Tape Two

Mixtape

 tape two 

 halo

 

________________________________________

►"Let's listen to it!" Daeun suggests, beaming once I tell her that this was a new mixtape. She studies the mixtape, making a face. "Where does he find these things to record the messages? I haven't seen one since elementary." She looks back at me and tugs on my arm. "Come on, let's go to the AV club. I'm sure they have a stereo we could use."

"Aw, now?" I groaned. "We're going to be late for class."

"We can just say we were talking to a teacher. Come on." She tugs on my arm as we make our way down the hall, past onlookers and other students who were making their way to class. I could fight back but…remembering that my teacher had made me stay behind class yesterday, I thought, hey, I already did the work I probably could have done today so to heck with it.

The AV Club was a club run by a bunch of students who liked to...well, I didn't exactly know what they did in the club besides play with electronics but hey, it wasn't really important if I knew or not, was it? In fact, I didn't even know what AV in AV Club stands for. A couple of our classmates and friends were in it so we often heard about what they were planning or filming to show at the Arts Fest but besides that, I never knew what they did. Arts Fest was a festival our school threw every late March and people come to watch the varies of arts that students could show - a play, a documentary, a band performance. You know, the usual stuff. In fact, this year's Art Fest was coming up next week.

Daeun drags me to Room 203 which is located just next to the auditorium. She knocks once on the door and then twice more before opening the door herself. It's quite a sight. Cameras and TV's were stored around the room, accompanied by stereos, mics and DVD players among other electronics. It occurred to me that we didn't even know if one of the members would let us use a tape player. I mean, who were we to just barge in when class was starting in, I glance at my watch, fifteen minutes? However, no one says a word when we march up to a average boy with brown curls who glances up from his camcorder and his eyes widen at the sight. Ah, right. Daeun. Half of the boy population at this school had a crush on her.

"Hansol, right?" His cheeks flush a scarlet pink before nodding. "You're the one in charge of this club, right?" I looked over to Daeun and then back to Hansol in surprise. I knew he was in the younger grade so it was surprising someone so young would be in charge.

"N-ne," he stammers. "What is it you need?" He mutters, scanning the ground nervously.

She holds up the mixtape and grins at him. "We need to use one of your tape players."

He wordlessly guides us over to a table where there's a small radio. He presses open a button and a slot pops open. He turns around to us and extends his arm so Daeun places the mixtape in his hand. He closes it, plugs in a pair of earphones and hands it over to us, blinking. "May I ask, what you're listening to?" He asks, shyly glancing at Daeun before looking to me. "It's been a while since I've seen a mixtape."

Ugh, why does everyone keep saying that? "Ani, it's nothing special. Just an old tape," I reply, waving him off. I know he doesn't believe me but he nods anyways and tells us he'll be over there if we needed anything else and leaves us alone. Daeun looks at me before reaching over and pressing play without another word.

"Ah, good morning, KyungmI!" It's the same voice from before. I smile to myself at how excited he sounds and shake my head. Daeun squeals, clapping her hands for the fifth time today. "Today, I had to miss the school bus and make my own way to school to get here early in order to deliver this in time. But I don't mind! You see, the tape from yesterday…I was planning on giving it to you face to face…but I chickened out when the bell rang and when I saw you weren't out of class yet, I just stuck it through the slot of your locker. Did I surprise you?" Heck yes you did. "Anyways, there's a song that's been stuck in my head since yesterday. It's Halo by Beyonce. I'm not sure if you heard of her but she's very popular over in America. Some people call her a queen! The song  reminds me of you. Maybe, one day, I'll sing it to you and hopefully, the song will make you as happy as it makes me." He lets out a shy laugh and Daeun nudges me from the side, grinning, reminding me that I wasn't alone and I was, in fact, still in school. "I hope you have a good day at school today, Kyungmi. Because when you're happy so am I!" Another shy laugh. "Aish, I'm so cheesy. Seok...my friend…says that sometimes and I don't think I realise that until now. Anyways, annyeong! I'll see you tomorrow!" Then, the tape whirrs to an end.

