F I V E

Fallen

I drove past my apartment's building. I speed-dialed Suji.

"Something happened—I—he—it—out of nowhere—the car—"

"You're breaking up. What?"

I wiped my sweat with the back of my hand. I was trembling uncontrollably. "He came out of nowhere."

"Who?"

"He—" I tried to organize my thoughts and make them into words. "He jumped in front of the car!"

"Oh, no. You hit an animal? Are you okay? What about the dog, or cat, or whatever it was?" She half moaned, half groaned. "My car?"

I opened my mouth, but Suji cut me off.

"Forget it. I've got insurance. Just tell me there aren't any animal parts all over my car... No animal parts, right?"

An animal. Maybe I could pass the whole thing off as hitting an animal. I wanted to tell Suji but I didn't want to sound crazy. How was I going to explain the guy I hit rise to his feet and start tearing off the car door? Was I actually considering denying it had happened? I knew what I'd seen. It was not my imagination.

"Holy crap," Suji said. "You're not answering."

"Can I sleep at your place?" I wanted to get off the streets. Out of the dark. With a sudden intake of air, I realized to get to Suji's, I'd have to drive back through the intersection where I'd hit him.

"I'm in my room," said Suji. "Let yourself in. See you in a few."

With my hands tight on the steering wheel, I drove the car through the rain, praying the light at the intersection would be green in my favor. It was, and I pushed it through, keeping my eyes straight ahead, but at the same time, stealing glimpses into the side of the road. There was no sign of the guy in a mask.

Ten minutes later I parked in Suji's driveway. I ran to the front door, secured myself inside, and hurried to Suji's room.

Suji was sitting on her bed, earphones plugged in, iPod turned up all the way. "Do I want to see the damage tonight, or should I wait until I've had hours of sleep?" she called over the music.

"Maybe option number two."

Suji pulled out the earphones. "Let's get it over with."

When we got outside, I stared at the car for a long moment. Goose bumps crippling over my arms. No smashed driver's-side window. No bend nor scratch in the door.

"Something's not right," I said. But Suji wasn't listening. She was busy inspecting every inch of her car. I stepped forward and poked the driver's-side window. Solid glass. I walked around the back of the car. I'd completed almost a full circle when I saw something. A crack cut across the windshield. Suji saw it at the same time.

My mind flashed back to the deadly eyes behind the mask. They were so black. Black like...Taemin's.

"Look at me, I'm crying tears of joy," Suji said. "A tiny crack. That's it!" A huge grin plastered on her face.

I managed a smile, but I felt sick. Five minutes ago the window was broken and the door was bent. Looking at the car now, it seemed impossible. But I saw his fist punch through the glass and I felt his hands clutching onto my shoulder.

Hadn't I?

The harder I tried to recall the crash, the more I couldn't. The details were fading. I couldn't remember much anymore. That was the most frightening part.

 

Suji and I left her house at seven the next morning and drove to The Bistro to grab a breakfast. I'd showered, pulled on a camisole top, skinny jeans and a cardigan from Suji's closet, and put on some make up.

"Don't look now," Suji said. "But someone's checking you out. He keeps looking this way, estimating your long legs through your jeans... Oh! He just saluted me. I'm not kidding."

I wasn't listening. Last night's accident had replayed in my head. My thoughts are tangled and I couldn't concentrate. Lifting my eyes to get a look at him without appearing that I was, I took in his handsome face. Redish brown hair, black eyes. I said, "You're imagining things."

"Okay, what's wrong?" Suji asked. "This isn't about the crack in my windshield, is it? So what if you hit an animal? It could happen to anyone."

I was going to tell Suji the truth about what happened. Soon, I just needed a little time to sort out the details. The problem was, I didn't see how I could. The only details left were stained. It was as if an eraser had scrubbed my memory blank. I remembered the heavy rain pouring down the car 's windows causing everything outside to blur. Had I actually hit an animal?

"Ooh check it out," said Suji. "Mr. Hottie is getting up from his seat. He is definitely making his way toward us."

A beat after we were greeted with a low, pleasant "Hey."

Suji and I looked up at the same time. He stood just back from our table, his thumbs hooked in the pockets of his jeans.

