Mr. Crybaby

STOLEN HEARTBEATS

 

 

 

[Gold Fish’s Aquarium] 1

 

HYUNG! Si-won hyung!” Leo called him as he was about to climb the stairs.

“Oh…” he answered, uninterested. Seriously, he was not in an idle mood to chat with that little guy. Not yesterday nor today, let alone tomorrow. He would always prefer to be on his own rather than mingle with him. He knew that Mr. Choi adopted this French-Korean kid to be his company a.k.a younger brother. But it wouldn’t do. Actually, he did not hate him, well a bit maybe. It’s because of his existence in the house that would always bring back the traumatic memory which he had always been trying to erase from his mind.  It was a tragic incident whereby his mother died from car accident together with his unborn brother. So, seeing Leo would always trigger irritation within him – irritation of having someone who was not biologically-related to his family from the start.

“Look! We made a family tree today at school!” He was on top of the world, overly excited.

Obviously, that’s nothing special to Si-won. Instead his ears were ached with that announcement despite of Leo’s cherry tone. ‘A Family tree? Tsk. So what? What’s the point of it?’ His head scoffed. He tried to say it out, but it clogged in his head, stuck. “My brother is dead!” that was the statement he made when Mr. Choi brought up the idea to adopt a child two years ago. However, Mr. Choi ignored his point of view and went on with his guts. Si-won knew his motive; to make him feel normal. As for him, it was equaled to hypocrisy. That’s it. It had been two years now and yet nothing special happened. Someone brought up the word broromance. Broromance? He didn’t really know what it was.

Hyung, look, look!” Leo pointed his hand to the family tree he made, excitedly.

“Dad, Leo needs you!” Not responding to Leo, Si-won called for his father instead. However, there’s no answer heard from the man of the house.

“Master, your dad is taking shower right now,” the maid informed as she brought a glass of milk to little master Leo.

“Shower?” Si-won drew a long sigh. “Then, you’ll have him,” He ordered her coldly and stomped his feet to upstairs.  

Leo’s face drew an obvious helplessness, longing. The maid seemed to understand what kind of longing it was. After all, she was the one who had been nursing the kid since he was three. She got a job in that house because of the kid.

Hyung hates me…” said Leo.

Ani … your hyung is just tired,” she corrected that little kid.

As he reached upstairs, Si-won went straight to his room and hit the king-sized bed of his while taking out the cell phone from his blazer, studied its external features carefully. The phone looked somewhat familiar. He quickly grabbed his phone. Bingo! They both have the same model – Samsung S4! And the bonus part was they both were in same color! - White. “Well, she’s a copycat!” said Si-won to himself. How could he come up with such perception anyway? Everybody have their own preference right? It’s what we used to call as having something in common. Pin that in your head Si-won and include the word ‘coincidence’ in your vocabulary bank, like seriously.

Si-won put it down on the bed right beside his and reached for the lollipop that she popped into his blazer just now. He took it out, pondered at it for a while and subconsciously a faint memory crept into his brain. He always prided himself on not being a crybaby. He thought back on the time when he was six years old and had been swinging from a bar at the playground somewhere near the kindergarten school he used to go every evening together with some friends and one of them had slipped. She cried terribly but then ceased when he offered her an orange flavor lollipop. And today, he wasn’t crying, but he got one.

‘I am not a crybaby Fish Ball.’ His head said that and he approved it. Even so, his eyes seemed rooted on the lollipop and noticed something. “Grape-flavored?! Right. Nice pick Fish Ball.” He grumbled. Frankly, that flavor wasn’t his cup of tea. He had it once and said it tasted like a cat piss. Omo! He said he wasn’t a crybaby right? But now he’s whining like one. Soon after that, he unknowingly dozed off.

 

*   *   *   *   *

 

[Home Sweet Home]

 

AS JI-YEON settled the Jjajangmyun, and had her shower, she directly hit the hay. “Slumber time, Ji-yeon-nie!” she cheered herself and in no time she had gone to the dreamland. She must’ve been so tired spending the day with that so-called Jelly-Legged Prince that she unconsciously snoring.

