S I X

Fallen

An hour after school Suji and I slid into a Mexican restaurant. A waitress approached us and laid menus on the table. I frowned at the logo on the front cover. Mexicali. I hadn't eaten here before, yet something about the name sounded familiar.

"Four slices of quesadilla, and a side of nachos," Suji told the waiter without looking at the menu.

"One red burrito," I said.

"Separate bills?" he asked.

"I'm not paying for her," Suji and I said at the same time.

After our waiter left, I said, "Four quesadillas? Whatever happened to the diet plan, huh?"

"Don't even start. I'm starving. Haven't eaten since lunch." She paused. "Oh I forgot to order my milkshake. Be right back," she said, sliding out of the chair.

While waiting for her, I found myself staring at the waiter some tables away. There was something strangely familiar about the way he moved. Almost as if he felt he was being watched, he turned, his eyes fixing on mine at the exact same moment I figured out what was so familiar about him.

Taemin.

I couldn't believe it. I mentally slapped my forehead when I remembered he'd told me he worked at Mexicali.

He walked over, apparently enjoying my discomfort as I looked around for some way to escape, finding I had nowhere to go.

"Well, well," he said. "Five days a week isn't enough of me? Had to see me on the evening too?" He slid into Suji's seat.

"All the seats here are taken," I said. "Shouldn't you be working instead of hanging out with the customers?"

He smiled. "What are you doing Sunday night?"

I snorted. "Are you asking me out?"

"You're getting cocky. I like that, Angel."

"I don't care what you like. I'm not going out with you. Period." I paused. "Wait a minute, did you just call me Angel?"

"What if I did?"

"I don't like it."

He grinned. "It stays. Angel."

He leaned across the table, raised his hand to my face, and brushed his thumb along the corner of my mouth. I pulled away too late. He rubbed the lip gloss stain between his fingers. "You look better without it."

I blinked a couple of times, taking in what he had just done. I tried to appear impassive by his touch. "Anyway, I'm not allowed to go out on school nights."

"Too bad. There's a beach party. I thought we could go." He actually sounded sincere.

I forced a yawn. "Well, like I said, it's a school night. And besides, if this party is something you'd be interested in, I guarantee I won't be." And then, without any warning, I said, "Why are you asking me anyway?"

"I want to have you alone," Taemin said. Just like that, my defenses shot back up.

"Listen, Taemin, I don't want to be rude but—"

"Yeah you do."

"Well, you started it!" Lovely. Very mature. "I can't go to the party. End of story."

"Because you can't go out on a school night, or because you're scared of being alone with me?"

"Both." The confession just slipped out.

"Are you scared of all guys...or just me?"

I rolled my eyes as if to say 'I am not answering such a silly question.'

"I make you uneasy?" His mouth hiding a cautious smile.

Yes, actually, he had that effect on me. He also had the tendency to wipe all thoughts from my mind so he is the only one who will remain.

"I'm sorry," I said. "What were we talking about?"

"You."

"Me?"

"Your personal life."

I laughed, not sure what other response to give. "If this is about me...and the opposite , Suji already gave me a speech. I don't need another one."

"And what did the smart Suji say?"

I was playing with my hands, and slid them out of sight. "I don't know why you're so interested."

He shook his head softly. "Interested? We're talking about you here. I'm fascinated." He smiled, and it was a charming smile.

I cleared my throat. "I think you should get back to work," I said.

He studied me in a way that made me feel transparent. "You're not cautious, Jinri. Not shy either. You just need a good reason to go out of your way to get to know someone."

"I don't want to talk about me anymore."

"You think you've got everyone all figured out."

"Not true," I said. "For example, well, I don't know much about...you."

"You aren't ready to know me."

There was nothing casual about the way he said it. In fact, his expression was sharp.

"I looked in your student file."

Taemin's eyes stared at mine. "I'm pretty sure that's illegal," he said calmly.

"Your file was empty. Nothing."

He didn't even pretend to look surprised. He eased back in his seat, eyes flashing. "And you're telling me this because...?"

"I'm telling you this because I want you to know that I know something about you isn't right. You haven't fooled everybody. I'm going to find out what you're up to. I'm going to expose you."

"Looking forward to it."

I flushed, catching the hint too late. Over the top of Taemin's head, I could see Suji making her way through the tables. I said, "Suji's coming. You have to go."

Instead of scrambling off his seat, he stayed put, eyeing me.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" I challenged.

He tipped forward, preparing to stand. "Because you're nothing like what I expected."

"Neither are you," I countered. "You're worse."


Jesus, I totally forgot about this story.

My cousin just asked me how the fic was going and that's when I remembered

I still have to update. Anyway, I noticed you guys aren't fond of commenting huh?

Well that . The last chapter only had about three comments. But it's cool, it's all good.