Chapter III

Far Longer Than Forever

Sorry form the delay, my master's degree is eating me alive, seriously and this weekend was our Independece Day sooo, I was busy. Plus, I had to do some research about celtic mythology for this chapter. I hope this won't disappoint you, I tried my best no to confuse anyone and to let the things flow the most natural possible since, well, it's a fairly tale soooo anything can happen right?

Please, enjoy, and drop a comment would ya'? Your comments are my food.

Léamh sona = Happy reading!

 


 

Chapter III

It was the ninth summer that Pilkyo had spent in Shinhwa’s Kingdom since he had memory, he was seventeen by now; the most dreadful news brought the Mun’s Castle into a slumber. The King Saenyun, who had acquired an unknown illness was getting weaker by the days and the entire Kingdom was expecting a miracle to save his Sovereign. That year, King Yeonchool sent Pilkyo and Junjin to the Mun’s Castle earlier than expected accompanied by Dongwan, six of his best men, two maids, Master Lee Jihoon and Pilkyo’s page, Taehak.

Mun’s Castle seemed darker while the caravan approached the gates. The three young men stood still in front of the gate while Master Lee Jihoon got closer to the soldiers announcing that Jung’s party was there to see the Queen. The gates opened in front of them and Pilkyo almost shivered with cold. One of the maids welcomed them and leaded the group into the Great Throne Hall where an eighteen-years-old Prince Jonghyuk was waiting for them; the three men did a bow in front of the boy who suddenly looked stern. The Prince dismissed the maid and just then he could see, as in really see his companions; his smile was a little broken and Pilkyo felt so sorry for him. It couldn’t be easy for an eighteen years old boy to be in the throne. Minwoo and Sunho were by his side, Sunho looked so tired but compared to Jonghyuk he was fine.

“Your Highness…” Minwoo nodded towards Pilkyo who acknowledged him, fully dressed in royal clothes and looking tiredly to his friends. “You’re here.”

“Hi Minwoo,” Pilkyo hugged the young Lord. Meanwhile, Junjin was instantly next to Sunho who was looking at him torn between happy and sad. “Sunho-ah…,” the younger prince looked in his direction and Pilkyo immediately opened his arms to receive a fifteen years old boy in them.

They went silent during the next couple of minutes while Sunho basked in the warmness of Pilkyo’s arms. The Crown Prince rubbed his back and caressed his hair trying to get rid of everything.

“Have you any sleep?” Pilkyo asked Sunho, who shook his head. “Jinnie, would you accompany him to his room, please?” Junjin smiled a bit and nodded eagerly.

“B-but hyung needs me…” Sunho stuttered while looking at his older brother who sighed and massaged his temple.

“And make sure he sleeps at least two hours, ok?” Pilkyo ignored Sunho and ordered his cousin.

“Yes, hyung,” Junjin picked up Sunho and put him on his shoulder like he was some potatoes sack.

The two boys went to the little prince’s chambers while the rest sighed defeated. Minwoo and Dongwan excused themselves in order to get some rest while Pilkyo was left behind with a moody Prince Jonghyuk. The Prince was still massaging his temple when suddenly a cold hand made its way to his forehead and cheeks, he didn’t need to open his eyes to know who belong those hands.

“You have lost weight,” his voice was like a balm to his tired soul. Jonghyuk kept his eyes closed and snuggled into Pilkyo’s hands. How much he missed him these past months. “Have you eaten well?”

“I didn’t have appetite,” Jonghyuk murmured and opened his brown eyes, looking into Pilkyo’s. Changjo’s Crown Prince smiled a bit to the man in front of him. “But now you’re here.”

“Yes, I am here,” Pilkyo slid his fingers through Jonghyuk’s face. He wanted to embrace him so much, but they were in the middle of the Throne Hall and they had many soldiers around them.

Suddenly the big door opened and Sir Lee Jonghyun, one of the best soldiers in Shinhwa, entered the room and did a bow to both princes. “You Highness, your mother, the Queen had sent you to take a rest for the time being. She’ll be taking care of the Kingdom’s matters from now on. And she wants to ask for your company tonight for dinner since she couldn’t greet the Jung’s Prince.”

“Thank you, Jonghyun, tell my mother that we’ll attend the dinner tonight,” the Crown Prince smiled weakly.