Mr. Park took a peek behind the door. He could hear heavy snores flew in the air. ‘She must’ve been so tired,’ he thought. There’s a dot of guilt in his heart. Seeing her doing most of the house chores alone everyday was heart-breaking. Doing the laundry, washing the dishes, feeding Lauren, preparing breakfast, doing school work, and even worse recently she had been speaking alone in the bathroom, while she’s doing house chores and even in her sleep, she talked. He knew why - she was practicing her Mandarin reading text. That wouldn’t be a problem for her if he used that language as a lingua franca at home because he without doubt good in it. But, it seemed that even the origin of the language alone had left an unforgettable event in his life.

He thought that Yun-ho could lend a hand, but he’s also busy with his dance practice. He intentionally did not hire any maids ever since they were welcomed in this planet. It wasn’t that he couldn’t afford them; he could have twenty if he wanted to, but he had this principle to let the children to stand on their feet in everything they do. He tried as best as he could not to spoil any of them. None of them was pampered luxuriously. Yes, none. If he ever put public image as his number one, Yun-ho and Ji-yeon would go to school by their own cars, or they could have their own drivers but he settled them with public transportation – bus. Exception to Yun-ho because he had to be at school until midnight, and the very least favor he could do was giving him a motorcycle. He believed that money wasn’t everything, but he knew that almost everything in this world needed money. It proved him once.

“Ah … she’s snoring again. Tsk tsk.”

Yun-ho’s voice sent him a jerk. “You don’t have dance practice tonight?” Mr. Choi asked.

“None,” Yun-ho answered briefly.

Mr. Park closed the door before him slowly. “And why are you still wandering around? It’s almost 12 a.m. Aren’t you supposed to be on bed now?” He enquired him as he walked downstairs.

“I’m an owl dad,” he joshed, joining him downstairs. The two chaps cracked up.

“Yes, we are indeed owls.” Mr. Park approved him. “Ji-yeon is both. She can be an owl and an early bird at the same time,” Mr. Park said as he rested on the couch.

“Yes, just like mom,” Yun-ho declared in blurry tone.

The word ‘mom’ felt like a wasp sting to Mr. Park. His chest suddenly felt heavy. His smiling face had turned cloudy. “Ahem. Should we watch something?” he changed the topic as he grabbed the remote controller.

Yun-ho sensed the unwanted atmosphere started to develop between them. “I’m thirsty. Would you like coffee dad?” He excused himself of being thirsty to cover his spill on mentioning his mother in front of him.

“I don’t think so,” Mr. Park declined and did not speak further.

Yun-ho hardly had a true conversation with his father, he did try but each time he started a conversation, it would always end in such a way – awkward. It’s because the word ‘mom’ would always be articulated by his tongue. It just happened naturally, casually.

Mr. Park understood why. He knew there’s longing in that young man’s heart too. He remained silent on the couch while Yun-ho had already gone to the kitchen. He could hear the sound of water being poured out into a glass. Another dot of guilt came dancing in his heart and the only thing that he could do was gave out a long sigh and had both of his hands rubbing his wrinkled forehead in distressed.

 

*   *   *   *   *

 

[Gold Fish Aquarium] 2

 

BEEP. Beep. Beep. Beep. Si-won opened his eyes slowly when he heard something was beeping. Half awoke, his hand wandered at the right side of his bed and stopped when he had the beeping creature on his hand.

“Hello?” he asked followed with a long yawn.

“Yun-ho oppa?” the caller asked suspiciously.

“Yun-ho?” he pronounced the name.

“Can I speak to Ji-yeon?” a request made by the caller and it sent something like electric shock to Si-won’s whole body at the moment that name flew out from the unknown caller. He could feel an electric wave ran up his spine and forced his eyes to open widely.

He looked at the screen. It’s Huiren on the line! Gasp! He almost jumped out from his bed. His eyes grew enormous as if they could pop out from their sockets anytime soon. He came to his senses and realized that it was Ji-yeon’s cell phone that he was holding. He gulped roughly. Huiren must have thought that it was Yun-ho on the phone on behalf of Ji-yeon to answer her incoming call. Well, of course because they both lived under the same roof, weren’t they? Wait, what happened to the ringtone? Oh, he turned it to silent mode since he hated it. He thought it was eerie. Now, he had no choice but to face this unexpected situation.

“Damn! What should I do?! , my head can’t even think straight!” Si-won murmured in panicked.

Oppa? Are you there?” The caller shot more interrogative question.

