Special Gifts

Escape

"Thanks for sending me home, Baekhyun-ah," Yoonjo said, curving her lips into a wide smile and bowed her head.

"Ah, no problem! Also thanks for the smoothie and ice cream. So, I shall see you at school tomorrow?" 

Baekhyun tilted his head and smiled back at Yoonjo, his eyes filled with hope and determination.

"Yes.. and Baekhyun." Yoonjo tugged a little on the hem of Baekhyun's shirt and blinked. Baekhyun also blinked.

"Yes, Yoonjo?"

"Thank you for everything." Yoonjo released her hand from the hem of Baekhyun's shirt and giggled.

Baekhyun let out a soft chuckle as his hands carresed Yoonjo's soft, brown hair. He whispered against Yoonjo's lips,

"It's my pleasure. Thank you for everything too."

Yoonjo's cheeks flushed lightly at the contact of her and Baekhyun's lips. Now, they were just too close to each other.

"Y-Yah, B-Baekhyun-ah," Yoonjo called Baekhyun by stammering and smacked her own head.

Ugh, Yoonjo, what the hell is wrong with you?! Get back to your sanity!

"Hm?" Baekhyun raised both of his eyebrows, wriggling them and blinked again when he saw Yoonjo smacking her head.

"Y-You're too c-close.." Shivers ran down Yoonjo's spine and she smacked her own head again.

Aish, you're such a pabo! Why are you stammering in front of Baekhyun?! He's not even my crush! Ugh!

Baekhyun's cheeks also flushed red at the contact and quickly stepped back a little from Yoonjo.

"Um, Y-Yoonjo, c-can I have your phone number? We can text tonight if you want to.."

Baekhyun blushed even more at his question and also, smacked his own head. 

You shouldn't stammer in front of her! I'm such a pabo but she's just too cu- Get back to your senses, Baekhyun!

Yoonjo just smiled and nodded, pulling out her mobile phone from her trousers' pocket as she gave it to Baekhyun.

"Here, type your phone number and call it. You'll see."

Baekhyun did as instructed and his mobile phone rang his ringtone. He took his phone from his shirt's pocket, showing the phone number on the top of the screen at Yoonjo.

"Is that your phone number?"

"Eung." Yoonjo nodded and took her phone from Baekhyun, saving it on her contacts. Baekhyun did the same and patted Yoonjo's head lightly.

"I'll call you tonight, arasso?"

"Arasso. Annyeong!" Yoonjo waved cheerfully at Baekhyun after putting her phone into her pocket as she ran to her house which was a few doors down.

Baekhyun heaved a content sigh as he watched Yoonjo until she was out of his sight. His lips immediately curled into a wide smile.

"Shin Yoonjo, I'm glad you're now my friend," Baekhyun whispered and walked to his house which was three inches away.

***

At night, as promised, Baekhyun called Yoonjo using his mobile phone while resting in his bedroom and luckily, Yoonjo received the call.

"Hey, Yoonjo-ah."

"Ah, Baekhyun, it's you!" Yoonjo's bubbly yet cheerful voice was heard through the phone. "So, how are you doing?"

"I'm doing absolutely fine, thanks a lot. How about you? Can you figure out about your brother?"

"Same as well as you do, thank you. Um, I can't. It's because-"

"He's just too handsome and you can't help to stare at him," Baekhyun teased Yoonjo about her so-called crush on her own brother.

"Yah, Byun Baekhyun! Stop mentioning about that already."

"I'm not going to stop unless you admit."

"Ugh, I don't like my own brother."

"For sure?"

"Yup. I'm super duper honest."

"Fine, you win again, Yoonjo," Baekhyun immediately gave up. He didn't want to bicker with Yoonjo.

"Yah, are you mad at me?" There was sounds of Yoonjo huffing her cheeks also sighing. 

"No, of course, not. Why would I be mad at you?"

"You sound like you meant it."

