Episode 3

Ocean of Flowers

 

~~~~~~~ Episode 3 ~~~~~~~~~

 

(Episode 3 starts off with Guang Ming following Student 1 into the principal’s office. As they enter the room the principal is standing with a man wearing pure silk and a funny looking hat.)

 

Principal Yang: Ah! Student Guang Ming, you’re finally here! (Principal Yang walks around to Guang Ming as the man in silk also turns around to face them.) Student Guang, this is Official Ya from Chang An. He’s here to look for you.

 

Guang Ming: (Guang Ming bows to him for respect.) Hello Official Ya.

 

Official Ya: Hello. (to Principal Yang) Principal Yang, is there a place where I can talk to Ming Er alone?

 

Principal Yang: Oh! Of course, of course! You guys can discuss here in my office. I’ll just take a leave. (Principal Yang pats Guang Ming on the back and begins to leave.) Please take your time Official Ya, please take your time.

 

(Principal Yang leaves the room and shuts the door behind him. Official Ya and Guang Ming are silent for a while, then Official Ya takes a seat and looks at Guang Ming. He waves his hand motioning towards the chair across from him meaning for Guang Ming to also take a seat.)

 

Official Ya: Sit.

 

(Guang Ming slowly takes a seat. Still, there is silence. Then Official Ya begins to laugh.)

 

Official Ya: Student Guang Ming, from the looks of it, you’re nervous!

 

Guang Ming: (softly laughs) Of course I’m nervous! You have such a high title in the imperial court.

 

Official Ya: (he laughs again) Relax, I’m not like the other corrupted officials. I’m a righteous Official who fights for justice.

 

Guang Ming: (smiles) Every official claims they’re righteous, but… (Sarcastically) Official Ya must be the most righteous.

 

Official Ya: (smiles) Well said, indeed well said. (Guang Ming laughs softly) I was not wrong about you.

 

Guang Ming: Not wrong about me? What is that meaning?

 

Official Ya: Citizens of Chang An who usually drop by Zhi Guang are constantly talking about a student named Guang Ming. They say that he’s the most skilled and the most handsome and also the outspoken one here. Seems like all their words were true.

 

Guang Ming: (smiles) It’s all exaggerations; I don’t qualify for such a title.

 

Official Ya: Ming Er, do you know why I came here for?

 

Guang Ming: Official Ya travels the world for many reasons; I don’t know.

 

Official Ya: I came to look for you. Just recently in Chang An, the Martial Scholar passed away while on a mission. He was by the cliffs and there was a heavy rock slide which caused his death. I came here, to ask you to replace his position as the new Martial Scholar.

 

Guang Ming: That’s quite a noble position for a commoner like me. Taking this title is too much of an honor for me.

 

Official Ya: Why is that?

 

Guang Ming: (takes a deep breath.) Scholars are usually picked according to social class; Official Ya thinks too highly of me.

 

Official Ya: Unfair… How is this unfair?

 

Guang Ming: I think that every student here at Zhi Guang is capable of becoming the Martial Scholar. We’re trained to be able to balance Yin and Yang within ourselves and also learn how to keep a calm mind while in combat. Wouldn’t you also say that everyone has an equal chance at rate?

 

Official Ya: (nods impressively) Once again, very well said! Then Student Ming Er, what you say should happen instead?

 

Guang Ming: (laughs nervously) Official Ya, getting my opinion on this one may not be the best choice you’ll ever make.

 

Official Ya: No way. Please speak, I want to hear what you would do at this point.

 

Guang Ming: If it was my decision, I would hold a competition throughout the school. That way no one will be disappointed when a winner is chosen and everyone has a fair and equal chance. But once again, I’m only a student; taking my suggestion may be a poor choice.

 

Official Ya: (nods again impressively) Good! I agree with you; it makes perfect sense! (in a more serious voice.) Ming Er ah, you have a brilliant and fair mind, are you really going to pass up this opportunity?

 

Guang Ming: Official Ya, to be honest, I have no interest in political affairs of the imperial court. Even if the Jade Emperor came down from above to offer me a position, I would still reject.

 

Official Ya: Then what can I give you for a trade?

 

Guang Ming: If there was something, it’ll be to reunite with my family.

 

Official Ya: Your family back at home, how are they like?

 

Guang Ming: My father is a righteous man who looks upon honor and respect. He disciplines my sister and me; often lecturing us about leading a good life. My mother is very fragile and nice; She’s very sympathetic and seems to never look down on anyone. My sister is quite bratty, but I can blame myself for that reason.

 

Official Ya: Your only desire is to go home?

 

Guang Ming: (sighs) Mm.

 

Official Ya: (nods in an understanding way.) Mm, a filial son who thinks of nothing but the day he returns home to be united with his family. What a rare treasure.

 

(Guang Ming smiles and Official Ya begins to talk again.)

 

Official Ya: Alright! Tell me more about Zhi Guang, how is it here?

 

(Guang Ming smiles again and as he begins speaking, the scene changes to another scene. Guang Ming is now back in his room with his friends. In Zhi Guang, the young boys live at the school so it’s kind of like dorms. Guang Ming is sitting on his bed, Ping He is sitting on the ground next to Guang Ming, Tie Lang is leaning on a table and facing Guang Ming, while Gao Lie is leaning on the door in the doorway.)

 

Tie Lang: And then what else did you say?

 

Guang Ming: I just told him the truth. I don’t want to have anything to do with politics and the imperial court.

 

Tie Lang: What?! You turned down the offer?!

 

Guang Ming: Yeah, I don’t want it anyways.

 

Tie Lang: Why not?! If you became the Martial Scholar then you could have raised us three to be your sidekicks!

 

Ping He: Tie Lang ah, If Ming Er said he doesn’t want it then he doesn’t want it. You shouldn’t force it on him.

 

Tie Lang: You Guan Ping He what do you know?!