“Oh and, Jonghyun, can you please tell Auntie that it’s ok,” Pilkyo smiled and Sir Jonghyun nodded before going out. Once again they were alone. “Now you have the rest of the evening. What would yo-…”

Pilkyo was silenced by Jonghyuk who suddenly stood up and grabbed his wrist, while dragging quickly to the door behind the Throne. It had a passage that lead to the upper level where they could reach for Jonghyuk’s bedroom faster. Once the door was closed, Jonghyuk held Pilkyo in his arms and hid his face into the Prince’s neck; he let out a long sigh and relented in the feeling of having his Prince finally with him.

“I missed you, Kyo-ah.”

“I missed you too,” the sweet muffle that came from his mouth felt incredibly superb in Jonghyuk’s ears. Pilkyo sneaked his arms around him and rubbed his back while Jonghyuk nuzzled his neck. “Aren’t you tired? You look extremely exhausted.”

“Please, let us be like this some more… Please…,” Jonghyuk whined. Pilkyo chuckled a pushed the Prince away.

“Brat,” Pilkyo commented. “Now, up to you bed. I’ll stay here while you’re sleeping, ok?” Jonghyuk nodded while Pilkyo unhooked his cape and the royal seal that hung on his chest; he removed the hauberk and his boots. “Now, sleep.” He ordered again and pushed the young Prince until he laid down.

“Kyo-ah,” Jonghyuk whined again and looked like a kicked puppy. “Could you please laid down with me?”

Prince Pilkyo gasped at his petition and looked at Prince Jonghyuk bewildered. The eighteen-years-old Prince was sitting on his bed with a huge grin plastered on his face; his big dark brown eyes didn’t have a single ounce of malice. He nodded and stripped from his own cape and boots; then, Pilkyo laid down next to the Prince who immediately snuggled closer, sneaking his arms around his waist and placing his head on his chest.

Jonghyuk listened to the beat of Pilkyo’s heart, at first it was quickly and irregular, but somehow it relaxed a bit later. Pilkyo wrapped Jonghyuk’s shoulders with his left arm while the Crown Prince smiled tiredly; with his free hand Pilkyo ran his fingers through the Prince’s hair. Jonghyuk almost purred with the action and Pilkyo giggled pleased. How much both wanted to stay like that forever; no, far longer than forever. Being in each other arms, enjoying the company and the silence. Basking in the love of one another.

“Kyo-ah,” Jonghyuk murmured half asleep. Pilkyo hummed in response. “Will you marry me someday?”

Changjo’s Prince stopped his movements. Was he talking seriously? Because if he was, he would be delighted to do so. Since they started with the courtship, Pilkyo always thought about the future.  How would they be together? Was it even possible? How does their parents will react? Those questions were always in his mind and sometimes Pilkyo worried about those unanswered questions.

A sweet grip brought him from his daydreaming. Jonghyuk was hugging him stronger and his breathing was steady now. He was finally asleep. Pilkyo slid his finger through his cheeks and cupped his face; his heartbeat fluttered while looking at his Prince. Jonghyuk was his, wasn’t he? A warm smile appeared in Pilkyo’s face, no doubt Jonghyuk was so handsome, with big brown eyes, a manly jaw and those full lips that invited him to taste. Pilkyo leaned to the Prince and left a soft kiss on his lips; Jonghyuk sighed as if he knew.

“I will, Jonghyuk-ah,” Pilkyo whispered before closing his eyes waiting for sleep to take over.

 

The chamber was in silence, the dim light of the torch. Suddenly the door opened and a young male with a body over his shoulder made his way into the chamber. Junjin dropped Sunho on the bed while the younger boy pouted and crossed his arms.

“Yah!” Sunho yelled at the older boy. “I’m not a sack of flour you now!”

“I know, Sunho-ah,” Junjin cupped his face and gave him a kiss on the forehead. “Pilkyo-hyung and I are worried about you. Now, be a good boy and rest a little, ok?”

Junjin jumped over the bed and dragged Sunho to his arms; the younger Prince just let him do whatever he liked with him. Both were entangled in arms and legs and Sunho was snuggling closer to Junjin’s chest. Speaking the truth, Sunho loved the way Junjin always found the perfect excuse to hug him; each summer they met their hearts jumped happily. Both knew how they felt towards each other, even when none of them had spoken out loud about it

Junjin Sunho’s hair and the boy looked up at him. “Mom said to expect the worst about my father,” Sunho whispered. “I… I don’t know if I can handle it…”

“My love, don’t think about it right now, ok?” Junjin kissed his forehead. “I’ll be here for you, Sunho-ah, I promise,” the older boy leaned forward and gave the young prince a peck on the lips. “Now, sleep a little, would you?”