"Aish, it was a misunderstanding! Please forgive me~" Baekhyun had to use his aegyo voice which really .

Yoonjo laughed lightly. "Hahaha! Fine, I forgive you and oh, you'll get something tomorrow!" 

"Really?" Baekhyun's eyes glistened at the thought of that. "Tell me~"

"Psh, it's a secret. Just wait at school. I'll give you later, arasso?"

"Okay. Is it food or an eyeliner?" Well, Baekhyun had this obsession to eyeliners these days and he wasn't sure what was the reason.

"Just wait and see~ Anyway, Baekhyun-ah, can we have a video call? I know it's already nearing ten."

"Sure, why not?" Baekhyun's lips slowly curved into a smile. He didn't want to dissappoint his new-found friend.

"Oh, really? Alright, I'll request you soon!" Yoonjo immediately hung up and a few seconds later, Baekhyun's phone vibrated.

His phone screen showed this; A video call requested by Yoonjo. Baekhyun accepted it and waved at the screen.

"Hey, Yoonjo. What's up?" Baekhyun raised both of his eyebrows.

"There's nothing to do. My parents are having their Wednesday Movie Night. They're watching Percy Jackson's Sea of Monsters."

Yoonjo huffed her cheeks and Baekhyun tilted his head, asking, "Why don't you watch the movie too?"

"I'm not interested to be honest."

"Oh," Baekhyun's reply was short and soon, there were noises coming from outside of Baekhyun's room. Baekhyun groaned.

"Sorry, Yoonjo. That means my bedtime is now."

Yoonjo was now covering her ears and Baekhyun sighed. "I'll see you tomorrow."

Baekhyun ended the video call and lied on his bed after putting his phone on a make-up table as he mumbled,

"James hyung must brought another woman to play with and Mr. and Mrs. Choi must be making out again. What the hell. Poor Yoonjo, she's pretty dissapointed.."

Baekhyun closed his eyes as he fell asleep on his bed with the lights on for that night. I'm sorry, Yoonjo.

***

The next morning, Baekhyun's alarm clock buzzed and he groaned, slowly opening his eyes. He rubbed his eyes and stole a glance at his alarm clock. It was 6:13a.m. and school will start at 7a.m. sharp.

"Ah, it's already morning," Baekhyun grumbled and turned off his alarm clock. He sat comfortably on his bed and suddenly, his phone vibrated.

He blinked and thought to himself, Who could be texting me early in the morning? That's strange but cool.

Baekhyun took his phone from his make-up table and he could see his phone's screen showing, One incoming text from Yoonjo.

He beamed and read the message which was sent by Yoonjo ten minutes ago. She's such an early bird. What a cute habit.

From: Yoonjo

Baekhyun-ah, good morning! I guess you're still sleeping now. I think we should walk to school together, should we?

Baekhyun let out a soft chuckle and his fingers reached for the keypad, replying Yoonjo's message.

To: Yoonjo

Good morning, Yoonjo-ah. Nah, I'm awake. Okay, I'm fine with that. I'm sorry for the late reply. Anyway, how are you?

He clicked onto the 'Send' button and his smile grew wider, putting his phone back on his make-up table.

He got off the bed and went towards the bathroom, taking a towel from a rack before entering the bathroom to get a fresh morning shower.

 

After a quick shower, Baekhyun was now drying his hair with another towel as the towel he picked earlier was wrapped around his waist.

He checked his phone to see if Yoonjo already replied to him as he saw the words, One incoming text from Yoonjo flashing on the screen.

He immediately put on his school uniform and he took his phone, clicking the 'Open' button to read the reply from Yoonjo.

From: Yoonjo

Ah, it's okay! Anyway, do you still remember about the 'thing' that I'll give you today? You better hurry or not, the 'thing' will be cold!

Baekhyun widened his eyes at the text and he mentally slapped his own forehead. He totally forgot about the 'thing' and he pondered in his thoughts.