I blink, comprehending what he said while Daeun calls for Hansol again who scurries over. "Can we borrow a computer for a second?" Again, whereas a regular person would ask why, Hansol nods, walking over to a open computer and logs in. "Kamsahamnida, I really appreciate this, Hansol." His face flushes again and leaves us alone again. "Kyungmi! Come on, why are you standing there and staring at a wall? Take off the headphones and come over!"

Right. I pull them out and make over to her and watch her click play. After a few seconds, I grow frustrated. English. How was I supposed to know what the meaning behind the song was ? "Aish, what's she even singing?" I whined, pouting at the screen. "She could be singing mean things and I wouldn't know."

"Aish, you really are an idiot. Obviously it's a love song," she says, whacking me in my head again. I frowned, annoyed but I had to admit, Beyonce or whoever she was had some really nice vocals. The bell rings, the signal to the start of first period vibrating through the halls.

"Ah, chincha, Daeun! We're going to be late for English!" I shout, pulling her from the chair as we shout out thanks to Hansol before running towards our first class, hoping that we wouldn't be too late for a punishment.

--

First, second and third period go by quickly and soon enough lunch time rolls around and since Daeun and I have different classes before lunch, I meet up with her in the cafeteria. Finally leaving the lunch line, I slide my tray over an empty table and look around the café, scanning the room for Daeun or even a familiar face. However, no one really stands out and seniors and younger grades are crawling all over the place. Sighing, I tug out a new book that our teacher from Korean class assigned to us a week ago. I was really behind and I might as well take the chance to catch up now.

I can barely get past the first page when someone clears their throat. "Um, excuse me, is this seat taken?" I look up from my book at a tall boy with bright, brown eyes blinking at me. Probably a senior since he wasn't in my grade. He has dark hair, slightly brushing over his eyes as he curiously stared at me, waiting for my answer.

"Oh, um, I don't think so," I reply. He thanks me, sliding into the seat a few feet from me and opens a sketch book to a blank page. Weird. I glance up at him and watch him furrow his eyebrows as he thinks for a moment, his pencil hovering above the notebook. Is he thinking for inspiration? As if I asked the question out loud, he looks up at me and I quickly dodge back behind my book. Stupid. Caught looking at a senior. How embarrassing.

He seems familiar though. Like I knew him from around the school. But I couldn't put my finger on it. Was he from class? I peeked at him quickly before looking down again. No. Definitely not. I wouldn’t forget someone's face if I saw them every day. I mentally groaned. Why was I always so bad at names? I peeked at him again, only to find him looking back blankly. I gasped, quickly hiding behind my book again, hearing him let out a quiet chuckle. Hmmph. Who was he to laugh? Did I amuse him? It still bothers me that I don't remember his name. I was the girl who would spend the whole movie wondering who that actor was because it looked like I saw him before.

I glance at him again and I'm about to ask him for his name when Daeun slides in next to me, slamming down a notebook of her own. "Okay, so, I've come up with a pretty good list of who your little Romeo could be."

At the same time, he gets up from his seat, gives me a warm smile before throwing out the trash from his lunch before leaving the cafe. Darn. I never got to see if he got to draw or even ask what his name was. Defeated, I have no choice but to return my gaze to Daeun who waits for my attention. "Hey, who was that guy who sat here?" I asked, gesturing to the now empty seat.

Deaun thinks for a moment. "Uh, I think he's a senior. Soonyoung, I think?"

I snapped my fingers. "Right." I knew I had seen him before. "He sang for that musical we had last year right? He was pretty good." She nods and I sigh as she slides the notebook over to me and I scan it, raising my eyebrows. "You know, you're supposed to be working in class, not helping me with my love life."

She ignores me, shushing me before tapping the notebook again. "Shh, just look it over." I raise my eyebrows and study the list in front of me.

Choi Seungcheol - Boys soccer team, often observes you play

Lee Seokmin - Class clown, always seems happy when he makes you laugh

Wen Junhui - Chinese, always watches you when you speak

Jeon Wonwoo - Snarky kid but ruffles your hair a lot

Yao Mingming - Chinese student, sits behind you in math class

Yoon Junghan - Quiet kid but helped you study for a test this year, a test which you failed

Kim Mingyu - Pretty face, has a few selected friends but with many admirers

Jang Doyoon - Drama kid, helped you with the backstage stuff last year at the musical

Hong Joshua - Foreign exchange student, cute

"This is a pretty long list," I pointed out. "Seungcheol? The jock?" I gave her a questioning glance.