Si-won found himself scratching the back of his head. Luckily, a great idea came crashed into his mind at the right moment; an idea that had turned him to a snoring man.

He snored as loud as he could whilst his head was begging, ‘Hung up, hung up, hung up, please!’ He stopped when he heard a short beep sound. She ended the call.

“Phew!” he drew a sigh. He felt the relief. It’s like the curtain coming down at the theatre. What would happen if he spitted another words to her? He smirked at Ji-yeon’s phone. “Ahhh!” his mouth let out a shriek as he was greeted with another beep.

A text message received. His eyes blinked furiously. He got up from the bed and unknowingly he started to wander around his room. He stared at the cell phone long and hard. Then slowly, questions started to swim around in his brain.  

“Should I read? Should I not?” he hesitated as he gave it a frown. “Okay, you shouldn’t read because it’s not your phone. You don’t have the right to explore people’s private stuff. Si-won-ah, you are a mannered man.” He was discussing about it with his own self as he putting it back on the bed.

‘Wait. What if it’s something important?’ Curiosity lingered within him. ‘Anyway you answered her phone just now, accidentally, right?’ His mind tried to retrace what had happened to him few minutes ago. ‘Plus I even turned it on silent mode because of that creepy ringtone. So, let’s consider an exception here. You’re not stalking her phone. You are totally not. You are just lending a hand to take care of it, aren’t you?’ His brain started an argument. “Yes, I am totally not a stalker. I am … um …” he paused to search a proper vocabulary as he tapped his fingers on his chin. “A volunteer?” his mental supplied a noun. “Ah … yes, I am doing a voluntary work here. It means I am in charge on handling anything related to this phone, right? So, it means I have the right to answer incoming calls and read text messages! After all she was the one who left it in my car.  So, put the blame on her. Now, I am the owner of the phone, well, momentarily.” He reasoned his own action. He thought it’s logical to do it. He then slowly swiped the screen to read the message received from Huiren.

 

Ji-yeon-ah, kwaenchana? Sorry for not joining you. How’s the Jelly-Legged Prince of yours? (T.T) You said you’re going to tell me a nice bed story tonight. It must’ve been so hard for you. Mianhae chingu. Anyway, don’t dream that jerk! Pyeong~!

 

“Tsk. What do you mean by hard for you? Excuse me, I brought her to the flower shop with my fancy Hyundai, and I settled with the number of roses that we should buy, and I even had to cover her stupid question towards the florist and on top of that I sent her home right in front of her house, I did help, okay?! Who are you calling a jerk?! Haish, this ridiculous girl friend of that Fish Ball!” he talked to himself angrily and it almost sounded as if he was shouting to someone.

“What’s up with the curse? Who’s being ridiculous?!” Mr. Choi was standing by the door of his room. It startled his son.

“Haish … Don’t you know how to knock dad?” He was gritting his teeth; the irritation was doubled up now.

“You didn’t even shut it properly. This door was ajar. And your voice crept out through it, sending shock to me. I might die from heart attack because of your voice.” Mr. Choi stared at him, intimidated.

“Yah, you haven’t showered yet?! Haish, this duckling…” He thundered as he made his way into that duckling’s nest. He was still in his full uniform and was lying on the bed steadily. Si-won quickly pulled himself up when he saw his father was approaching him.

“I-I-I’ll hit the shower soon.” He stammered. He dared not to answer his father on top of his voice when there’s a huge gap of distance between them. But once his father paced a closer stand, he would always jellify.

“There’s no soon. It’s now!” Mr. Choi grabbed the pillow and raised it up in the air, aiming to shoot it at that over-pampered son of his. Instantly, Si-won’s legs choked into life and dashed for the bathroom’s door. Bam! He slammed it before him with all his might. “Haish … freaky old man!” Si-won hissed, felt totally annoyed.

“I heard you!” Mr. Choi’s voice banged his eardrums. “Doesn’t he get it? He’ll catch flu from it,” said Mr. Choi, concerned, and let out a sigh. He was super-duper aware of Si-won’s health. He’s so sensitive. He easily fell sick and on top of everything, he swiftly got irritated, hot-tempered to be precise. Was it a burden or was it a bonus? Everyone would know the answer.

