Tape One

Mixtape

 tape one 

 to kyungmi

 

________________________________________

► I yawned, fumbling with my pencil as I stared at the boring math equations on my notebook, groaning as I slammed my head down. Math was so boring. When was I ever going to use this in my life? I mean, they invented calculators for a reason. Laying my head on my side, I scanned my room which was equally messy as my locker. My mind wanders to the mixtape that I found again just as I spot it peeking out the edge of my bag. Might as well. It'd give me a break from my homework and I could find out who the tape belonged to.

I stood from my desk and reached over to pick up the tape, studying it yet again. Totally weird. I remembered that I used to have a stereo that I used but I forgot where I had left it once I got my own MP3 player.  Thinking for a moment, I throw the mixtape in the air before catching it, headed downstairs to ask my parents if they knew where it was.

"Appa," I called as I ran down the stairs. "Do we still have that old stereo that I used to use?" I asked, standing on the last step of the stairs as I waited for his answer, swinging my left foot over the edge.

He glances up from the TV for one quick look before returning his gaze to the screen. (Soccer season. I didn't expect him to have a long conversation). "What, the one that you used until you got something new and more high tech?"

"Appa," I groaned. I was looking for a stereo, not a lecture.

"Ne, Ne, it's somewhere in the basement," he finally replies, waving his hand with his eyes still on the (mighty fine) soccer players. I shout out a thanks, dashing back up the stairs to grab a sweater before running back down, headed for the basement. "Why do you need it?" My dad suddenly asks, making me whip my head around.

I gulp. Why did I need it? Oh, you know, I got this mixtape in my locker and I don't know who gave it or what it is but I want to listen to it. Oh, and because I don't want to do my homework, I might as well add. Right, because that sounded really reassuring. My father would probably call the cops right away, insisting that I was in danger, possibly being stalked. "Uh..."

Luckily at the same time, someone scores a goal in the game and my father lets a string of curse words slip from his mouth, my mom shouting for him to quiet down not long after. Taking the chance, I slipped down into the basement so I wouldn't get questioned anymore. I probably didn't know the answers myself.

The basement is chilly, as guessed, and dark. I slowly creep down the stairs, cringing at every creek it made. I flick on the lights when I reached the bottom of the steps, the light bulb flickering a few timed before finally turning on. The basement lit up, boxes and large bags lined the walls, holding old and unwanted things. (Except for that box of Coke over there. I'm sure that is neither old or unwanted. In fact, it was very much wanted). I scan the basement, trying to find the stereo when, ha! There, on the old rickety desk I had as a preschooler, had a large, bulky stereo.

I make my way over, pulling out the plastic chair and plopped myself down, staring at my view, grimacing. Why did we still keep this desk? It wasn't like I still used it or had any use for it. Whatever. If my parents wanted to keep junk, so be it. I turned my focus to the stereo, silver with red linings. There's a headset attached which I put on as I try to figure out the buttons. Open. Where was that open button for the mixtapes...? Finally finding the button somewhere on the side, the mixtape holder pops out, sending a small spark of dust flying at me.

Geez, when was the last time I used this? The last century? Coughing desperately, I waved the dust away before throwing the black mixtape in and shut the holder. I pause, hesitating to press play. What if this was a prank? What if, once I pressed play, loud heavy music played, momentarily deafening me? People at our school did pranks all the time. This could be one! Or what if it was someone threatening to kill me? I frown, no, that probably wasn't the case. I was pretty well liked at school - at least, I think so. I hope so. No one wants to be hated in high school. Despite my thoughts, I hit play anyways.

The mixtape whirrs to life, slowly beginning to play whatever it was on it. It's quiet for the first few seconds but then, a voice. A boy. "Ah, anyonghaseyo, Kyungmi!" My back straightens. That voice. It sounded...familiar? Not too familiar but familiar enough for me to know it. "Uh...how should I go about this?"

He, whoever he is, sounds nervous. But for what? At this point, I could cross off the heavy metal prank but the other possibilities still hung in the air. He clears his throat, then the sound of papers being ruffled in the back. "Um...well, for the past years, I've been crushing on you for a while and I - "