 

Weeks passed by, the Kingdom sank into a cold and silent place. Jonghyuk was taking care of the Kingdom while the Queen stayed in the King’s room most of the times. On the eighth month, Pilkyo sent for his father; something inside him was tingling and hurting, but he hadn’t told anyone not Junjin, not Dongwan, not even Jonghyuk.

Pilkyo was in the library, sitting on the ledge of the window with a book over his legs, but he was looking outside at the dark clouds around the Kingdom. Once more the tingling sensation came and he brought his hand instinctively to his left side, rubbing the spot.

“What’s wrong, Pilkyo-ah?” Minwoo’s voice startled him and the Prince stopped his hand.

“Oh Minbong! You scared me!” Pilkyo pouted and the young Lord just pinched his cheek.

“I saw you rubbing your chest, is it everything really alright, Pilkyo?” Minwoo took seat in front of Pilkyo and looked deeply into his eyes. Changjo’s Prince sighed heavily. Maybe until his father arrives to the Mun’s Castle he can count on Minwoo.

“I don’t know what’s wrong, to said the truth,” Prince Pilkyo looked outside the window. “I just have this tingling in my heart. Like… Something is coming Minwoo. Something bad.”

He felt a pang in his heart along with the last words he spoke. That was it, something was coming and that was driving him crazy. Pilkyo didn’t want to think that his feeling was about the King dying, but in the depths of his heart, maybe that was it. If he had the power to heal the King he would have, because he didn’t want Jonghyuk to go through the pain of losing his father.

“Pilkyo, don’t stress yourself over it…” Minwoo brought him into an embrace and his hair. “I know the atmosphere in the Kingdom isn’t the best, but… please, try to cope with it.”

Pilkyo nodded, but the anguish didn’t go away with just that.

And then, several days later the worst outcome came to the Kingdom. The King died.

The Queen and his sons were by his side when it happened. It was during night, when he was going to sleep and he didn’t suffer anymore. Junjin and Dongwan were a Pilkyo's chambers quiet and solemn; they didn't know what to do. They haven’t had the chance to see the Princes or the Queen. The Castle was in a chaos, seemed like nobody knew what to do and Minwoo was taking care of everything.

The door opened and Minwoo came inside the room with dark circles under his eyes. It had been two days already and he was preparing for the burial ceremony. He had a cut on his shoulder that Dongwan immediately recognized.

“Minwoo, what happened?” Dongwan ran to his side and examined the wound, it wasn’t deeply really.

“Angry Jonghyuk happened,” Minwoo rolled his eyes. Pilkyo got pale and stood up.

“Why did he beat you up?” Junjin asked then.

“Ha! As if… He tried, but I managed to dodge him,” Minwoo sat next to Dongwan who was now bringing some clean clothes and warm water for the wound. “We were training, well… he was trying to vent his sorrow.”

Pilkyo didn’t hear anything else, he walked out the room and marched to where Jonghyuk was. The training room. When he got there the Queen was standing on the frame door with a gloomy face.

“My Queen…” Pilkyo spoke slowly. The woman turned around and gave a tranquil smile to the young man. Pilkyo approached her and embraced the woman; he knew she was in need of it. “I’m so sorry…”

“Don’t be, Kyo-ah,” the woman kissed his forehead tenderly. “I loved him, and he loved me back and he gave me two handsome sons. He lived well and he did well while he was alive,” the Queen smiled again and looked inside the room where Jonghyuk was now hitting a flour sack which was hanging. “I’m worried about him. He doesn’t eat or sleep properly. Maybe you can do something about that temper of his, could you?”

“Yes, mom,” Pilkyo smiled too and the Queen did the same; she loved when Pilkyo called her mom, it was a guilty pleasure they had.

When the Queen was gone, Pilkyo took a deep breath before heading inside the training room. He closed the door and locked it with a nog. Jonghyuk noticed his presence and refused to look at him, he didn’t want to deal with Pilkyo right now. He felt so enraged, if he confronted Pilkyo maybe he will yell at him or even worst punch him.

“Get out, Pilkyo,” Jonghyuk’s voice sounded so stern, but it didn’t bothered the young Prince. “Didn’t you hear me? I said get out.”