"Hi," Suji said. "I'm Suji. And this is Choi Jinri."

I frowned at Suji. I didn't like her mentioning my last name. I gave a half-hearted wave and brought my cup to my lips.

He dragged a chair from the next table and sat with us. Holding a hand out to me, he said, "I'm Byun Baekhyun." Feeling way too formal, I shook it. "And this is Suho," he added, nodding his chin toward his friend.

Suho also grabbed a chair and sat beside Suji, slumping in his seat and crossing his arms.

Baekhyun cleared his throat. "Can I get you ladies something to eat?"

"I'm fine," I said, raising my cup. "I already ordered."

Suji kicked me under the table. "She'll have a slice of banoffee pie. Make that two."

"So much for the diet, huh?" I teased Suji.

"For your information, banoffee pie has bananas, and bananas are good for you."

"You forgot mentioning the graham crust, toffee, whipped cream, and chocolate being healthy." When she didn't answer, I laughed.

Suho closed his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose. Apparently he was as thrilled to be sitting with us as I was to have them here.

As Baekhyun walked to the counter, my eyes trailed after him. He was definitely in high school, but I hadn't seen him at Hanlim High before. I would remember.

"Do you live around here?" Suji asked Suho.

He just hummed.

"Go to school?"

"Whimoon High." There was a sign of superiority in the way he said it.

"That elite school? Wow. Just wow." Suji dipped a finger in the cream of her milkshake and it off. "Is it expensive?"

Suho looked at her directly for the first time.

"Are you rich? I bet you are," she said.

Suho eyed Suji with a hint of disgust. He slid his chair back several inches, distancing himself from us.

Baekhyun returned with a huge tray on his hands. "Two banoffee pie for the ladies," he said, pushing the plates toward us, "and four honey glazed doughnuts for me. Guess I'd better fill up now, since I don't know what the cafeteria is like at Hanlim High."

Suji nearly choked on her milkshake. "You go to HHS?"

"As of today. I just transferred from Whimoon."

"Jinri and I go to HHS," Suji said. "Anything you need to know, just ask."

I decided it was time to leave now. Suho was obviously bored and irritated. I looked at the time on my phone and said, "We better get to school, Suji. We have a bio test to study for. Baekhyun and Suho, it was nice meeting you."

"Our bio test is on Friday," said Suji.

I smiled through my teeth. "Right. I meant to say I have an English test. It's about the...Canterbury Tales." Everyone knew I was lying.

My rudeness bothered me slightly, especially since Baekhyun hadn't done anything to deserve it. But I didn't want to sit here any longer.

"I hope you have a really great first day, and maybe we'll see you at lunch," I told Baekhyun. Then I dragged Suji up by her elbow and steered her out the door.

 

School was almost over, only biology left, and after a quick stop by my locker to get books, I headed to class. Suji and I arrived before Taemin; she slid into his empty seat and dug through her backpack, pulling out a pack of chocolate chip cookies.

"Want some?" she said, offering me the pack.

"No, thanks."

"But you didn't eat lunch," Suji said, frowning.

"I'm not hungry."

"Liar. You're always hungry. Is this about Taemin? You're not worried he's really stalking you, are you? Because last night, that whole thing at the library, I was joking."

I massaged my temples. The dull ache flared at the mention of his name. "Taemin is the least of my worries," I said. It wasn't exactly true.

"My seat, if you don't mind."

Suji and I looked up at the same time upon hearing Taemin's voice.

He sounded pleasant enough, but he kept his eyes on Suji as she rose and slung her backpack over her shoulder. He gestured his arm toward the aisle, inviting her out of his way.

"Looking good as always," he said to me, taking his chair.

"Thank you," I answered without thinking. I wanted to take it back immediately. Thank you? Of all things I could've said, "thank you" was the worst. I didn't want Taemin thinking I liked his compliments. Because I didn't...mostly. It didn't take much thinking to realize he was trouble, and I had enough trouble in my life already. Maybe if I ignored him, he'd eventually stop starting conversation. And then we could sit side by side in silence.

"You smell good too," said Taemin.