She nods and gives me a smirk. "Have you really not noticed? He always stops during practice to watch you play on the other side of the field. Annnnd, he always offers to help you with your goal kicks when your goal kicks are perfectly fine." She points of Seokmin. "Lee Seokmin. Always, always, always, smiles when you laugh. Always."

I grimace. "Some people get happy when people laugh."

"If that's true he's overjoyed when you laugh." I roll my eyes as she continues. "Junhui. Lots of girls find him exotic and all because ooh, Chinese speaker but he always pays attention to you when he's around to watch you speak. Like, studies you."

That sounds a little creepy, I think. But instead, I say: "That could be because he doesn't understand," I point out.

"You're missing my point. Why not ask someone to translate? Instead, he stares into your soul." I'm about to say he doesn't stare into my soul because that would be creepy but she cuts me off, pointing to the next name. "Ugh, Wonwoo." She rolls her eyes. "Kid has an attitude, barely smiles and I bet, is always secretly judging everyone. But, realize how he always ruffles your hair when we cross paths?"

"He's being friendly," I defend.

"Friendly is saying hello. The kid barely utters a word to anyone and just glares at everyone with that smug look of his." She pauses to mutter "face" under her breath before continuing down the list. "Mingming. Pretty face but I've seen him beat up that Junhui kid a couple times." I stare at her, waiting for a 'but' to  come in a luckily, it does. "Buuut, he sits behind you in math class and if I sat behind you in math class I'd beat you up too."

I stare at her, making a face. "So the sole purpose Mingming is on this list is because he has yet to beat me up…?" She shrugs, dismissing the logic to things and moves down the list again.  I sigh, shaking my head before looking at the list again. "Just because someone helped me study for a test doesn't mean they like me," I said, distinctively pointing at the name Junghan.

"Yeah, but maybe he did more than help you study. I mean, you passed with flying colours. Maybe you guys did some things you're not telling me..." She wags her eyebrows at me as I frown, a bit disgusted.

"You should stop." I pause at Mingyu's name, cocking my head to the side. Mingyu was in my chemistry class and we were in the same group so we knew each other fairly well but…did he even qualify as a secret admirer? Then again, no one on this list really did. Something seemed off. I felt like my secret admirer wasn't even on this list. I looked up at a hopeful Daeun and sighed. At least she tried. "Alright, what about Doyoon? He's a senior. Heck, half of the boys on this list are seniors, Daeun."

"What's wrong about that? Doyoon and you were especially close last year when you helped backstage. I mean, he was one of the people performing and still he had decided to help you paint the background drop scenes."

"Again, he was probably just being friendly," I suggested, giving her a sympathetic look. I dismissed Doyoon's name when Daeun groans, muttering how I needed to stop being so logical about everything and I squint at the last name and slowly sound it out. "Isn't that an American name?"

"Can you read? I wrote foreign exchange," Daeun says, underlining the words with her finger.

"I know he is but he's been here for like...a month? I haven't uttered a word to him and neither have you." I raise my eyebrows, blowing a strand of hair out of my face. "How would you know he might have a thing for me?"

"Yeah, but he's cute," she says, running her finger over the last word. "So why not?" She ends with a shrug and sighs dreamily. "You're so lucky, Kyungmi. What a grand romantic gesture. Imagine if you guys get married! What a story to tell on your wedding! And to your kids! And once you're grandparents - "

I hold up a hand, laughing. "Woah there, Daeun. Let's not get too carried away."

At the same time, I spot our music teacher, Mr. Jeo, waltz into the cafeteria, scanning the room, as if he was looking for someone. He catches my eye and I offer a small wave in which he brightens and walks over. He's attractive for a teacher and young so many girls fluttered their eyelashes too many times when he was around. To me, he was just Mr. Jeo. I did have to admit that he had a way with music notes though.

"Ah, Kyungmi. Just the person I was looking for," he greets once he reaches our table and Daeun quickly snatches the notebook from the table, shutting it firmly before he could look or even ask what it was. A few girls from another table enviously glare at us before standing from their seat and making their way out of the cafeteria as Mr. Jeo sits down next to Daeun, leans across the table, never mind to worry about his white dress shirt that might get dirty due to the table. "I'm pretty sure the both of you know of the Arts Fest next Friday?"

