Chapter II

Far Longer Than Forever

Heeelllo there!! I was supposed to update yesterday, but yeah... a lot of things happened and chapter two wasn't finished. Buuut, already is!!! Yay for me! and yay for my little sister, Karla (14) who willingly proof read my writing and also helped me out with some synonyms kkkk... Please, feel free to comment, rant or whatever you want. Your comments are like food to me, and this week I've been really down sooo, anything could make me happy.

Also!... OMG 40 suscribers... is it real? *cries* Actually, on wednesday I gave the link to first chapter to my little sister and she half read it, but she read your comments and she said, and I quote: "Wow, sis. This people love you A WHOLE LOT!" She acknowledged all of youuu, kkkk she's sweet... :) I miss her, and my family too. But oh well... life is life, right?

Aaanyway, let's enjoy this chapter could we?

 

Chapter II

Six winters had passed since Queen Heesook’s death and the King felt like it had only been yesterday when his beautiful Queen came into his chamber to announce that she was pregnant. King Yeonchool smiled at the memory of his deceased Queen; it was the beginning of spring and the snow was melting around the castle, the calla lilies that his late Queen loved were blooming. He was about to look for his son when a little crying mess came running to his chamber and hid under the bed.

“Pilkyo-ah, what’s wrong?” The King asked his little one, who just sniffled under the bed. “Son…”

“Papa, why don’t I have a mom?” Pilkyo asked between sobs. “Sir Taejoon said that mom left because of me…” The King cursed under his breath while bringing his son to his arms. The boy rubbed his beautiful almond eyes and looked into his father’s.

“My son, your mother loved you so much, that she gave up her life for you…” The King kissed his son’s forehead and caressed his light brown hair. “You know? You resemble her so much.”

“Uncle Charlie told me that I look like you,” Pilkyo pouted and the King just chuckled.

“Yes, you look like me, but your voice and your eyes belong to your mother,” the King’s eyes softened while the little boy’s sparkled proudly. “Let’s go to the stables. Would you fancy a ride with your father?”

“Yes!” Yeonchool watched how his Little Prince ran to the stables with him on his heels.

Duke Park Youngchul, or Charlie Park as he liked to be called since he had traveled around the globe, was his late Queen’s cousin and every year since Heesook died he and his family had visited the young Prince. This year, Duke Park and his son –a year younger than his Pilkyo-, Junjin, would arrive in late spring because King Yeonchool wanted to spend the summer in Shinhwa’s castle accompanying his friends the Kings, and Duke Charlie was going to let Junjin spend more time with his cousin.

Late spring came faster than expected, and Duke Park with his young Junjin came to the castle where King Yeonchool and Crown Prince Pilkyo welcomed them with a feast. Pilkyo liked Junjin a lot, he always wanted to have a younger brother and Junjin was such a good little brother for him. He was a year younger and he used to follow him wherever he went.

“Pilkyo-ah,” King Yeonchool entered his room that evening, where Pilkyo was with Master Lee Jihoon learning about manners in court.

“Papa!” Pilkyo stood up and ran to hug his father who dismissed the young teacher. Pilkyo wore brown breeches and a white loose shirt, his light brown hair covered his forehead and part of his ears since it was long enough to do a little ponytail on his back.

“Look at my handsome boy,” King Yeonchool tickled his son who just giggled in his arms. “Guess what? Junjin and Duke Charlie just arrived…”

“Really?” Pilkyo smiled widely and jumped from his father’s lap and ran outside the room while screaming, “Jin-ah!" This voice reverberated through the corridors, while being chased by his maid and a young page boy named Hyun Taehak.

 

“Can you tell me why do I have to be here with you again?” Pilkyo whined two summers after the first time Junjin arrived to the castle, he was nine years old now and it had been just fifteen days since his younger cousin Junjin came back from visiting his father the Duke and his new mother. But suddenly his King told them they were going on a trip to their neighboring Kingdom, Shinhwa. He refused the idea immediately, he disliked Crown Prince Jonghyuk since two summers ago when they met.

He recalled when Queen Jungsoon welcomed them with a gorgeous smile and a warm embrace; Pilkyo could swear he remembered those arms. However when he was introduced to the boy next to the Queen, Pilkyo’s mouth felt dry; he was so damn handsome! How come a young boy like him could be that handsome? But unfortunately Crown Prince Jonghyuk was such a spoiled little brat. Then was young Prince Sunho, the youngest brother of Crown Prince. He was cute and kind of shy to others, since he was two years younger that Jonghyuk and Pilkyo.