“I won’t go anywhere Jonghyuk-ah,” Pilkyo stood in front of him with a sword on his hand. Jonghyuk sneered at him and rolled his eyes. “Wanna try to beat me out?”

“Pilkyo, don’t provoke me,” Jonghyuk said with gritted teeth.

“Oh! You’re afraid. You’re gonna lose anyway,” Pilkyo twirled the sword and pointed to the Prince.

That was it. Pilkyo realized his word took effect because suddenly Jonghyuk was charging against him with his sword above his head. Pilkyo blocked it, though, it was difficult but years of training together had an effect on him. They danced along the swords, Pilkyo could tell that Jonghyuk was being sloppy and clumsy with his lunges. The s were full of anger and sorrow; the worst came when Jonghyuk lost his sword and instead of stopping he ran against Pilkyo with his fist ready to hit his face.

But Pilkyo knew. And he dodged the best he could every hit, but the punches came even more wrathful. So just once, he looked at Jonghyuk with a welcoming smile when his fist landed on his chin. Pilkyo fell backwards feeling the pain on his chin and a little hint of blood from his mouth; he closed his eyes and tried to focus again since he felt like his sight was a little blurry. Then, Pilkyo heard a heavy thud.

When he opened his eyes, he found Jonghyuk kneeled, breathing heavily and staring at the floor. Pilkyo sat on the floor rubbing his chin and looking at the tired Jonghyuk. Shinhwa’s Prince was still in shock, how could he? How could he punch his beautiful Pilkyo? How could he lose his temper like that? This wasn’t what his father taught him? Dad, Jonghyuk thought and for a split of second he immersed into the memory of his dying father.

Pilkyo got startled when he heard a soft sob. It was so heartbreaking and mournful. Changjo’s Prince forgot about the pain on his chin and crawled to meet Jonghyuk; Pilkyo didn’t say a thing, he just hugged his shoulders and let Jonghyuk to mourn all he wanted. Jonghyuk gave up his weight into Pilkyo’s embrace and clung to his back, letting all the sorrow and misery to drain from his heart.

“He… He’s gone…” Jonghyuk whispered between sobs.

Pilkyo felt the pain in his heart and he wanted to cry too. All those years he had looked up to this young Prince who was like a God to him; Jonghyuk could be the most spoiled and annoying brat, but also he was the strongest guy he had ever met. Pilkyo absolutely didn’t like it when he saw how the person he cherished the most was crumbling in front of his eyes. What could he, a Prince of a falling Kingdom, do for him? He really wanted to be of some help, so the only thing he could think of was to sing

Through the stars, through the snow, through the memories

I’m looking for your footprints

I pray you rest peacefully for all eternity

This is the middle of the dream

With wings that still can’t fly, I run up the hill

When I stray from the path I close my eyes and keep going

Through the stars, through the snow, through the memories

I’m looking for your footprints

I pray you rest peacefully for all eternity

This is the middle of the dream

Pilkyo started to hum a song. It was a woeful song, his husky and calm voice hummed the notes. His vocal chords left a lingering feeling of calmness and Jonghyuk started to feel better. He still remembered 9 years ago when he mocked Pilkyo’s ability to sing when Junjin boasted about it to his little brother. But now, he was totally agree with Junjin, Pilkyo’s voice was marvelous.

Something unexpected happened when Pilkyo was still singing, with each word that escaped from his mouth a warm feeling placed on his hands, and something white glowed behind them and immediately Jonghyuk stopped his crying. Pilkyo got scared and got away from Jonghyuk’s embrace, stumbling while standing up. His hands were still glowing a bit, a warm lingering sensation still on his hands.

“W-what is this?” Pilkyo asked himself and looked up at Jonghyuk, who just blinked. “Are you ok? Did I hurt you in some way?”

“I’m fine, Kyo-ah,” Jonghyuk tried to approach him but Pilkyo took a step back, afraid of himself. “In fact, I’m feeling really relieved after what you did, whatever it was,” Shinhwa’s soon-to-be King embraced the young Prince and kissed his temple. “I’m good, Pilkyo, really. Don’t think about it…”

The burial was held that same night. The Kingdom bid their last farewell to their last King by lighting a candle on their windows. The Queen and the two Princes set up a big bonfire where the body of the King was set on fire. The glowing episode Jonghyuk and Pilkyo experienced was forgotten for the rest of the summer, and even Changjo’s heir didn’t mention to his father.

