Their Past

Escape

Baekhyun smiled from ear to ear after hearing the bell ringing loudly. He finished putting his Alegbra books into his backpack since five minutes ago and he was surely pumped up today.

Now, he was trying to get a past a crowd of students. Suddenly, his eyes caught a glimpse of Yoonjo, making his smile growing wider. That girl was making feeling happier than usual but he wasn't sure what was the reason.

Baekhyun was even closer to Yoonjo which made him having the opportunity to talk to her.

He whispered with his usual husky voice into Yoonjo's ear, "Yoonjo-ah."

Yoonjo was surprised, her cheeks flushed as she turned her gaze at Baekhyun and smiled, whispering back into his ear,

"Hey. What's wrong?"

Baekhyun brushed Yoonjo's hair off her eyes, patting the girl's head before saying

"Do remember our meeting this evening, okay? I'll be waiting."

Yoonjo bit her lower lip and shivers ran down her spine. But she pretended to be the bubbly, cheerful Yoonjo. She didn't want make her as a burden to Baekhyun.

"Arasso, mister Byun Baekhyun." Yoonjo saluted and so did Baekhyun, which made the two breaking into a laugh before bidding goodbye.

As Baekhyun was out of her sight, Yoonjo mumbled as her cheeks were still red, looking down.

"Byun Baekhyun, why I'm always thinking about you?"

Baekhyun also mumbled as he was catching her breath after squeezing into the lines of thirteenth, eleventh and twelfth graders,

"Shin Yoonjo, why you're always in my mind?"

***

After rushing out of Seoul Arts High's gates, Baekhyun panted as he walked on the sidewalk, going towards his house in this he-doesn't-know-its-name neighbourhood. 

Then, he figured out how life would be if his parents didn't die and if he didn't live with the Chois. It ended with a conclusion; life would be perfect and ideal.

As he was inches away from his house, he felt a tap on his shoulder. He was surprised, jumping slightly and quickly turned around, revealing a giggling Yoonjo.

"Yah, Byun Baekhyun! Don't you remember that we live at the same neighbourhood?"

Baekhyun mentally slapped his forehead and shook his head, thinking, Ugh, Baekhyun, you're such a forgetful person!

"Don't slap your forehead, you'll get hurt," Yoonjo said and massaged Baekhyun's forehead, making Baekhyun blush,

"Y-Yoonjo-ah, y-you don't have to do that."

Yoonjo chuckled and released her hand from Baekhyun's forehead, curving a smile from her lips.

"Well, I should be going then or my family would be worried-sick! Annyeong!"

Yoonjo skipped on the sidewalk and that made Baekhyun remember something, making him shout shamelessly,

"Okay, but do remember our meeting at the park at 4p.m. sharp! This is my second time remembering you, Yoonjo!"

At the thought of that, Yoonjo shivered again and stopped skipping. She didn't know why was this happening to her since Baekhyun told her about the meeting.

Yoonjo then turned around, giving him a thumbs up even though she felt uncomfortable with the situation. She heaved a deep sigh as she continued her journey back home but this time, by walking.

Baekhyun blinked when he saw Yoonjo stopped skipping and fiddled with his fingers while mumbling before continuing his walk,

"Hm, I wonder what's wrong with Yoonjo since I told her about the meeting."
 

***

Baekhyun entered his house quietly after locking the main door with the keys Mrs. Choi gave him during middle school.

He bit his lower lip, hearing some usual things he heard like every single day. He covered his ears and tears slowly streamed down his cheeks.

He couldn't help it anymore and he wanted to escape from his ridiculous life. As the noises got louder, he sniffled his tears, running towards his bedroom.

Upon reaching his bedroom, he locked the door with a set of keys he bought with his own pocket money, thanks to his parents'  savings. Baekhyun can have all of their savings since he was and is the only child in the Byun family.

But he took half of the savings because he didn't want to waste such valuable money. He wanted to cherish the money because it was his parents', not his.

"Yoonjo," Baekhyun suddenly said the girl's name and covered his mouth, blushing again. But this time, his cheeks were even redder than before.

"Ugh, why I can't control myself? Ah, Shin Yoonjo-" Baekhyun was now slapping his mouth and that made him blush even more.

He didn't know why he was acting weird after meeting his first ever friend at Seoul Arts High. Also he blushed a lot on that day.

All of that caused by the one and only Shin Yoonjo. Was he falling for- No, he wasn't or could he?

