I Lost My Head in San Francisco

A Very Long Way From Home [HIATUS]

The next day, Jonghyun had Taemin and Key over to explain to them what was happening. 

"...America?!" Taemin and Key gasped at the same time. 

"Neh. You both know there's no one else in the world for me. I'm going and it's final." Jonghyun said, adamantly. 

"When?" Taemin asked. 

"In three days." Jonghyun answered. 

"Three days?! Hyung, do you even know where in America she is? Have you bought your ticket? Do you have living arrangements? Did you take care of school? What about your family? Your apartment? Have you packed? Have you researched anything? Do you know any English?!" Key exclaimed. 

Jonghyun felt himself get pain in his head from Key's millions of questions. 

"Hyori's friends are seeing where she could have gone. I'll know tonight and I'll book the ticket. I'll pack everything I need, Key you can help me if you want to. I'll get all my international papers and such together and if I tell my parents that I'm doing something school related, they'll help me out with the living arrangements. I know it's crazy, but I need to do this." Jonghyun said. In that moment, Jonghyun sounded almost responsible. It calmed Key down a bit to know that there was a bit of thought going into his insane and very last minute plan. 

Just then, Jonghyun's phone began to ring. It was Dam Bi. 

"Neh? What have you found?" Jonghyun asked anxiously. 

"Not much. There are so many places she could be. I went through a lot to find this information, but I still don't know much. She has an Aunt living in San Francisco, in California. She has family friends living in Portland, Oregon, she spent a semester abroad in two years ago in New York City. She used to say though, went she visited America for the first time, that Washington DC was one of her favorite places. Jonghyun ah, she could really be anywhere." Dam Bi explained. 

"I'll find her." Jonghyun said with an unwaveringly determined voice. "Thank you, Dam Bi noona." He added. 

Jonghyun hung up and turned to Taemin and Key, who looked extremely nervous. "There are a lot of places she could be. California, Oregon, New York, Washington DC, but those are only possibilities." Jonghyun said, trying not to cry. 

"Then you start there." Key said as he pulled up a map of the US. "Fly to California and begin there. See how you can get around to the other places. Oh! Go to a hotel! Stay in a hotel and use your best English to communicate. Find out how to get around. Then from there go to Oregon which is north of California. I'm not sure what to do from there. New York City is all the way across the country from there." Key said, trying to be practical about everything. 

The rest of the night was used to plan Jonghyun's first leg of the journey, to California. Key helped him pack and prepare all of his international papers, as well as book his ticket. It was concerning that Jonghyun didn't know when he would be back, but in all honesty it didn't bother him. As long as he kept his goal in mind. Finding his girlfriend. Taemin then helped Jonghyun formulate a lie to tell his parents. He ended up telling his parents that Hyori went to America for a bit and that she showed him a very cool opportunity to travel there as well. He said that exposing himself to American music and the industry, as well as making connections there could really help his career. Jonghyun's parents, rich as they were busy, completely bought it and without a second thought, said that they would pay for whatever he needed. Jonghyun of course had money on his own, but it wouldn't hurt to get financial help. Jonghyun also explained that he would be gone depending on how long they needed him, and his parents understood. 

Now, Jonghyun had to take care of college. College had just started back, so he figured it wouldn't be a problem explaining that he, in order to work and get real life experience was taking a gap year and traveling abroad, which was not a lie, but it certainly was not for the academic and work purposes Jonghyun had led administration to believe. He felt awful for conjuring up lie after lie, but he had to do it, and since he knew that no questions would be asked, he couldn't worry about it. 

Jonghyun spent the next two days making sure he had everything set. 

The next morning, when Jonghyun woke up, it was still dark outside. It was 3:30 am. Jonghyun's flight was at 5 am. From Seoul to LAX was about a 12 hour flight and then an hour and a half connection flight from Los Angeles to San Francisco. Jonghyun sighed at the long journey that was ahead of him. While he was determined, he hated flying in planes, he was very uncomfortable with how little he knew about America and the English language. However, he was ready to take as much time as he needed to figure it out and find Hyori. 

