The story continues

Companion ❦ - Sequel to figment -

Baekhyun skipped along the corridors of his school, knowing it was weird but not giving a damn. Because why should I? He hummed a random tune, only to be stopped by a teacher for his attire. “What’s wrong with it? It’s casual.” He pursed his lips, not understanding the teacher’s logic.

“And your hair!” Baekhyun nodded his head, knowing he couldn’t do anything about her ranting. My dad’s the one funding all the school’s projects though. A few weeks ago, he decided to not care about other people’s views and opinions. I know it’s a little weird, liking someone who isn’t even real but if I don’t care, no one else should interfere. After all, this was his love. He had all the rights to decide for himself.

Or so he thought. He realized he cared about others’ opinions more than he expected 2 hours later.

“What the ?” Kai choked on his drink and Kyungsoo patted on his back. The former had become a student dancer, while the latter, now a trainee singer, practically became his caretaker. Sehun was still a little lost, but being a genius he took 3 major courses at once—dance, music and engineering while Suho was taking arts courses. Baekhyun? The kid majored in fashion and his sassy self didn’t make life for his classmates or friends any easier.

“That’s it man.” Suho took his manly baby blue lunchbox up and left their table. Soon following were the “K-brothers”, as they called themselves. Only the youngest remained, who was again lost. “Wait, so you’re saying you like him? Like, like like like?” “No, like you like.” The older one sounded so serious the rainbow-haired kid widened his eyes the size of saucers. He needs more work to compare with Kyungsoo’s though.

“I’m just kidding you little—” “I had an imaginary friend too.” Sehun cut in, not caring about how Baekhyun would rant at him for interrupting later. “What…?” So Chanyeol’s my imaginary friend? No way man, that’s just ed up. “Channie isn’t Elmo!” Sehun’s eyebrows rose so high Baekhyun swore they went above his hairline and back. ‘”Uh huh. I am convinced.” Baekhyun opened his mouth then shut it again. Channie, tell me he's lying. His friend wasn’t with him that time though. He was reading manga because he was asked to.

“So anyway, he disappeared when I met you guys. He didn’t tell me his name, he never spoke but he was beautiful.” “And I dare bet he’s the main reason why you,” a hormone-filled teenage boy, “have never gotten a single girlfriend.”

“You may be right. Anyway, I just want to say it’s no big deal. Imagine all you can while you can.” Ah, the words of wisdom from this baby. Baekhyun knew Sehun would’ve continued describing if he didn’t stop him and he smiled. Maybe I’ll tell him about Yeol next time.

 

“Channie ah!” Baekhyun jumped onto his bed, startling his friend who then composed himself and smiled back. “Today, I told my friends about you.” The already white-skinned Chanyeol paled even more and Baekhyun chuckled. “If they really treated me as a friend, they wouldn’t have left.”

The older felt his eyes warming up and he subtly knew he was about to cry. Turning over, he met Chanyeol’s worried gaze right on and he grinned. “I’m not going to cry.” His friend relaxed immediately, then took the manga he was reading up, raising a thumb and telling his friend physically that it was a good book.

“Well of course you dummy, I was the one who bought it after all.”

 

Days passed, and Baekhyun’s three runaway friends never came back to the table the 5 always occupied. Kai sat with the soccer team, Kyungsoo with the chefs and Suho with his family friends. The three didn’t feel quite right though. Kai always stared pointedly at Baekhyun and Sehun then looked away when the two felt his scrutiny; Kyungsoo realized even talking about one of his favorite topics didn’t make him happy; Suho found comparing different families’ wealth and finding out the latest gossip was no longer that attractive.

But the three were angry with Baekhyun. No, their friend obviously did not disgust them since many children have such active imaginations too. They were just angry.

Catching Kai’s indifferent gaze again, Baekhyun sighed and slammed his head multiple times on the table. “This .” “Then apologize.” “How am I in the wrong?” Baekhyun continued bashing himself, ignoring the sting until Sehun’s warm hand blocked his abused forehead from kissing the table again. “The is wrong with you, Baek? If you want to know, just ask them… I’m pretty sure that’s what they’re waiting for too.”