Song 1

Hearts' Medley

2008

 

“Apollo! What is SM planning to do with regards to Soo-Hei? Will she be expelled from the band?”

 

“Hyun-Ae, what do you have to say about the Soo-Hei scandal? Is it true?”

 

“Sun-Jung, please comment on the news with regards to your fellow band member!”

 

“Soo-Hei! Look this way! What is your relationship with actor Bae Chong-Ho? Are you really pregnant?”

 

Flashlights began to bombard the six girls the moment they alighted from the black company van that they were travelling in. Holding their hands up to their forehead in an attempt to shield their eyes from the bright flashes, the six girls climbed down hesitantly from the van, glancing warily at the pandemonium that greeted them.

 

Numerous reporters had been waiting for their arrival for hours and the moment Apollo’s trademark black van was spotted turning into the drive way, they scrambled forward, trying to get the first snoop on the news that were making the headlines in Korean Entertainment Industry.

 

Apollo’s lead vocalist Kim Soo-Hei, embroiled in extramarital affair.

 

In response to the dozens of questions that were thrown at them, all six girls merely smiled and nodded politely like they were trained to, refusing to make any comments. Following the small path that their manager and the security guards had squeezed out for them amidst the crowd, they lowered their heads and headed into their management building.

 

“Thank you for the concern, but we have no comments in relevance to the matter. Please wait patiently for our company’s official statement. Kamsahamnida.”

 

Halting just outside the sliding glass doors of the large building, Paek Sun-Jung, the leader of the group, bowed courteously at the horde of reporters before turning around and followed her members in. Chaos ensued after her short statement as the reporters began to clamour for her attention, urging her to reveal more. Several security officers rushed to her side to protect her from the over-zealous reporters as they strained against the human wall their managers and other security guards had formed in front of the building.  

 

Breathing out a sigh of relief as she finally managed to slip inside the building, leaving the media circus outside, Sunjung hurried towards her other five members who were waiting for her and ushered them into the waiting lift.

 

“What in the world are we supposed to do now? Is the company really gonna disband us?”

 

Im Jin-Ah, the second youngest member of the group whipped off her big sunglasses and wailed as soon as the lift door closed. Her question reverberate in the silence of the lift as the other members shifted uneasily while removing their own shades, not knowing what to reply her. All eyes shifted to Kim Soohei, the cause of their problem. She kept her head down, afraid to meet the eyes of her fellow members. After all, Apollo was in this sticky situation all because of her reckless behaviour and thoughtless actions.

 

“I… I’m sorry…”

 

Soohei mumbled in a small voice as she the loose thread of the grey cardigan she was clad in nervously, aware of the accusing eyes that were still on her. Like the rest of them, she was apprehensive of the group’s fate after being involved in such a scandal, especially since she was the female lead in it. Lifting her gaze fearfully to meet Sunjung’s tired one, she gave the older girl a pleading look, receiving a heavy sigh in return.

 

“Now is not the time to cast the blame… What’s important now is for us to stick together. I won’t abandon any of my members.”

 

Rubbing the bridge of her nose wearily, Sunjung gave them a warning look before stepping out of the lift. Even within the company, people were casting denunciatory glances at the girls while speaking to one another in hushed tones. She was exhausted from being in various meetings with the management of the company, trying to find a solution to the predicament that their band was facing. As they walked past the common room, the members of Super Junior, who were close friends with Apollo since their trainee days, came up to express their concerns.

 

"Don’t worry, Sunjung. I’m sure everything will be all right,”

 

Leeteuk, the leader smiled as he placed a comforting hand upon the shoulders of his pal. Meanwhile, Donghae, who was very close friends with Lee Hyun-Ae, the visual and sub vocalist, walked up and gave her an encouraging hug while the rest of the members of both band exchanged smiles.

 

“I certainly hope so,”

 

Sunjung managed as she forced out a wan smile, thanking them for their well-wishes. Not wanting to be late for their meeting, the members of Apollo continued after the short exchange, waving their goodbyes to their kind-hearted oppas who were yelling out words of encouragement behind them.

 

The scandal had attracted the attention of the conservative society of Korea, taking a spot in the headlines ever since it had exploded in their face. The fact that Apollo was one of the country’s leading band in the music industry only served to accelerate the pace at which it spread. Before long, almost all of Korea’s reporters and paparazzi were onto the juicy news. It was imperative that the company made an official response soon, calming the entire fiasco down before it could worsen. This scandal that Soohei was embroiled in was so serious that the top management of the company was contemplating on kicking her out of the group.

 

It had taken her days of persuasion and discussions before Sunjung could convince them in considering other alternatives. All she hoped for now was that the entire band would present a united front during the meeting with their CEO, Lee Soo Man seonsaengnim. As they trudged along the glossy marbled floor of the building, the echoes of the clicks of their high heels were the only sounds that could be heard in the hushed silence of the hallway. Sunjung’s worry was apparent by her stiff shoulders and the frown that was creasing her brows.

 

“We’ll back you up.”

 

The usually bubbly Hyunae assured her leader with a solemn look. The direness of their situation was not lost on her. Taking in the dark circles that could not be concealed with the expertly applied make-up that Sunjung was wearing, the other members nodded sombrely, seconding her opinion. It was rare for their leader to look this fatigued. Despite the fact that they were upset about being dragged into something that was not of their making, their loyalty towards one another compelled them to support their fellow comrade through it. This was what being a team truly meant. 

 

“Ready?”

 

Pausing in front of the heavy oak door that led to the office of their company’s CEO, Sunjung glanced over her back at her fellow members in askance.

 

“We’ll follow your lead.”

 

Kim Hyo-Jung, one of the lead singers of the group murmured as she gave the tensed Soohei a comforting pat on the back.

 

“Don’t worry, we won’t let them kick you out.”

 

Hyunae added gently as she moved forward to give her a one armed hug while Jinah gave her hands a small squeeze in a form of encouragement.

 

“As long as we lie low until everything blows over, it should be alright.”

 

Even the reserved Min-Hee joined in their efforts at easing Soohei’s anxiousness.

 

“I’m really sorry for everything…”

 

Touched at the support her members were showing her regardless of the trouble she had caused them, she lifted her teary eyes upwards to meet their sympathetic gazes. Even though they must be upset with her, they still decided to stand by her side, supporting her in whichever means they could.

 

“C’mon cry-baby, people might think that we were bullying you.”

 

Sunjung teased as she too, moved forward to wipe the tears off Soohei’s face. Meeting the determined faces of the other members, she held her hand out, palm down.

 

“Apollo hwaiting!”

 

They whispered softly as the other five followed suit and laid their respective hands above their leader’s waiting one.

 

Steeling herself for the tough fight ahead, Sunjung drew in a deep breath before lifting her fist and rapping her knuckles on the door in front of her.

 

This merely marked the beginning to the endless battles that they would have to combat against as a group.

 

I hope Apollo is strong enough for the upcoming challenges…