The rest of that year Pilkyo, Junjin and Dongwan remained at the castle, accompanying the Queen and the Princes, it was until the eleventh month, when the fall was going away and the weather was getting colder that Pilkyo recalled the scene in the training room with Jonghyuk. He was at the Royal Greenhouse taking care of some calla lilies that the Queen Jungsoon had been growing through the year; some of the flowers looked a bit down, as if they were dying. Pilkyo looked at the flowers and the leaves, they seemed a bit sick and he wasn’t sure why since he was taking care of them by per Queen’s permission.

“What should I do?” Pilkyo whined a bit. “Why do you look so gloomy? Am I not taking care of you?”

The Prince sighed unhappy. Those were her mother’s favorite flowers and the Queen Jungsoon had left them in his charge, so why? Pilkyo puffed his cheeks childishly, then he sighed and took the fertilizer and a scoop to remove the dirt. He started to hum again, the same old song he had heard once from his master Jihoon; he knew it was in another language but the notes were so easy and calming.

Then again, he felt so much peace while humming and working with the plants. His hands moved almost on his own and one by one the flowers who looked so gloomy and sad suddenly looked alive. Prince Pilkyo stopped his song and the leaves and flowers seemed to freeze again, was his singing casting some sort of spell on the flowers? Pilkyo sighed and resumed his humming once again, and the flowers started to move a little.

“W-what…?” Pilkyo retreated his hands and looked a bit nervous and scared around. “What was happening?!”

“It’s called brontannas, Your Highness,” a soft voice surprised the young Prince. “I’m sorry for the intrusion, Your Highness.”

“N-no, it’s okay,” Pilkyo looked at his Master, Jihoon, who was strolling near the roses. “Y-you said brontannas, what does it means?”

Brontannas is the Irish word for gift,” Jihoon smiled and smelled a white rose. “Did you experience something similar before, Pilkyo-ah?”

The Prince hesitated before nodding. “Once, when Late King Saenyun passed away. Prince Jonghyuk was so broken and…” Pilkyo bit his lower lip. “I started singing. My hands felt warm and they… glowed,” the last word was whispered.

“Ah, yes,” Jihoon smiled tenderly to his disciple. “Pilkyo, you were roghnaithe by the Gods. And I mean, you were chosen.”

Jihoon let the words sunk into the Prince. He saw the surprise and the confusion right there in his almond eyes. Pilkyo staggered a bit and was held by Jihoon who took him to the next bench he found inside the greenhouse. Pilkyo’s mind was a chaos, what was that about? He? Chosen by the Gods? Why? How? When?

“W-what are you talking about?” Pilkyo tried to escape but Jihoon held him by the wrist. When Pilkyo looked back he gasped when he realized that his Master’s appearance had changed. Jihoon was good looking, a little tanned with his dark brown eyes which held a mystery inside. But now, Jihoon looked more refined, like an aristocrat, his face looked flawless and even paler than before. Also, his ears looked elongated, and his eyes were now light blue. “What the hell?!”

“Let me introduce myself again, Prince,” Jihoon kneeled down, bowing his head. “My name is Lee Jihoon, treoir a thabhairt. I was entrusted as your guide, when your gifts awaken on your eighteenth birthday. But it seems like the circumstances were rushed a couple of days. Will you listen to me, Prince? Don’t you want to know about your mother?”

“M-my mother?” Pilkyo blinked a few times and nodded hesitantly, still dumbfounded with the new appearance of his teacher.

Master Jihoon and Prince Pilkyo walked around the Greenhouse, and sat next to a middle size tree.

“As you can see, my appearance has changed. I’m an elf, a magical creature. Your mother used to live in another country where the magic still lingers,” Pilkyo was about to interrupt. “Oh no, my Prince, your mother wasn’t an elf, she was just another human being. But she believed in us and in our magic; the people in her town used to respect our world and we respected theirs,” Pilkyo draw his knees to his chest, listening to his master. “As you may know, your mother were a delicate woman and when she married your father, the King, she was determined to give the King an heir. She devoted herself to be healthy enough to conceive, she went once or twice times per year to her old country just to pray to Sirona, a healing deity. Sirona heard her prayers and she allowed her to be healthy enough to give birth to you,” Pilkyo tilted his head a little. “However, Sirona couldn’t save her, so your mother, the Queen, asked the Gods to protect you. Your mother’s prayers were heard by the Mother Goddess, Dana, and she granted your protection.”

