Song 2

Hearts' Medley

"A very good afternoon to all. We thank you for taking the time to come and attend Apollo's press conference today. We had had numerous discussions with both our company and amongst ourselves over the recent outbreak of events, coming to the conclusion that it was due to the fact that we were still young and lacking in many areas.”

 

Sunjung paused as she glanced across the room, her hand shaking slightly from grasping the microphone too hard. The conference room was packed with people and various recording machines. All faces and cameras were focused straight on the six teenage girls sitting at the long table that had been set up in the front of the room.

 

And they said this room could accommodate 300 people… I didn't even know there were so many reporters in Korea. Shouldn't the company at least limit the number of people that were going to turn up?

 

Sunjung cursed in her heart as she looked at her members who were sitting on both her sides. Despite having pasted forced smiles on their faces, it was more than apparent to her that they were exhausted. Even Hyunae, who was well known for her bright and sunny smiles, was having difficulty with keeping the tight smile on her face. The scandal had indeed taken a toil on them all.

 

Swallowing past the lump in , Sunjung turned her attention back to the front. The news she was going to release was a script that she had practiced countless times over the last few days.

 

"As a result of our self reflections, we realised that we still had many short comings that we need to improve on. Hence, I would like to make use of this opportunity to announce that Apollo will be ceasing all our activities temporarily. This is to allow all the members time to undertake additional training to rectify their shortcomings, and also to further develop themselves."

 

As Sunjung set down the microphone gently onto the table, a loud gasp rang throughout the small room before chaos ensued. Flashlights started going off from all directions as all the reporters in the room started bombarding the band with questions simultaneously.

 

"Why did Apollo make such a radical decision suddenly?"

 

"Sunjung! Over here! Is the band doing this because of Soo-hei's scandal?"

 

"Soo-Hei! What do you have to say with regards to the band being placed off activities?"

 

"What is the band going to do after that? Are you guys going to be disbanded?"

 

This particular question caught Sunjung's attention. A fire started burning in her as she began to reach out for the microphone to express her annoyance at the last question.

 

No! I will never let Apollo be disbanded! How could they say that?

 

However, before she could reach the microphone, she was stopped by Hyunae who held her back through a soft tug on her arm from under the table. Shaking her head discreetly, Hyunae jerked her head backwards, casting her eyes towards the sides of the room, letting them lie on their managers and PR officials of the company for a moment, before glancing back at Sunjung again.

 

Hold that thought or you're going to get into trouble.

 

The younger girl pleaded desperately, trying to send the message across with her big round eyes. Her attempt at calming her enraged leader down worked as Sunjung understood the entreaty she was transmitting frantically through her eyes. Exerting a tremendous amount of effort, Sunjung managed to withhold the words that were already at the tip of her tongue. Her smile becoming strained, she slowly withdrew the hand that was merely inches away from the microphone.

 

Before the press conference, they had direct orders from their CEO to follow the script to the last word and not make any excess comments. She tried to smile at Hyunae as she forced herself to relax and leaned back into the chair, grateful that she was halted before uttering words that would place them in a worse situation.

 

For the next hour, the weary girls had to maintain the smile on their face as they sat through the most torturous press conference they had ever experienced since their debut. This press conference was the answer their management had thought up after the meeting that Apollo had with their CEO. It was the company’s intention for them to lay low briefly while waiting for the entire incident to blow over. Since they could see no alternatives than what was suggested, they had no other choice but to accept the management’s decision.

 

“How long do we have to wait? Will there be such a day when we can step onto the stage again?”

 

Only when they were back in the comfort of their company van then did Jinah dared to voice her fears out.

 

“Jinah-ah, Lee Soo Man seonsaengnim promised us that he will definitely let us go off hiatus when the whole thing cooled down, didn’t he?”

 

Sunjung answered with a heavy sigh. She leaned back against the black leather seat and shut her bleary eyes. She was glad that the press conference was finally over. A mutual agreement was reached between the band and the management, and a decision with regards to the scandal was made at last. There was no longer any need for her to attend those interminably long meetings anymore. Besides discussing possible solutions to their current predicament, she had to constantly make her stand that Apollo would never consent to the expulsion of Soo-Hei. All the negotiations with the management were taking a toll on her. It was through sheer luck that she managed the press conference without a slip despite the fuzziness of her brain.

