Chapter 5: Broken reveries, broken fingers, and a lot more nonsense. I love my life.

Unglamorous

[A/N: I wrote my story to go along with 2PM's current schedule of events. Here's the DSCS concert! I hope you like it!]

 

...

I walk around the concert grounds feeling more nervous than I should. I clenched at my stage pass that hung around my neck. I haven't been able to see the guys all week, and I haven't even seen any of their choreography for this gig. If my intuition was right, then I'd probably be burning a few holes into their back-up dancers' heads- me and the whole sea of people who came here today. One of the staff was saying that there was probably going to be around 15000 people who'd come today. I don't think he was exaggerating one bit. I move away from the crowd and make a beeline backstage where the boys were already waiting. Thirty minutes to go before the concert starts and everyone was on edge. I felt a little apprehensive as I neared the door to their rooms. I haven't seen them in a week, and I knew they had some form of concept change for this event. The security personnel by their rooms were eyeing me like I was some crazed fan, I lift up my pass, and they let me in, and I open the door carefully, slowly.

 

My initial reaction? Chansung has red Kwon hair! And Junho has dark hair again! Taec had cornrows? and was Nichkhun blonder? I get bombarded with 'noonas' even from the guys my age, and I break out into a big grin. Coordi-unni, Minjae-shi, and Namyong-shi were all there. It felt like a family reunion, if you asked me.

 

“I just sneaked in to say hi.” I say.

 

Junho gets up from his chair and gives me a nice big hug. He doesn't actually let go, moving to hold me from behind, propping his chin on my shoulder. Chansung was next to give me a bear hug. I'd die first before admitting to them that getting sandwiched between the two of them felt like home to me. I hear Wooyoung whining about his turn in the background, and as soon as Chansung leaves, AngAng comes up to hug me.

 

“What took you so long?” Taec asks, “I thought you'd be here first thing in the morning.”

 

“I was,” I say, “I was busy running errands for the entire staff. I just got away from them all a few minutes ago.” I struggle a bit when even Wooyoung refuses to let go. Junsu just smiles at me from his seat, and that's pretty much all we needed to do to connect with each other. Nichkhun tries to sneak between Wooyoung and Junho but fails, which is good.

 

“I'm so proud of you.” I say to them. Junho tightens his grip and says he's really nervous. At this point, there was really just one thing for me to say, “Fighting!”

 

I walk out into the concert grounds to watch as well. I join a few other staffmates, and they offer me some light sticks to choose from. I was almost tempted to get Junho's emperor light stick, but the guys would kill me- then again it was an opportunity I couldn't pass out, so I take Junho's and the generic 2PM one. I missed Miss A's performance, which really isn't such a big loss, considering all things. I'll waste time on my thoughts on them some other time. 2PM finally comes in their flashy entrance on motorcycles. Wait...that's 'What Time Is It?' in the background, but instead of Jay's voice, it was Taec's. I try to shrug it off, and let the awesomeness of the opening stage entrance me. As usual Don't Stop Can't Stop was fierce, Chansung was really owning the red hair there. Tired of Waiting could have been fantastic, if not for the scantily clad back-up dancers coming too close and too personal to my boys. Seriously, Park Namyong was really going to get it from me. I Hate You was next, and even I was jumping like some crazy fangirl. For the record, I actually was. The Without U performance was pretty cool with the light mist and lightning, and it was really sweet, the message they had for everybody. After Without U the boys introduce themselves and open the concert officially. Really, did they have to introduce themselves? It's not like they're newbies.

 

All in all, the concert was a success. The Cinderella's Sister parody was crazy, the Orange Caramel parody and the trot medley was crazy. I knew they were working hard, but I had no idea they all had this planned. Junho's solo stage was literally on fire- I think he may have taken a few tips from Rain's performances, but what really takes the cake here was Chansung's solo performance. If Junho was on fire, Chansung burned the place down. The boy was just...ugh. There are no words. I don't even think the word boy suits him anymore. I've never been to an actual concert before, so I don't actually have any bases for comparison, but I'm pretty sure the DSCS concert was unforgettable. Funny thing was the other fans were giving me the evil eye. I was wearing a DSCS shirt similar to what the boys were wearing during the last set of the concert- I was staff, with special friends. Duh.

 

What Nichkhun did was actually really nice, too. I didn't even know it was Yanin's birthday. It was so nice of their families to come over for their concert. I kinda miss my own family too. And Jay. They left his rap intact in 10/10, and it almost felt like he was here too.

 

The only peeve, for me, was my having to assist the SNSD girls. Yuri, Hyoyeon, Tiffany, and Jessica. Yes. Call me an anti if you will. Of course, it wasn't anything personal. Yet. I don't know, I guess they just weren't the kind of girls I'd be friends with- or even like for that matter. Yes. I'm incredibly shallow. I refuse to call it insecurity when I'm taller than they are in heels- even in my sneakers (which only adds an inch, and a half, I think, maybe).

