025

Yuna Inspired: Our Virtual Family
Please log in to read the full chapter

“You’re not leaving?” Mirai asked Ryosuke when she noticed that everyone but him was packing up to leave.

They had been here since two in the afternoon and had had a very depressing conversation regarding Minami, Natsu’s biological mother, who had died immediately after giving birth. This brought up a question from Ryosuke, who found it impossible to believe since it was the mother who had dropped off Natsu at their doorstep with a letter that blamed him as the father. With that piece of information, the case was in the air as to what was possibly the truth because Kota didn’t have an answer.

Kota had explained that, based on what he had gathered so far, the place he was currently living was close to the last place Minami was last at, and he had coincidentally came across an elderly couple talking about her death because the immediate family was visiting her grave. Of course, he didn’t tell them the whole truth, that he was actually living with Minami’s family.

When Ryosuke asked his brother about why he and Mirai weren’t told of this, Kota answered that he had only found out recently and then the accident happened, so there was no better time to tell. This was the only truth he had informed them of.

With that done and over with, the atmosphere became blue with only the gaga sounds of Natsu. Then, thanks to Shintaro’s curiosity, another case opened.

“What about Natsu’s biological father?”

Everyone’s but Kota’s eyes glowed. Of course, why hadn’t they thought of that? It took two to tango, so why were they only searching for the mother and not the father?

Ryosuke exclaimed, “That’s right! I’m not the dad, so his real dad’s out there, somewhere!”

Haruka gasped. “Ah, you have a point.” She pointed to Ryosuke. “You guys aren’t biologically related, and all along, we’ve been putting our focus on Minami-san.”

Mirai became hopeful that maybe Kota might have an answer for them, so she hastily asked, “Do you have anything on him?”

Kota froze, his breathing momentarily stopped, and his eyes widened a little. “H-his father?” His stammering confused the teens, who found it weird that he was taken aback. He looked back and forth between the son and the friends. “W-why should we look for the, umm, the-the father?”

Ryosuke glared at his brother with an arched brow. “To give him his son, of course.”

“Hey,” interrupted Mirai, “I-I…” She wanted to say something about giving Natsu back but knew it wasn’t her place to say anything at all.

Ryosuke faced her with the same expression he had for his brother. “What—don’t tell me you still want to keep him?”

She glanced away, trying hard to prove otherwise.

“Are you crazy? That man needs to know that he’s a father, that he fathered a kid, whether or not he intended to. If he doesn’t want Natsu, fine, you can keep him then, but we shouldn’t keep Natsu and his dad ignorant about their relationship.”

Hearing everything her friend had justifiably said, hurt her. Every inch, every ounce, every breath of hers knew she couldn’t do that to Natsu—take away his real family. She couldn’t hide him from them, and what if Natsu’s real father knew of his existence and was desperately searching for him?

She didn’t want to tear a family apart.

Besides, her “family” with Natsu was nothing but pretense. In other words, fake. Lies. Not true.

And it’d never be true.

Kota’s cell phone vibrated, breaking the tension between the virtual couple’s small spat. As he answered it, Shintaro said to the friends to leave for home because it was getting late. This dropped the conversation, and Mirai bade her friends goodbye.

“I’m staying with you,” said Ryosuke to Mirai but without eye contact with her. Instead, he picked his son up.

She whispered his name, “Ryosuke…”

“Hmm?”

She feared to say what she wanted to say but knew she had to say it. She wanted him to know it. “I don’t—I… It’s going to be hard for me…”

He slowly looked at her when he took notice of her tone.

“…when the time comes.” For Natsu to be taken away.

Still holding his son, he sat by the bedside, and with a free hand, he wrapped it behind her and pulled her in for a hug as he rested his chin on her crown. “I know. I know.”

She clenched onto his shirt while looking at her son drooling from the opposite of her. The innocent boy’s flashy smile eased her fear, and she tried to think positively about what she had learned today. They had spent one year together, and he had dented a special place in her heart with his cheerful laughs, woeful cries, and humorous actions. She tried not to imagine the day she’d have to give him back, but reality hit her, and when the picture was painted and burned into her mind, no matter how hard she blinked and closed her eyes, it haunted her because it was a reality she couldn’t escape.