 

However, Jin-ah was far from satisfied with her answer.

 

“Yes, but when? We can’t keep waiting, can we?”

 

“Jinah’s right... What if they decide to keep us on hiatus indefinitely? Do we keep waiting?”

 

Hyojung piped up as she joined in the conversation. They both stared at the silent Sunjung who had her eyes closed, waiting for a convincing reply from their leader. Looking back and forth at the three of them, Hyunae took pity on the worn out Sunjung and decided to take charge of the situation. Sunjung had had enough over the past few weeks, and being the second oldest, Hyunae felt that she was the next in line to assuage their fears.

 

“Come on guys, let’s knock it off for today shall we? Everyone’s had a hard day, and we will discuss this in further details after all of us had taken a well deserved rest okay?”

 

Hyunae answered as she gave both of them a reassuring smile, trying to mollify them. When they attempted to continue talking, she motioned towards the silent Sunjung and shook her head at them reproachingly. She really wanted them to give Sunjung some moments of peace and quiet. Minhee backed her up while grabbing her sleeping mask from the side compartment.

 

“Hyunae unnie’s right, let’s just stop here today okay?”

 

Catching the subtle hints, the two nodded unwillingly and leaned back against their respective chairs, a mulish expression etched on each of their face. Breathing out a sigh of relief, Hyunae exchanged concerned glances with Minhee. Those two would not rest until they receive a satisfactory answer to their questions. All they merely did was to delay them. Sunjung had her work cut out for her.

 

Silence reigned in the van as everyone withdrew into themselves to ponder over the uncertain future of their band. Many minutes later, catching sight of the horde of reporters that were lying in wait for them at the gate of the building, Hyunae moved forward in her seat and gently prodded the drowsing Sunjung, waking her up.

 

“We’re here, Unnie.”

 

The van dropped them off at their respective dorms before heading back to the company. Bidding Soohei, Hyojung and Jinah farewell, the remaining three girls started walking back to their apartment in The Sharp Star City Tower C while the other three started towards Tower A.

 

Once they reached home, Sunjung walked unerringly towards her room, muttering intelligible words under her breath. Perturbed, Hyunae and Minhee gazed worriedly at the retreating back view of their leader. Throughout the two years that they had lived together, never once had they seen her this tired. Despite their desire to share her burden, they knew that she was someone whom was uneasy with expressing her discomfit; choosing to shoulder all the responsibilities and bear everything silently. Hearing the distinct creak of the metal bars of Sunjung’s bed, they figured that she had crashed onto it immediately. All they could do for her was to make sure she had a good rest and offer her whatever support that she might need.

 

Once in her room, Sunjung staggered with half-closed eyelids in the direction of her bed. She did not even bother removing her makeup nor make any efforts to change out of her clothes. Her energy had been sapped out and never once had she longed for sleep this much. She felt so tired that she fell asleep even before her head hit the pillows.

 

By the time she next opened her eyes, it was already night time. Gradually coming out of her deep slumber, Sunjung flipped herself onto her back wearily, rubbing her groggy eyes as they slowly got used to the darkness of the room.

 

What time is it?

 

Grappling for the mantel piece clock that was situated at the head of her bed, she held it up to her face as she squinted at the time. It was already nine in the night.

 

That feels good... This is a timely three hour nap...

 

Her mind still hazy with sleep, Sunjung got up from her bed sleepily. She winced as she felt her foot coming into contact with a plastic material. Bending down, she felt about for it and grimaced when she found her glasses underneath her bed. She must have dumped it in her haste to get to her bed. Putting it back on clumsily, she pulled open her bedroom door, scrunching up her eyes at the sudden brightness. The house was rather quiet as she stepped out of her room. The living room lights were switched on, but there was nobody there.

 

“Hyunae? Minhee?”

 

Sunjung called out as she walked towards the couch. There was a bowl on the coffee table that was covered by a lid. Ambling forward, she reached out and lifted the lid as she sat herself down on the couch. To her surprise, it was a bowl full of Ddeokbokki. It was still warm as she lifted the bowl and took a long sniff at the aroma.

 

Hyunae must have asked Minhee to prepare this for me... I wonder where they went...

 

Sunjung smiled as she put a huge mouthful into , feeling the chewy treat fill up completely. Lying back against the couch in bliss, she closed her eyes and felt the gentle spiciness gradually travelled down and into her stomach. She could felt her mood lifting and the drowsiness fading away with each bite.