***

"Eomma, appa, I'm home!" Yoonjo entered the house and greeted her parents with a bubbly voice. That made her parents smiling from ear to ear.

"Yoonjo-ah, after changing your clothes, can you see us in the living room? Your father and I-" Mrs. Shin paused her words when Mr. Shin nudged her with his arm.

"Um, just meet us in the living room. You'll know it soon," Mr. Shin said, continuing her wife's words as he let out a very deep sigh.

A tear fell down from his right eye and he bit his lower lip. His hands were also trembling from nervousness. He didn't want to disappoint his daughter.

Yoonjo just blinked and nodded, walking to her bedroom upstairs. Her parents exchanged looks and each of them heaved a sigh at the same time.

"Is it time for us to tell her the real truth? I'm really afraid," Mrs. Shin confessed, her heart beating fast due to nervousness as well.

"I think it's time. It's been five years, we have to tell her."

As promised, after changing her clothes, Yoonjo skipped downstairs and the next thing she knew, her parents were both sitting on the couch at the living room.

She sat on a couch in front of the couch where her parents sat, looking deeply into each of her parents' eyes. Her eyes were glistening, hoping for an explanation.

Mr. Shin took deep breaths and immediately explained while stuttering, "Actually, Yoonjo, w-we a-are not your real parents.."

"What?!" Yoonjo shouted and tears were rolling down her cheeks. "S-so, w-what I h-heard i-is t-true."

"We're sorry, Yoonjo-ah.. I-It's j-just.." Mrs. Shin couldn't continue her words and she burst out crying. She was really dissappointed and sad, keeping a family secret from their adopted daughter for a long time.

"We want you to find your elder brother," Mr. Shin said and walked towards Yoonjo, sitting beside her then gave her a picture of Yoonjo's real elder brother.

"Go and find him when it's the right time. I heard that he lives somewhere in the woods. Your name's actually not Shin Yoonjo but Kim Yoonjo."

Yoonjo nodded and took the photo from her father's hands, curving her lips to a small smile after sniffling her tears.

"O-Okay, a-appa. Now, can you and eomma explain everything to me?"

"Of course. Now, listen.." Mrs. Shin also walked towards Yoonjo, sitting on her right and explained everything about Yoonjo's real past.

Yoonjo gave her parents a big hug after the explanation and sighed deeply, whispering, "I'll try to find my brother.. with the help of someone."

"Someone? Who is that, Yoonjo-ah?" Mr. Shin tilted his head and looked at Yoonjo curiously.

"He's my new-found friend, he lives with the Chois."

"Isn't he Baekhyun? I knew his name from the other neighbours," Mrs. Shin admitted as she brushed Yoonjo's hair with her fingers.

"Yes, he is. He's really nice and he's not like the Chois, eomma. He also said to me than he always despised his own family."

Mr. and Mrs. Shin each curved their lips into a very wide smile. They were really happy that Yoonjo had a friend, a nice friend in fact.

"Let's have lunch now," Mr. Shin said as the three left the living room, walking towards the kitchen.

 

After having lunch with both of her foster parents, Yoonjo was now in her bedroom, staring at her elder brother's picture Mr. Shin gave her earlier.

He had this face of a pure, innocent angel like Yoonjo. Yoonjo scratched her head and blinked, whispering to herself,

"Can I trust Baekhyun to follow me? Aish, I'm confused~"

Yoonjo huffed as she took out her Literature book from her ped backpack. She opened the book until it reached a blank, empty page.

She began to do this Literature homework with a blue pen, which was given by her Literature teacher, Madame Hara.

While she was doing her work, she suddenly said someone's name out of the blue, "Baekhyun-ah."

Yoonjo immediately blushed and patted her cheeks after covering with her hand. She chuckled at her own actions and thought, You're such a pabo, Yoonjo-ah!

She finished doing her homework and immediately curved her lips into a wide smile, arranging her books for tomorrow. She hummed a song as she called out someone's name again,

"Byun Baekhyun.." Yoonjo slapped as Baekhyun did and shook her head. "Ugh, Shin Yoonjo, what's wrong with you?!"

***
Later, at the recreation park, 4:02p.m.

"Baekhyun-ah, I'm here~" Yoonjo tapped Baekhyun's shoulder from behind. Baekhyun nearly fell down from the swing, feeling very surprised from Yoonjo's actions.

