Distance

A Very Long Way From Home [HIATUS]

Jonghyun woke up that morning even earlier than usual for a very good reason. Today was the day his beautiful and perfect girlfriend, the one who he was absolutely sure he would marry some day soon, was coming home after a month of cultural immersion and humanitarian work in India and he had been awaiting and missing her since the minute she drove away from his apartment in a taxi, the day of her departure. 

It was about 5 am and Jonghyun had a lot to do before heading to the airport to welcome his Hyori. He first off, had to attend his college lectures for the day. He then had to clean the apartment. After that, he had to pay off some of his student loans, safely deliver his puppy to his best friends' apartment so he could be safe while Jonghyun was out, and then he was going to pick Hyori up. 

Jonghyun sighed contently as he looked around his dim bedroom. Everything about his apartment relaxed him and nothing was ever out of place. He liked it that way. Jonghyun hopped off the bed, took a shower, brushed his teeth, dressed himself and went to his apartment's surprisingly large kitchen. He fed his cute little puppy who had fallen asleep in his bed in the kitchen. He took out leftover kimchi that his chef of a friend, Kibum, cooked for him from his cute white kimchi fridge that was implanted into the wall below the microwave and above his Keroro drink cooler. He then prepared his rice by cleaning it and promptly put it into his handy-dandy rice cooker, one kitchen appliance he was very good at using. Jonghyun could walk around his apartment and find everything blindfolded. 

He sat on one of the colorful stools at the kitchen island looking at the airline app on his phone. He wanted to know where Hyori's plane currently was and what was the ETA of the flight. The rice cooker dinged and Jonghyun ladeled a scoop of rice into a small bowl. He topped it with Kibum's kimchi and quickly shoveled his food down after noticing that he had to get to his 7 am lecture. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Jonghyun drove his cute red SmartCar that his mum and dad had bought him for getting into Seoul University to the performing and visual arts building. He parked his car and went into the lobby of the arts center. There, he saw many of his friends. After walking towards his classroom for his music theory class, he saw his other best friend Taemin standing in front of the vending machine, trying to get back his money that the machine ate. 

"Taemin!" Jonghyun called out. 

The taller, but younger boy turned around and smiled. "Hey hyung! The damn robot ate my money!" 

"Sorry about that." Jonghyun chuckled. "Anyway, Taemin, sorry I couldn't come to dinner last night, I had a lot of work to do." Jonghyun apologized. 

"It's fine. It wasn't like you missed anything, you're the life of the party after all." Taemin teased. "Oh! Key hyung saved you leftovers from last night so when you drop off that cute puppy of yours, take some home with you. He made way too much." Taemin said. 

"Thank god! I would be lost without his cooking. So would you, though." Jonghyun said "When are you two getting married?" Jonghyun said suddenly, knowing exactly what Taemin's reaction would be. 

"Y..yah! We're best friends...the three of us! You know that! We're flatmates!" Taemin squeaked, having a very hard time controlling his blushing. Jonghyun laughed, knowing how much Taemin liked Key. Jonghyun hoped one day, Taemin and Key would get together so they could be as happy and Hyori and him. 

"Anyway..." Taemin changed the subject. "Hyori is coming back today, neh?" Taemin asked. 

"Neh! I can't wait~" Jonghyun sang. Taemin chuckled at their cute relationship. 

"Ah Taemin! I'm about to be late for class! Have fun at dance!" Jonghyun yelled as he ran down the hall to the lecture room. 

The lecture wasn't the most interesting thing he's ever listened to, but it was helpful and the teacher gave them a project that wasn't due for months. 

After another three lectures all in a row, Jonghyun's brain was fried and his hand cramped from typing and writing notes. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

He drove back to his apartment and began to clean. He did the laundry, swept the floor, emptied the dishwasher, vacuumed his fluffy carpet in the living area, changed the bed sheets, and cleaned the double bathroom, making sure all of Hyori's stuff was organized. They techically did not live together. She had her own apartment about five minutes away, but Jonghyun's apartment was built for two, so she stayed there a lot of the time. 

He was exhausted after cleaning, but he still had a lot to do. He picked up his puppy and put him on his lap as he paid his student loans electronically. While he was at it, he paid his rent as well. Jonghyun then got up, went to the front closet to grab the bag full of stuff his puppy needed, and he headed to Key and Taemin's apartment which was actually really close to the University. Jonghyun arrived at the apartment door and could a lot of clattering. 

"Not that spoon! The other one!" Jonghyun could hear Key say sternly. 

"A spoon is a spoon!" Taemin said back. 

"Fine. At least go get that pot off the rack." Key sighed. 

"This one?" Taemin asked. 

"NO NO! NOT THE ONE AT THE BOTTOM!" Key yelled as there was a huge crash. 

Jonghyun was very worried for Taemin's safety so he decided press the button on the little keypad near the door. 

"I'm coming!" Taemin said frantically. 

Taemin opened the door and the puppy ran in. "Hyung! Please save me!" Taemin begged. 

Jonghyun walked into the apartment with caution to find what he thought was going to be the Key from hell, was a happy looking Key, playing with the adorable puppy in the living room. 

"Hey Key!" Jonghyun said. 

"Jjong! You're puppy gets cuter and cuter everytime I see him!" Key squealed. 

"What was all the noise?" Jonghyun asked. Key glared at Taemin, who hung his head. 