That summer was a pain for Pilkyo, even when there were Sunho and Junjin for him, the constant bickering with Crown Prince Jonghyuk was just exhausting for his poor mind. And this summer seemed to be worst.

“Pilkyo-ah, it is common courtesy,” the King smiled and patted his hair. “And Jinnie is here too, so please, stop frowning and let’s greet King Saenyun and Queen Jungsoon.”

Pilkyo sighed defeated; he needed to do at least this much for his father. Junjin held his hand and walked next to him reassuring him that everything was going to be okay since, well, he was there with him. He liked Jonghyuk-hyung especially because he endured his pranks and even tricked him once, or twice; but what he liked the most about Jonghyuk-hyung was his little brother, Sunho, who was simply adorable to tease. Once they were welcomed into the castle, they were brought to the main throne where the Kings were expecting them.

“His Highness King Jung Yeonchool, Heir to the Throne Prince Pilkyo and Lord Park Junjin,” the herald announced.

The Kings stood up while the three men did a slight bow to the Kings. It is common courtesy, Pilkyo repeated to himself. But when he looked up to the throne he, once again, lost his ability to speak. There he was, the young Crown Prince with his royal clothing and his smirk; Pilkyo wanted to roll his eyes, but Junjin’s nudge prevented it.

“Pilkyo, my angel,” Queen Jungsoon approached him immediately and hugged the poor boy. Pilkyo smiled and let the woman embraced him.

“My Queen,” he said in a serious tone.

“Oh please, Pilkyo-ah, stop the formalities,” the Queen smiled and placed a soft kiss on his cheek. “Jinnie, you came!”

“Hello auntie, I did,” Junjin drew a broad smile. “I don’t see Sunho-ah, I mean, Prince Sunho,” Junjin blushed a bit.

“He’s with a cold resting in his chambers, would you like to pay him a visit?” Junjin and Pilkyo nodded eagerly. “Jonghyuk-ah, would you be a good boy and take Prince Pilkyo and Lord Junjin to your brother?”

Jonghyuk wanted to refuse but the stern look that his father gave him made him shudder. Finally, he sighed and with a slight nod he asked Junjin and Pilkyo to follow him. The three kids bowed to his elders and went to Sunho’s chambers; Jonghyuk was leading through corridors, stairs and more corridors until they stood in front of Sunho’s room. Junjin stormed inside the room and Pilkyo could hear the happy squealing of Sunho when Junjin was all over him asking questions as to why the hell he was sick.

“Hyung!” Sunho gurgled when Pilkyo went inside the room and sat next to him in his bed. The boy was bubbly despite his cold.

“How come you got yourself sick when it so hot outside?” Pilkyo ruffled Sunho’s hair who just shoved his tongue. “You need to recover soon, Sunho-ah, I have to show you how much I’ve been training with the sword!”

Sunho smiled cutely and was about to say something when Pilkyo heard a short snort behind him. His smile fade when he looked at Prince Jonghyuk who was smirking, just the way Pilkyo hated the most, like he was making fun of him. Prince Pilkyo took a deep breath, trying to calm down his nerves.

“Oh Sunho-ah! You need to hear Pilkyo-hyung singing! He’s absolutely glorious!” Junjin told the little boy.

“Jin-ah!” Pilkyo jumped over Junjin and closed his mouth with his hand. “What did I tell you!?” Junjin looked at his cousin startled.

“I-I’m sorry, hyung…” Junjin pouted and hid behind Sunho who just giggled. But then again, Pilkyo heard a snicker from behind. Oh hell.

“What!?” Pilkyo snapped at Jonghyuk, who just startled at the sudden yell.

“Nothing,” Jonghyuk shrugged and sat down at a chair next to Sunho’s bed.

“Oh, please, Your Grace, enlighten me with your, oh, so great knowledge…” Pilkyo frowned and crossed his arms. Junjin and Sunho stayed quiet looking back and forth between his cousin and brother, respectively. This was like looking a World War, but in a tiny version.

“It’s nothing, your Highness,” Jonghyuk smiled mischievously before continuing, “I just though how I would love to listen to your singing.”

