Onew

Lunatic

 

You froze after you closed the door behind you. Lee Jinki had wavy brown hair that brushed the tops of his eyebrows and was long enough to touch the collar of his shirt. He wore a business suit that showed the leanness of his body; but it sat on him uncomfortably, as if he was used to different clothing. He was fair and his plump lips rosy pink. There were lines about his brown eyes - smile lines. You began to wonder if he had dimples when he smiled.

Lee Jinki was calmly sitting in the metal chair, looking around the brightly lit room and humming to himself. The grimness of the room did not faze him; not the hard chair and its chains. He looked like a lost child who had found himself transported into a safe tour of the Tower of London, or something. He clearly seemed more excited than a man suffering from chest pains and specifically demanded admission into this hospital.

You fumbled with the switch on the wall and dropped the room into heavy darkness. You allowed for long minutes to pass before you the single light bulb, hanging above Jinki's head. When the light came back on, gone was his childish demeanour. Jinki was staring straight at you, even though you had remained in the darkness of the shadow. You silently moved along the wall, away from the door, and his brown eyes tracked you.

Of course he could see clearly in the dark.

You made your way to stand behind him. "Mr Lee," you greeted him but did not move into the light.

"Doctor?" he responded. He turned around in his seat at the sound of your voice behind him. "What is the meaning of this?"

You stayed within the shadows and moved around to the other side, making a full circuit of the room. He remained as he was, pretending to look out into the space behind his chair; yet, you could see his eyes follow you for most of the time.

"There appears to be an issue of the lighting. It happens and the facility manager is onto it," you made excuses. Jinki jumped at the sound of your voice, which was now coming from his side. You mentally applauded his acting skills.

"Oh, well," he said as he recollected himself and settled back into his chair; "At least we have this single light bulb working, hey?"

"Yes, it is fortunate indeed," you said. By now you were behind your own chair, and finally stepped into the circle of dirty yellow light.

You watched Jinki's eyes grow wide. His mouth worked - it opened and shut - but he uttered no sound. In the end, his lips were pressed together and his eyes narrowed into accusing slits.

"Now, let's talk about why you are here," you began again. You settled into your seat and pulled out a blank sheet from his file.

"Selene."

"What?" You looked up into his frowning face, "Who is Selene?"

"You're alive?" he breathed with what appeared to be relief. "What are you doing here? Do you know what happened? To Amber, Key, Minseok?! Selene... Luna! Is this because of Sulli? Does the Red Court know?"

You allowed him to exhaust his list of questions before you calmly answered his the accusing quiet. "I do not know these people you've just mentioned - Amber, Key, and I don't remember the rest - and I do not understand this 'Red Court'. I am Dr Luna and I am here to help you with your," and you made a show of looking at his file, "...chest pains? Now, precisely where does it hurt and can you describe the pain?"

Lee Jinki's face darkened during your speech; he was clearly becoming angry. His intense gaze burned across the distance from his and your seats.

"Selene."

"No, Dr Luna," you corrected him.

Then something happened; he made a decision and his face visibly relaxed and transformed to a polite gentleman. "Then, Dr Luna, I feel pain here." He pointed at a spot to the left of his sternum, at his heart.

You sighed. He was being over-dramatic; he doesn't have a functioning heart.

You stood up from your seat and walked back to the one-way window. You saw his still form in its reflection. His eyes never left you as you returned within the shadows of the tungsten light bulb. On the wall was a telephone, with a direct call to this level's guards. You picked it up and spoke softly to the operator.

"Who did you call?" Jinki asked.

"I am surprised you knew I was on the phone," you turned to face him. He stayed silent. "I am surprised that your heart hurts," you continued.

"I noticed that you hadn't checked that it was my heart, Doctor," he pointed out.

"True," you conceded. Just then, a knock sounded on the door and you moved towards it. "But then, I am not really surprised that you can see me, even now, in the dark; because vampires have excellent night vision. And vampires do not have a functioning cardio-vascular system, so I wonder how your heart can be in 'pain'."

You looked back at Lee Jinki, trapped within the circle of light above him, and stopped in shock. Gone was his anger; an incredible sadness hung in his hunched shoulders and downturned eyes. He looked up and caught your wide eyes with his own.

"Who are you?" he asked.

There was another knock and you absently opened the door. Two burly 'guards' (who were actually specially-trained military soldiers) quickly moved in and stood at Jinki's side. Both gripped at Jinki's arms and lifted him to his feet. Jinki wordlessly obeyed and they walked back to the door. Jinki would be taken to his private 'room' for observation, until your next consultation.

He looked back at you as he was escorted down the hallway.

You carefully shut the door behind them and slid down against the wall and onto the floor. All of the lights were switched off and left you in the complete darkness. Shudders shook through you and you rocked yourself, deliberately hitting the back of your head against the wall. You muted your cries with the back of your hand.

"Why? Why? Oh god, why are you here?!"

A brush of air caressed your face and you desperately blocked out its whisper.

... Onew.