*

Another week had passed, and Mirai’s wound had healed almost completely, so she was finally discharged. As she and Ryosuke, while holding hands and strolling Natsu in his stroller, walked to Kota’s car while Kota stayed behind to finish a few documents regarding her discharge, they came across Mirai’s parents outside the entrance. Ryosuke saw her father scornfully eye their clasped hands and was about to let go when her grip on his hand tightened, telling him that she didn’t mind, and neither did he have to worry about it.

“Mi-chan,” Mrs. Shida said with a light smile, “we heard you’re discharged today.”

Mirai smiled.

“H-how are you feeling?”

Mirai purposely raised hers and Ryosuke’s intertwined hands and boasted, “I’m great. My husband took great care of me. He never left me and was by my side.”

In response to this, Mr. Shida mockingly scoffed as he looked away.

“W-we were wondering,” said Mrs. Shida, “if you’d like—the both of you—would like to stay at our place for a while.”

The couple stood there in utter shock. They didn’t expect this, and what exactly were her parents thinking? Visiting them was already weird enough, letting alone inviting them to a place Mirai had sworn to never go back to.

“I just want to make sure that you’ve completely healed before I send you back.”

Mirai clutched onto the arm of Ryosuke with her other hand and pressed her upper body onto it. “Thanks, Mom.” She added a hesitant smile. “But the best place and only place I want to be at…is home with my husband and son.”

“I-I see.” She lightly chuckled. “Mi-chan, I—”

“Mom.” She paused after giving her mother a sincere look and then fixed her gaze at her stern father. “Dad… I’m really happy that you two still came for me after what had happened between us, but I’ve decided, and that decision won’t change no matter what.” She gently patted her son’s head and said to them, “My son needs me, and I need him more than ever.” She then turned her attention to her friend. “I’m married now, and although I understand your child will always be a child in your eyes…” she subconsciously squeezed his hand to send him an underlying message regarding their relationship with Natsu and the conversation they had had earlier, “there’s going to be a time where you’ve got to let go and… And let them grow. It’s time you do the watching, not the caring.” She took a deep breath and turned her interest back to her father. “And, Dad, I know you and Mom only want the best for me, so I want you to know this: Ryosuke and Natsu are the best for me. So, please, take back the restraining order.”

Ryosuke perked up and looked at her. “Y-you know? H-how?” He had forbidden his friends and brother from mentioning or bringing up the topic of his restraining order because he didn’t want to stress her out. More importantly, he didn’t want to make her remember that his Dad was who had caused the accident.

She softly nudged him at the back to notify him that his question wasn’t important. She said to her parents, “I can promise you that he didn’t hurt me, and he’ll never hurt me.” With a pretense tone of disappointment, she added, “He chose to marry me after all.” At her joke, everyone saw Mr. Shida almost cracking a smile. When she noticed Kota had exited from behind them, she sent her parents an assuring smile. “Mom, Dad. Thanks for everything.”

Kota paced his steps before reaching the virtual couple to silently and awkwardly greet the elders. He then waited at the sideline for the two couples to formally bade each other goodbye.

“Jaa,” Mrs. Shida began with watered-filled eyes, “t-take care.”

As the elder couple turned around and walked away, Mr. Shida stopped in his tracks and glanced back. “I already voided the order. That’s what I came here for…and,” his eyes shifted to Ryosuke, making Ryosuke flinch, “you, be the son-in-law I can be proud of.”

Mirai’s, Kota’s, and Ryosuke’s eyes enlarged, surprised.

Ryosuke was frozen at the first sort of praise he had received from his virtual father-in-law. I-I have to say something! He breathed in and then clearly shouted, “I’ll take extremely good care of your daughter!”

He and Mirai instantly locked eyes and shared a laugh, forgetting that Kota was behind them and envious.

As Kota’s eyes gradually lowered, his gaze landed at the giggling Natsu, who matched the wonderful picture of the three-member family he was in.

Kota clenched his fists. Your father…needs to man up.

*

“Kota-san, you’re still free tomorrow, right?” Mirai asked Kota before he stepped out of the door to leave.

