Just Want You To Know

Someday We'll Know

The flash of the cameras was blinding.  He resisted the urge to shade his eyes with his arm.  Taking a moment to gather himself, his thoughts wandered to the woman next to him.  To his left sat the most beautiful woman he'd ever seen.  Strong and fiercely loyal but still feminine and delicate, she was the greatest fortune in his life.  He turned to look at her and smiled as their eyes met.  She's so beautiful.  Just like the day I met her. 

 

 

 

"Jong Kook oppa" Eun Hye called, waving excitedly.  It was 2006 and Jong Kook was preparing to leave for his mandatory military service.  He wanted to leave quietly, without a fuss, but his plans were spoiled when Eun Hye found out.  Though she was shooting her new drama, she nevertheless planned a party to send him off.  When he found out, he tried to convince her not to do anything but she wouldn't take no for an answer.  He came to her drama set to talk and ask her one last time to cancel the party.

"Nope.  Oppa, you're going to be gone for 2 years.  How can you not want to say goodbye?"  Eun Hye turned him down. Jong Kook hated to admit it, but he didn't want a party because he was scared.  Scared that 2 years would end his entertainment career.  It happened to so many singers and actors.  Their career arcs inevitably altered by their service.  It'd be better not to have a party and not have to face the end.

"Eun Hye yah, please" he almost begged.  He wasn't really comfortable in parties and desperately wanted out.  "Does this make any sense?  How can you throw a party for someone who doesn't want one?"  As he argued with her, he noticed a breathtakingly beautiful young woman walk towards the set.  She stopped right behind the cameras and started chatting to a writer or PD.  

Jong Kook was so distracted, he didn't understand what Eun Hye was saying to him.  "....So you'll be there.  You promised" she said, grabbing his hand and connecting their thumbs in a pinky swear gesture.  Happy with herself, she sauntered off.

Cursing under his breath, Jong Kook turned back to look for the pretty woman.  He stared at her, trying to get a mental picture.  2 years in the army.  Remember this.  

A few days later, Jong Kook was miserable at his own party.  He'd already said his goodbyes to his friends and now was stuck having to meet and greet people he really didn't care all that much about.  So he was very happy when Haha pulled him aside.

"Hyung, I got you a little present."  Looking around conspiratorially, he handed Jong Kook a small, thin rectangular package. Jong Kook unwrapped it to find a series of pictures of female celebrities.  BoA, S.E.S, FinkL.  "Yah" he said upset but amused.  He punched Haha in the shoulder. "Your welcome hyung" laughed Haha.  He decided to tease Jong Kook one last time.  "If you ever get lonely in the army..."  He ran as Jong Kook rushed after him. 

It was a funny joke, Jong Kook had to admit.  Scanning through the pictures, he noticed Haha had included the promotional pictures from Eun Hye's drama. His heart picked up as he looked through with more interest.  I wonder if that pretty girl is there.  And there she was.  Perfect in a dress, standing back to back with the main lead.  Jong Kook sighed and put the photo back with the rest.  Suddenly, he was very grateful for Haha's gift.

 

As soon as the other soldiers walked out, Jong Kook went to his locker and pulled out the picture.  The picture was starting to wear around the edges but Jong Kook really didn't notice.  His eyes were glued to hers.  Song Ji Hyo.  While the other soldiers had shown off their pictures of idols and actresses with pride, Jong Kook was too embarrassed to show her.  So he looked at the picture in secret.  

Just two more weeks.  In two weeks he'd be done.  His grand return was all planned out.  He was going to join Jae Suk on Family Outing.  He had plans for a new album.  And he was booked on Inkigayo.  Hosted by her.  Song Ji Hyo.  

(I Do)
Can You look at one person for the rest of your life?
(I Do)
Can you care for someone else, More than you do yourself
(I Do)
I Can answer Whoever Asks me
(I Do)
You, You're my love

Jong Kook sang out on stage, his first performance since coming back.  The nerves threatened to overwhelm him but after a few seconds, the familiar rhythms and beats came back and soon it was like he'd never been gone.  

I Love You, More Than I did yesterday
I have never met someone so important and precious to me, that it hurts
To meet you, to feel this happiness
I must have dealt with a lot of pain

"Wah, The 'One Man' has returned from the army and he's still still delicious...cool" Ji Hyo inwardly cringed at her malapropism.  (In Korean, the words for delicious and cool differ are very similar...the mistake doesn't make as much sense in English)

From backstage, Jong Kook smiled as he heard Ji Hyo's mistake.  Though years had passed since he'd last seen her in person, she was still as beautiful as he remembered.  She still got his heart racing, made his head spin and gave his stomach butterflies.   He could only hope that she would feel the same.

"Song Ji Hyo shi, can I talk to you for a moment?" he asked, unsure of what to do but committed to doing it anyway.  Most of the staff and performers were gone but there were enough people around to make him uncomfortable.  He lead her down the hall, trying to get some privacy for this moment.  "I just want you to know" he started.  

 

 

 

"I just want you to know" he said to the gathered cameras.  He turned back to his left and saw Ji Hyo smiling at him.  He took her hand in his and turned back to face the cameras.  "We just want you to know" he amended, "that Song Ji Hyo and I are engaged."  Suddenly, cameras started flashing and reporters sat up straighter and began paying attention.  "We're sorry for keeping it a secret for so long" he said, feeling the nerves begin to recede.  He squeezed her hand for support and she squeezed back.  "I hope you can all support us and we'll be happy together."  

They answered questions for a few minutes before their managers ended the press conference and escorted the press from the room.  Alone at last, Jong Kook turned to JI Hyo and gave her a quick kiss.  Pulling back, he her hair, brushing it from her face and looked deep into her eyes.  "I just want you to know" he whispered.  She gave him a quick kiss back, shutting him up.  As she broke the kiss, he started to finish his sentence but she put a finger to his lips, shushing him.  "I love you" she finished his thought.