What's the 'thing' anyway? Is it food? Is it an eyeliner? Is it a book? Argh, I better know it soon!

Baekhyun's fingers reached for the keypad again as he typed away a text to Yoonjo at the speed of light.

To: Yoonjo

Okay, do wait in front of my house! I'll be right there in less than ten minutes!

He clicked onto the 'Send' button and he put the phone back where it was located; the make-up table. He sat on his bed again and put on his black and white stockings.

He then took his backpack, slinging it on both of his shoulders and switched the lights, air conditioner and fan off.

He ran downstairs and he smelled the aroma of Mrs. Choi's cooking, which made him want to vomit. It was bulgogi, one of the family's favourites.

"Good morning, eomma, appa and James hyung." Baekhyun gave a slight wave as his feet entered the dining hall.

"Ah, Baekhyun, you better eat your bulgogi!" Mrs. Choi used her motherly, soft voice and that made Baekhyun want to vomit too. That was a phony voice, in Baekhyun's opinion.

"Um, I'll just have my breakfast at school.."

"Why is it? Are you sick?" Mr. Choi tilted his head to the side and eyed Baekhyun from head to toe.

"Oops, I better go! School's about to start soon. Annyeong!' Baekhyun took his digital watch, which he left on the table last night. He ran towards the door and threw it open, putting his school shoes on.

"Baekhyun-ah, I'm here!"

That bubbly voice of Yoonjo broke the morning silence and Baekhyun looked up, seeing Yoonjo standing on the sidewalk. Her hair was tied neatly into a ponytail.

She was holding a rectangle-shaped box on her hands and she had this mega watt smile plastered on her face. Maybe, Baekhyun's gift was inside the box?

"Oh, Yoonjo, wait up!" 

Baekhyun tied his shoelaces and he made his way towards Yoonjo. That wide smile of his never left his smile and he tried to peek into the box Yoonjo was holding.

"Ah, you can't peek!" Yoonjo immediately hid the box behind her back and let out a soft chuckle.

"What's inside?" Baekhyun asked curiously and looked directly at Yoonjo's eyes, raising his eyebrows.

"You'll know it at school. Come on, let's go."

The two neighbours walked on the sidewalk towards Seoul Art High as Baekhyun tried to figure out what was inside the box Yoonjo was holding.

 

"Okay, now, we're at school!" Baekhyun panted heavily and he held onto his knees, trying to catch his breath. This was what happened earlier.

Flashback

"Yah, Yoonjo-ah." Baekhyun nudged Yoonjo with his arm and Yoonjo was stunned, looking at Baekhyun.

"Yes?"

"May I know what's inside the box?"

Yoonjo stuck her tongue out and shook her head, giggling. "No, you can't!"

"But, it's my gift! You promised me last night."

"We have to be at school if you wanted to know. To be honest, I have a challenge for you, Baekhyun."

"What is it?"

"Catch me if you want to know what's inside the box!" Yoonjo ran towards Seoul Art High's gates and Baekhyun was left on the sidewalk alone.

His mouth was hanging open, his eyes widened and he was shocked. How could Yoonjo run so fast even though she was carrying a box?

"Okay, Yoonjo, I'll catch you!"

Now, Baekhyun was chasing Yoonjo like they were Tom and Jerry, the two main characters from the hit television show.

End of Flashback

"Okay, okay, you can take a look at it." Yoonjo showed Baekhyun the box and Baekhyun's eyes glistened at the sight, slowly opening the box.

"Oh my gosh! Yoonjo, who made this?!"

Apparently, it was a huge apple pie inside the box. It was made by Mrs. Shin and apple pie was just Baekhyun's favourite.

"It's my eomma, Mrs. Shin. She wanted to thank you for being my friend and this showed her and my appreciation."

Yoonjo still had this mega watt smile and she heard like someone's stomach was grumbling. She blinked and turned her gaze at Baekhyun.

"Um, Baekhyun?"