“Don’t dare you mock me, Mun Jonghyuk!” Pilkyo stood up trembling in anger and disappointment. Somehow he wanted to feel assured that his hobby was welcomed by his friends; at least he thought that Prince Jonghyuk, despite his pranks and constant bickering, was his friend. He wanted to believe that.

The reality stung Pilkyo harder than he thought. He clenched his fist and before letting any tear betray him, the young Prince stomped out of the room. Junjin watched the hurtful look in his cousin and frowned when he ran away. He pondered over a few minutes before kissing Sunho on the cheek and hurriedly ran behind his hyung; but before going outside he looked at Jonghyuk.

“Mm…” Junjin hesitated a little, and Jonghyuk noticed that the young boy was pondering to say something.

“Yes, Jin-ah…” Jonghyuk asked him.

“I must not say this, hyung, but...,” Junjin held the door knob. “Pilkyo-hyung like to sing because Uncle, I mean His Highness King Yeonchool, told him that his mother used to sing for him when she was pregnant,” the young boy made a half bow and ran looking for his cousin.

Jonghyuk groaned displeased with himself. How could he be so insensitive? He wanted to slap his own self just because he was so damn annoying to Pilkyo. The first summer the Crown Prince came to his Castle, Jonghyuk could barely breathe because he was so gorgeous with his sparkling big almond eyes and his chubby cheeks that invited him to pinch them. He could faintly recall some years ago when his mother told him that Prince Pilkyo’s mother, late Queen Heesook passed away just after giving birth to the Little Prince. But at the same time, Jonghyuk found himself being bothersome to the young Prince just to have his attention.

“I’m such a jerk,” Jonghyuk stated. He felt the tiny palm of his younger brother soothing his worries. He looked at Sunho who was smiling despite is cold. The older brother jumped to the bed and let the little one to snuggle against him down the sheets. Sunho giggled when Jonghyuk ran his fingers through his dark brown hair. “Your brother is stupid.”

“Say sorry to Pilkyo-hyung, hyung!” Sunho looked at his older brother. “Mom says that people needs to apologize when they did something wrong.”

“Mom is always right,” Jonghyuk pouted while Sunho drifted to sleep.

Several days after incident, Prince Pilkyo barely showed up in front of Prince Jonghyuk; he was either walking around the Castle with Sunho and Junjin tagging along, or at the stables with his page Taehak and his Master Jihoon, or in worst case scenario he accompanied his mother while she was at the Royal Greenhouse. Jonghyuk was going crazy because he hadn’t had the time to apologize properly; Uncle Yeonchool had to go back to his Kingdom leaving Prince Pilkyo and Junjin at the Castle, but… argh! He just couldn’t!

“What are you doing looking at him so intently?” Jonghyuk startled by the sudden appearance of his father and his hoarse voice behind his back. The King laughed heartily. “I’m sorry I scared you, son…” Jonghyuk was in his chambers looking through the window to the garden where Prince Pilkyo was reading below the shadow of a tree. “Jonghyuk-ah…” The boy stared at his father titling his head a little. “Don’t waste time pondering too much, my boy, sometimes you just need to be blunt and go for it.”

“W-what are you talking about?” Jonghyuk stuttered and blushed a little.

“Sunho told your mom what you did to Prince Pilkyo and of course your mother talked to me,” King Saenyun ruffled his hair. “Jonghyuk-ah, even when Prince Pilkyo could get mad easily, the truth is that he’s a lot more sensible than anyone else.” The King sat down and dragged the boy to his lap. “Did you know? When Pilkyo-ah was born you were in my arms while your Mom held the little bundle in her arms. You looked at him so amused because he was screaming his lungs out and the next couple of months until he was five months you kept looking intently at him, like he was the most precious thing in the world,” the young Prince pouted and bit his lips. “Just go with him already, ok? And apologize, doesn’t matter if he throws a fit or don’t talk to you. Just do it.”

After nodding the young Prince ran to the garden while his father looked through the window. He hoped his wife was right and Prince Pilkyo was just giving the cold shoulder to his son because he was hurt and disappointed.

 

Pilkyo was reading another story about quests and princes’ when someone showed up in front of him. He could have expect Junjin or Sunho, but not Prince Jonghyuk standing in front of him fidgeting in his place. Pilkyo returned his gaze to the book, he wasn’t going to pay attention; not anymore. He had successfully avoided him for the past weeks so it was just a matter of time until the Crown Prince gave up.