I hit pause. Wait a minute, was this a confession tape? Who would have a crush on me? It didn't seem totally unbelievable - I was fairly attractive (or I seem to think so, I mean, I wasn't ugly) and I got along well with others, being well known in my year. I got good marks and hardly ever got in trouble but…me? I was friends with everyone, emphasize on friends. I was more of the guys' girl than the school queenka. Slowly, I hit play again. " - think you're really pretty. And smart. And funny. I don't think you know me all that well but I don't mind. In fact, I plan on keeping that way. I'm shy so please forgive my awkward gesture. It seems a bit odd when I think about it for a while. I mean, you're so bold. I'm sure I'm not the only one who likes you in the school. In fact, I heard some guys talk about how nice you looked a few days ago." He pauses. "Anyways, um...aish, I don't know what to say!" He laughs awkwardly, growing quiet again. "I don't know why I'm recording this and giving it to you but, I felt like I wanted you to know. But you never know! I could second guess and grow embarrassed and throw it out the next morning…We haven't really talked but you amuse me. You make me happy. Is that weird?  Joo Kyungmi, I like you. Please accept my heart!" And then, it goes quiet. The tape is done playing.

I blink, making a face. Accept your heart? How could I do that if I didn't even know who he was? Dumb. What a stupid prank. But hey, at least it wasn't a threat. I tugged the headset off, growing irritated. Other girls might get excited but I, on the other hand, was annoyed. What a waste of my time. It was a weak prank too. A confession? How lame could my classmates get? I open the drawer to the desk and throw the mixtape in before heading back upstairs, leaving the mixtape with the other things that were unwanted.

--

"Real funny, Daeun." I say the next day once I see my friend stroll onto the school property. Daeun has been my friend since Year Five and ever since then, we stuck. We were similar in many ways - fans of Lee Minho, liked to eat black bean noodles (who didn’t) and we were both players on the football team (or soccer as Americans like to call it). One thing different - Daeun was known for being the queenka of the school. She was nice to everyone but most people were intimidated by her (sometimes I was too). I couldn't blame the school for voting her as queenka, though. She had long auburn hair that reached her hips and bright brown eyes that lighten up when she got passionate about something. She had a slim figure and long legs - I was surprised she wasn't looking into becoming a model. Don't tell her I said that though. She hates it when people say that just because she's pretty. In fact, she's going to go into business.

"What, your math mark? Yeah, it is pretty funny," she replied, smirking. I gave her a look and she giggled, walking beside me as we made our way to the school doors. Okay, yes, my math mark wasn't so hot but hey, I was improving (slowly but it's not like I wasn't improving at all, amirite).

However, Daeun was making it hard for this to work. "How could you?" I trying again, attempting to get her to fall for my trick. You see, if I managed to get her to flinch it would mean she knew something that I didn't. I was hoping she knew about the tape. "I thought we were friends?"

"How could I what?" Daeun responds, half heartedly, making a face. "Did you put extra sugar in your cereal this morning?"

"I ate a bagel, for your information." I sighed, knowing that Daeun probably had no clue what I was talking about. "Never mind. It's just that I got this mixtape in my locker yesterday after school when you left to go home and I don't know. It's pretty weird. I think it was a prank though." I glance over to her and shrug, adjusting my bag on my shoulders.

"Really? That's weird. Did you listen to it?" She asks, cocking her head to the side. I nodded and she bounces up and down, her brown locks following. "And what'd it say?"

I hesitate, thinking of the mixtape. Truth to be told, I had forgotten all about it till this morning. "I don't know, something among the lines of a confession, I guess you could say," I explained, studying my finger nails and picked at the pink nail polish that was starting to chip. "I don't remember. It's probably some lame prank though because it didn't sound very convincing."

She sqeauls, clapping her hands. "That's so cute! What if it isn't a prank though?" She exclaims. "What if someone really likes you?"

I give her a look. "Come on, we can't be too sure."

"We can't be sure it's a prank either then!" She argues as we push open the school doors, making our way inside. Some younger grades bowed at us while some seniors nodded at us, smiling kindly. It was a usually quiet school unless a dance or concert was thrown so yes, it did seem a bit odd that someone would prank me. Again, I was well liked being friends with the queenka. But still…it was hard to grasp.

"Come on, Daeun. You know that no one in this school would go for me. We're all friends here," I said as we made our way to the lockers.

She waves me off. "Well, why not? You're funny and pretty and everyone likes you. Where's your confidence?" She asks, punching my arm lightly.

I laughed. "I'm starting to think maybe you're my secret admirer," I joked and she rolls her eyes.

"Quit joking around! This is serious! It's a huge romantic gesture, Kyungmi. Don't tell me you're not a little moved." I groaned. This girl. Of course she'd find it romantic. I just found it confusing. Daeun was a hopeless romantic so it was often hard for guys to casually flirt with her. You'd have to try harder than a regular 'hey hot stuff, wanna go out?' to impress her. "Do you know who sent it?" She prods, trying her best to leak more information from me.