Luckily, Yoonjo saved him with her hands before Baekhyun dirtied his clothes with the mud due to last night's rain.

Yoonjo chuckled softly and sat on another swing which was next to Baekhyun's. She looked at Baekhyun and smiled lightly.

"I'm sorry for being late. I nearly forgot about our meeting."

"It's alright. So, should I tell you about my oh-so-great life with the Chois?"

Yoonjo just nodded, pursing her lips as she kept looking at Baekhyun. Her eyes glistened again, hoping for an explanation like right now.

There was a picture in both of Yoonjo's hands; a picture of her elder brother. She wanted to tell Baekhyun what her foster parents told her a few hours ago.

"My parents.. were addicted to smoking. Well, at first, my father was the one who spreaded his habit to my mother. In the end, both of them died. I was and am a sole son so, my next-door neighbour took me to an orphanage when I was seven. I was taken with good care until the Chois was about to take me as their foster son. Each of their parents were plastered with a very wide smile and I thought they would be nice to me but, as you know, Yoonjo-ah, my expectations were completely wrong,"

Baekhyun explained as he panted softly and Yoonjo rubbed Baekhyun's back slowly. The picture of her elder brother was now on her left hand.

A slight pink blush crept on Baekhyun's cheeks and he smiled at Yoonjo's actions, muttering under his breath, "Thanks."

"No problem, my friend." Yoonjo patted Baekhyun's back and tilted her head to the side. "Now, do proceed!" 

Baekhyun nodded and let out a deep sigh, a tear falling from his eyes.

"Well, they treated me badly. They forced me to wash the dishes and all, like Cinderella with her stepmother and stepsisters. At night, Mr. and Mrs. Choi make out and James hyung and I always fight. He wins everytime and you know what? I'm pissed off and angry. Living with them for four years was definitely.. useless."

Yoonjo nodded and slowly wiped Baekhyun's tears with her thumbs. Before that, she put the picture of her brother in her shirt's pocket.

"Don't cry. Guys like you will never cry, I know that," Yoonjo whispered softly and curved her lips into a small smile.

"B-But, Y-Yoonjo-ah, I'm not like those tough guys out there."

"You'll always be tough even though you cry a lot of times. I see that from your face, Baekhyun-ah."

Baekhyun nodded as well. He knew that Yoonjo was trying to cheer him up for that evening.

"Now, it's your turn, Yoonjo.. if you want to and what's that?" Baekhyun pointed at the photo in Yoonjo's shirt's pocket. Yoonjo was surprised for awhile at Baekhyun's question.

"Oh, I'll tell you first before showing that photo to you." Yoonjo took deep breaths and explained,

"Actually, I was and am adopted by the Shins. My real name wasn't Shin Yoonjo, it's Kim Yoonjo. My foster parents kept this secret away from me because they were afraid to tell me. Well, my real parents, the Kims took me to an orphanage when I was still a baby since they were going abroad for awhile, like a few months or maybe, years?" Yoonjo stiffled a chuckle before continuing,

"Also, at that time, I still didn't know my real name and I was called as Hana, like an alias or something. When I was twelve, the Kims asked the Shins to take me as their adopted daughter because they were still busy also telling my real name, Yoonjo. It was rumored that my parents died from a shooting in the United States but my elder brother survived. According to the Shins, he was living in the woods and I, as his only sister, have to search him."

Yoonjo tried to hold back her tears at the thought of her real parents. Tears were now rolling down her cheeks and Baekhyun quickly wiped her tears with his thumbs, just like Yoonjo did to him.

"Shh, don't cry, Yoonjo-ah. I know, you're a strong girl.. like I am in your point of view."

Yoonjo let out a deep sigh, letting Baekhyun wipe her tears. A slight pink blush crept on Yoonjo's cheeks too at Baekhyun's actions.

A guy never did this to her after living in planet Earth for fifteen years and Baekhyun took the opportunity to be the first.

"Now, explain to me about that photo." Baekhyun pointed again at the photo in Yoonjo's shirt's pocket. Yoonjo nodded, taking out the photo out of her pocket.

"This is a picture of my elder brother. I'm not sure what's his name. According to the Shins, his name starts with the letter, J."

Baekhyun nodded as Yoonjo explained about the photo and he examined the photo for awhile. The boy in the photo looked like someone familiar to him or maybe, not.