Ah, so it was next Friday. "Ne. I sure hope you're not here to convince us to participate because with all due respect sir, the spotlight isn't for me," I say, frowning. Daeun nods in agreement and Mr. Jeo chuckles.

"Ani, I'm not here for that. But I am here asking for help." I raise an eyebrow, as Daeun's shoulders slump. She was never one to hang around school after school hours. "I'm in charge to running Arts Fest this year and I desperately need an assistant." Assistant? "And you two are the most reliable people I know so, how about it?"

Being a high school was hard, surely he would know that. But when I open my mouth to decline, Daeun beats me to the punch. "Sorry, My. Jeo. I'm packed with practice. Coach says I need to practice more. And, I've got so much homework from other classes. So so so so so - "

"That's alright, Daeun-ah." He looks back to me, a hopeful glint. Ugh, I couldn't turn him down now. Mr. Jeo was one of my favourite teachers but also one of the newer ones. It'd be hard for someone to actually help him instead of trying to get his attention.

I sigh, forcing a smile onto my face. "Arraso, I'll help you out."

"Great!" He exclaims and I can't help but feel happy due to someone else's happiness. "We're holding auditions today after school. Think you can make it?"

I hesitate to nod since Daeun was planning on coming over but like she could read my mind (best friends could do that sometimes), she pips up. "I was planning on going over to her house after school but I can stop by after dinner I suppose. I have homework to do anyways."

I look over to her thankful for her gesture and she just beams at me. "Appreciate it, girls. See you after school, Kyungmi." And with that Mr. Jeo gets up from the seat and walks back out the cafeteria.

I sigh, slumping back into my seat once he was out of sight. "Assistant? How am I going to do it?" I asked, scratching it in among my busy schedule. Like Daeun, I had practice, homework and now assisting to do. Daeun gives me a sympathetic pat on the back as Sanghee and Hyunwoo, classmates of ours slides in beside us, lunch trays in hand.

"What did he want?" Sanghee asks, gesturing at Mr. Jeo's back as the door closes behind him. Sanghee had short jet black hair that reached her shoulders. She held her bangs out of her eyes with a bandanna and blinked at us curiously.

"Ah, he was asking for a favor," I replied, closing the book I forgot was open. I was never going to catch up at this point. Maybe I could squeeze in some reading later at the auditions. I pick up my chopsticks and start to eat the fried noodles now that it was probably cooled down. (Maybe too cooled down at this point. I had forgotten I had a lunch).

"Favor? For what?" Hyunwoo frowns, leaning back in his chair as he crossed his arms over his chest. "I swear, these teachers are always asking for favors. Never doing anything for themselves." Hyunwoo was one of those 'fight the power' kinds so I wasn't surprised with his attitude.

"Mr. Jeo is nice though," Sanghee defends, frowning as she pokes at her hoeddeok that sat on her plate, steam rising from the heat. "Anyways, did you guys hear about Gayun crushing on Seunggwan?"

"Isn't Seunggwan in the younger grade?" Daeun asks, picking up a baby carrot from Hyunwoo's plate.

"Yeah. Year ten this year. Word is he doesn't feel the same about Gayun so he's thinking of a way to let her down easily if she was to ever offer anything to him," Sanghee explains as Hyunwoo snorts.

"Minors," he mutters, picking up his chopsticks and eating his ramen. "Gayun is way out of his league anyways."

"No way. Seunggwan is way too talented for someone who just has a pretty face," Sanghee huffs.

"Are you saying you'd date him?" Daeun teases, making Sanghee's face flush. I sit back and tune out of their conversation of whether it was okay for the two to date and soon, their conversation turns into a matchmaking game, pairing up girls and boys in different grades. Luckily, my name never comes up.

________________________________________

a/n: yay, okay so hyunwoo and sanghee will be cameos in this fanfic so I don't think you need to pay too much attention to them. the names mentioned in daeun's list willbe cameos as well. but you get your first glance at soonyoung!! also, kyungmi will be helping with the arts fest so maybe someone will show up to stir things a little…? i'll be headed to a cottage tomorrow and staying there until school starts which is like four days away whimpers good luck for everyones first day ((and if you already went how was it??))