 

Guang Ming: Okay, okay, okay! Don’t argue and be noisy here. I just rejected it so it’s rejected.

 

Gao Lie: Exactly. (Gao Lie walks over and sits next to Guang Ming) If Ming Er doesn’t want the position then none of us can say anything to change his mind. We all know clearly that Guang Ming Er is stubborn; once he makes his choice, no one can say anything to change it. Us as his good friends should support and praise him for whatever he chooses.

 

Ping He: Yeah! I agree with Gao Lie!

 

(Tie Lang sighs hopelessly.)

 

Gao Lie: (to Tie Lang) You have a problem?

 

Tie Lang: I just don’t quite understand it; why did you turn it down for?

 

Guang Ming: I already said why; because I don’t want to have any business with the imperial court, is anything more needed to be mentioned?

 

(there’s a silence, then Ping He speaks.)

 

Ping He: No matter what happens I, Guan Ping He, will always support Ming Er!

 

Gao Lie: (smiles) Me too.

 

Tie Lang: (he sighs and looks like he doesn’t want to say it.) We’re friends, without you three then Tian Tie Lang won’t be who he is today. Fine, I’ll follow suit.

 

(the four friends share a friendly laugh and then the scene once again changes. It is now back in Silent Moon Sect. In Mu Xun’s room, a servant enters with a flask of water, but out of nowhere a man’s body comes flying and lands at her feet. The man’s face is pale and you can tell that all his energy has been . The servant looks up at Mu Xun and she is sitting on her bed. Her beautiful black hair from the past has now turned white, but she still looks as young as ever.)

 

Mu Xun: (to the servant) Why are you in here? I thought I told everyone to stay out!

 

Servant 3: (She gets scared so she immediately gets on her knees.) First Teacher please don’t misunderstand. Second Teacher asked me to bring you water; she said that you’ve been inside your room for a long time and you need some hydration.

 

Mu Xun: Second Teacher… (smirks) She sent you here?

 

Servant 3: Yes.

 

Mu Xun: Go back to her and tell her to stop whatever she’s doing; I’ve already figured it out.

 

Servant 3: (she looks up at Mu Xun quickly, then walks out with the flask of water.)

 

Mu Xun: (laughs softly, but in an evil way) Mu Xiang ah Mu Xiang, I’m your older sister, not an idoit. Servants! Bring in another man!

 

(Now, we’re in Mu Xiang’s room. Servant 3 walks in and closes the door behind her. She then proceeds to Mu Xiang and kneels down when she sees her.)

 

Servant 3: Second Teacher, First Teacher is vital energy again.

 

Mu Xiang: Again?

 

Servant 3: Yes. She also told me to tell you to stop at whatever you’re doing; she already figured it out.

 

Mu Xiang: (she’s silent and in her own thinking process.) Where’s Xu Yi?

 

Servant 3: Mister Wu is out with his father.

 

Mu Xiang: go out to find them.

 

Servant 3: Yes.

 

(Servant 3 gets off her knees and begins to walk out.)

 

Mu Xiang: Once you find them, tell Xu Yi to report to me immediately.

 

Servant 3: Yes. (She continues out.)

 

(Mu Xiang stands very still and begins to think to herself about what her next step would be.)

 

(Back at Zhi Guang Martial School, all the students are lined up on their football field and the Principal is standing on a little stage and the teachers are also all standing on the stage.)

 

Principal Yang: Fellow students, now is the time for Zhi Guang to shine! The heavens has finally shed some light on us finally. Official Ya from Chang An has come to our school to find a Martial Scholar. (There are sounds of gasping from the students.) The previous Scholar died in a rock slide, and they have decided to find of our students as the new Scholar. Official Ya is courteous and righteous; he has decided to give everyone here a chance to be the Scholar. In the time of seven days, Official Ya along with others from the Imperial Court will be here to hold and witness the competition for the next Martial Scholar. You guys as disciples of Zhi Guang, will train your hardest and compete against your classmates, your roommates, your friends, and your brothers on that day. You all have seven days to train and improve your own skills. Depending on how you wish to spend your days, will determine the outcome of how far you’ll reach. Official Ya spent hours to think of the rewards for the winner and the final loser. The winner will proceed to the Capital and take an exam to be qualified as the New Martial Scholar. As for the one who loses to the winner, will be granted to return home and rest until next season. Understand?

 

Students of Zhi Guang: Understood!

 

Principal Yang: (he looks around at the teachers.) Teachers, do you guys have any words to say to the students?

 

Teacher Jin: I have something to say.

 

Principal Yang: Please speak.

 

Teacher Jin: (he takes a step forward.) Fellow students of Zhi Guang just because now everyone is going to compete for a position as high as the sky, please remember our policy here at school. Brotherhood; It doesn’t matter who wins and who loses, what matters is that we all grow, learn, and stick together until the end. The one that loses, we all help to improve, as the one who wins, we will all support and look up to! You all grew up together as brothers and friends, to turn your back on your fellow classmates are not acceptable at any cost! Does that make sense?!

 

Students of Zhi Guang: Yes!

 

Gao Lie: (sreams) Zhi Guang brothers! We unite as one!

 

(Everyone else begins to follow Gao Lie and they begin a chant with Gao Lie’s words.)

 

(Later on while in their room, Guang Ming and his three friends are getting ready to sleep. Guang Ming is sitting at a desk near a window writing a letter, Gao Lie is going over some poetry books and leaning on his bed frame, Ping He is laying chest down on his bed, and Tie Lang is laying on his back on his bed.)

 

Ping He: Ming Er ah, who are you writing to at this time? It’s late already.

 

Tie Lang: Who else would it be to? Of course it’s his sweetheart Yu Tan Tan.

 

Ping He: Ming Er, is it really to that girl?

 

Guang Ming: Say whatever you two wish to say. I can only tell you two that it’s not to any sort of girl. It’s a special and wonderful one.