“How does this protection works?” Pilkyo asked. Jihoon looked at him, amused at how calm and mature his disciple looked. “What?”

“You seem more calm, my Prince,” Jihoon ruffled his hair and Pilkyo pouted rearranging the strands of hair. “The Great Mother granted your health and some magic, like the one you had experienced. Since Sirona allowed your mother to give birth to you, you have some healing powers which can be deployed by your emotions.”

Pilkyo remained silent for a while, trying to digest everything. Yeah, he was absorbing everything he could because something inside his heart was telling him to just trust this person. Even when his mother wasn’t with him during this growth, he was really thankful to her because she gave birth to him and allowed him to have his father and to meet great people around. Jihoon smiled, he could feel it, the turmoil his Prince had was subsiding and it wasn’t because of the spell he casted on him, but because Pilkyo’s heart and soul were developing their own magic.

“So…, am I gonna be some sort of sorcerer?” Prince Pilkyo asked. Jihoon laughed heartily, Pilkyo was still his own self, innocent and pure, the Great Mother could be pleased and happy because her son was a great human being with a big heart.

“You could say that,” Jihoon told him. “I was sent to your Kingdom when you were born, and my fear célie, Kangta entrusted you to me.”

“D-does my father knows about me?” Pilkyo asked again, a little worried.

“Yes, your father the King knows,” the young heir sighed relieved. “He let you in my care when he’s not around.”

“What will happen next?” The young Prince asked looking at his feet. “Am I going to a faraway land to train my powers?” Jihoon smiled.

“No, it’s not necessary, Prince,” Jihoon stood up and lent the Prince a hand. “You’ll train with me after your eighteen birthday, like a normal training session.”

“Am I allowed to tell my friends?” The Prince let out his thoughts and then he closed his mouth, a bit concerned about it.

“Just if you want, my Prince,” Pilkyo grinned. “However, you must know that if this leak out to other countries, people will come to seek for you,” Jihoon took a deep breath. “And they will try to ask your hand in marriage, women or men,” Pilkyo paled. “Unless…”

“Unless?” he bit his lips.

“Unless you have found your consort,” Jihoon looked how his words took effect on the poor Prince. His cheeks turned red in an instant and he lowered his gaze, embarrassed. “Don’t be ashamed, my Prince, since your magic works similar to and elf, no one can blame you if you chose a consort of the same gender. For us, is natural to engage with men or women. Don’t be afraid, roghnaithe, you’ll be fine.”

That night, Pilkyo went to sleep with a bunch of things in his head. How could he tell the others that he was some sort of fairy? No, not fairy, the Chosen One by the Gods. What if Jonghyuk didn’t want him anymore after this? And what it Dongwan and Junjin get far away from him just because of this?

Stop thinking, roghnaithe, Pilkyo startled and sat down at his bed looking around just to realize he was alone. Since your head is in a turmoil, I can sense everything, Prince. You need to rest, allow me to help you.

The sound of a song entered his head, like a balm, healing and shutting down his nerves. It was like magic, even when it was just a humming, the song seemed like a spell because in no time, Pilkyo closed his eyes, feeling relieved and tired. 

 


 

NOTES:

Brontannas: Means gifts. Not like presents but the kind of gifts that can heal, something magical.

Treoir a thabhairt: Means guide. Someone who will guide Pilkyo through the development of his gifts.

Roghnaithe: Means chosen. The Chosen One.

Sirona: In Celtic polytheism, Sirona was a goddess worshipped predominantly in East Central Gaul and along the Danubian limes. A healing deity, she was associated with healing springs; her attributes were snakes and eggs.

Elf: An elf (plural: elves) is a type of supernatural being in Germanic mythology and folklore.[1][2] Early elves, whose description depends almost entirely on Norse mythology texts, were a race of beings with magical skills, ambivalent towards humans and capable of either helping or hindering them. But Christianized societies were viewing elves in increasingly sinister light.

Dana: In Irish mythology, Danu ([ˈdanu]; modern Irish Dana [ˈd̪ˠanˠə]) is the mother goddess of the Tuatha Dé Danann (Old Irish: "The peoples of the goddess Danu"). Though primarily seen as an ancestral figure, some Victorian sources also associate her with the land.

Fear célie: Husband, consort.