"I let him help me once in the kitchen and he knocks over everything!" Key exclaimed. 

"I'm sorry Key hyung." Taemin apologized, really wanting Key to not be mad at him. 

"Yeah Key, give him a break! it's not our fault we're not as good in the kitchen as you." Jonghyun defended Taemin. 

"Sorry I yelled." Key said softly, making Taemin smile. 

"Taemin says you got some food for me~" Jonghyun said cheekily.

"Oh yeah! I made too much. It's all wrapped up for you. Lemme go grab it." Key said as he tore himself away from the spellbindingly cute puppy. 

Key came back with two wrapped lunchboxes full of delicious food. Jonghyun got so excited. 

"When are you gonna start your restaurant?! You're food is the best!" Jonghyun said, savoring the smell of the food in his hands. 

"Not until I can prove to my dad that it's a good career choice." Key said sadly. 

"Taemin and I believe in you." Jonghyun said, patting Key's shoulder while Taemin nodded in agreement. 

"Hyori's coming home, isn't she?" Key asked, sounding definitely not as happy as Taemin did when he asked. 

"Uh yeah." Jonghyun said, confused at the tone. "Anyway, thanks for the food, and thanks for taking care of my cutie. I'll get going. Bye you two!" Jonghyun said as he walked out of the apartment. 

When Jonghyun left, Taemin turned to Key. 

"Do you not like Hyori noona?" Taemin asked. 

"I never have. She flirts when Jonghyun's not around, hell she's flirted with you and me! She also knows that Jonghyun has a wealthy family. I just don't trust her, you know? Until i see her be genuine, I just can't. What she does always seems like an act, she's a mystery to me. But, because she makes Jonghyun so happy I keep giving her chances." Key said. 

"You don't like Jonghyun hyung, do you?" Taemin asked, scared at what the answer was going to be. 

"Of course not! I have someone else I like." Key said, winking at Taemin. 

Taemin, always the naiive one, didn't know what that meant. Key hoped Taemin would understand. ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Jonghyun was now on his way to the airport to pick Hyori up. 

About an hour later, at the baggage claim, down the escelator, came the most beautiful girl. She was a perfect height, slim but fit, and had princess-like facial features, not to mention an incredible head of long black wavy hair. She was stylish and very confident looking. Now that she was back from India, she had a bit of a sunkist tone to her skin which made her glow. She was Lee Hyori, the girl that Jonghyun was so very in love with. 

Jonghyun smiled and waved and Hyori sent him back a small smile. She looked tired and there was something about her that seemed different. Jonghyun thought it was just because of a month of hard work and the flight. 

Jonghyun embraced and kissed her and said how much he missed her. He immediately wanted to ask her all about her month away, but she said she was very tired and asked him if he minded if they went home to sleep. Although Jonghyun originally wanted to take her out to dinner, he was happy with doing whatever she wanted. 

Hyori fell asleep immediately. Jonghyun just sat next to her, her soft hair. She didn't look content and happy the way she usually looked when she slept. She looked older, more tired than ever, drained, and disturbed, still beautiful, but disturbed. Jonghyun hoped everything was ok. He would ask Hyori when she felt like talking about it. 

Jonghyun called Taemin to ask him if he and Key could take care of the puppy overnight. He then fell asleep wondering what was wrong with his love. 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

It had been three weeks since Hyori came back from her trip. She was quieter, distant, almost zombie like. She was never angry or irritable, but she seemed to never want to do anything anymore. Jonghyun asked and asked but she never answered. She said she was fine. She was back at work and taking classes. She worked longer hours than before, had a busier schedule, and almost never answered her phone when Jonghyun called or texted her. She also began staying more in her apartment, claiming that she didn't know why she was out of it and she just wanted to sleep. She worked and slept a lot and it almost seemed like she was avoiding Jonghyun. 

Another two weeks passed like this and Jonghyun had tried everything. He even called her two best friends, Dam Bi and Ailee, but they told him nothing. He could tell however, the way Dam Bi spoke, that she knew more than she was letting on. 

And suddenly about a week later, when Jonghyun came back from class, she was gone. There were no clothes in the closet, nothing of hers in the drawers, her side of the bathroom completely cleaned out, none of her movies, CD's, makeup, shoes, sunglasses, showerproducts, perfumes, purses, or anything was left. Jonghyun was hysterical at this point. There was no note from her, no texts, no calls. Her phone went right to voicemail. He drove like a mad man to her apartment and kept banging on the door until his knuckles were almost bleeding. The landlady told him she had moved out. She didn't know the reason. 

Jonghyun called Key and Taemin, scared, confused, and crying on the phone. They came over immediately to find out what happened. They too were baffled. Jonghyun didn't want to call the police. She wasn't taken, she moved out, taking all of her stuff with her. 

On the third night after Hyori disappeared, Jonghyun received a call from Dam Bi. 

"Jonghyun ah." Dam Bi said sadly. 

"Where is she?" Jonghyun demanded. 

"All I know is that she went to America. I don't even know the reason. I'm sorry I didn't tell you before, she told us not to, but I want my best friend back and you want her back as well. Please, I'm so worried, I want to know she's okay." Dam Bi sobbed into the phone. 

After the conversation, Jonghyun made his decision. He was going to go to America to find her. 

 

A/N: Hope you enjoyed the first chapter! I'm updating this along with my other stories so I'll try my best to update asap.^^