Starbucks Lovers

Someday We'll Know

Yes, I know the song is really titled Blank Space and there is no "Starbucks Lovers" line but I hear that every time and felt it was a nice song to write a story about.

 

"Gary said we should date just for the show" said Ji Hyo, a little surprised at the quick little story she'd come up with.  Gary had said no such thing.  But this was TV.  It was variety.  She needed to say something.  Improvisation had never been her strong suit.  But it was too late now.  She'd said it.  Within hours it would be all over the internet.  "Oppa I'm sorry" she thought to herself.

Gary was surprised to hear Ji Hyo make up such a blatant lie.  Though, to her credit, the story did sound somewhat believable.  If nothing else, it continued on the "Monday Couple" pairing that was all smoke and mirrors.  There was nothing there.  Not that Gary liked it that way.  He'd always been attracted to her but getting to know her and seeing how strong and capable she was, it was more than just a mere crush.  Of course, he'd never said so, but still, a guy could hope right?


Ji Hyo ducked into the Starbucks and let out a deep, contented sigh.  It was so nice and warm inside.  Outside, Seoul was freezing, with wind gusts that brought the cold deep to your bones.  She immediately lined up, not even bothering to look at the menu boards.  She already knew what she wanted.

Approaching the cashier, she asked for an Americano, extra hot.  Unable to find money in her coat pocket to pay for her drink, she placed her purse on the counter and began to rummage through, looking for some cash.  In order to get a better look, she removed her sunglasses and placed them on the counter next to her purse, forgetting that they were hiding her face.  She didn't realize her mistake until she triumphantly handed over enough spare change to pay for her drink and saw the cashier giving her a curious look.  Unwilling to engage with fans, she quickly slid her glasses back on her face and tried to act as if she was not a celebrity.  

"Are you?" the cashier began to ask and panicking, Ji Hyo quickly turned away so as not to let her get a good look of her face.  "No no" she said, waving her hand.  She grabbed her purse and tucked it under her arm and started to walk off but the cashier called out.  "Hey Miss!" Ji Hyo turned to see the cashier holding her change out in her outstretched hand.  "You forgot your change."  Embarrassed, Ji Hyo walked back and pocketed the change, all the while trying to convince herself that she wasn't acting super strange and that normal people did such things all the time.  

She was so distracted, she didn't hear the barista calling out her name for the order.  "Ji Min!" called the barista.  "Americano for Ji Min!"  The cashier, waved at her to get her drink but Ji Hyo was spaced out in her own world.  The cashier shrugged and pointed her out to the barista who very kindly walked over to give her the drink.  

Ji Hyo finally snapped back to reality when the cute young barista waved a hand in front of her face. "Hello?  Miss Ji Min shi?" she called, holding out the drink in her hands.  Ji Hyo looked down at the drink stupidly.  Does she not recognize me?  I'm not Ji Min.  But why is she talking to me.  She looked back up at the barista, glad that she was wearing sunglasses to disguise her identity.  "Your Americano" the barista said, a little confused by what was going on.  

Oh right.  Crap.  I am Ji Min.  My Starbucks name.  As a celebrity and a coffee addict, Ji Hyo never used her real name when ordering coffee.  She just used a fake name to order.  In this case, she had ordered as Ji Min.  

"Ah thanks" she said, silently wishing she was dead.  She grabbed the beverage and sipped it slowly, trying to be inconspicuous.  She felt her phone vibrate and was glad for the interruption.  Reaching into her purse, she unlocked the screen and saw a new message from Gary.  "What are you doing?" the message read.  Ji Hyo didn't really understand why he was asking that but she started to text a response when another message came in.  "How could you steal Ji Min's drink? Haha"

Ji Hyo gasped as she read the 2nd message.  How could he have known.  She turned in her seat slowly, scanning the room.  She saw him in the corner, hat on, bundled up in a big coat with sunglasses covering his face.  Even after all that effort, she could easily tell it was him.  He nodded in her direction to acknowledge her then held up his phone.  Sure enough, she felt her phone vibrate in her hand and she opened his message. "We should leave before someone sees."  

He was right of course.  Being seen together at a coffee shop with no apparent excuse would be scandalous.  Especially after her little white lie the other day.  The Monday Couple was that popular.  

Looking around, Ji Hyo knew they were in trouble.  With no customers, the baristas and cashiers were busy tapping away at their phones.  Her 6th sense, so honed from years of nametag ripping, was sounding the alarm.  She could feel the eyes of other patrons looking at her.  She knew the game was up as she turned and their conversations hushed.  It was dead quiet.  

Her phone buzzed in her hand yet again in her hand.  "Too late" it said.  Ji Hyo had just finished reading the text when the telltale flash of a camera went off in her peripheral vision.  She looked up to see the cashier with her phone, looking guilty.  She stood up and immediately, a teenage girl came up from her seat and approached her.  

"Excuse me, could you sign this for me?" she asked, holding out a napkin.  Ji Hyo was stuck.  Clearly, she had been exposed.  To refuse now would be rude and reflect badly on her image.  On the other hand, she couldn't stay with Gary in the same place.  Also, she was tired and cold and didn't want to sign the napkin.  She decided to try to lie her way out of her jam.

"I'm sorry, I think you have the wrong person" she said, inflecting her voice down to give it a deep bass.  She fought to keep her face composed and the feeling of panic welling up in her gut.  She tried to extricate herself from the girl and her friend who had come over, camera-phone in hand, ready to take a picture or two.  "I really have to go.  I... I..."

By now, a small crowd had started to gather around her and some passersby on the street were glancing in, wondering what was going on.  She had to get out in a hurry.  Unable to push through, she struggled to find her way to the exit without touching the fans coming to take a look.  

In her peripheral vision, she saw Gary get out of his seat and slink towards the exit unseen.  If he could get out unrecognized, there would be no scandal.  Upset at how thing were going but seeing no other choice, she finally gave up the game in order to draw even more attention to herself and give Gary the opportunity to escape.  She wrapped her arm around the girl and bent down, posing with the "V"sign for a picture.  "Say cheese" she gritted through her teeth, trying to sound happy.  Hurry up and get out of here so I can too!

Gary made it to the door but as he reached out, a fangirl from outside came running into the store.  Temporarily trapped by the door frame and Gary, she looked up to look at the man blocking her way.  Immediately, she recognized him.  "Oh my God!  Kang Gary!" she said aloud, voice high with excitement.  

OH CRAP!  As soon as she heard that name, Ji Hyo knew she was screwed.  Fans all over the store began jumping up and down with excitement.  People were taking pictures and sharing them on social media through their phones.  Fans rushed from Gary to Ji Hyo and back, slowly putting together a story that satisfied their fantasies.  "They're dating!!!!" she heard a woman scream over all the ruckus.  No longer worried about her image, Ji Hyo pushed through, trying to get out as fast as possible and get away.  Unfortunately, Gary was still stuck by the door and so to the outside world, it just looked like she was rushing to him.  She wound up next to him, both of of them surrounded by a group of fans, unable to traverse the door.  

With all hope of making a clean exit lost, Gary decided to take advantage of the opportunity.  Chances like this didn't come around very often.  He snuck his right arm across Ji Hyo's shoulders and pulled her close.  Grabbing the door, he paused for a moment to allow for a picture then pushed his way through, gently pushing past fans who came too close and pulling Ji Hyo out behind him.  To the outside world, it looked like a gesture of affection.  And in his heart, it was.  Even if Ji Hyo didn't know.  He'd have all week to tell her how he felt.  It was a new year after all.  They were the Monday Couple.  There was no harm in trying.