New York (Part 1)

Rule Breaker
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Heyong stared straight ahead as she thought of her brother's offer. To go or not to go... To go or not to go... To go-

Heyong's hand recoiled as a small hiss escaped from her throat. While she was filling a cup with hot coffee, she had accidentally let it overflow, burning her hand in the process. She brought it up to her chest and gently cradled it as tears stung her eyes.

"Hey, be careful!" The manager came over and examined her hand. "Go run it under some cold water, and take the rest of the day off kid. You've been out of it the whole day. Something on your mind?"

She gently smiled up at him and shook her head. "Sorry. I should've been more careful. And thank you. I'll be sure to be on my best game tomorrow." 

The manager let out a small chuckle and shooed her away. "I'll see you then."

----

Heyong carefully wrapped her swollen hand in bandages and held it out to examine her work. *A little sloppy but this will have to do.* She put away the first aid kit and walked out into the living room. She plopped down onto the sofa and let out a long sigh. Almost as soon as she touched the couch, she bolted back up. She grabbed a random cardigan lying around, made sure she had her keys and phone, and headed out.

A walk would help clear her head.

She wrapped the thin cardigan around her body as a breeze passed by. She carefully crossed the street and treaded toward the park. Much to her relief, it was empty. Obviously. Who would be out at the park at this time of the day?

She slowed her pace and took in deep breaths of the cool night air. Her feet led her to a small lake located in the center of the park, and she sat down near the edge. She drew her knees to her chest and rested her chin on top.

New York. 

Korea.

New York.

Korea.

Those were the two words floating around in her head. To stay, or to leave? To start a new life

Please log in to read the full chapter