 

As soon as the concert was officially over- 2PM had left the stage, the fans were leaving and the clean-up committee were coming in, I tried to squeeze my way towards the boys. I heard the SNSD girls went to see them, but, meh. I really was in no mood to witness that. Only I luck must hate me, because there they were right there with their flimsy clothes and four-inch heels (Okay, so Yuri was taller than I was in her four-inch heels, but only by a little!). I really should get a grip. Really, hating on them without really knowing them was juvenile. Meh. As if I actually care.

 

I look around and the other boys were with their families and friends. I heard there was going to be some kind of after-party, and that I was invited too. I don't actually get the after-party thing. They were going to do the concert tomorrow too, why not just do the after-party then? But then again, two after-parties are, as Junsu would say, the bomb. The bomb.

 

I look around trying to find a place to fit myself in. How pathetic. Where the heck was I going to find a ride to get to the celebration venue? Someone taps my shoulder, and it's Namyong-shi.

 

“Need a ride?” he asks. Luck loves me. A lot.

 

I always liked riding with Namyong-oppa. Oppa, well, he's always been oppa, it's just weird thinking of him that way- what was my point? Ah, yes. It was always nice riding with Namyong-oppa. Not that I do this a lot, which is partially why it's so special. His car was really nice, it smelled nice too. Actually, his car smelled like his perfume- which I really like. Something that I'd admit to openly, because Park Namyong is an acceptable target like that. Speaking of targetting...

 

“So, how did you like the performance?” he asks.

 

“Really? You had to design the choreography like that? You know, from below the stage the dances were really beyond y. Does JYP really pay you to do that?”

 

He laughs, “You didn't like it? The boys were uncomfortable at first, too.”

 

“I'm not actually sure how I feel about it. And you really should have had Wooyoung do some real dancing, and not some moves you saw while drunk in a dream!”

 

He laughs again, harder this time. Seriously, Wooyoung was an amazing dancer. The reason he was so underrated and so picked on on his Ssanti-ness was because of the lack of real moves he is well capable of showing on stage.

 

Namyong-oppa makes a turn at a hotel and announces we were at the venue. Really? That was quick. I could have walked here!

 

“You should change into something. You're sweaty. You might get sick again” He says once he's finished parking.

 

“I don't think I have anything to change into.” I say, I check my bag, but all I have is the big white tank unni gave me earlier. She said it was too big for her models anyway, and that she didn't want it laying around the salon stockroom. So yeah, I'm not really sure how to feel about that. But Namyong-oppa remembering my sick days was really sweet. He better be careful. He is an acceptable target, after all.

 

I take out the top and show to him, and he says that it's fine since it wasn't a formal event or anything. He goes out of the car to let me change, and when I come out he assesses my look.

 

“Hmm...something's missing.” He says. He steps closer to me and ties the loose end of my tank into a knot on the side and folds up my skinnies a bit. “Now you look like a dancer.” he says, dusting off his hands.

 

   “Dancer?” I scoff, “I can't even figure out how to do the skipping part in the I Hate You chorus” I say, doing a demonstration of my dismal dancing skills. He laughs out loud as he stops me, pushing my arms to my sides and stopping my skipping. He pulls my skinnies back down again before deciding that the 'Hip-hop' look, while it suits my look and frame, does not fit very well with my personality.

 

   We walk together into the hotel, and we meet the boys at the lobby. We walk together to the function room and the small program starts. Namyong-oppa had to go to the special table at the front, so I tell him I'll just go sit with some of the interns.

 

   It's times like these that I hate my anti-social tendencies. Not that I was a snob to the others, I just didn't have a lot to socialize about. Especially to people my age. I was directly under Minjae- shi and Coordi-unni, and I spent pretty much as much time as the boys with Namyong-oppa so we got pretty close, but to the others? Well, it's the woes of a socially awkward scientist.

 

I spot Coordi-unni mingling, and I figured that's not something I should intrude in, so I just grabbed some food and sat in the far corner of the room where I could watch everybody, at the cost of looking weird. Ian Choe, one of the boys' producers pass by and acknowledges my presence, which was actually really nice of him. I give him a small bow and he just smiles as he continues on his way towards the men's room. Great. Fantastic spot I got right here. My phone vibrates in my pocket, and Junho's face greets me when I flip open my phone. “Noona, where are you? I can't see you T.T”

 

I put the last piece of food in my mouth and stand up to look for Junho. I hear my name being called, and it's Horvejkul, with his family.

 

“Hey,” he says, “You haven't met my family right.” he says. He introduces us to each other, and I do my best with what little Thai I picked up.

 

His mom was really nice. She was all smiley with my minimal AND broken Thai, and thanked me in English for being so attentive to the guys. The other Horvejkuls were really nice too. They must have a gene for kindness, though his older brother Nichan seemed a little more serious than his siblings. I was about to ask Nichkhun where Junho was when he started talking about me being a graduate student under the Natural Sciences Program at Dankook, and that I was majoring in molecular genetics. Right. You really want me to die Nichkhun Buck Horvejkul?

