Chapter I

Far Longer Than Forever

Far Longer Than Forever

Chapter I

The sun was shining brightly on that beautiful sixteenth day in the second cycle of the year. Shinhwa’s Kingdom was expecting excitedly a newborn baby since early hours since the Queen was in labor but seemed like the little prince didn’t wanted to be disturbed. It was until noon when the young Prince gave his first screams that filled out the palace and the young Royal couple received his firstborn boy.

The little baby was tiny, with tanned skin and dark hair. The King Saenyun, his father, named the little one as Jonghyuk. He and his Queen, Jungsoon, wanted Jonghyuk to be a fair and good future king to their people; both couldn’t be happier with the new arrival of his Little Jonghyuk. Immediately the King sent royal letters to every corner in the Kingdom, announcing the birth of their eternal ruler.

Three months later, at the end of the fifth cycle of the year, Shinhwa’s Kingdom received a Royal Letter from their eastern neighboring Kingdom, Changjo. The King Yeonchool and his Queen, Heesook, were expecting to receive their baby by the end of the eleventh cycle of that same year.

“Do you hear, my dear? Yeowang Heesook is expecting a baby by the end of this year,” the King caressed his baby scalp; the boy was in his royal crib and his Queen approached them.

“What do you think if we arrange a marriage for our Prince and their baby?” Jungsoon said while picking up her baby.

“Jungsoon-ah, we don’t know even if the baby is a girl or a boy,” the King whined.

“Who cares, my King? As long as they love each other,” Jungsoon took the baby to a wooden rocker where she sat down to feed his baby. “What do you think, my sweet Jonghyuk-ah?” The baby opened his dark brown eyes and smiled unwittingly.

 

Six months later, on the eleventh cycle, King Saenyun and Queen Jungsoon along with Prince Jonghyuk had to travel to Changjo’s Kingdom since Queen Heesook was ill and she was about to give birth. It was no secret that Queen Heesook and Queen Jungsoon were childhood friends and both loved each other like sisters. However, Heesook was a delicate princess since young age and her parents always kept her from harm. But this time, even when the Royal doctors told her that her pregnancy could have troubles, she wanted to carry along with it.

“Heesook-ah,” Jungsoon sat next to her old friend and held his hand, she was feverish and her breathing was difficult.

“You came,” Chanjo’s Queen smiled weakly.

“Yeh. How are you feeling?” Jungsoon asked her and wiped her sweat.

“Great…” Heesook chuckled and took Jungsoon’s hand to her belly where the baby was kicking. “He’s moving around a lot.” Jungsoon could feel the lively baby on her friend’s belly.

“How do you know is a boy? Even King Yeonchool doesn’t know,” Shinhwa’s Queen asked.

“I…” Heesook shrugged. “I feel it, Jungsoon-ah, it’s going to be a baby boy.”

They chatted a few more minutes, Jungsoon felt really badly because of her friend; she knew about her condition, Heesook was heading to the edge of her strength. Changjo’s Queen looked deeply into her friend’s eyes. “Jungsoonnie, I need to ask you a favor…”

“Whatever, Sookie, what is it?” Jungsoon approached her friend.

“Please, let our kingdoms to unite through marriage,” Heesook looked at her desperately. “I don’t want to leave this world without the assurance that my baby will be in good hands. Yeonchool doesn’t want to realize that I’ll be gone once I give birth.”

“Sookie, d-don’t say that…” Jungsoon eyes filled up with tears. It hurt so much to hear her friend like she was going to die anytime.

“Please, Jungsoon-ah, my baby,” Heesook breathe went difficult. “My baby will need a friend. Please.” Jungsoon shed some tears nodding reassuring her friend that her baby will be in good hands.

 

On the twenty-seventh day, Queen Heesook gave birth to a healthy and tiny baby boy. His lungs were strong enough to scare his own father who was waiting on the outskirts of his Queen’s room. Next to him, King Saenyun patted his shoulder giving his friend his blessings with the newborn baby.

The nurse came out asking for the King to enter the room. Once inside, Queen Jungsoon had the bundle of joy in her arms while the tears were streaming down her beautiful face. Yeonchool took some steps until Jungsoon gave him the baby; he looked into the baby, who had dusty light brown hair, milky skin and chubby cheeks.

“It’s a girl,” the King said. Heesook chuckled from her place in the middle of the bed and shook her paleface.

“It’s a boy, my King,” the nurse whispered.

Yeonchool looked at the baby again and despite his milky skin, he indeed was a boy. He kissed his forehead and smiled while sitting next to his wife.

“Pilkyo,” whispered the Queen. “Name him Pilkyo, Yeonchool-ie.” The King nodded.

“Jung Pilkyo sounds like a strong name,” the King looked at his wife who looked paler every second. “We’re going to be happy, my beloved.”

“Yeonchool-ah,” the dying Queen called his name. “Take care of our baby boy, my love,” when Yeonchool looked at his wife who was closing her eyes heavily.

“Heesook-ah…, don’t close your eyes,” Yeonchool asked kissing her forehead. “Pilkyo and I need you. Please… just a bit more…”

“I… I can’t Yeonchool-ah,” her voice was getting too low as she said. “I love you forever, forever and always. Please just remember even if I’m not there, I’ll always love you, forever an always.”

Her last words were the only thing that remained when she closed her eyes. The King Yeonchool shed tears on her deathbed while the newborn Pilkyo stirred in his blanket and started to scream. Queen Soonhee took the baby boy outside while her friend’s husband grieved his wife. She stepped outside the room and her own husband held her in his arms, with the young Jonghyuk in his arms too.

The young prince looked serious to his mother who had something in her arms. It seemed alive since it was screaming like hell, but what was it? Jonghyuk reached for the bundle in his mother’s arms and grabbed the blanket until he discovered another human being.

“Ma…” Jonghyuk moved his arms to his mother. What was that cute thing moving and crying?

“Jonghyuk-ah,” Soonhee smiled between her tears. “Say hello to Pilkyo, my son. He’ll be yours someday.”

The Queen stated due to her King dumbfounded eyes. He didn’t want to neglect his Queen’s wishes, but… What was she talking about? Prince Pilkyo being Jonghyuk’s?

“Gyo…” Young Prince Jonghyuk said.

“Yes, Hyukkie, Kyo,” the Queen cried silently while inside the room the King kept mourning the death of his own Queen.

 


NOTES:

Eric’s Parents: Mun Saenyun (Sam) and Kang Jungsoon (Grace)

Hyesung’s Parents: Jung Yeonchool and Park Heesook.


Will you be so kind to leave a comment? I would be thrilled to see some comments :) I'll try to be fast in the updates since I'm about to start next semester at master's school sooo... expect the unexpectable :P

Pat