“Kyo-ah…,” Pilkyo froze and looked up. He remembered in the back of his mind someone calling his name like that. “I’m sorry about what I told you days ago,” Prince Pilkyo blinked a couple of times until he realized that Jonghyuk’s eyes were fixated on him. “I really am sorry, what can I do to repay what I did?”

Pilkyo closed his book and stood up. His almond eyes looked into Jonghyuk’s who gulped and blinked confusedly. “How…, how about you practice with me?”  Pilkyo tilted his head and smiled calmly. “I’ve being practicing with Jinnie, but… he’s still too young.”

Jonghyuk beamed with happiness and smiled so widely that Pilkyo had the urge to pinch his cheeks, but refrained himself to do so. Shinhwa’s Prince nodded eagerly while taking Pilkyo’s hand and dragged him along to the practice room where they could have all the time and space in the world.

After that, many seasons passed by, each summer since they were seven years old, the Princes had to spend all their summer together. But just after that discussion they got a little bit closer; Jonghyuk was still a spoiled rotten brat giving Pilkyo more headaches that he could count but during those times they talked a lot more and fought less, they did quests around the castle, practiced with the sword, learned about many things. Junjin and Sunho seemed glued to each other too during summer, and Sunho developed a closer relationship with Prince Pilkyo.

One of those summers, when Jonghyuk was fourteen and Pilkyo was still thirteen, Queen Jungsoon introduced Marquis Lee, who guarded the northern border of their Kingdom, and his eldest son along with his wife. The boy was named Minwoo, and he was so cheerful and funny that Pilkyo could barely stop laughing every time he was around them. Minwoo was a little shorter than the young men around his age, his red hair made him look friendly and handsome, and his perennial smile was contagious. He was four months older than Pilkyo, but Pilkyo being Changjo’s Crown Prince couldn’t address him as hyung because of the protocol.

That same year, a couple of weeks before Prince Pilkyo turned fourteen, his father brought another young male to the castle. Kim Dongwan was the son of an old friend of his father and the boy was the same age with Pilkyo so they got along really good. Dongwan had a witty personality and always had something tell, even if it was truth or lie. He had been training to be a soldier for the past three years at the Jung’s Castle, taking lessons along with Pilkyo and Junjin about swordsmanship, physical combat, politics and philosophy.

Pilkyo felt like his life was being good, he even received letters from Shinhwa’s Crown Prince, sometimes written by Jonghyuk or Minwoo or Sunho, or in some good times the three of them wrote on the papyrus making Pilkyo, Junjin and even Dongwan to laugh at their scribbles. However a dark shadow was lurking around the Kingdom, his dad have been struggling with rebels and some with their crops; fortunately being friends with Shinhwa’s Kings was good since they helped his dad to keep the Kingdom ongoing.

“Pilkyo-ah, are you here?” Dongwan’s head popped his head through the door and looked at his favorite friend writing in the desk; since last winter when Dongwan met Prince Pilkyo and Lord Junjin he noticed how much the Prince liked to write or read in silence, which was impossible once they were at Mun’s Castle during summer.

“Hey, Dongwan-ah,” Pilkyo nodded a bit and finished his writing. He sealed the paper and gave it to his page boy, Taehak who immediately went to their guard to send the letter. “Have Duke Park and his family arrived yet?”

“Nope, but I finished my lesson with Master Lee and I was expecting to spend some time with my favorite friend,” Dongwan gave him a toothy smile. He was incredibly handsome with his sixteen years old. His hair was black and a little bit wavy, his eyes were always sparkling with mischievousness, and no doubt why he made a connection with Minwoo last summer they were at the Mun’s. “What were you doing? Another letter from His Highness Jonghyuk?” Dongwan smirked in his direction and sat down at the cushion in front of him.

Pilkyo looked away, paying attention to the papers in front of him. His father gave him some little task to review and then to make a little resume about them. Little by little his father was entrusting him some decision even when he was only sixteen. But, going back to the topic, about what Dongwan asked; yes, previously he was reading and answering Jonghyuk’s letter. Every month he waited with expectation two letters from his neighboring Kingdom; one was from everyone, and the other was solely for himself.

He enjoyed reading the first letter, but his heart yearned to be alone in his chambers in order to peacefully read his own letter. It had happened suddenly, two years ago, the summer before meeting Dongwan, they were at Mun’s Castle in the practice room.