"Yes, Yoonjo?"

"Haven't you ate your breakfast yet?"

Baekhyun heaved a deep sigh and shook his head as he clutched his stomach. "I didn't."

"What's wrong?" Yoonjo tilted her head to the side and looked at Baekhyun worriedly.

"Mrs. Choi made bulgogi for breakfast and the taste wasn't so great so, I decided to skip breakfast."

Yoonjo nodded in understanding and she lighted up as a great idea clicked on her mind. Baekhyun looked at Yoonjo's happy-and-cute face.

"Is there something wrong, Yoonjo?"

"No. I'll suggest you this, you can eat half of the apple pie for breakfast and another half for recess."

Baekhyun's eyes glistened again and his smile grew five inches wider, thanks to Yoonjo's suggestion.

"Oh yes, you're right! Thanks a lot for your suggestion and the apple pie, Yoonjo."

Baekhyun took the box away from Yoonjo's hands and began to munch on the delicious apple pie.

"Oh gosh, Yoonjo, this tastes delicious!"

"Baekhyun, I couldn't understand what are you saying." Yoonjo scratched her head.

"It's okay, Yoonjo. So, we'll meet at recess then?"

"Alright, I'll see you at recess! Annyeong!" Yoonjo immediately ran towards the stairs to go to her class at the first floor.

***

"Eomma, appa, I'm home." Yoonjo entered her house after opening the door and putting back her school shoes at the shoe rack.

"Finally, you're home." Mrs. Shin's lips curled into a wide smile. "Did Baekhyun eat the apple pie?"

"Yes, he did. We shared half of it during recess."

"Where was the another half?" Mrs. Shin scratched her head and blinked her eyes since she was confused.

"He ate it before classes started this morning. He didn't eat breakfast due to the bad smell of Mrs. Choi's cooking."

"Oh, I see. Um, Yoonjo, you better go to your bedroom." Just then, Mrs. Shin's smile grew even wider.

"Why is it, eomma?"

"You better go. There's a surprise waiting for you."

Yoonjo's eyes sparkled at the thought and she immediately ran towards her bedroom, entering it after twirling the door knob. 

There was a hard disk on her bed and there was also a note attached to it. Yoonjo blinked and unslung her backpack from her shoulders, putting it on her queen-sized bed.

She sat comfortably on her bed and picked up the hard disk, reading the note; Yoonjo, play this on your computer. I'm sure you'll like this!

Yoonjo blinked again and went towards her study table, bringing the hard disk along with her. She her computer and waited for it to load.

She put it into the CPU and searched it in her files as she saw a video in the hard disk's folder. She clicked onto the video and the video started to play, showing a guy wearing casual clothes, waving.

"Annyeong, Yoonjo-ah. Your elder brother's here! I guess, you knew me already from Mr and Mrs. Shin, right? If you knew everything, that's good. So, as you can see from the background, yeah, I live in the woods with my other pals. Mr. and Mrs. Shin knew about this and don't tell anyone, well, you can only tell a friend of yours that you trust. Also, bring that friend of yours to search for me, Um, I better sign off now. Goodbye! I love you, dongsaeng~"

The guy formed a heart shape with his hands, flashing a very bright smile and the video ended shortly after that,

Yoonjo beamed and giggled after hearing the angelic voice of her mysterous elder brother. She heaved a deep sigh and shook her head.

Argh, Baekhyun will tease me again if I act like this. I don't have a brother complex. Aigoo.

Yoonjo hugged her knees to her chest and rested her chin on her knees, puffing her cheeks as she began to think; who was the person she trusted the most?

After a few minutes pondering into her thoughts, she snapped her fingers and took her phone from under her pillow. She unlocked it and began to type a text message to Baekhyun.

To: Baekhyun

Good afternoon, Baekhyun! Um, could you go to my house this evening at 4p.m.? I have something to tell you. I'll see you soon! ^_^

P.S. I'm sorry for the use of an emoticon! Haha.