"It's called a shower." I was staring straight ahead. When he didn't answer, I turned sideways. "Soap. Shampoo. Hot water."

". I know the drill."

I opened my mouth to change the subject when the bell cut me off.

"Put your textbooks away," Coach said from behind his desk. "I'm giving out a practice quiz to get you warmed up for this Friday's real one." He stopped in front of me, distributing the the papers. "I want silence while you answer the questions. Good luck."

I answered the first several questions. Pausing to shake a cramp out of my writing hand, I felt Taemin lean toward me.

"You look tired. Rough night?" he whispered.

"I saw you at the library."

"The highlight of my night."

"Were you following me?"

He tipped his head back and laughed softly.

I tried again. "What were you doing there?"

"Getting a book."

I felt Coach's eyes on me and dedicated myself to the quiz. After answering a few more questions, I stole a glimpse to my left. I was surprised to see Taemin already watching me. He grinned.

My heart flipped unexpectedly, startled by his attractive smile. I was so taken aback, I dropped my pencil on the floor. Taemin bent to pick it up. He held it out on the palm of his hand, and I had to try my best not to touch his skin as I took it back.

"After the library," I whispered, "where did you go?"

"Why?"

"Did you follow me?"

"You look a little disturbed, Jinri. What happened?" His eyebrows lifted in concern. But there was a taunting spark at the center of his black eyes.

"Are you following me?"

"Why would I want to follow you?"

"Answer the question."

"Jinri." The warning in Coach's voice pulled me back to my quiz, but I couldn't help speculating about what Taemin's answer might have been.

Coach blew his whistle. "Time's up. Pass your papers forward. Expect similar questions on Friday. Now," he rubbed his hands together, "for today's topic. Miss Bae, want to do the honor?"

"," Suji announced.

Precisely after she did, I tuned out. Was Taemin following me? Was he the one behind the mask? What could he possibly want? I wanted my life to go back to the way it was before Taemin barged into it.

At the end of the class, I stopped Taemin from leaving. "Can we talk?"

He was already standing, so he took a seat on the edge of the table. "What's up?"

"I know you don't want to sit next to me any more than I want to sit next to you. I think Coach might consider changing our seats if you talk to him. If you explain the situation—"

"The situation?"

"We're not...compatible."

He rubbed a finger over his chin. "We're not?"

"I'm not announcing groundbreaking news here."

"When Coach asked for my list of desired characteristics in a mate, I gave him you."

"Take that back."

"Intelligent. Attractive. Vulnerable. You disagree?"

He was doing this to provoke me, and that only flustered me more. "Will you ask Coach to change our seats or not?"

"Pass. I've grown to like you."

What was I supposed to say to that? He was obviously aiming to get a reaction out of me. "I thin you'd be so much better seated with someone else. And I think you know it." I smiled, tense but polite.

"I think I could end up sitting next to Suji." His smile appeared just as polite. "I'm not going to push my luck."

Suji appeared beside our table, glancing between me and Taemin. "Interrupting something?"

"No," I said, zipping my backpack shut. "I was asking Taemin about tonight's homework. I couldn't remember which pages Coach assigned."

Suji said, "The assignment's on the board, same as always."

Taemin laughed, seemingly sharing a private joke with himself. I wished I knew what he was thinking. "Anything else, Jinri?" he said.

"No," I said. "See you tomorrow."

"Can't wait." He winked. Actually winked.

After Taemin left, Suji gripped my arm, making me turn to face her. "Good news. Lee. That's his last name. I saw it on Coach's list."

"And that's something to be happy about because...?"

"Everyone knows students must register medicines to the nurse's office." She tapped her finger at the pocket of my backpack where I kept my iron pills. "And everyone knows the nurse's office is located inside the school office, where, as it happens, student files are also kept."

I didn't like where this was going.

"Suji's eyes glowed. She hooked her arm in mine and pulled me toward the door. "Time to be spies."


Just in case you don't understand the last part,

Suji stated that Jinri's iron pills must be registered to the nurse's office

for medical reasons, and the nurse's office is located in the school office.

This way, they can sneak in and find Taemin's student record to spy on him.