I shook my head, shrugging. "They mentioned my name and scribbled it on the front of the tape but no sign of another name besides mine," I recall, frowning. Why was it that there was no return address of some sort? I'm shy, I remember the mystery person saying. "Shy, maybe. Or maybe, like I said before, a prank." I wiggled my eyebrows at her and nudged her side, making her shove me off.

She groans. "I don't think this is a prank, Kyungmi. I think, someone in this vast school, actually has a crush on you!"

I gave her a look. "What do you know? You didn't even hear the tape," I pointed out and she slumps her shoulders. A couple of guys in the hall leaning against the lockers shout out hellos, boys I had no idea who they were, and we both nod curtly, returning the gesture before resuming our conversation. Being used to saying hello to strangers was another thing you learned from being friends with the most popular girl in school.

"Well, I could if you let me come over today," she suggests, giving me a expectant look. I sighed. Arguing with her really was something else.

"Arraso, arraso," I agreed just to get her off my back. "But what if it was meant for you instead?" I wondered. Hey, sure, why not? I mean, Daeun and I were always seen together - whoever left the mixtape could have easily mistaken me for Daeun. And she was the queenka so someone liking her was believable.

"You've got to have a better excuse than that. Boys are clueless, maybe, but not dumb."

I sighed, defeated. "Okay, say that I actually had a secret admirer. What would I do then?" I said as we climbed up the stairs to the next level. Our lockers were located on the second floor near our first class that was English, a class I was doing much better in compared to math. Math was dumb anyways. I mean, no one really likes it. Go home math, you have no use here except for telling me how much I need to pay for a chocolate bar.

"Figure out who put the tape in your locker," she says, rolling her eyes as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. Maybe it was. I don't know, I'm new to this whole secret admirer thing.

"And then…?" My voice trailed off as I raised my eyebrows, waiting for her to continue.

"And then, you make your pick whether to yes, accept his confession or no, turn him down! Yeesh, Kyungmi. Get with the program," she hits my head lightly and I grimace, dodging out of the way in case she decides to swing again.

To be honest, I wasn't sure what to do if I found out who the secret admirer was. I mean,  yeah, it'd be nice to know and obviously I'd have to accept or decline but…I think that would create an awkward atmosphere…? Wouldn't it? I mean, what if it's someone I barely know? How do I answer if I don't even know the person all that well? I guess I could say that right? I don't have to answer right away, do I?

"I'm excited now! I want to crack the case!" Daeun exclaims, clapping as we neared our lockers. "I feel like a detective. Detective for love!"

"Please stop," I said, looking at her warily. Some seniors looked at us strangely while passing by and I awkwardly turn the dial to my lock. Daeun and I were juniors in the school, year eleven so although we had most respect, seniors were still the rulers of the school.

She grins at me cheekily leaning against her own locker while I opened mine. "Aw, is little ol' Kyungmi shy too? Like her secret admirer?"

"Not so loud!" I hissed, nervous glancing around.

She laughs. "Anyways, where's the tape now?" She asks, cocking her head to the side, scanning me and peeking at my bag. She tugs on a pocket zipper, giving me a questioning glance and smirked. She was excited, I knew that. Being the queenka of school, she often got flowers and notes anonymously but nothing like this. She never got a mixtape before.

"Home," I replied blandly before opening my locker.

"Aw, boo, why?"

"Right, because why wouldn't I carry around a mixtape with some stranger saying they liked me?" I asked sarcastically, rolling my eyes. I went on my tippy toes to reach the top shelf to get my binders for the first class.

"Oh, come on. You say that as if it's a bad thing." She grabs me by my shoulders and gives me a shake. "We have to find out who this guy is! He could be my future best friend since he'll be dating my best friend!" I'm about to open my mouth and tell her that we still aren't sure if I'll feel the same way about the mystery guy but she suddenly peeks into my locker and frowns. "Liar, the mixtape isn't home," Daeun says, pouting.

"What are you talking about?" She gestures in my locker and I pull the locker door from her to see what she was talking about. "Yes, it is. I left it in the drawer of - you've got to be kidding me."

There, on the bottom of my locker, laid another black mixtape.

 

________________________________________

 

a/n: sorry the first chapter took so long! i just wanted it to be perfect (although it probably isnt but hey i tried). so yes, in this chapter you get to know kyungmi a little bit better and you also meet daeun, her close friend!! sorry for the super boring intro, i just wanted to give you a gist of kyungmi!! so yes, this will be my first fic on mr soonyoung so thank you for subbing! i really hope you enjoy this fanfic as much as i enjoy writing it!