 

Suddenly, she heard the shuffling of a pair of bedroom slippers as they came closer. Before she could turn, the person came up behind her and started massaging her shoulders. She sighed in enjoyment before popping another mouthful of her comfort food into . It could only be Hyunae as Minhee did not know how to give massages.

 

“Hyunae-ah... Did you cook this ddeokbokki? You must have asked Minhee to cook it right? I know you’re too lazy to clean up the dishes...”

 

Sunjung teased as she relaxed under the skilful hands of her dongsaeng. This was the first time in many days that she actually managed to let herself loose. Hyunae really know how to comfort a person.

 

“I bought it, my pabo jagiya”

 

Sunjung almost jumped out of her skin when a deeper voice answered her. Scrambling onto her feet, she whirled around and found her unofficial boyfriend standing behind her with his infamous evil smirk on his face.

 

“How did you- Yah! What are you doing here?”

 

Sunjung was flustered as she tried to straighten her bed head hairstyle, patting furiously at the dishevelled hair.

 

“Aish, don’t bother straightening it. It’s messy regardless,”

 

Kyuhyun smiled as he leapt nimbly over the couch and landed directly in front of Sunjung, just inches away. Sunjung yelped and almost fell backwards from shock but Kyuhyun held her against him in a tight hug before she could protest.

 

Sunjung felt her heartbeat accelerating as she stood all snuggled up with the maknae of Suju. They had only been together for slightly more than half a year, and she was still bashful from being in a relationship. She squirmed uncomfortably, trying to get away, but Kyuhyun paid her no heed, trapping her in his arms as he refused to budge.

 

“Oppa… Let me go… What if Minhee or Hyunae sees us?”

 

“Don’t worry… They’re not around. Hyunae went upstairs to the 12th floor to play with Bada while Minhee’s at the 11th, with Hyukie hyung…”

 

“Then what are you doing here?”

 

“I’m worried about you…”

 

Kyuhyun answered as he pulled her out of his embrace and stared into her eyes attentively. Sunjung could feel her blush building up as he her short hair lovingly before moving in to plant a gentle peck upon her forehead.

 

“I asked Hyunae to let me come and spend some time with you… She pulled Minhee out with her… Are you angry at me for doing this?”

 

Sunjung couldn’t help but chuckle at the guilty look on Kyuhyun’s face. She had been very careful with their relationship as a dating ban had been placed on the teenage Apollo since their debut. Amused at the awry way he was eyeing her, she smothered a laugh at the thought that the evil maknae of Super Junior was actually afraid of her wrath. Shaking her head in bemusement at the ludicrous thought, she smiled at her lover boy.

 

“Will you be afraid if I am?”

 

“Maybe,”

 

Kyuhyun laughed as he pulled her down to sit on the couch. He then urged her to continue eating the food that he had lovingly prepared for her. Kyuhyun was very worried about Sunjung when Soohei’s scandal first broke out. He knew that being the leader of Apollo, she would have to bear the brute of the stress that were placed on them.

 

I hope it will not affect our relationship…

 

He silently prayed in his heart as he kept his eyes on her face, heart heavy with worry. But he knew that Sunjung would not share her burden with him. Thus, the only thing he can do was to show her support by being the shoulder that she can lean on when she felt tired.

 

Upstairs in Apartment 1201, Hyunae was stealing glances at the black haired boy who was sitting on the couch that was facing her, deeply engrossed in a book. Donghae’s dog, a Maltese named as Bada, was lying on its back contentedly beside her, enjoying the belly rub that she was giving him.

 

Oppa… Please give me some of your attention…

 

It had been half an hour since their last eye contact, and all her efforts to engage him in conversations were futile. She wished she was half as interesting as that book he was reading, then perhaps he would pay some attention to her.

 

“Teukie oppa, do you want a drink?”

 

Hyunae had finally given up on trying to make Leeteuk look up telepathically. He looked at her and gave her a warm smile which showed off his dimple before returning to his book.

 

“Okay! Just get me something sweet,”

 

“Arasso!”

 

Hyunae got up on her feet and skipped towards the kitchen happily, the happiest she had felt in the past week. Leeteuk’s cute smile never failed to brighten her day. It was the exact smile that captured her heart since they met 4 years ago. She yanked the fridge door opened and retrieved two cans of coke.

