Supernatural

Lunatic

 

"He just would not listen!" Jocelyn loudly complained. She took a long pull of her ice coffee before starting up her rant again. "I explained to him for - I swear to god! - the tenth, no maybe the twentieth! time that he simply could not be pregnant, no matter how hot the was and no matter how many times he had inside. It was not biologically possible, I told him. I said, your was not connected to some magical womb that you had magically acquired because of your uality!"

You stirred your coffee and made sympathetic noises as you listened to Jocelyn continue her latest tale-of-horror. Jocelyn was stationed on Level 6 of Nabi Hospital and she had attached herself to your side on your first day as a resident. You had just finished your own exasperated argument with a relative of one of your patients (something about requesting surgery for a second head so the patient "wouldn't be so dumb"). Jocelyn had patted your back in sympathy and suggested that you and she go out for something alcoholic, because she also had a tough day.

"Why are these supernaturals so... crazy!" Jocelyn ended her rant about male pregnancy.

"Could it actually be possible that he is pregnant, since he is a supernatural and all?" you asked.

Jocelyn shook her head in a negative. "We had done a full body scan when he was admitted; he is structured like a human."

"Ah, then," and you shrugged "The supernaturals are just coo coo."

Jocelyn gave an appreciative laugh and finished off her drink. "Yeah, well, at least they provide colourful entertainment during the day. Let's get back," she said and you nodded agreement. The two of you stood up from your table in the small cafe, leaving your now-empty cups for the waiters to collect. You checked your pockets for your hospital ID and loose change.

Nabi Hospital was only down the road. On the outside, it looked like any other private hospital: sophisticated in its glass and steel, and atheistically pleasant with lush gardens scattered about the grounds. The facade was extended into the first few floors of the hospital building, where the general public and visitors are allowed entry. On the levels above the fifth floor, however, was a sterile and militaristic operation. That is because Nabi Hospital was in fact a secret government organisation that researched supernatural beings.

Humans were living alongside supernatural beings, such as werewolves, vampires, ghouls and what-nots, for centuries. And typical of the human race, they were largely unnoticed until a great 'Supernatural Event' happened; like a war between species or a rampage by a lone idealist who believed that supernaturals were a minority that needed to be recognised by the world. And each time, the human government responded and suppressed their influence on the human race.

This century, humans had acquired enough knowledge to identify supernaturals on a molecular level. A small research group in Norway had discovered an unusual protein made by their Ice Monsters; and the Chinese military police confirmed the protein in the largest clan of Chinese Vampires. In response, South Korea established Nabi Hospital as their core facility on all things supernatural. The patients were 'recommended' to Nabi Hospital when the protein was detected in a mandatory blood screen, during admissions into all hospitals and clinics across the country. These patients were admitted for overnight stays and 'treated'. The hospital's mandate was to limit the spread of supernaturals into the human population. The ultimate aim was genocide.

You and Jocelyn entered the deceiving front doors of Nabi Hospital and joined other staff in the elevator. You punched the button for Level 14.

 

 

--- --- ---

 
 
"Dr Luna," a nurse called for your attention as you exited from the elevator. You walked to the nurses' station, curious about the strained expression on her face. "I am sorry Doctor, but a situation arose whilst you were out." She stopped and nervously looked down the corridor. You gave her a gentle smile to encourage her to continue. "The Director said it was ok; certainly it is unusual..."

The nurse was making no sense. "What is it?" you asked her, "Tell me clearly, in order of what happened."

She nodded and answered in a big rush. "The reception downstairs had an incident: someone had come in and demanded to be admitted for chest pains, but he had no referral letter. He wouldn't listen when he was told that he needed a referral. But he had a blood test result sheet with him, and he has high concentrations of the special protein; so downstairs had no other option to admit him as a patient. The problem though is that he wouldn't answer the questionnaire so we don't know what kind he is. None of the doctors would take him and the Director said that you could be responsible for him... and so he is waiting for you in your room." The nurse finished her explanation in a small apologetic voice.

You sighed and recognised the hazing the other doctors were giving you as the newest employee. "It's ok, I will take care of it," you reassured the nurse and took the file she had ready for you.

You flipped through the file as you made your way to Room 1407. The man's name was Lee Jinki, 25 years old. As the nurse had said, the blood test showed the presence of the supernatural protein and the carefully worded questionnaire was left blank, except for a scrawled signature at the bottom. You began to chew your bottom lip as you mentally listed the tests you would need to run to determine the kind of supernatural he was, without necessarily tipping him off on what you're doing. Like Jocelyn’s mpreg patient, most patients did not know they were supernatural and were often half-breeds. If they were aware of their unhuman being, then more experienced officers dealt with them and in far more secure rooms. 

A gust of cold air brushed the back of your neck.

You stopped and looked behind you, but saw nothing and no one. To your left, a light globe briefly flickered.

You made another quick glance behind you and rubbed at the goose bumps on your arms. 'It's probably the air conditioning,' you reasoned with yourself and continued towards Room 1407.

Then, the lights in front of you, all along the hallway, turned blood red.

The brush of cold air returned and circled you like a tornado. Within the wind you could make out a voice chanting a name; 'Onew, Onew, Onew, Onew, Onew...' The voice layered upon itself and soon became a wordless scream.

"Please, stop!" you swayed and begged. You dropped the papers and blindly reached out to hold onto something.

'SELENE, ONEW!' came the final clear words before the apparition dispersed and the lights returned to their sterile white glare.

"Dr Luna?" the nurse called out from her station; "Dr Luna, are you ok?"

You found yourself holding onto a door handle and desperately tried to regain control of yourself. The voice was the same as that you had heard during your induction. It was a major surprise that it returned, and with such ferocity.

"Doctor?"

"I'm ok," you called back. You bent down and collected the file from the floor. Now was not the time to panic about a supernatural event; not when there was a supernatural mystery in your consultation room.

You made the final steps to Room 1407. The red light of the CCTV camera blinked back at you.

"Here goes nothing," you murmured to yourself; and entered the room with the curious man named Lee Jinki.