"Wow, he looks very handsome," Baekhyun complimented Yoonjo's unknown elder brother also giving the photo back to Yoonjo.

Yoonjo stiffled another chuckle and giggled, receiving the photo from Baekhyun.

"Well, he is. He's also pure like an angel who fell from Heaven."

"You're very good at cheesy words. I assume that you like your own brother?"

Baekhyun teased and that earned a smack on his arm by Yoonjo.

"Yah, I don't have a brother complex!"

Baekhyun pouted and rubbed his arm gently. "Yah, it hurt!"

Yoonjo was shocked and helped Baekhyun to rub his arm, huffing. "I-I'm sorry.. I-I was not myself just now."

Their hands accidentally touched and both of them made an eye contact, latching their eyes on each other.

The two immediately blushed and gasped at the sudden contact. They never thought of this before.

Yoonjo released her hand from Baekhyun's as she was still blushing and vice versa. "I'm sorry once again."

"A-Ah, i-it's always fine with me!" Baekhyun, who seemed to still be surprised about earlier, stuttered at Yoonjo's apology.

Yoonjo chuckled for the third time and looked at Baekhyun, shrugging while blinking his eyes.

"Uh, so, what should we do now?"

"I don't know.. Should we.. reveal our own secret? Maybe you'll tell me that you like your own-"

Yoonjo smacked Baekhyun's arm again and pouted, crossing her arms. "I don't like him!"

"Just admit it!"

"No, I don't. Why would I like him anyway?"

"Because you said that he was and is handsome and pure like an angel."

"That's it?"

"Stare at that photo and feel your heart. If your heart's beating fast, love is in the air~" 

"Ugh, Byun Baekhyun! Why would I-"

"Fine, fine, you win, miss Shin.. I mean, Kim Yoonjo. But make sure I win next time."

"No, ladies always win, you. Now, let's have smoothies and ice cream. It's my treat!"

"But you won, right?"

"I'm just too nice for my own good. Haha. Now, come on, my tummy's grumbling!"

Yoonjo stopped pouting and crossing her arms and immediately stood up, waiting for Baekhyun while tapping her feet.

Baekhyun blinked and looked at Yoonjo from head to toe. "Why are you standing up?"

"I told you that we are going to have smoothies and ice cream and it was and is my treat. Now, let's go!"

Yoonjo dragged Baekhyun off the swing, pulling him to a shop which was a block from the park.

"Yah, you're hurting my arm!"

"But my tummy's grumbling!"

"Which is better, my arm or your tummy?"

"It's my tummy, of course!"

Baekhyun just sighed and in the end, stiffled a soft chuckle. Looks like Yoonjo was in her positive mood once again and he surprisingly liked it.

***

Baekhyun and Yoonjo were now back at the park after their sudden trip to the shop. They sat again on the swings with the same positions like earlier.

"Here are your cookies and cream smoothie and chocolate and strawberry-flavoured ice cream. Bon appétit, Baekhyun!"

Baekhyun smiled and took his smoothie and ice cream, bowing his head. "Thanks, Yoonjo-ah. Since when you're learning French?"

"To be honest, those were the only French words that I knew." Yoonjo giggled as she her vanilla-flavoured ice cream.

"So, are you a big eater then?" Baekhyun wriggled his eyebrows and sipped on his cookies and cream smoothie.

Yoonjo raised her shoulders, showing a I-don't-know face at Baekhyun also sipping on her cookies and cream smoothie.

Apparently, these two ordered the same flavour for their smoothies but their ice cream flavours were different.

Baekhyun's smile grew wider, looking at Yoonjo's I-don't-know face. He then thought, She's always cute, more like adorable.

Yoonjo blinked at Baekhyun and huffed, poking Baekhyun's cheeks. "What's wrong with my face?"

"It's nothing. You just look.. cute."

Yoonjo was taken aback at Baekhyun's words and she immediately looked down. Her cheeks were now red like two ripe tomatoes. Baekhyun chuckled and now, his smile was just twelve inches wide.


A/N: Hello, my dear readers! As promised, this is a long chapter as I expected. I imagined them in my mind while typing this. Ugh, these two are just so cute and here comes my feels! Anyway, thanks for the six people who subscribed to my story. I appreciate it a lot, thanks again and I maybe go on a hiatus because of my Science exam, just maybe.

Do look forward to the next chapter and till we meet again on another chapter filled with lots and lots of BaekJo! <3