 

“Bada! No! There’s nothing for you here!”

 

She chided as the small white bundle of fur poked its head into the fridge, looking for treats. She scooped some ice into two glasses before pouring the dark brown liquid inside. Walking back to the living room, she set the glass down gently in front of Leeteuk.

 

“Thanks!”

 

Leeteuk flashed another megawatt smile at her and set his book down his lap, patting the seat beside him gently. Hyunae took the seat happily and pulled Bada up into her laps, giving it another belly rub. Leeteuk took a sip of the cooling liquid and studied Hyunae’s face closely.

 

Hmm… Is she looking more tired than usual?

 

Leeteuk shook his head and resumed reading his book again. Suddenly, he heard the familiar whirl of static as the television . He looked to his side and found Hyunae holding the remote.

 

“Oh I’m sorry, am I disturbing your reading?”

 

Hyunae’s face was filled with guilt as she scrunched up her face cutely at her thoughtlessness. Chuckling at the adorable expression on her face, he waved his hand dismissively, answering that he had enough reading for the night as well. Immensely amused at the audible sigh of relief she heaved out at his answer, he fought to maintain his impassiveness as he closed the book with a snap.

 

She’s just like a child.

 

Leeteuk smiled as Hyunae held Bada up to her face once more before giving it a small peck lovingly. Hyunae’s love for animals was apparent, but because of Sunjung’s animal phobia, she was unable to keep any pets in the dorm. Hence, as an alternative, Hyunae often came up to their apartment to play with either Donghae’s dog or Heechul’s cats.

 

“Earlier today, famous girl band Apollo announced a shocking news through a press conference…”

 

The current report that was playing on the news caught both of their attention. The screen switched to a recording of the press conference that Apollo held earlier in the day. All six girls were dressed in dark colours and sitting solemnly along a long table.

 

Oh god! My smile is horrendous! Why must Leeteuk oppa see this?

 

Hyunae groaned inwardly as the camera zoomed in on Sunjung, who was holding on to the mike. Since she was sitting right beside her, she was captured in the shot too.

 

“As a result of our self reflections, we realised that we still had many short comings that we need to improve on. Hence, I would like to make use of this opportunity to announce that Apollo will be ceasing all our activities temporarily. This is to allow all…”

 

“MWO? Apollo’s going on hiatus?!”

 

Leeteuk could not believe his ears. Hyunae simply looked down at Bada without answering him. In the background, the news continued on more reports on Apollo’s hiatus. Picking up the remote, he switched the television off.

 

“Was it the company’s decision?”

 

Hyunae nodded in reply without looking up. She then placed Bada down on the ground gently before glancing up at Leeteuk. Her eyes were starting to get red as she tried to force a smile onto her face. Leeteuk was saddened at the news of Apollo being placed off activities. After all, the two groups were both launched as project groups which then became official groups. Being the close friend of Sunjung, he was aware that Apollo meant the world to her. To have it placed on hiatus was like killing one part of her.

 

As for Hyunae, he had heard many concerns from his pal that the girl had been practising very hard for the band. Sunjung had more than once confided in him that she was worried for Hyunae. The usually sunny girl had grown reserved upon the recent turn of events, suggesting that she had been bottling up a lot of stress inside her.

 

“Are you okay?”

 

I have to be, for Sunjung’s sake… I need to be there to hold the band together, alongside her…

 

“Yes oppa. Don’t worry… At least we had not disbanded!”

 

Hyunae flashed another sweet smile at him, trying to hide the agony in her heart. When she heard that the band was going to be placed on hiatus, she felt just as pained as all the other members. However, she knew that Sunjung had already tried her best to fight for the band. She also understand that blaming Soohei would not change anything. Hence, she took on the role as being the cheerful one, trying to make everyone else see the optimism in their bleak situation.

 

She had a hard time accepting the fact though. On one hand, she was apprehensive about the length of time that the company was going to place them on hold. They were at the peak of their careers, and being placed off activities at this point of time could mean the downfall of them all. On the other hand, she was also worried that the company might disband the group. If that happened, not only would she lose the career that she had been working hard on for this couple of years, but also the weak link she had with Leeteuk.

                                                      

God… Why let us climb so high when you were planning to let us fall all the way down without catching us?