 

Tie Lang: (he flips to lay on his belly and looks at Guang Ming with a big smile) Ey Ming Er ah, how many girls do you date at one time? It has to be a lot right?

 

Ping He: Tian Tie Lang! Don’t just accuse Ming Er of things he would never do! Ming Er is a good guy, he would never like multiple girls at one time like you.

 

Tie Lang: Hey, I just know to swing around alright?

 

Gao Lie: You two! Can’t you guys ever talk about anything else other than taunt each other indirectly?

 

Tie Lang: He started it…

 

Ping He: I was only defending Ming Er over there! He lets you bully him like it’s okay.

 

Tie Lang: Maybe it is okay with him. If it wasn’t he would have said something a long time ago!

 

Ping He: Gao Lie! See how he bad mouths Ming Er?!

 

Gao Lie: (laughs and shakes his head. Gao Lie takes a look over to Guang Ming who is focused on writing.) Guang Ming Er, what are you really doing over there so secretive for?

 

Tie Lang: Yeah! Why is it so secretive that you have to hide it from us?

 

Guang Ming: A secret is a secret. If I tell you guys, then how can I still consider it a secret?

 

Ping He: Then what are you doing exactly?

 

Guang Ming: Me? I’m writing a letter to someone that is special and wonderful.

 

(Guang Ming finishes writing it, blows on it so the ink will dry, then he puts in an envelope. He also writes where it’s going to on the envelope, then he takes it and walks out.)

 

(His three friends watch him walk out, and then they all look at each other with confused expressions.)

 

Tie Lang: (he gets off his bed and quickly runs over to sit on Gao Lie’s bed.) Shao Gao Lie, why do I have this feeling that Ming Er is behaving so weird lately?

 

Ping He: Yeah me too! I fell that Ming Er hasn’t been himself for a couple days.

 

Gao Lie: (laughs) You guys are just thinking too much. Ming Er is Ming Er; how can it be that he’s changed?

 

Tie Lang: I’m serious! I think he’s no longer the same Guang Ming we used to know.

 

Ping He: Could it be that he’s grown up now?

 

(Gao Lie furrows his eyebrows.)

 

Tie Lang: You dummy! Of course he’s grown up! I’m talking about just a couple days ago to now. He’s not the same anymore.

 

Ping He: then maybe this competition is putting a lot of stress and pressure on him.

 

Gao Lie: Perhaps it is. He refused the position the Official gave him. Anyone that has been to Zhi Guang knows that Guang Ming Er’s skills pass everyone’s skills by miles; he can almost defeat the teachers here. If he refuses, but they still intend to have a competition, then maybe the official is not giving him a choice.

 

Tie Lang: That damn corrupt official! Very well! How dare he bully Ming Er like this! When he shows up for the competition I, Tian Tie Lang, will definitely not let him leave without my punch marks on his face!

 

Ping He: Mm! Good idea!

 

Gao Lie: What?! You guys are going to hurt the official?!

 

Tie Lang: if not what else?!

 

Ping He: He can’t just hurt Ming Er like that!

 

Tie Lang: Guan Ping He, as brothers of Guang Ming we must protect and help him all the way!

 

Ping He: Hey Tie Lang! We should report this to Principal Yang! He definitely won’t let something like this happen!

 

Tie Lang: Oh yeah, come on!

 

(Those two gets up from the beds and make their war towards the door, but Gao Lie also gets up and blocks their way. Gao Lie pushes them back from the door.)

 

Gao Lie: You two pig brains! Don’t do anything stupid! If you guys tell Principal Yang then Ming Er is going to be interrogated!

 

Tie Lang: Shao Gao Lie you bastard! What do you want?! We’re only telling the principal for Ming Er’s well-being!

 

Gao Lie: No! None of this is true evidence! It’s all our assumptions; if this gets to the Principal and it’s false then all four of us will be punished for it!

 

Ping He: We’re not afraid of punishment! We’re doing a good favor for Ming Er! Move aside!

 

Gao Lie: NO!

 

(Gao Lie yells very loud and uses all his strength to push those two guys down on the ground. Then Gao Lie points his finger to them and says in a serious/angry voice.)

 

Gao Lie: You two aren’t allowed to go out of this door! If you do go out then we’ll all be punished! I’m not like you two, I don’t want to be punished for assumptions!

 

(Gao Lie walks over to his bed and digs in one side of the bed. He pulls out his sword and walks over to the door again. Gao Lie begins to wave the sword at the door like a madman just shouting gibberish. Ping He and Tie Lang stare at him also like he’s crazy.)

 

Ping He: (whispers to Tie Lang) What’s wrong with him?

 

Tie Lang: I don’t know… But I feel that he’s changed too…

 

(Ping He nods slowly as an agreement. After Gao Lie is done doing his gibberish, he turns back to look at the two that are still sitting on the ground.)

 

Gao Lie: Okay! I have set a spell on this door! If anyone walks out or walks in he will get electrocuted by lightning and will be cursed to spend the rest of his life on Mount Hua!

 

(Gao Lie throws his sword on the ground next to the two guys and then walks out.)

 

Ping He & Tie Lang: (scared tones) Hey!!!

 

Tie Lang: (turns to look at Ping He with a terrified, but confused look.) He just walked through the door… Nothing happened to him!

 

Ping He: Probably…. Probably it doesn’t affect him.

 

Tie Lang: Then doesn’t that mean that we’re closed in this small room forever?!

 

(Ping He and Tie Lang once again cry dramatically.)

 

(Back at Ping An Town, Hua Lei is also now all grown up; their town has also expanded to a bigger town that you can almost call a city. She is walking in the markets with her mom, when suddenly a post horse comes out of nowhere towards them.)

 

Post Horse: (to Hua Lei) Excuse me, do you know a Miss Jiang?

 

Hua Lei: Miss Jiang? Of course I do; It’s me! [OMG! Finally, Yang Mi is here]

 

Post Horse: You? (Post Horse quickly takes out a letter.) Miss Jiang Hua Lei?