 

The sisters started asking me questions, even the parents, and Nichan seemed interested. I tell them it's not really as great as it sounds, and yes, graduate school is very difficult, and I hardly have any free time, and I need to work to live so I make time like this, but I'm also human, and still very young- Nichkhun was older than me (by 15 days, if you want to be about it), so I still make time to have fun. I really didn't like talking about grad school because it made me feel so inadequate, knowing how I'm not the best student there was. The Horvejkul family was nice, though, and when I finally managed to extricate myself, Junho has already sent me another text. “Yah, did you break your fingers? Where are you?”

 

I spot Junho with his parents, and I think twice before approaching him. Too late though, because he sees me first. I walk towards Junho and greet his parents with a 90 degree bow. Junho says his parents were about to leave, and he was going to walk them out. I tell him I'll just be here, and bid his parents goodbye. A while later Junho comes back in and walks straight towards me, a determined look on his face. Determined to do what?

 

Minjae-shi grabs a hold of Junho before he's even anywhere near me and pulls him away to join the other members. I sigh in relief and walk towards an empty table. Someone puts an arm around me- again, it was Namyong-oppa. He leads me to the aforementioned empty table and sits with me. A waiter passes by and offers us some drinks, and we both take one.

 

“Need a lift home?” he asks.

 

I nod like Wooyoung does, hoping I look as cute as him when he does it. Apparently I did, because Namyong-oppa sniggers a little, saying “How cute” along with it.

 

“You're coming to the concert tomorrow too, right?” he asks.

 

I nod again, “Yup. Unni says I should be at the office by 11AM. We'll all go together.”

 

“You really shouldn't put so much space between you and people, you know. You're a nice girl, but you should really smile more so people don't feel so intimidated around you. You look nice when you smile.”

 

That was strangely random, and spot on. “What are you talking about?”

 

“You tend to make lines between you and people. I finally figured it out. I was watching you earlier tonight. You could have joined in on the boys or Eunsung, but you just sat there.”

 

Ah. Stupid choreographer.

 

“Don't be like that with me, okay? From now on, I'm not just 2PM's choreographer. I'm also your oppa. Understand? If you need anything, just say so, give me a call.”

 

That was really random, and almost uncalled for, but I nod and say I understand anyway. It was about time to go, because 2PM was already saying their thanks and stuff in front. After saying goodbye to everyone, oppa and I stand to leave along with the others. It was nearly 2AM (how quaint) and the boys needed their rest- we all did.

 

We were nearing the parking lot when I hear someone call my name- not really someone. It was Junho and Wooyoung. They motion for me to go to them, and I look at Namyong-oppa before I do.

 

“Noona, you haven't congratulated us yet.” Wooyoung says, once I reach them.

 

“You guys were busy. Congratulations!” I reply, giving Wooyoung a hug. I congratulate them all again, and another round of hugging ensues. Yes, even Horvejkul, because it would be weird and snobby of me if I didn't hug him too.

 

“Noona, we'll take you home.” Junho says, I protest but Minjae-shi already pushes me inside the backseat with Wooyoung, Junho and Chansung. The rest of them sit in the front row, and I guess this works too. I send a quick text to Namyong-oppa telling him Minjae-shi and the boys were taking me home.

 

Junho snatches my phone away when Namyong-oppa's text arrives. He was frowning.

 

“What do you think you're doing?” he asks.

 

Excuse me? What was he going on about now?

 

“Namyong-oppa? Since when was he oppa? You came here with him too. You were even joking with him in the parking lot. He was also fixing your clothes. You were always with him tonight.” Junho says.

 

“You're supposed to wait three months after a break-up before seeing another person, even I know that and I haven't even dated.” Wooyoung adds.

 

This was crazy. The boys started talking at the same time, and the only thing that kept me from pulling out my hair and losing my sanity completely was the weariness from today's concert.

 

I start explaining when they stop talking. Why was I even explaining myself to them? “First of all, we're friends. We've always been, remember? You were all so busy and occupied that I couldn't intrude, especially when you're with your families.” Seriously, what was it with these guys?

 

“So you don't like him or anything?” Chansung asks. I reply with a firm no, and they seem satisfied.

 

Taec asks me what I thought of the concert, and I give my thoughts exactly. I take out my 2PM light stick and switch it on in the van. They seem to be pleased by this. Children. I tell Chansung that red Kwon hair looks good on him, but I like his black hair more. I give my two cents worth on their concert, and I tell them how proud I am of them. “You guys were really amazing out there.” I end.

 

Junho lays his head on my shoulder. His hair was curling up already. At this length, it was actually kind of cute. “Thanks so much for always supporting and loving us noona.” he says.

 

“Silly boys,” I say, “of course I always support and love you, I get paid to do that.” Wooyoung whacks me with his neck pillow, and I try to whack him with the light stick.

 

The rest of them were nearly falling asleep, and I wonder how I'm getting out of the van when I'm stuck in the corner. But it really wasn't such a bad place to be.