They had arrived home immediately after the discharge—and after the accepting confrontation with the Shidas—and as per usual, Kota had other errands to catch up and had little time to spare since he was heading back to the countryside later that night.

Ryosuke heard her and glanced at them after taking Natsu’s shoes off and putting him down to play with his toys. “What about tomorrow?”

She instantly turned around as if she hadn’t expected him to hear about it. “I-I have to talk to him about something.” She scratched the side of her jaw.

“About what?”

“Something.”

“As in?”

She hastily scanned the room to see if she could change the subject. Seeing Natsu struggle to bend down to get the toys on the ground from near the kitchen, she dashed to him. “Ah, Natsu, be careful.”

Ryosuke shifted his eyes to his brother. “What’s going on?”

“I don’t know either.” Kota shrugged. “I’ll be taking my leave now.”

“M-matte!” He was about to stop his brother, but Mirai, with a speed like never before, had already run over and closed the door with a bang. “What—Baka, don’t do that, or your—”

She winced as she put a hand over her wound, regretting her action.

“What are you hiding?”

She glanced up, innocently. “Hiding what?”

“Whatever it is that you and nii-san will do tomorrow.”

“Nothing.”

“Don’t ‘nothing’ me. Tell me.”

“Nothing, I said.” She went to the couch, sat, grabbed the remote, and turned the T.V. on. “Hey, I hear Naruto’s finished. When’s the—”

“Mi-chan.” Her name softly escaped his lips, and he didn’t look back at her. “Is it about…the accident?”

“Hmm?” Her eyes were glued to the T.V., trying to escape this conversation. “Hey, there’s a summer sale! Let’s go—”

“You know my Dad caused it, don’t you?” Is that what you and nii-san will talk about?

The speechless room gave him his answer, making his heart heavy. He was scared about how she would see him from now on. Or even act around him. Their friendship would no longer be the same. It had been destroyed the very moment the car dived into the cold ocean, putting her and Natsu’s lives in danger.

Two thin hands wrapped around his waist, shocking him because her scent brought him back to reality. It was a tight squeeze before it gradually loosened around him.

She slightly pressed her head against his back and said to him, “Yeah. I know.”

Hearing it confirmed was worse than assuming it, so he broke apart her clasped hands around him to distance himself from her. “Hate me, hit me, call me names, or whatever, but, please, please don’t said that we can’t be friends anymore.”

A smile broke from her as she confusingly asked, “What are you talking about?”

“My Dad hurt you and Natsu because he caused the accident. I-I know that he did it to—”

“To get you back, I know that too.” She stepped forward to him, but he took a step back, scared that if he got another taste of her touch, it’d be hard for him to truly let her go. She added, “I’m not mad at you. I’m not even mad at him too.”

Did he hear it right? She wasn’t mad at him or his father? Why? Her and Natsu’s lives had been on the line, and they would’ve died had someone not become curious about a dent on the bridge where the car had dived off from. She wouldn’t have missed graduation and would’ve walked the stage with everyone else.

“I understand why he did it,” she said. “‘cause he’s a parent, Ryosuke.” She looked down with guilt. “If we were to put that in the perspective of Natsu getting taken away from me, I-I might’ve done something horrible just to get him back.” Her balled hands tightened, and she swallowed before looking at her friend. “That’s why I understand.”

He stood there, motionless, trying to take in everything he had heard. Even though it resonated in him, he couldn’t accept that she wasn’t mad at him or wouldn’t react in any other way other than accepting what had happened to her and their son. Their lives had been in danger, did she not recognize that?

She continued, “If you think it’s partly your fault, don’t. You saved us, you know.”

He saved them? How? He was miles away from where the accident had happened and was the last person to know of it.

“We would’ve died if we didn’t have your bat. I used it to break the window and swam out. That’s how I got the cut.” She bit her lower lip. “So, if it’s anyone who should be mad, it’s you. I lost something precious to you. I lost—oomph.”

“Baka!” He had stepped forward to hug her, momentarily forgetting that she had a wound. “You and Natsu are precious, not a stupid bat! If it’s anything that made me worried to death, it’s you and Natsu, not a stupid bat!”