 

Hua Lei: What is it?

 

Dai Zang: Young man, is there a problem?

 

Post Horse: No, no, no! Definitely no problem. (Post Hose hands the letter to Hua Lei.) A letter came in for you.

 

Hua Lei: for me? (she grabs the letter.) From who?

 

Post Horse: I’m not allowed to share information. I’ll be leaving then. Have a good day Miss and Mrs. Jiang. (Post Horse leaves.)

 

(Hua Lei opens the letter and reads to it herself. As she’s reading it, she begins to smile and she gets excited. After she’s done reading it, turns to her mother excitedly.)

 

Hua Lei: Mother, Ming Ge Ge asid that he’ll be coming home soon! They’ve finally let him off!

 

Dai Zang: Did he really say that?

 

Hua Lei: Mm! Have a look for yourself!

 

(Hua Lei hands the letter to her mother and she reads it through too. Dai Zang also smiles happily.)

 

Dai Zang: Let’s go tell your father! He’ll surely be happy to hear it!

 

(Hua Lei nods happily and they both hurriedly walks back home. When they arrive home, Hua Lei immediately begins to run around the house searching for her father. Their house isn’t all that big, it’s pretty small but they have a big yard.)

 

Hua Lei: Father! Father! (Hua Lei continues to run around, but when she can’t find him she returns back home. Her mother has already started to bake some Man Tou.)

 

Dai Zang: Did you find your father?

 

Hua Lei: (shakes her head in a no motion.) I wonder where he went.

 

Dai Zang: He’ll be back soon. He never goes out too far from here. Hua Lei, come help me while you’re waiting for your father.

 

(Hua Lei walks over to bowl and rinses her hands then begins to help her mom make Man Tou. As their rolling the dough, Tong Man walks in. Hua Lei looks over at Tong Man and smiles happily. She immediately begins running over to Tong Man.)

 

Hua Lei: Daddy! (Hua Lei hugs Tong Man even with powdery white hands.)

 

Tong Man: Ah! Hua Lei, you’re hands are all white!

 

Hua Lei: Daddy you’re finally back! I have good news to tell you!

 

(Tong Man looks over to Dai Zang and she sends him a smile. Hua Lei finally releases her hug and she looks at her dad in a very excited manner.)

 

Tong Man: What is it? I have never seen my daughter in a happier state before.

 

Hua Lei: Ming Ge Ge is coming home! He said that he found out a way to come back home!

 

Tong Man: Come back home? (Tong Man thinks for a bit then says sternly.) What does he mean come home?! He can’t come home!

 

Hua Lei: Why can’t he come home?! This is also his home; he should be able to come home whenever he feels like it!

 

Tong Man: It’s a rule of his school! No student can return home unless he’s finished 20 years of training; Ming Er has only completed 10 years!

 

Hua Lei: But he said that he has a way to come home and they’ll allow him to come home! If they allow him then it should be okay without completing 20 years!

 

Tong Man: When did Ming Er say that?! Did you sneak to their school again?!

 

Hua Lei: I…

 

(Dai Zang quickly runs in front of Hua Lei.)

 

Dai Zang: Tong Man, don’t scold our children like this. Hua Lei, you also don’t scold your father like this.

 

Tong Man: Dai Zang, do you hear how our daughter is behaving? She snuck into Zhi Guang again!

 

Dai Zang: No! She didn’t sneak! A post horse delivered us a letter today from Ming Er; he said that he was going to come home soon because the school has provided him the opportunity to.

 

Tong Man: A letter? Where is it? Let me see it.

 

Dai Zang: (she looks over her shoulder to Hua Lei.) Give it to your father.

 

Hua Lei: He doesn’t deserve to see it!

 

Dai Zang: Jiang Hua Lei!

 

(Hua Lei takes out the letter and hands it over to her father. Tong Man reads the letter through and hands the letter back to Dai Zang.)

 

Tong Man: It’s a good thing that he’s coming back home; we all miss him dearly.

 

(Tong Man walks off into his room. Dai Zang hands the letter back to Hua Lei.)

 

Dai Zang: You! Stop arguing with your father please. You two quarrel every day; even more than the old couple who lives next to us.

 

(Dai Zang goes back to do her baking.)

 

Dai Zang: Hua Lei, go grab some water from the river if you got nothing to do.

 

(Hua Lei folds the paper neatly and puts inside her shirt, then she grabs two pails by the door and walks out. When she’s getting water by the river, she thinks that she saw something run past here from the corner of her eyes. She quickly turns back to look around and there is nobody around. Then she begins having this feeling that someone is watching her.)

 

Hua Lei: (quietly to herself) Why do I have the feeling that someone is watching me…

 

(Hua Lei quickly fills her buckets and walks back home. When she was still getting water, someone was hiding in the brushes watching her.)

 

(At Silent Moon Sect, Mu Xun is once again ordering a mission from a good disciple named Bailizuo Cheng Yu [Ahh! Lin Geng Xin!]. Cheng Yu is kneeling on one knee at the bottom of the stairs in the Hall of Infinity. The scene is similar to the time when Tong Man was assigned his mission; Mu Xun is once again sitting in her chair and looking down at Cheng Yu.)

 

Mu Xun: (in a soft voice.) Come up here.

 

(Cheng Yu looks up at Mu Xun and follows orders. He walks up the steps and when he gets to the top, he gets down on one knee again.)

 

Cheng Yu: (with a cool attitude) First Teacher, you asked for me.

 

Mu Xun: Sit.

 

(Mu Xun brushes her hand over the seat next to her which is Mu Xiang’s seat. Cheng Yu looks at Mu Xun with confusion, then he sits down next to her.)

(A servant comes up and hands Mu Xun a flask of wine and two little cups. Mu Xun pours a cup for Cheng Yu and then one for herself. Cheng Yu looks at the wine offered to him, then slowly accepts it.)