“And now he has another new cell phone? Haish, he doesn’t even work at the company and handle business matters, and now he has started to lavish like one?” Mr. Choi threw a complaint. Even so, he hoped that Si-won would replace him someday to run the company that he left to Si-won’s uncle for the time being. He spent a lot of money to afford his study in China with the intention that he would gain experience so that he would become the kind of President that Mr. Choi had always desired for him to be. He gave the power of administration to his brother Mr. Choi Min-hwan over the company – Choi Dynasty, until Si-won were all ready to take in charge. Unable to restrain his deep concern towards his one and only biological heir, he decided to be the principal of his own school – Choi High School, so that he would always stay close with that big baby of his.

It was still crystal clear in his mind when Si-won cried one day, back from his first day at the elementary school. He had been teased by his peers because he had no mother, he didn’t even had anybody to accompany him at school during his first day because his father was away at his office, extremely busy. He stopped attending school for a year and started the next year when Choi High School and Choi Elementary School were established. Until then, there was no single person who dared to anymore, especially about his mother. He was actually 20, but since he suspended a year of his study, he had to enter the class with those who were a year younger than him.

He was about to leave the bed when he saw something nearby the cell phones. The lollipop; it caught his attention as if it were interesting. “Lollipop? What has gotten on him really…” muttered Mr. Choi. As far as he remembered, this spoiled son had stopped eating lollipop since the death of his mother. ‘He must’ve bought it for someone,’ he came up with an assumption.

“Dad!” Si-won called his father on top of his lungs. His voice sounded tremulous. Mr. Choi paused at the door.

“Yes!” he answered in his raising intonation.

“Towel!” he requested. “Palli!” Si-won commanded him demandingly.

“Why on earth you went in there without it?!” Mr. Choi sent him a thunderous question.

“Don’t’ blame me. It was you who rushed me in here just now. I want my towel, now!” he shouted.

Silence from Mr. Choi. He walked towards Si-won’s closet and reached for the drawer.

“Dad, faster! I might catch hypothermia soon! You know how sensitive I am,” he started it again – his freaky bluffing act. He knew that tactic would always work on him. Yes, always!

Arasseo! Arasseo! Haish, this duckling is really problematic,” he complained. He took Si-won’s newly washed towel in the drawer and walked briskly toward the bathroom’s door. Half-opened, Si-won reached out his hand to take the towel.

“Ah, shireo!” a cry rang in the bathroom just in time he got the towel.

“Wae?!” Mr. Choi asked.

“This is not my towel!” he whined again.

“I took it from your drawer. If it isn’t yours, then whose towel is this?!” Mr. Choi could almost see a strike of lightning above his head.

“Since when I got Pororo on my towel?!” He asked. Dissatisfaction was clearly heard from his tone.

‘Pororo? The maid must’ve mistakenly kept the towel in his drawer. That must be Leo’s towel,’ Mr. Choi thought.

“I want mine!” another command echoed from the bathroom.

To tell the gospel truth, Mr. Choi was totally zero strength to entertain his son’s bossy temperament. “Then come out without it!” he hammered the door, feeling irritated with his son’s grumble who exactly acted like a newborn baby in there.

Astounded by the bang sound on the door, Si-won jolted in shock and immediately fell quiet, feeling obliged to comply. He didn’t have the nerve to raise his voice at a higher pitch. He knew that so-called freaky old man must be outside on guard. That bang just now was a sign. He looked at the towel. “Haish, it can’t even wrap me half down there.” another complaint flew from his mouth.

“Are you going to stay there for the whole night?” Mr. Choi tried to restrain the surge of annoyance within him.

“How am I going to come out if you’re out there? I’m a grown man dad. I need privacy. Okay? Ei! It doesn’t even reach my knees,” he declared.

“Stop playing around in there, or else I’ll call the maid over to wrap you up! It’s not a big deal for me. Try me,” Mr. Choi warned him as he reached for the doorknob, fulfilling Si-won’s request for his so-called privacy.

Mwo? Playing? I am struggling in here you know. Eish, jjinja! This towel can’t even cover up my divine part. !” he hissed to himself. Bam! He heard the door slammed. ‘Great, he’s gone.’ His mind sent him the signal to sneak out from the bathroom. Happy sneaking out Jelly-Legged Prince! Good luck!

 

*   *   *   *   *

TO BE CONTINUED