Jonghyuk was teaching him some movements with the sword even when Pilkyo sworn that he was better with the crossbow or physical combat. They had been practicing since earlier, Sunho and Junjin had disappeared long time ago while the Princes were still fighting.

When Pilkyo had lost his sword he used his fists against his adversary, of course Jonghyuk was prepared for that; he knew that Pilkyo resorted to physical shunting once he was cornered. Usually Jonghyuk was on his pair, but this time Pilkyo had learned how to use misdirection, which let the other to wander his attention to others and allowed himself to be invisible, at least in some sort of way. Jonghyuk lost sight of Pilkyo in the blink of an eye that cost him to be on the floor with the young Prince straddling with a pocket knife threatening his throat.

“Damn!” Jonghyuk moaned because, again, he was on the floor with Pilkyo hovering over him. Pilkyo chuckled while withdrawing the knife.

None of them seemed to part ways, Pilkyo was still straddling Jonghyuk while he had a thick layer of sweat over his body. Jonghyuk was no joke either, he was dripping in sweat while looking at his friend. He liked to be that way, the closeness they were having this past few years just increased by the time they were apart. Unknowingly they started wanting and expecting those summers in each other company. Sometimes, Queen Jungsoon brought Prince Jonghyuk to Changjo’s Kingdom, but most of the times they spent their summers in Mun’s Castle.

Jonghyuk focused his attention in the Little Prince in front of him; his light brown hair that was tied on a little half ponytail behind his back, and his almond eyes sparkling while panting. He looked so gorgeous and Pilkyo had something seductive and inviting that was awaking something in Jonghyuk; something primal. Some days ago, Minwoo told him something about Pilkyo being so beautiful that any other human being would be drawn to him. And he was right.

Under the torches light, Pilkyo seemed to glow. Jonghyuk felt how Pilkyo shifted in his place and now was seating on the floor, panting heavily trying to regulate his breathing. Shinhwa’s Crown Prince sat down too, still looking intently to his partner who was by now oblivious.

“Seriously, Jonghyuk-ah, you’ll never beat me,” Pilkyo smiled, and his smile could have light a whole town. How come he hadn’t noticed?

And then a thought came to his mind: what if… what if other people became interested in Pilkyo? Jonghyuk almost gasped. What if some other princess or prince came and asked for him in marriage? Would he like that? “Hell no!” A voice, that resembled Minwoo, shouted in his head. That thought was unfathomable. No, no and more no. He wanted Pilkyo to remain with him, challenging his brain and fighting for any stupid thing. Crown Prince Jonghyuk raised his head in realization and leaned forward to Pilkyo who was still playing with his boots when something soft dropped on the corner of his lips. Pilkyo froze whatever he was going to say next once Jonghyuk leaned back and looked into his eyes.

“W-why was that?” Pilkyo asked in disbelief. A part of him, the one that he wanted to keep hidden, wanted to reap in joy because finally those full lips had touched his skin; but the logical part of his brain just wanted to run away from him.

“J-just because…,” Jonghyuk stuttered and then took a deep breath. “I like you, Kyo-ah.”

That was enough for Prince Pilkyo that day some time ago. Dongwan watched his friend daydreaming walked to him and snapped his fingers in front of him just to bring him back. Pilkyo blinked a few times and then focused his eyes in Dongwan who was looking at him between joyful and meaningful.

“Well, hello again, your Highness,” Dongwan made fun of him. “Were you just thinking in His Grace, Crown Prince Mun Jonghyuk?” Pilkyo smiled shyly. Of course he was, though Dongwan, who wouldn’t. “We just came back from his domains, are you sure you didn’t want to stay there the rest of the year?”

“Wannie!” Pilkyo’s pouting lips kept untouched after sixteen years and those lips were the most infallible weapon against Dongwan. The young soldier laughed while Pilkyo mumbled something in return.

It was really funny how Pilkyo turned to be incredibly shy when it came to Jonghyuk; Dongwan learned through the year he had spent at Jung’s Castle that Pilkyo was a sensible guy with a strong sense of duty and a huge heart to love everyone. Of course, everyone in the Kingdom loved the Crown Prince, he was courteous and righteous since young age and for anyone was unseen that he was special, like he was touched by the hand of the Gods. Dongwan heard Pilkyo singing once and he was so wonderstruck that he swore to his own soul to protect this young Prince. Just because, Pilkyo was a guy to be loved.