 

Cheng Yu: What’s the meaning of this?

 

Mu Xun: What do you think?

 

Cheng Yu: As the saying goes, “One cup of wine for a friend.”

 

Mu Xun: Friends? What’s the point of being friends when you’re my disciple already?

 

Cheng Yu: (sounds like he’s taunting.) If it’s not this, then is it a drink for separation?

 

Mu Xun: (smirks) It’s also not that. (answers Cheng Yu like the answer to her original question was obvious.) It’s an agreement.

 

Cheng Yu: What agreement?

 

(Mu Xun drinks her cup of wine)

 

Mu Xun: Cheng Yu, the story of Jiang Tong Man and his betrayal to us, I’m sure you’ve heard of. You’re one of the most skilled and respected disciples here at Silent Moon Sect. Is there anything you want in this world? Tell me, and I’ll make sure you get it.

 

Cheng Yu: I don’t want or need anything as of now.

 

Mu Xun: (smirks) The elders of Silent Moon left a treasure for me and your Second Teacher; however it was decided that we were going to pass this treasure to the best disciple of our time.

 

(Cheng Yu looks up curiously, but he acts cool.)

 

Mu Xun: It’s a sword…

 

Cheng Yu: A sword? (Cheng Yu laughs smirks too.) At Silent Moon everyone is granted a sword upon entering, I must have heard wrong.

 

Mu Xun: This sword is different in its special own ways. When you hold it in your hand it will control you unless you control learn how to control it yourself. It kills recklessly as long as it’s what your heart desires. The sword has been secluded for 20 years now; you’re going to inherit it from First and Second Teacher. You dare to reject that?

 

(Cheng Yu slowly gets off the chair and kneels on the ground again in front of his teacher. He keeps his “cool” attitude.)

 

Cheng Yu: Thank you First Teacher.

 

Mu Xun: (smiling) Disciple Cheng Yu, the wine I drank earlier was to an agreement agreement. Since I already drank mine, wouldn’t it be rude if you don’t drink yours?

 

(Cheng Yu looks back at his cup of wine that’s sitting on the arm of the chair. He gets up slowly and grabs the cup. He glances over at his teacher, then drinks the wine down.)

 

Mu Xun: That sword will become yours; However to obtain this sword, I need you to do a favor for me, successfully.

 

(Cheng Yu doesn’t answer, but continues to stand and listen.)

 

Mu Xun: It’s been at most 25 years since Song Tian Lv has left us humiliated in the Jiang Hu world; and about 20 years since we last paid him a visit. Cheng Yu, do you happen to know who this “hero” is?

 

(Cheng Yu doesn’t answer, but continues to stare at his teacher sternly. He’s not mad, it’s just his attitude.)

 

Mu Xun: Song Tian Lv was a highly skilled Jiang Hu gangster. About twenty years ago he found his way into Silent Moon Sect and broke through our defenses. Afterwards he kidnapped a female disciple along with the Second elder’s legendary sword. Song Tian Lv along with the Silent Moon Disciple traveled the world defeating sects from all backgrounds until Second Teacher managed to kill our own disciple. As for Song Tian Lv he is now a madman with only a daughter, Song Tao Hua. You should be clear of what our deal is, right?

 

(Cheng Yu continues to stare sternly.)

 

Mu Xun: It just happens to be that the Song family’s daughter is friends with the Jiang family’s daughter. What a coincidence right?

 

Cheng Yu: Then what about Jiang Tong Man’s daughter?

 

Mu Xun: You don’t have to worry about her. I should let you know that you won’t be alone on this mission; Chunyu Wu Ding has already been sent out. However, just because you two are working together doesn’t mean that you have the same destinations. Wu Ding’s focus is Jiang Hua Lei, your focus is Song Tao Hua.

 

Cheng Yu: Chunyu Wu Ding? (smirks) Seems like that arrogant fool decided to join us after all.

 

Mu Xun: Cheng Yu you’re one of the best disciples here; Jiang Tong Man’s faults and wrongdoings shall not be shadowed by you. You’ve been involved with many women in the past; Song Tao Hua should not be any different.

 

(Mu Xun takes a deep breathe then waves her hand motioning for Cheng Yu to leave. Cheng Yu bows quickly then walks out.)

 

(Now back at Zhi Guang Martial Arts School, everyone is practicing their skills because I’m skipping it to when they only have 2 days left. The majority of the students are practicing and fighting each other, but of course some students are busy doing their own things. Guan Ping He is leaning his back on a wall reading one of Shao Gao Lie’s poetry books, Tie Lang is actually practicing his martial arts with Gao Lie, and Guang Ming is just sitting back watching everyone practice.)

 

(Ping He recites a poem out loud written by Tao Yuan Ming [364-427])

 

Ping He: “Bidding my family farewell, I retrace my footsteps again.
I thought I’d been there and should know my way,
But the peaks and ravines look different nowadays.
I only knew, deep into the mountain I hiked,
Passing several streams with a foggy forest in sight.
In springtime peach blossoms and water are everywhere,
Now there is no way for me to find this paradise fair.”

 

Ping He: (to Guang Ming who is sitting not far from him.) Hey, Ming Er ah… What exactly is this poem saying?

 

Guang Ming: What poem?

 

(Ping He  repeats himself.)

 

Guang Ming: (laughs) You can’t take a guess at this?

 

Ping He: I’m not as bright as Gao Lie; I can’t easily take all this in.

 

Guang Ming: (He smiles and walks over to Ping He as he speaks.) This poem is not really referring to his family. It refers to life; when you see something beautiful and you don’t take the chance, it’ll eventually go away and you’ll never get that same chance again. It can be compared to this opportunity that Official Ya is giving everyone.

 

Ping He: (in an understanding tone) Oh… Then why aren’t you practicing?

 

Guang Ming: Practice what?

 

Ping He: Everyone here is getting ready for the competition for the beautiful opportunity you mentioned. Why don’t you practice too?