Yoonjo clicked onto the 'Send' button on her phone and her smile grew wider. She hoped Baekhyun would come and she really hoped so.

Suddenly, she shed a tear and she heaved a deep sigh, caressing the fabric as she mumbled, "I miss you, appa, eomma and oppa."

As she pondered in her thoughts again, the sound of her phone vibrating interrupted the silence in her bedroom. Yoonjo checked her phone and she giggled again at the reply Baekhyun sent to her.

From: Baekhyun

Good afternoon, Yoonjo-ah! Of course and say hi to your parents for me. I can't wait to see your house. I'll see you soon too! :D

P.S. It's alright and look, I used an emoticon too! So, from now on, we'll be emoticon buddies then!

***

Later, still at Yoonjo's house, 4:00p.m.

The doorbell of Yoonjo's house rang a few times. Yoonjo was taking an afternoon nap in her bedroom so, Mrs. Shin opened the door.

"Good evening, Mrs. Shin." Baekhyun gave a deep bow at Mrs. Shin and Mrs. Shin just flashed a sweet smile.

"Oh, good evening to you too, Baekhyun."

Baekhyun blinked his eyes and scratched his head. "How could you know my name, Mrs. Shin?"

"Yoonjo told me a lot about you."

"Ah, I see. Is Yoonjo at home? Also, thanks for the apple pie, Mrs. Shin."

"Yes, she's sleeping in her bedroom. Oh, no problem. I guess, Yoonjo told you to come over?"

"Yes, she did. So, could I come in?"

"Of course. Make yourself like you're at home."

Baekhyun took off his shoes and he walked up the stairs, which he thought that maybe, where Yoonjo's bedroom was located.

Yoonjo was already awake and the girl rubbed her eyes, yawning softly. She looked at her reflection in a mirror and tilted her head.

Suddenly, she heard soft knocks on her bedroom door and Yoonjo immediately got off the bed, walking towards the door as she opened the door slowly.

"Oh, it's you, Baekhyun." Yoonjo curved her lips into a smile and invited Baekhyun to come in.

"Hey, Yoonjo. Your foster mom's really nice, not like mine."

"Haha. She's very friendly to neighbours and even, strangers."

"I see. So, what's the 'something' you would like to tell me?" Baekhyun asked Yoonjo as he admired Yoonjo's bedroom for awhile.

Yoonjo walked towards her computer and motioned Baekhyun to come closer with her finger. Baekhyun followed as instructed.

Yoonjo played the video again and Baekhyun watched it with full interest. He smirked at the end of the video and turned his gaze at Yoonjo.

"Your brother's very handsome.. I'm sure you have a brother complex right now."

"Baekhyun-ah, I told you yesterday. I don't have a brother complex!" Yoonjo huffed lightly.

"Okay, okay. So, tell me from A to Z."

Baekhyun looked at Yoonjo in confusion as the shorter fiddled with her skirt. He thought that Yoonjo may be nervous.

"Um, as you can see, Baekhyun, my brother said that I can tell a friend that I trust about this. Also, the person has to follow me to search for my elder brother."

"Who's that friend that you're going to choose, Yoonjo?"

Yoonjo gulped into and said, "I chose you because I trusted you."

***

A/N: Hello, my dear readers! Finally, after a month, this chapter is finally posted! I'm sorry for the late update since I'm not in the mood due to my personal life stressing me out. I got family and school problems to take care of. So, I'll take a three-week semi-hiatus since my year-end exams are starting on the 23rd of September. I'll try to update while studying. ^^

Anyway, I'm sorry for the crappy chapter. But thanks to all of my 9 subscribers and 100+ views especially the comments. Thanks again for supporting me all the way! So, we'll see again at the fourth chapter as the story develops. Goodbye!

Oh, before I sign off, I'm sorry for my spelling errors and grammar. I'm too lazy to proofread. xD