Chapter14

Happy Endings Institute

                Being alone was something Tao was too familiar with. It’d been three days since he’d ordered Junghan to leave and he was beginning to miss his presence. Maybe it was because he knew there was someone he could go home to and see, and hope that Junghan would have gone out of his way for Tao, even though that would be a miracle. But now even without his annoying remarks Tao felt the room was larger and colder and empty.

                “Junghan was just curious” Tao reminded himself for the nth time that day, “He knows nothing about Soonyoung and he just wanted to know why I loved him so much. Maybe if I just told him some things about Soonyoung he’d understand.” He nodded giving himself support then ventured out of the dorm to find his roommate.

                Junghan wasn’t really hard to find. Before he moved out he was spending a lot of time in the gym avoiding Tao. And there he was again, this time with his bags tucked in the corner while he bounced a flat basketball with all this arm strength up and down the court.

                Tao was about to make his way over to apologize and explain his relationship with Soonyoung when he heard an unexpected conversation rounding the corner.

                “Tarin, I went to our website today and noticed you took Soonyoung off the bid list. Does this mean he’s sold?” Heiryung piped into her cell phone rather loudly. “He’s not? Then why is his name off the list, Tarin? Did you find him? What do you mean? God damn it, Tarin. You find me that boy. You promised me him. What do you mean you are taking down the advertisements?! Tarin! If you don’t find him, I’ll release the names of all the trainees you sold illegally including Soonyoung’s and your Son’s!”

                There was a snap of Heiryung’s phone and the click of her high heels coming closer. Tao screeched the gym door open hurrying his walk towards Junghan. “TAO!” He heard called behind him. The consistent sound of a basket ball bouncing stopped and both Tao and Junghan turned around. “Tao come here. I want to talk to you.”

                Junghan furrowed his eyebrows not knowing Tao came to visit him. Tao reluctantly retraced his steps over to Heiryung. “Come with me.” She hissed digging her nails into Tao’s arm and pulling him away harshly.

                Tao was forced into a room he really didn’t want to be in alone with Heiryung. “So, Tao. You roomed with Soonyoung, right?” Tao nodded his head watching Heiryung jab the end of an ironing stick into burning coals. “You were close with Soonyoung. Even I know that. So, you know where he went. I know you do.” Tao had sweat pearling on his forehead from the heat in the room. “I know you’ve been lying to us, Tao. So, why don’t you tell me where your little friend is now and you won’t have to get hurt?”

                “I don’t know where he is.” Tao said firmly. Heiryung sighed shaking her head and pulling Tao’s shirt over his head revealing a mess of scars on his back. She let the head of the stick hover over Tao’s skin. 

                “Are you sure?” She asked heating Tao’s back. He nodded closing his eyes tightly and clenching his teeth. “That’s a shame.” Heiryung sang pressing the rounded triangle into his skin. Tao screamed trying to move as much as he could in the restraints he was in. The burning sensation dragged along his back heating it until it turned from red to white. Tao cried out pleas of forgiveness tensing everything in his body.

                “Tell me where he is Tao. I’m getting impatient.” Heiryung removed the stick from his back putting it back into the coals. He could hear her pace around the room and pick something up off the ground. Tao’s breaths were short for he knew what was coming next. “Where is he Tao?” She asked once again.

                “I don’t know!” Tao screamed through tears before a full bucket of ice cold water was poured over his back. The sizzle the water made after coming into contact with the burning heat would forever be engraved in Tao’s mind. His back was frozen all around the patch that was just burned into his skin. The sound of coal shifting while Heiryung whipped the stick out of them made Tao whimper. The burning stick was smacked back onto his back side leaving him to scream and whither helplessly.

                “Please Miss Heiryung. Please stop.” He wailed craving into the wooden chair with his nails. Heiryung pulled the stick away and fisted the top of Tao’s hair.

                “Find out where he is by tomorrow or this will happen to you again, you hear?” She spat in his face before untying the ropes allowing Tao to crawl to his shirt. She exited the room swiftly leaving the door open. Cold air rushed to Tao’s body stinging his hot burns.

                Tao pulled his shirt two different ways trying to ease the pain he was feeling. The shirt started to tear diagonally, but Tao didn’t care. He was in too much pain to put his shirt back on anyways. After two hours withering in pain in the small room, Tao had regained enough strength to walk home.

                His head hung in shame as his exposed the punishment he had just received to the other trainees. Tao couldn’t hear their worried whispers past the sound of his own flesh burning in his mind. His legs slugged along the ground to his room. He opened the door to see Junghan sitting patiently on Soonyoung’s bed.

                Junghan rushed onto his feet helping Tao lie face down on his bed. Junghan ran through every drawer and cabinet looking for any medication and applying it to Tao’s back. Tao cried feeling more numb than in pain. He couldn’t form full words let alone sentences through his crying.

                Tao didn’t know what was making him cry more; the pain of rubbing alcohol across his fresh wounds or the fact that someone – Junghan at that – was caring for him. “What the happened?!” Junghan screamed, though he didn’t mean to. The sense of urgency to help his roommate was flowing through him.

                Blood curdling screams scraped from the back of Tao’s throat when Junghan pressed too hard on a burn that had cut open and was bleeding profusely. “I’m sorry! I’m sorry!” He cried easing up and piling tissue after tissue on the cut. “I don’t know what to do!” Tao closed his eyes, but he could still feel Junghan’s worried look on him.

                Junghan backed away from Tao when the bleeding stopped and sat back against Soonyoung’s bed. His face was we from sweat and tears. Tao was breathing heavily body glistening with alcohol. “Why are you crying?” When Tao spoke his voice was raw and his throat hurt.

                “I don’t know. I was worried. I’ve never seen you –“ Junghan stopped mid sentence and looked at Tao’s . Tao nodded struggling to pull himself up off his chest. “Does she always punish you like that?” Tao nodded again, this time slowly and somewhat in pain. “I never get it like that.”

                Tao tried not to laugh in jealousy because Junghan would never get punished like him. The only reason Tao was punished worse than the others was because he was the last true connection to Soonyoung. Yes, the entire institute was a giant brotherhood, but Tao roomed with Kris and Soonyoung. He knew them better than anyone else.

                “I thought you were going to die or something.” Junghan tried to laugh, but it came out as a sob. “What would I have done if you died?”

                “Heiryung wouldn’t kill me. I’m too tough for her to kill. Don’t worry about me.” Tao rubbed his red eyes to see Junghan a little more clearly. “Watch out for yourself though. She’s vile.” Junghan frowned threatening more tears as he thought of himself being put in Tao’s position.

                Tao got down on his knees and wrapped his arms around Junghan. “Thank you.”

                Junghan wanted to hug Tao back, but was too afraid of hurting him some more. He’d always thought Tao could fend for himself, but it was obvious now he needed Junghan to stay around in case Heiryung was to manipulate her power to enforce punishments again. Junghan was Tao’s last hope in the institute, no matter how much they might dislike each other.

                “I want you to stay.” Tao said wearily. “Stay here, and be my roommate. I can’t stand being alone anymore and-“ Junghan shook his head covering Tao’s mouth.

“I’ll stay.” 


*A/N: This isn't a promise for updates. I was in a good mood today though so I posted. I'll try to update during the summer since I have nothing else to really do. Not now though because of ISPs/Exams.