 

Guang Ming: (smiles) I… Don’t worry about it.

 

(Just then, Tie Lang throws tosses his sword and it lands right at Guang Ming’s side.)

 

Tie Lang: Guang Ming Er! I challenge you to a dual!

 

(Guang Ming smiles and grabs the sword. He has a little dual with Tie Lang and in no time he is already holing the blunt side of the sword against Tie Lang’s neck.)

 

Guang Ming: (laughs softly) I won!

 

(Guang Ming throws the sword on the ground then goes back to sit.)

 

Gao Lie: Guang Ming Er’s not bad at sword techniques. Eh, why don’t you have a dual with me too?

 

Tie Lang: I have a feeling that Ming Er’s going to win this, right?

 

Guang Ming: Don’t spout nonsense. I feel that Shao Gao Lie will win.

 

(Guang Ming gets up to have a dual with Gao Lie, but as they’re getting positioned to fight a teacher approaches them.)

 

Li Su: Student Guang, come with me. (he leaves)

 

(The young men all look at each other questioningly then Guang Ming walks after his teacher. When they arrive in the classroom where they practice Martial Arts, Teacher Li Su turns to face Guang Ming.)

 

Li Su: Ming Er, from all my years of teaching Martial Arts to young men at Zhi Guang, you are the most talented and brightest student; following closely behind you will most likely be Shao Gao Lie. When the competition arrives, I expect you to take it. Not just because you are the best I’ve taught, but you also are a very likeable person. The most fitted for this position, is obviously no one else but you.

 

Guang Ming: (in a polite manner) Teacher, I’m proud that you think that highly of me. But I do have to say, I really have no interest in becoming a scholar for the imperial court. That position should probably be handed to Gao Lie instead of me.

 

Li Su: Guang Ming, why are you saying this?

 

Guang Ming:  I just simply don’t want it; it’s nothing more than that.

 

Li Su: Shao Gao Lie’s personality is the most unfitted type of person to fill in this spot. His martial skills will never match up to those of yours so it’ll be impossible even if he made it to the final rounds against you. You are the pride of Zhi Guang, I’m going to teach you a set of skills that I was never allowed to teach here.

 

Guang Ming: The Imperial Martial Scholar is just a title; everyone has the same fate which is death. Once you’re gone, who will remember you?

 

Li Su: Ming Er, don’t say anything else. Follow my lead.

 

Guang Ming: (in a slightly frustrated voice.) Your skills are forbidden for a reason, it won’t be any good if you teach it to me!

 

Li Su: Say no more!

 

(Teacher Li Su uses his powers to create a gust of wind and pushes the doors closed. He then begins to charge at Guang Ming. Out of instinct Guang Ming defended himself so it results in a fight. Unknowingly, while Guang Ming is fighting his teacher he is also being taught the forbidden skills.)

 

(After that crazy day, Guang Ming is finally back in his room by nightfall. He sitting up on his bed while Gao Lie is once again reading his poems. The other two men are sleeping already. Gao Lie watches Guang Ming and he notices that Guang Ming looks like he’s either troubled or uncomfortable so Gao Lie sets his book down.)

 

Gao Lie: Guang Ming Er, why the long face?

 

Guang Ming: It’s nothing.

 

(Gao Lie gets up and walks over to Guang Ming’s bed.)

 

Gao Lie: Don’t say it’s nothing; we all grew up together. I can tell when it’s nothing and when it’s not nothing. What is it?

 

(Guang Ming doesn’t answer.)

 

Gao Lie: Is it another girlfriend? What’s her name now?

 

Guang Ming: (laughs) What girlfriend? I never had a girlfriend.

 

Gao Lie: (smiles) Then what is it?

 

(Guang Ming is silent for a long time, then he finally speaks.)

 

Guang Ming: Follow me somewhere.

 

(Guang Ming gets up and walks out of the room followed by a very confused Gao Lie. Guang Ming walks and walks and just keeps walking a very long way.)

 

Gao Lie: Guang Ming Er, where are heading to?

 

Guang Ming: Just keep walking.

 

(As they walk, Gao Lie realizes that Guang Ming is taking them out of the school boundaries. Then Gao Lie begins to panic.)

 

Gao Lie: Guang Ming, we’re off the school rounds! We’ll get punished if the teachers find us!

 

(Guang Ming turns around to face Gao Lie and he begins to attack him the same way his teacher was attacking him. Gao Lie also begins to defend himself out of instinct.)

 

Gao Lie: Guang Ming, what are you doing?! Have you lost your mind?!

 

(Guang Ming doesn’t answer, but continues to fight. Gao Lie is clearly losing to Guang Ming, so Guang Ming slows down the pace of his strikes.)

 

Guang Ming: Gao Lie, concentrate on my strikes and the rhythm which I’m hitting. That’s the only way you’ll be able to predict my next move. Don’t forget to defend yourself, but be sure to attack with your strength.

 

(Guang Ming continues to teach him and as he’s teaching him, Gao Lie slowly begins to understand what he is doing. Gao Lie begins to cooperate and in a couple of hours he catches onto what Guang Ming is teaching him.)

 

(It is now the day of the competition and all the students are wearing white uniforms standing patiently to see who they’re going up against. Everyone is waiting anxiously and there is lots of chattering among the students. All the teachers are sitting on a stage across from the fighting circle. Guang Ming is among the students who are waiting and he begins to observe other student’s facial expressions. As he scans their faces, he happens to glance over at Teacher Li Su; his teacher is looking straight at him and when they make eye contact, Teacher Li Su nods his head motioning for Guang Ming to win it all. Guang Ming looks away quickly. In all of this, the soldiers of the Imperial Court show up. Among the many Officials that attended, the Crown Prince of Chang An is also here to watch, ChunYu Wu Ding. [Ahhh! Oh Lawrd! Finally Yuan Hong!!] Wu Ding comes out of his carriage and a couple servants run over to shield him from the sun. They pull out an umbrella over his head and they all walk over to the stage area set up for the Imperial Court. He sits down and soon enough, Official Ya comes to sit down next to him.)