The flight was sort of a blur for Jonghyun. He slept for most of it, disregarding the time change. When the plane landed at LAX, it was 1 am there. The sixteen hour time difference was the least of his concerns. Jonghyun was dead tired. He headed towards the gate for his connection flight, having a lot of trouble understanding what was going on. There was so much English, and even if there was Korean on any of the signs, it was small. Everything was unfamiliar and loud. His connection flight to San Francisco was departing at 3 am, which gave Jonghyun, after going through customs and all that, no time to sleep or sit down even. There was a large line already formed to board the plane. While he couldn't understand most of the English that the people at the gate were saying, he knew the numbers they were calling. 

The connection flight was short, but it felt like forever. Jonghyun was astounded at how much he didn't know. He coulnd't read any of the handouts on the plane, except the one with pictures of how to use flotation devices and life vests, he pretended to be asleep when he saw the flight attendent approach his row to ask if he needed anything because he was so nervous about speaking English. 

Jonghyun had the name of the hotel he was going to be staying at written in his phone. After landing, getting his luggage, and exchanging his KRW to USD, he would have to go hail a taxi and tell him the hotel he needed to go to. Key, who was pretty good at English, helped Jonghyun practice what to say and how to pay the taxi driver. 

After much trouble finding the right baggage claim and a bit of trouble exchanging currency, Jonghyun made his way to the closest exit. The cool San Francisco breeze hit him as he walked to the curb. There were not too many people outside, so hopefully it wouldn't take long for him to grab a taxi. Jonghyun held his hand out and waved over a taxi just like Key had told him to do. Jonghyun got into the back of the taxi. The man driving was young and obviously American. 

"Where are you off to?" The driver asked in a quiet tone. Jonghyun immediately began to feel his heart race. Would English words come out of his mouth?

"To...Fairmont San Francisco Hotel...please." Jonghyun said softly in his best English. The driver looked at Jonghyun thinking that he looked like a student, and was surprised that a student would be staying in a five star hotel. The driver nodded and off they went. 

The sun had risen almost fully and Jonghyun looked out the window. San Francisco was really quite beautiful. Tall buildings, stacked apartments, and shops lined the streets. The streets were very hilly and what interested Jonghyun the most was the cable car line that ran through the streets and the beautiful serene view of the water. 

The driver knew that Jonghyun was foreign and decided to make him more comfortable. 

"Where are you from?" The driver asked. 

Luckily, Jonghyun knew what this meant. 

"South Korea." Jonghyun answered. 

"First time visiting San Fran?" The driver asked. 

"Um. Yes." Jonghyun said, kind of knowing what the driver asked, but stuck with the simple answer just to be safe. 

They pulled up at the beautiful hotel and Jonghyun paid the cab fare. 

Jonghyun walked into the hotel and the lobby was ornate, and shining with gold. 

There was a group of people checking in and Jonghyun decided to take a seat on one of the couches so he could text Key and Taemin that he had arrived and to also take a few breaths and relax his aching feet. Jonghyun knew that he had to contact Hyori's aunt, which would be an uncomfortable conversation. He also though, after discovering how pretty the city was, wanted to explore while he was waiting for answers. However, he needed someone to help him. Key couldn't always be there to help out with English questions and Key didn't know much about America either. He needed a guide. Not just in California but on his journey. Where the hell would he find a person that would be willing to travel around with him, who could speak not only English but also Korean? It would be impossible. 

Just then, a very lost Jonghyun spotted a young-looking Korean man coming through a door and going behind the lovely, polished front desk. As a woman approached the desk to ask for a replacement key, Jonghyun saw the man give the woman a megawatt smile. The young man then began to speak in what Jonghyun knew was English, but Jonghyun had no idea what he was saying. After the woman left the front desk, Jonghyun approached it. The man was turned around talking to another employee in English. 

"Excuse me." Jonghyun said in formal Korean. 

The young man turned around and gave another megawatt smile, even more brilliant now that Jonghyun was closer up. 