“R-Ryosuke…” She winced in pain. “I’m kind of hurt…”

He backed away when he remembered why. “G-gomen, I-I—” He apologetically looked at her as she checked the bandage.

She confirmed that her wound and the bandage were okay and then took a step forward to him. She took him by the hand and squeezed it. “Arigatou…Ryosuke.” She gave him an assured look and hugged him. “Thanks for saving us.”

His worries and doubts about her hating him and not wanting to be friends with him vanished. Just like that. She was honest, and he knew it. They were still friends. She had confirmed it. She didn’t care about what had happened. She wanted to live in the present. With him. She was still his Mirai, and he was still her Ryosuke.

“And thanks for choosing him.” She referred to when the surgeons had asked whom they should give first-aid attention to between Natsu and her.

“Who-who told you?” His cheeks flushed as he tried to stay calm.

She chuckled. “Haruka. She was angry that you didn’t choose to save me first…but I was very happy. Very. Oh, that reminds me. I lost one more thing, b-but this time, it’s a very precious item to me.”

He frightfully blinked. Maybe this would be the reason why they’d no longer be friends. She had lost something important to her, and who could ever forgive something like that? He quickly braced himself as he waited for her explanation.

She raised her left hand and regrettably said, “I-I lost our ‘wedding ring.’ It must’ve slipped off when I was swimming out of the sinking car.”

It took him a moment to laugh comfortably. “What? That’s it?”

She angrily pouted at him and smacked him on the chest playfully. “It’s not ‘that’s it’!” She muttered under her breath, although he could still hear, “It’s very significant to me.”

He lightly poked her forehead. “Baka, if it’s that, I can buy you another one.”

“Yadda!” She moved away from him, shocking him, and whined, “You said that it was specially made for me and is the only ‘wedding ring’ in the world with your design.”

She really considers it as a wedding ring? His chuckling made her believe that he was mocking her viewpoint of the ‘wedding ring’ he had given to her. With a smile still slapped on his face, he left his spot and headed to the stairs. “I’ll be back.”

She watched him with curiosity.

Right before he got up the stairs, he gently patted Natsu on the head, who had been ignoring his virtual parents’ small spat because he was busily building a tower with the toy blocks. A minute or so later, Ryosuke came back down with his hands behind his back. “Close your eyes.”

She eyed him suspiciously. The last time she had closed her eyes for him, he a brush with black paint vertically across her face when they were cleaning the art room, causing their classmates to laugh at his prank. “Yadda.” She took a step back in case he was hiding some tools to do something to her. “Never will I close my eyes again for you.”

“Aww, just this time. We don’t have paint anyway.” His comment implied that he remembered the artistic prank, and he did his best to not laugh as he recalled it.

“Then, tell me what you have behind you.”

“Close your eyes first.”

“Ryosuke!”

“Mirai!” He copied her tone.

She laughed in response to his cute imitation. She impatiently ordered him, “Just show me.”

“If you close your eyes.” He knew that no matter what, she wouldn’t be persuaded because he couldn’t be trusted about it, which was understandable to him, and he accepted it. So, to accomplish what he wanted to do, he bargained for it. “How about this: if I do something you don’t like, I’ll let you abuse me for a day.”

She burst into a laugh. It wasn’t much of a bargain, but at least she’d get to do something satisfyingly to him in return. “Okay.” She closed her eyes shut and mentally decided to not like anything at all so she could hurt him in any way possible in return for all that he had done to her. “Anytime, Ryosuke.” After she said that, she felt his touch on her hand.

He brought her hand up and said to her, “Leave it like this.”

“Okay.” Her curiosity increased to its max, and her toes fidgeted with impatience.

Something cold touched the top of her wrist and then was wrapped around it. It’s not his hand… She docked her head to the side, trying to guess what the object was. She became nerve-wracked when she believed that it was another joke of his, that maybe he had put something icky or bug-related on her hand to creep her out when it was time to open her eyes. In disgust and fear, she opened her eyes and whipped her hand back. She reflexively touched her wrist. “Ryosuke, what—!”

Please log in to read the full chapter