 

Official Ya: Crown Prince, I wasn’t expecting to see you here. Your father told me that you weren’t coming along.

 

Wu Ding: Whoever is chosen here is going to be one of my many body guards; give me a reason why I shouldn’t come.

 

Official Ya: (smiles) There’s no reason why Crown Prince shouldn’t come. I’m glad that you have chosen to tag along.

 

(Wu Ding just looks away with a very spoiled and bratty look. The competitions begin and all the students one by one go against each other bare handed. In the final round, it is between Gao Lie and Guang Ming.)

 

Gao Lie: (smiles) It’s an honor to be able to spar with the Imperial Martial Scholar.

 

Guang Ming: (smiles) Don’t look down on yourself.

 

Gao Lie: (gets into position) Come on!

 

(Guang Ming also gets into position and takes one last look at Teacher Li Su. His teacher is still looking at him, but now with a very stern look. A smirk appears on Guang Ming’s face and… A referee I guess yells START!)

 

(Guang Ming and Gao Lie both begin to fight. A couple moments into their fight, Guang Ming and Gao Lie both give each other a weird look. Then suddenly, they both begin to fight in the style that Teacher Li Su has taught Guang Ming. When Teacher Li Su sees that Guang Ming has taught the set of skills to Gao Lie, he begins to get super angry, but remains calm on the outside. Li Su quickly glances over at Wu Ding who also looks over to him. Wu Ding gives Li Su a death stare then turns back to watch the fight. As they’re fighting, Wu Ding concentrates on Guang Ming because his martial skills are very good actually and anyone watching can tell that Guang Ming is winning. Wu Ding then motions for one of his personal servants, Ma Chang Xia, to come over.)

 

Wu Ding: (he whispers to Chang Xia) The one fighting down there, get his information for me.

 

Chang Xia: There are two students fighting, which one’s background do you desire?

 

Wu Ding: (in an impatient voice) The one that’s obviously winning; who else?

 

(Chang Xia gives Wu Ding a little disgusted look and then walks off. Moments later he comes back and whispers to Wu Ding.)

 

Chang Xia: His name is Guang Ming and he comes from Ping An Town. He was adopted by the Jiang family and it just so happens that his adopted father is Jiang Tong Man.

 

(Wu Ding suddenly looks over at Chang Xia with a very surprised look.)

 

Wu Ding: Jiang Tong Man? (Wu Ding then turns again to look at Guang Ming.)

 

Chang Xia: Crown Prince shouldn’t worry too much about this guy. Li Su has arranged for him to win this no matter what; he won’t get in your way.

 

Wu Ding: Good then.

 

(They all continue to watch the competition, but near the end Wu Ding and Chang Xia gets up to leave.)

 

(As Guang Ming and Gao Lie are fighting, Guang Ming is really near victory. When Guang Ming realizes that he will win no matter what happens, he takes the opportunity and allows Gao Lie to strike him. Gao Lie takes one strike and then he realizes that Guang Ming purposely allowed that to happen. Suddenly, Gao Lie thinks back to when Guang Ming was telling them that he doesn’t want to win, he wants to go back home. Gao Lie thinks to himself that if that’s Guang Ming wants, then he’ll help Guang Ming make it true. Gao Lie begins to fight rougher and when he strikes for Guang Ming’s chest, Guang Ming uses his wrists to push up Gao Lie’s hands so it’s directed towards Guang Ming’s neck. When Gao Lie’s hands are wrapped around Guang Ming’s neck, Gao Lie tries to retreat but Guang Ming holds his wrists there. Gao Lie thinks quickly then he decides to transfer his chi into his palms; he strikes Guang Ming with all his powers right in the chest and Guang Ming flies off the circle platform they’re fighting on. Teacher Li Su is shocked because the chi/power move that Gao Lie just used was the one that he taught to Guang Ming. After Guang Ming lands on his outside the circle, the referee announces that Shao Gao Lie is the winner.)

 

Referee: Everyone, Shao Gao Lie is the winner of this competition! Therefore, he will be proceeding to take exams in the Imperial Court!

 

(As everyone cheers happily for Gao Lie, he takes a look at Guang Ming who is sitting on the ground and bleeding from the corner of his mouth. Guang Ming smiles to Gao Lie and stands up weakly to clap and cheer on Gao Lie. Gao Lie then awkwardly throws up his fist in air as a way to show pride and happiness. Teacher Li Su looks at Guang Ming angrily, but he pretends to clap and be happy about Gao Lie’s victory.)

 

(Later that night there is a celebration going on for Gao Lie and is victory. Guang Ming is happily celebrating and drinking with everyone only because he’s proud to be going home. Gao Lie walks over to Guang Ming and throws his arm over Guang Ming’s shoulder.)

 

Gao Lie: Everyone! Can we drink for Guang Ming Er here? I would have to admit that his skills are formidable!

 

Random Student: Gao Li Da Ge, I actually knew you were going to win from the start!

 

Random Student 1: Yeah, from all of us here you’re he most talented!

 

Ping He: But Ming Er’s skills weren’t too bad too! I think he deserves a cup of wine!

 

(Ping He pours himself a cup of wine and raises it in the air)

 

Ping He: Here! A toast to my good friend, Guang Ming!

 

(Guang Ming smiles happily and all the other students also pour themselves a cup of wine. They all have a toast and drink their wine. After Gao Lie and Guang Ming drink their cups, Guang Ming turns to Gao Lie and speaks softly.)

 

Guang Ming: Thank you.

 

Gao Lie: (smiles and pats Guang Ming on the shoulder.) We’re friends; why wouldn’t I help you? Like I said before, We all grew up together, I can tell just from your looks when there’s something and there’s nothing.

 

(Guang Ming smiles and he also pats Gao Lie on the shoulder.)

 

Guang Ming: Come on, a drink for us.