"May I help you?" The man, who looked younger close up, asked politely back in Korean, not knowing if Jonghyun was older or younger than him.  

"I was wondering if you could help me with something..." Jonghyun said nervously. 

"What can I help you with?" The young man asked. 

"It's kind of a long story, and I know this sounds weird, but I am desperate to talk to someone in Korean. Do you have time?" 

The young man scanned Jonghyun up and down. He thought the very exhausted lost puppy standing in front of him was very handsome, but had a lot of saddness in his sharp features. 

"Um. I think so. Not many people are checking in so early in the morning. I'll go ask if I can take a quick break. My name in Lee Jinki, by the way. May I ask how old you are?" Jinki asked Jonghyun.

"I'm 21." Jonghyun answered. 

"Oh! I'm your hyung then! I'm 24. Lemme ask if I can take a break." Jinki said smiling. Jinki did not know why he was doing this. The guy in front of him was a complete stranger. But there was something about the Jonghyun's eyes that got him. They were so beautiful, but held so much pain. Jinki couldn't help but want to help him. 

After a few minutes, Jinki came back. "I have the morning off. Can I check you into your room before we go talk? What's your name?" Jinki asked. 

"Kim Jonghyun." Jonghyun replied. 

"Ah there you are. Room 408. You have this room reserved for...a month?!" Jinki said in surprise. 

"I told you. It's a long story, Jinki hyung." Jonghyun said. The feeling of calling someone hyung felt warm and familiar.

Jinki lead them to an empty conference room. Jonghyun put his stuff down and sat on the couch, sighing as he felt his body relax into the comfortable fabric. Jinki handed him a water bottle and smiled, telling Jonghyun that it was time to tell his story. 

After an hour and a half of talking, Jinki knew everything. "Jonghyun ah...that's extremely sweet of you." Jinki said, almost tearing up at the sad story. 

Jonghyun blushed and felt his heart flutter a bit. Jonghyun just thought that it was because he was so surprised that Jinki was being so nice to him even though they were strangers. 

"So you are here for a month and if you don't find her, you are going to move onto the next place?" Jinki asked.

"Yeah. I have to find her." Jonghyun said. 

"How are you going to get around?" 

"I haven't thought about that..." Jonghyun said. He decided to change the subject. "How long have you lived in America?" Jonghyun asked. 

"I was born here. My parents are chefs here at the hotel and while I'm figuring out what to do with my life, I work here." Jinki explained. 

"You don't seem to love working here." Jonghyun said boldly. 

"You're right." Jinki answered, confused as to why he was telling this all to a complete stranger. He was just so easy to talk to. 

"So what do you want to do?" Jonghyun asked. 

"Travel...and sing." Jinki answered. 

"You're a singer?!" Jonghyun exclaimed. "I sing too!" Jonghyun said happy that they have something in common. 

"It's the best, neh?" Jinki asked, smiling. Jonghyun's heart fluttered again. 

"Uh...yeah. It...it is." Jonghyun said. Jonghyun didn't know how to go about asking Jinki if he would be his guide. Just then, Jinki seemed to read his mind. 

"This is gonna sound crazy. But you seem a little crazy yourself." Jinki began. "I speak English and Korean, I want to travel and you need to find your girl. I don't like my job and I also own my own car. I'm the man for your job." Jinki smiled. 

"Hyung...did you just read my mind? I was gonna ask you if you could help me." Jonghyun said, very surprised. 

"Not sure if you'll find someone else willing to do this. You're gonna see this place in a whole new light. Seems like we both need some adventure in our lives, am I right Mr. Korea?" Jinki asked. 

"Uh yeah." Jonghyun said smiling. 

Jinki and Jonghyun talked for a long while until Jinki had to go back to work. Jonghyun went up to his room, which turned out to be amazing, and slept. The two were meeting for dinner that night. They had a lot to discuss.

 

A/N: Yay~ Jinki showed up and Jjong's heart fluttered omo^^ Hope you enjoyed this chapter!! :DD thanks for reading.