Save Me, San Francisco

A Very Long Way From Home [HIATUS]

"What are the possible places?" Onew asked as Jonghyun sat down at the cafe table. After Jonghyun had slept for the whole day, he freshened up and went downstairs to meet Onew for dinner at the hotel cafe to discuss their sudden adventure. Jonghyun was rediculously happy that he had found Onew. Who else in the entire world would do this for him? He knew that if Key and Taemin didn't have all their stuff, they would do it, but he couldn't believe that he had found someone so nice, so caring, so fluent in English and Korean. Another thing about Onew was that he relaxed Jonghyun. Onew was so easy to talk to and he made Jonghyun feel less homesick and more energized to find his girl. 

Jonghyun sighed and smiled tiredly at Onew as he sat down. The slight smile on Onew's lips yet again causing Jonghyun's heart to flutter.

"Here and if not here, Portland, or New York, or Washington DC." Jonghyun said, trying to wrap his head around the uncertainty of his journey. 

"Those are big cities, Jonghyun. What if her family or friends don't know or won't tell you? How..." Onew began, concernedly. 

"Hyung I know. I'm crazy for doing this, but I love her. More than anything. You understand that don't you?" Jonghyun asked. 

Onew shuddered a bit, wincing at a painful memory that Jonghyun's words had just brought up. "What if she doesn't want to be found?" Onew asked softly, looking down. 

"Bwo?!" Jonghyun asked surprised, and a bit angry. "How could you say that?!" Jonghyun hissed. 

"Jonghyun, I have witnessed a situation like this before. I know...or I guess I knew someone that did this. They ran away and they didn't want to be found." Onew said sadly. "I just don't want you to get hurt." 

"I know hyung. I'm sorry for getting angry. Was it your girlfriend?" Jonghyun asked, noticing the pain in Onew's eyes. 

"My brother actually." Onew replied. Jonghyun's eyes widened. 

"Where did he go?" Jonghyun asked. 

"To Korea. He's in university by now. We haven't seen him for seven years. He told me before he left he was going to live with our grandparents one day. I didn't know he would actually leave. Anyway...Jonghyun let's talk about you and what we're gonna do okay?" Onew said, trying really hard not to cry. 

"No hyung. Tell me what happened. Why did he run away?" 

"You're not homophobic, are you?" Onew asked, a few tears slipping from his eyes. 

"Not at all. My two best friends are gay." Jonghyun said, reassuring Onew. 

"Ok, well, my little brother is gay and I am too. I came out to my mom a long time ago, probably close to nine years ago. But my dad, he's not outwardly homophobic, but if he found out both his sons were gay, he would resent both of us and wouldn't speak to us. My mom actually kept my uality a secret. My brother wanted to tell my parents, but I didn't want him telling my dad before I did. I wanted to take the bulk of whatever my father would do. I wanted to protect my little brother. On the day he came out to my mom, my dad heard it. My dad acted like my thirteen year old brother didn't exist. He ignored him completely and erased him from his life. I felt so awful, I should have told my dad long before. I told my dad and tried to convince him that we were loyal sons and that we wouldn't disappoint him. He didn't listen, and it ate at my little brother, so he left and he doesn't want to be found. I hope that one day I can go to Korea and find him." Onew said, now crying quietly. 

Jonghyun's heart clenched. This amazing stranger sitting in front of him has suffered from losing a brother for eight years and a dad that resents him. Jonghyun also began to panic, worried that maybe Hyori wouldn't want to be found. 

"Jonghyun, I'm sure if you love each other that much, she will want you to come after her. I'm sorry I said that. I shouldn't project on your life. If she just packed up without telling you, she's suffering from something." Onew said, smiling through teary eyes. 

"I'm sorry hyung...I hope you find your brother." Jonghyun said, feeling awful. 

"Thanks Jjong ah." Onew smiled. Jonghyun blushed a bit at the cute nickname. You're tired Jonghyun. He's a guy and you're a guy. You have Hyori. 

After discussing for a few hours, Jonghyun and Onew were going to call Hyori's aunt and try to meet with her in the morning. If she didn't know where Hyori was, perhaps she would know something that could help them, like how she was doing or who her friends were who lived in Portland. If she wasn't in San Francisco, they had to pack up Onew's car and drive north to Portland. 

In case they ended up having to go across the country, they mapped their journey. Onew pointed out all of the destinations and what was cool about them. Jonghyun couldn't believe how long the journey was from Portland to New York City. Even though their main goal was to find Hyori, Onew thought Jonghyun needed to experience America. Jonghyun figured it could lift the stress, and Onew seemed like a cool guy. They were going to go from San Fran to Portland. Luckily, Onew actually had an old friend who lived in Portland, so he would call him if he needed any help. From Portland they would go to Seattle in Washington. Then from there to Helena in Montana. From Helena they were going to go to Bismarck in North Dakota. From there they were going to go to Minneapolis in Minnesota, then Des Moines in Iowa, then to Chicago in Illinois, then they were going to drive along the Great Lakes from Chicago to Cleveland in Ohio. From Cleveland they were headed to Pittsburgh in Pennsylvania and finally to New York where they would take the ferry to Manhattan. If their journey continued from there, they would drive south to Philadelphia in Pennsylvania and finally end the trip in DC. Of course Jonghyun hoped to find her long before that, but just in case, it was important to plan. 

Onew had everything set. He told his parents that he was going to pursue music and travel. He had a lot of money saved up, and while his parents weren't sure of his decision, Onew didn't care. He needed to get away and this was his chance. He hoped that one day he would get a real job and make enough money to go find his brother. 

When Onew and Jonghyun said goodbye to each other for the night, it was already 1 am. The owner of the cafe knew Onew, so he had no problem keeping it open for them. 

Jonghyun thanked his new friend and guide and went up to his room to call Key. 

Ring ring!

"Jjong?" Key asked. "It's so late in California. What are you doing up?" Key asked. It was quiet so he must be in his apartment and it also meant Taemin wasn't there. 

"I found a guide. He's Korean and a little older and he speaks English and he's gonna help me! Luckily he works at this hotel" 

"That's crazy and great Jjong!" Key said. "Wait..." Key said suddenly, his voice deeper and more serious. 

"What Key?" Jonghyun asked nervously. 

"Jonghyun what is his name?" Key demanded. 

"Wh...his name is Lee Jinki...but his nickname is Onew." Jonghyun said confusedly, heart beating fast, not knowing why Key was being like this. 

"Are you...Lee Jinki? You met Onew?!" Key gasped. 

"You know him? How do you..." 

"Jonghyun do you know where Taemin was born?" Key asked. 

"No..." Jonghyun said. 

"He was born in California and lived in San Francisco when he was little." Key said, implying something, hoping Jonghyun would catch on. 

"He was? Why didn't he come with me then?" Jonghyun laughed nervously, still noting the tone of Key's voice. 

"Taemin moved to Korea. Seven years ago. Do you know why?" Key asked impatiently. 

"..." Jonghyun still had no idea. 

"He ran away from his father, leaving his family behind to come live in Korea with his grandparents who were more accepting of him. He left behind an older brother..." Key said. 

 

A/N: Hi!!! Sorry for late update. But oh man everythings connected!! Also who could be this friend of Onew's in portland eh? Hope you enjoyed this chapter^^ Hope to update soon.