The Transfer Student

500 Days of EXO

I woke up at 8:34am. "Crap," I thought. "I'm late for school."

I wasn't usually like this. You see, my body has some kind of biological clock that wakes me up at 3am or earlier. I must have stayed up pretty late last night.

I stayed up to video chat my parents. It was nice seeing their faces again. And it wasn't like the pictures they posted that showed me brief glimpses of their life. They were actually moving, breathing (albeit too loudly), talking to me.

That simple fact made me happy.

You see, I live alone. My uncle and aunt tend to visit, although announced. It gets lonely here sometimes.

The apartment wasn't cramped or anything. It was actually the wide, empty space that made me feel so anxious.

My uncle offered to give me a puppy. Just so I could have a companion. Though I suspect he was testing my responsibility. Don't get me wrong. He's a good guy. He owns a whole litter of puppies. Him and his wife like to think of them as their children. And yes, I don't have any cousins (aside from these little monsters). My favorite one is Jong-puppy. He was always on the sidelines, unlike the other dogs who were very playful.

I took a quick shower and realized that I hadn't laid out my clothes yet. It was a bit frosty when I got out of the shower, and made a quick dash to the room I assigned as my walk-in closet. And no, I'm not that rich. The room was small compared to the rest of the apartment. Since I don't live with anyone, and it didn't make much living space to begin with, I made it my personal wardrobe.

For some reason, I ran out of uniforms. That was odd since I did laundry last week.

I chose to wear this somewhat cool blazer and some slacks. I looked awful. But for the most part, everyone at school did too.

I prayed that my teacher doesn't kick me out of class.

I made a mad dash to school and was surprised that there weren't that many cars on the road. My apartment was only 2 blocks away and I made it in record time (40 seconds if you were wondering).

The flag was up and I entered the building. The guard greeted me, but gave me a rude look.

I ran all the way to my classroom and I could hear the guard scolding me as I ran.

There, the door was closed. I gulped. Usually, it would be open, even to those who were thirty minutes late. But I was over an hour late.

Though I'm an honor student, I wasn't concerned about attendance. I was afraid that I might miss the lesson.

You see, we were discussing my favorite book, "Where the Red Fern Grows." I just wanted to share my insight before some showoff in the classroom spoils it for everyone else.

I opened the door to find our teacher and another student. He wasn't my classmate.

"Sir Oh-hyuk," I began. "Sorry I'm not in my uniform. I could've sworn I did laundry. By the way, is everyone in third period already? It's only 9:04."

My teacher gave out a chuckle. He turned to the other student who, in turn, also let out a small laugh.

"Mr. Sehun," he explained in a rather sarcastic tone. "It's Saturday."

I felt myself turn red and tried pointlessly to hide my embarrassment.

"But I'm glad you showed up. You can give Mr. Luhan here," he gestured to the other student, "a tour of the school."

I let out a loud groan and then smiled.

"Thanks. I'll talk to the guard. Now I can go to the gym!"

Then he left the two of us in the classroom.

"So...," I began awkwardly. "Luhan, was it?"