 

(Gao Lie smiles and nods approvingly. Guang Ming pours himself and Gao Lie a cup of wine. As they drink up their cups, the scene carries onto the next day. Gao Lie and Guang Ming are getting ready to leave as their fellow students come over and have a talk with them.)

 

Ping He: We’re going to miss you guys. To be honest, you two were the Big Brothers of Zhi Guang; what will we do if you guys aren’t here anymore.

 

(Gao Lie and Guang Ming both laugh)

 

Gao Lie: Don’t forget, anyone can be the next big brothers.

 

Guang Ming: I think that Ping He stands a good chance!

 

Ping He: How can I stand a chance? It’s impossible for me. Tian Tie Lang says that I’m too nice to be like you guys.

 

(Tie Lang approaches)

 

Tie Lang: Hey! The two of you dare to leave without giving Tian Tie Lang a word?!

 

Guang Ming: Yeah, you can’t do anything about it anyways.

 

Tie Lang: (smiles and stops right in front of Guang Ming.) It’s a good thing that you’re gone now. There will be no one else to fight for beautiful girls with.

 

Guang Ming: Oh, is that so?

 

Gao Lie: (to Tie Lang) You’ll probably have to work on being handsome then.

 

Tie Lang: Are you saying that I’m not handsome enough? Where can I not match up to Ming Er?

 

Gao Lie: What do you think?

 

(Tie Lang smiles and they all have a good laugh. Then Tie Lang takes out four pieces of a broken jade pendent from his sleeves. He holds the four pieces up in his hands.)

 

Tie Lang: I spent all night yesterday cutting this Jade pendent into four equal pieces. This jade pendent was given to me by my mother before I left to Zhi Guang.

 

Ping He: if your mother gave it you then why did you cut it for?

 

Tie Lang: Brotherhood.

 

(the three other guys all look at the jade pendants questioningly.)

 

Tie Lang: Since you two losers are leaving me and Ping He alone, these jade pendants will be tokens of our friendship. But, if you accept this pendant you are also taking an oath.

 

Guang Ming: (smiles) Did you come up with this all last night?

 

Tie Lang: Yes I did.

 

Gao Lie: What kind of oath?

 

Tie Lang: An oath stating that we will always be friends no matter what happens and no matter where we are in the future. We’ll always be friends, and be brothers.

 

(Gao Lie smiles and grabs one of the pieces from Tie Lang’s hand. Guang Ming also smiles and grabs one. Then everyone looks at Ping He who hasn’t grabbed one yet.)

 

Guang Ming: are you not taking one?

 

Ping He: Although I hate Tian Tie Lang, I really like Shao Gao Lie and Guang Ming. So for their sake, I’ll take one.

 

(Ping He finally takes one too and they all just stand there smiling at each other.)

 

(Official Ya approaches)

 

Official Ya: Are you two ready? Guang Ming ah, are you sure you really don’t want a carriage to send you off?

 

Guang Ming: I’m sure.

 

Official Ya: How about a horse then?

 

Guang Ming: I came to Zhi Guang on foot when I was younger; it’ll only be right if I return the way I got here.

 

Official Ya: (nods) Well said; it’s such a pity that you have lost this time around.

 

(Guang Ming, Ping He, and Tie Lang all look at Gao Lie quickly. Guang Ming smiles and throws his arm around Gao Lie.)

 

Guang Ming: Shao Gao Lie is a very good and righteous person; he’s also very smart and knows way more than me. If you have forgotten he even defeated me in martial arts, I’m obviously lacking something he doesn’t.

 

Ping He: And Gao Lie is a very capable guy! It’s right of you as an Official to look down on him  like this!

 

Tie Lang: Just take our word for it! Shao Gao Lie will be a terrific Scholar and I can guarantee you that he will pass the exams easily!

 

Official Ya: (nods) Perhaps. Shao Gao Lie, we should be on our way now.

 

Gao Lie: Okay, I know.

 

(Official Ya smiles and walks away.)

 

Guang Ming: Aiya, I wonder if this guy is going to be hard to handle.

 

Ping He: He has to be; just look at the way he looks down on Gao Lie already. How unfair and corrupted is he exactly?

 

(Gao Lie turns back to look at the Officials who are already climbing into their sedans. Gao Lie lets out a sigh and Guang Ming can tell that Gao Lie is quite nervous.)

 

Guang Ming: Go; you’ll be a great Scholar.

 

Ping He: Yeah, like what Tie Lang said, “You’ll be terrific!”

 

Tie Lang: I don’t say things too often that makes sense, so when I that you’ll be terrific you better believe it.

 

(Gao Lie suddenly sticks out his hand in front of him and looks at his friends. Tie Lang smiles and places his hand on top of Gao Lie’s hand. Ping He does the same and then they all look at Guang Ming. Guang Ming also smiles and does the same.)

 

Gao Lie: We’ll all be friends forever.

 

Tie Lang: Brother forever to be exact.

 

Gao Lie: (nods) Mm.

 

(Gao Lie also leaves and climbs on a horse. As he leaves, everyone says bye to him. When they’re all out of sight, the students turn to bid farewell to Guang Ming and he’s already half way down the trail to walk home.)

 

Tie Lang: Hey! You bastard! Why didn’t you wait for us?! Come back and say bye to us!

 

(All the students begin to scream and yell, but Ping He calms everyone down.)

 

Ping He: Stop screaming at Ming Er! From how I know him he hates partings the most; he probably left without a word because he can’t care to say goodbye to any one of us. Just take his silent departure as his way of wishing us good luck. We’re all his classmates, let’s just all say goodbye to him nicely. (Ping He turns to face the trail and screams loudly.) Guang Ming! Have safe journey home! We’ll be awaiting your return next season! Goodbye Guang Ming!

 

(All the other students along with Tie Lang begin to scream and bid farewell to Guang Ming.)