T H R E E

Fallen

Coach Park stood at the board, talking on and on about something, but my mind was far away. I was busy thinking of reasons why Taemin and I should no longer be partners, making a list of them on a scratch. As soon as class was over, I would present my arguments to Coach. Uncooperative on assignments, I wrote. Shows a little interest in teamwork. But it was the things that were not listed bothered me the most. I found the location of Taemin's birthmark creepy, and I was freaked out by the incident at my window last night. I didn't utterly suspect Taemin of spying on me, but I couldn't ignore the coincidence that I'd seen someone looking in my window just hours after I'd met him.

At the thought of Taemin spying on me, I reached inside my backpack and shook two iron pills from a bottle, swallowing them whole.

Out of the corner of my eye, I caught Taemin raising his eyebrows. I considered explaining that I was anemic and had to take iron a few times a day, especially when I was under stress, but I thought better. Anemia wasn't that serious...as long as I took regular doses of iron. I wasn't paranoid to the point that I thought Taemin meant me harm, but my medical condition was a weakness better kept secret.

"Jinri?"

Coach stood at the front of the room, his hand extended in a gesture that showed he was waiting for something—my answer. A burn made its way up my cheeks.

"Could you repeat the question?" I asked.

The class giggled.

Coach said, with slight irritation, "What qualities are you attracted to in a potential mate."

"Potential mate?"

"Come on, we haven't got all afternoon."

I could hear Suji laughing behind me. My throat seemed to constrict. "You want me to list characteristics of a...?"

"Potential mate, yes, that would be great."

Without intending to, I looked sideways at Taemin. He was fixed back in his seat, studying me with satisfaction. He flashed his smile and mouthed, We're waiting.

I composed myself. "I've never thought about it before."

"Well, think fast."

"Could you call on someone else first?"

Coach gestured to my left. "You're up, Taemin."

Unlike me, Taemin spoke with confidence. He had himself positioned so his body was slightly facing mine, our knees were inches apart.

"Intelligent. Attractive. Vulnerable."

Coach was busy writing the adjectives on the board. "Vulnerable?" he asked. "How so?"

Suji spoke up. "Does this have anything to do with the lesson we're studying?"

Coach stopped writing and looked over his shoulder. "Thank you for interrupting, Miss Bae. Why don't you give us your list?"

Suji held up five fingers. "Gorgeous, rich, compassionate, protective, and a little bit dangerous." A finger went down with each description.

Taemin laughed under his breath. "The problem with human attraction is not knowing if it will be returned."

"Excellent point," Coach said.

"Humans are vulnerable," Taemin continued, "because they're capable of being hurt." Taemin's knee bumped mine. I moved away, not letting myself wonder what he meant by that gesture.

Suji rolled her eyes. "So when are we getting close to today's topic? ."

"Almost," Coach said, holding up a finger. "Before comes attraction, but after attraction comes body language. You have to say 'I'm interested' to a potential mate, but not in so many words."

Coach pointed beside me. "Alright, Taemin. Let's say you're at a party. The room is full of girls of different shapes and sizes. You've found one girl that fit your descriptions—attractive, intelligent, and vulnerable. How do you let her know you're interested?"

"Talk to her."

"Good. Now for the real question—how do you know if she's game or if she wants you to leave?"

"I study her," Taemin said. "I figure out what she's thinking and feeling. She's not going to tell me frankly that she doesn't like me, which is why I have to pay attention. Does she turn her body toward mine? Does she look at me straight in the eyes, then look away? Does she bite her lip and play with her hair, the way Jinri is doing right now?"

Laughter rose in the room. I dropped my hands to my lap.

"She's game," said Taemin, bumping my leg again. Of all things, I blushed.

"The blood in Jinri's face are widening and her skin is warming," he continued.

"I am not blushing." I placed my hands flat against the table, held my chin high, and tried to look as if I still possessed some dignity.

Taemin stretched his arm out to his side and hung it on the back of my chair. He held my eyes with his and I almost believed that he'd made a small, private world for us that no one else could reach.

Vulnerable, he mouthed.

I pulled my chair and jerked forward, dropping his arm off the back of the seat. I was not vulnerable.

"And there you have it!" Coach said. "Biology in motion."

"Can we please talk about now?" asked Suji.

"Tomorrow. Read chapter four and be ready for a discussion."

The bell rang, and Taemin stood up from his chair. "That was fun. Let's do it again sometime." Before I could even think of a reply, he disappeared out the door.

"What was up with class today?" Suji said, coming to my table.

"I need to talk to Coach. I'll meet you at your locker in ten minutes."

"Sure."

I made my way to Coach's desk. "Hi, Jinri," he said without looking up. "What can I do for you?"

"I'm here to tell you the new seating chart and lesson plan is making me uncomfortable."

Coach kicked back in his seat and folded hi arms. "I like the seating chart."

"How about a deal?" When Coach didn't cut me off, I blew a confident breath. "I will tutor any student from any of your biology classes, if you will seat me beside Suji again."

"Taemin could use a tutor."

I resisted gritting my teeth. "That defeats the point."

"Did you see him today? He was participating in the discussion. I haven't heard him say one word the whole year, but I put him next to you and—voila! His grade is going to improve."

"And Suji's is going to drop. I need to tutor her."

"No can do." Glancing at his watch, he said, "I'm late for a meeting. Are we done here?"

I searched my brain for one more argument, but it ran out of inspiration.

"Let's give the seating chart a few more weeks. Oh and I was serious about tutoring Taemin." Coach didn't wait for my answer, and ducked out of the door.


Just so you all know, Coach Park is actually Leeteuk.

Thought I should tell you so you can imagine him there

and not just any other dude. That would be all.