Loneliness

Raised Insecurities

6pm the same day:

 

"Minnie!! Minnie!!" Minseok's mum knocked on Minseok's door constantly. "Aish!" Minseok ruffled his hair in frustration and opened the door for the 50th time. "What is it now?" he questioned in a firm tone, his eyes full of annoyance.

"I just wanted to see how good my son looked~" his mum defended herself after having asked Minseok all of her questions for the day. Minseok looked at her in disbelief for a few seconds before chuckling.

"Your son will match up to Ki- I mean my future father's son ok? Don't worry about me,I am the school's kingka ofcourse~" Minseok smiled with a smug look on his face. Obviously he was confident in his looks but not to an extent that made him a self-obsessed boy. "I know my son looks good, I just wanted to hear it from you" his mum smiled and hugged her son tightly. "It's been a long time since I felt this happy baby...it still feels like a dream that's too good to be true.." his mum said, her voice filled with insecurities and worries. "Don't worry omma, you deserve this...and I am happy that your wishes are coming true one by one..I am happy that you are happy, now don't over-react and over-think ok?" Minseok smiled and patted his mum's back in order to make her understand that everything was fine.

 

"Minnie..can you promise me something?" his mum questioned, raising her eyebrow slightly at him. "...." Minseok didn't respond, he knew whenever his mum asked him to promise something, it would be something he couldn't fulfill easily. "..Umm..go on.." Minseok gave up, after all his mum was everything to him and he knew he had to fulfill all of her promises to make her happy. "...Don't..don't fight with Kibum oppa's son ok? I am not saying you should up to him or anything but please try to get along with him for my sake ok? This is your mum's last request for you.." his mum said and broke the hug, walking a few steps back and looking at her son's face for any reactions. Minseok wondered for a while..he knew it would come to this eventually, and he knew as the older one of the two 'brothers', he would have to be the one to compromise and make the first move but he also knew he had self-respect and if anyone tried to mess with that, he would hurt that person.

7:40 pm

 

"Fine. But if he starts being all bratty and annoying, I won't bother anymore, ok?" he stated. His mum immediately nodded and grinned. "Now that's my boy~ Get everything you want to take and let's get going. We have a 2 hour drive ahead of us, well you are driving, I am just gonna rest and dream about my perfect wedding~" his mum's face beamed with happiness as she started day-dreaming again about her wedding. Minseok looked at her and shook his head. "Mum, quit daydreaming and let's go!!" he exclaimed, grabbing his phone and putting it in his black trousers before turning the light off from his room and walking out of their house. Just as he was walking towards his mum's car, he saw Luhan jogging infront of him. "Yah!" Minseok called out to the blond boy jogging towards him. Luhan's eyes widened slightly and he just waved back before making his way towards the house beside Minseok's and entering it. "Oh! That's your friend again! So he's Minah's nephew from China!" she exclaimed after making an 'ohh' sound.

 

Minseok just blinked a few times, unable to handle all the pieces of information he had encountered just now. "W-Wait what? Luhan's my neighbour?!" he blurted out. Surely that wasn't a coincidence right? "Yah! Why do you keep having mental outbursts, why can't you just focus on what you are about to do? Now hurry up and get in the car!!" she whined and opened the car's handle before pushing him inside. She quickly got in herself and Minseok soon drove off despite leaving with many mixed feelings. 'Maybe it is just a bit of a coincidence..' he wondered. At the sight of his mum's eyes slowly fluttering and eventually close, Minseok the radio in low and started listening to the music. Maybe this weekend was what he needed to sort his mind out, after all, a weekend in the heart of Chuncheon city - a smaller but busy city like Seoul. A weekend full of walking down the Dakgalbi, street eating patbinsu and lots of dakgalbi. What worried Minseok the most was meeting his future step-brother who had just come from the States and the things Minseok had heard about Korean teenagers living in the States was not good.

 

He wondered how his step-brother behaved, looked, thought, ate, walked...to summarise it all, Minseok was more than curious. He wanted to see his step-brother. He wanted to see the 'Kim Jongin' his mum would always brag about from the conversations they had through Skype. At first their calls would last no more than five minutes with his mum asking how Jongin was doing and stuff but after a few months when things got really serious, their talks became more frequent and lasted for hours and hours. Minseok was happy to see his mum do so well with Jongin but it made him sad that he didn't have the same time to spend with her. He felt like he was unable to make her smile like Jongin made her smile...and that's the reason as to why he had never once seen nor heard Jongin talking. And that was the reason why he was now dreading meeting his new step-brother.

 

 

After a total of 100 minutes, Minseok's mum woke up due to a call. She answered the call and told her future husband that they were nearly at the house and within fifteen minutes, the mother and son parked outside Kibum's house. His mum immediately opened the car's door and hugged her future husband that was stand just a few metres away from her. Minseok got out of the car and took his mum's heavy bag out. Kibum offered to carry it inside and Minseok let him. "Jongin, go on and help your brother get his stuff inside" Kibum stated as soon as he walked inside the house. After a brief silence, light footsteps could be heard from the stairs. Kai had come down and walked outside the house to help Minseok with his stuff. Minseok who had just taken out his bag, got suprised when his bag was suddenly taken away from him. "Sir's waiting for you" and with that Jongin walked back into the house - without giving Minseok a chance to look at his face.

 

"Jongin, take your brother's stuff in your room, freshen up and come down" Kibum ordered, Jongin just followed his father's order and walked back up to his room, Minseok's bag in his right hand. He dropped the bag on the floor beside his bed and stared blankly at numerous frames hanged on the wall...frames that contained memories between his father and Minseok. Memories that never ever once belonged to him...even the room didn't feel like his own...after all this was the first time in 5 years out of the 15 years he had lived so far, that his father had actually bothered to call him back. That too probably at his future mother's request - only to have to study in one of South Korea's worst schools, Chuncheon Academy - full of gangsters and delinquents. After the separation from his aunt, Jongin was truly lonely. But he did have a small bit of hope, a hope that his new family would make him better.

 

Jongin was so deep in his own thought that he didn't even hear Minseok come in and go to the toilet, after a few seconds, he came back to life and walked towards the bathroom to get a shower - that's when he saw a very surprised Minseok and his  ****.