Why are you so concerned?

Raised Insecurities

“Love has enough power to make someone insecure about themselves, to such extent that ultimately leads them to death. It has enough power to make someone question themselves or question others, but without love, there’s no end to these insecurities. Without love, all people do is, cover those insecurities and replace them with a fake mask. In some cases, love does reduce or even eradicate all insecurities, but these are rare cases. We humans only understand the meaning and worth of love when we no longer grasp it.” A standing ovation was created and the series of loud applauses echoed through the 30,000 seats cinema hall.

 

Spring 1994

 

After an hour of surgery, the light outside the operation theatre flashed off, signalling the end of the operation and the white door opened swiftly. “Mr Kim?” the doctor questioned as he removed the green mask of his face. A distraught but hopeful Kibum rose up from his seat ever so slowly, observing every minor changes to the doctor’s face when he answered yes. The doctor composed himself after taking a deep breath. “I am sorry Mr Kim, we couldn’t save your wife…” he said looking down at his hands that had failed to save his 1st patient that year. Kibum froze for a while, his wife – the woman he had been forcefully married to for three years was now dead. In a matter of seconds, one corner of his lips were about to curve up into a smile when he heard a ‘but.’ There was always a BUT. “But we did manage to save your child. Congratulations Mr Kim, you have a handsome baby boy~” the doctor semi-cheered, hoping to console the father.

 

Soon the about-to-be smirk turned into a frown, Kibum was not happy to hear that he had to accommodate yet another burden. He was planning just walk away from the doctor by pretending to be angry about the news then never come back for the ’s son when a familiar, female voice interrupted him. “What should we name him Kibummie?” she said, wrapping her hand around his left arm, startling him for a second. “My sister” he spoke when his eyes met with the confused doctor’s. The doctor just nodded approvingly. “Well, he is very healthy and you are free to take him with you tonight, as for your wife, we have to let the police to a post-mortem…just for formalities cause your wife had a sudden death, you understand right?” the doctor explained. "D-De-Death? Misun unnie's dead?!" Jiyeon exclaimed. She immediately dropped to the ground after her brother nodded.

 

Summer 2008

 

“Yah! Min ah, open your eyes. There’s a new student in the class..” Yongguk whispered and nudged his best friend who was sleeping like a log. “Hmmr…” Minseok moaned out and stretched his arms out before yawning and opening his eyes ever so slowly. He found every pair of eyes directed towards him, except his best friend’s who’s who rolling instead but Minseok didn’t mind that, all he noticed was the blonde boy at the front of the class. The boy with the deer-like eyes, long , smoothly pointed nose and a little bit too pink lips. It was no doubt that the boy’s face was oval, maybe even more oval than a girl’s and Minseok had to admit that the boy looked more pretty than handsome. Upon not being able to contain his interest, his lips curved up into a true smile – one he hadn’t shown for over a month. Suddenly there were a series of screams amongst the class but the only thing the latter was focused on was the stranger’s facial expressions. The stranger’s lips had also curved up into a smile automatically, but after noticing the cheers and meeting Minseok’s eyes for more than just a few seconds, Luhan quickly looked elsewhere.

 

“Finally the prince is awake” Yongguk teased. Minseok tilted his to face and rolled his eyes at Yongguk, in his 58th attempt to say that he wasn’t very fond of that nickname. “Um…Minseok?” the teacher interrupted. Minseok turned his attention to the on-going cheers and with one look, the crowd went quiet. The teacher mouthed a thank-you at the popular student before continuing to introduce the student beside him. “So guys this is Xi Luhan, an exchange student from China, he’s Korean is still not fluent so help him out ok?” Mr Eric said to the class. “Luhan, go sit next to Minseok” he instructed the student in Mandarin. “Minseok, raise your hand – he’s going to sit next to you from now on” Mr Eric explained, earning groans and murmurs from the class. After all, no-one was allowed to sit next to the kingka Minseok, not even his girlfriend Song Jieun. Minseok on the other hand immediately raised his hand and flaunted another one of his dreamy smile as Luhan approached him. Luhan took his black, leather bag off his shoulders before placing it next to the table and sitting down. Minseok could see the latter fiddling with his hands before looking at Minseok and immediately looking at the front again.

 

Minseok just chuckled and shook his head at the guy, he got ready to sleep again when the bell rang, signifying it was time to go home. “I am so glad we’re finished!!” Jieun who sat on the table infront of Minseok with Yongguk cheered, while Yongguk nodded. “B-Bwo? We’re done already?” Minseok exclaimed as more students got up from their seats to leave. “Why? Do you want to study some more?” Jieun teased. “What? Of course not! I just assumed it was the bell for lunch…” he muttered under his breath. “Yah, you slept all the way through lunch too!” Yongguk added. Minseok thought for a second, did he really sleep through lunch? “B-But..why is he here, just practically five minutes b-before..” Minseok sighed and just shook his head earning two confused looks. “Why are you so concerned?” Jieun pouted.

 

“Hi, I am Song Jieun. This is Bang Yongguk – he’s really short-tempered and scary on the outside but in the inside he’s just a really shy guy and the one next to you is the so-called prince of Seoul Academy, Kim Minseok – captain of the football team and the president of the school council plus our homeroom's president~” Jieun introduced herself and the other two in Mandarin. Luhan’s eyes widened at the start of Jieun’s sentence but he soon managed to control his emotions and just nodded, a smile formed on his lips when he gained more information about a certain someone. However, the other two who were oblivious to Jieun’s Mandarin skills were too dumb-founded and confused after witnessing it. “How d-do you…” Jieun interrupted Yongguk. “This is the reason I am the school’s queenka, cause I am perfect in every way” Jieun stuck her tongue out at Yongguk who just rolled his eyes and stood up.

 

“Let’s go” he said after checking the time. Both Jieun and Minseok got up from their seats. “I am Xi Luhan..” a small voice interrupted their movement. “I am an exchange student from Beijing..” he added before extending his hand towards Jieun who shook it immediately with a smile.“Great to meet you Luhan” she replied. "A-An-Anyeong?" Luhan managed to greet Yongguk after directing his hand towards the latter. Yongguk looked confused for a while before shaking Luhan's hand strongly, a slightly scary voice came out. "Bye" and with that Yongguk walked towards the door, shortly followed by Jieun who ran after him. Minseok who couldn't care less, extended his own hand towards Luhan, only to witness Luhan walking towards the door as well. He blinked a few times due to shock. Clenching his fists tightly, he decided to demand for an answer and walked outside the classroom - only to be greeted by his mum. "Minseokkie~ Omma is so happy today!!" his mum cheered and hugged her son a bit too tightly, Luhan who had looked back at Minseok chuckled slightly.

 

"Baozi" Luhan mouthed and followed it with another small chuckle before walking away. 'Baozi?' Minseok thought before realising how suffocating his mum's hug was. "O-Omma! I can't breathe!" he whined and removed himself from the hug. "Yah! Now you're too old to get a hug from your mum? Your omma knows that you are very popular ok? I won't embarrass you!" she chuckled. "You know that I am not embarassed of you! I was just trying to make sure the new exchange got home safely!" he whined and frowned at his mother's behaviour. "..The pretty guy who just went past? I knew I hadn't seen him before!!" she exclaimed. "By the way, why are you so concerned?" she questioned. 'Why am I so concerned?' Minseok thought to himself before shaking the thought off his mind. "Cause I am the class's president, that's why! Besides that is not the point, why are you being so lovey dovey all of a sudden?" he raised his eyebrow. "Minnie..we are going to Kibum oppa's house for dinner, his son is going to be there too..omma's getting married!" she announced and hugged her son once again.