Taken

Something Flutters
Please log in to read the full chapter

10th Grade – Spring Semester

Luhan walked through the courtyard, eyes scanning the many colorful booths promoting various clubs. This semester's Club Fair had over 30 booths, and Luhan had no idea which one he was interested in joining. Most of them were extremely eye-catching. The Karate Club had live demonstrations that captured everybody's attention, while the Drama Club had a mini stage set up for a short rendition of Peter Pan. Even though Luhan stayed to watch the entire show (Peter Pan was one of his favorite fairy tales), he didn't join the club because of his minor stage fright. Kyungsoo and Yixing, however, were eager to join, so they were currently signing up, leaving Luhan with nothing to do but to continue down the walkway.

 

He was just about to walk past an odd looking black booth littered with nothing but mediocre art when a voice called out to him, a deep smooth voice.

 

“Do you like art?”

 

Luhan turned to see the owner of that voice standing behind the weird booth, and his jaws nearly dropped. The owner was the 6'3'', extremely handsome junior Luhan had seen a few times around campus. Luhan doesn't know his name, but he does know that the junior was captain of the basketball team, and that he was quite popular with both es. And now that he has seen the junior up close, he totally understood why.

 

Luhan has yet to find the definition of perfection, but the male standing in front of him may come very close.

 

“You look like an art person,” the junior said, smile showcasing his lovely pink gums. And in that moment, Luhan found out that he actually liked gummy smiles.

 

“Huh?” Luhan asked, realizing that the guy was talking to him.

 

The guy chuckled and waved his hand, calling Luhan over to his booth, and without knowing, Luhan found himself standing right in front of the booth seconds later.

 

His eyes widened when the guy held out his hand and said, “My name's Kris – Junior and President of the Art Club.”

 

Luhan nodded, and shook Kris's hand. “Hello, I'm Luhan and I'm a sophomore.” He added a bow for safe measure.

 

“I know who you are,” Kris said with a grin. “Almost everybody does.”

 

“Really?”

 

Kris nodded. “Don't worry, I've only heard great things about you.”

 

“Oh.” Luhan blushed at the thought that Kris had heard things about him.

 

“So are you interested in joining the club?”

 

“Oh uhhh.” Luhan looked around the booth and though up close, the art work still looked horrible, he couldn't help but think of them differently. They had an unique vibe about them. Something Luhan couldn't quite figure out, but he definitely wants to.

 

“Yes, I am,” Luhan finally answered, shooting Kris a smile, which the taller happily returned.

 

“Great! Now just fill out this form with your name and phone number, and I shall let you know when the first meeting is held.”

 

Luhan gladly took the form and filled it out as fast as he could because there were other students gathering behind him. After saying goodbye to Kris, Luhan made his way back to the Drama Club booth where Yixing and Kyungsoo were talking to someone they've met through signing up for the club. Yixing, in particular, looked fascinated by what the other boy was saying. Luhan actually never seen him look so focused.

 

“Someone is quickly developing a crush,” Kyungsoo whispered when Luhan arrived. Yixing was still too absorbed in whatever the other boy was saying to notice Luhan's presence.

 

“Well, I gotta go, but I'll see you around right?” the boy asked, a wide smile on his face as he started walking backwards. Clearly, Yixing wasn't the only one interested.

 

“Yeah,” Yixing said with a dimpled smile – his secret weapon.

 

The other boy nearly tripped at the sight of the dimple, and Luhan could tell from Yixing's smug expression that it was part of his plan.

 

“Put that dimple away,” Kyungsoo said after the other boy had left. “It's hurting my eyes.”

 

Yixing laughed and swung an arm over Kyungsoo's shoulder. “You should be immune by now, Soo.”

 

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes. “Whatever.” He turned his attention to Luhan. “Where were you?”

 

“Art Club,” Luhan answered nonchalantly, hoping that his friends would leave it at that.

 

Too bad that wasn't going to happen because both of them shouted, “Art Club!?”

 

“Yeah....Art Club.”

 

“But you can't draw,” Yixing pointed out.

 

“Thanks Yixing.”

 

“Welcome.”

 

“What he means is why are you joining the Art Club when you have no interest in art?” Kyungsoo asked.

 

Luhan shrugged. “Art is interesting.”

 

Kyungsoo gasped while Yixing suddenly started shaking Luhan. “What have you done to my friend?!”

 

Luhan pushed Yixing away. “Stop being dramatic, Yixing.”

 

Yixing smiled. “Can't help it – that's why I'm joining the Drama Club!”

 

Luhan rolled his eyes. He was about to start walking away when Kyungsoo grabbed his arm. “What?”

 

“Don't go that way,” Kyungsoo warned.

 

“Why not?”

 

“Because....”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Because Sehun is over there,” Yixing answered matter-of-factly.

 

And though Luhan schooled his features to show his friends that he wasn't affected by the mention of the name, they saw right through him.

 

“You okay?” Kyungsoo asked softly.

 

“Yeah. Why wouldn't I be?”

 

“Lu..”

 

“Hey, let's go check out the other clubs before the fair ends.” Luhan doesn't wait for their response before turning to walk the other way.

 

It's not that he's avoiding Sehun. He's not.

 

It's just that he can't be within ten feet of Sehun without feeling as though his entire body will overheat. Ridiculous really.

 

Originally, it was the simple, erratic heart thumping against his chest type of feeling, but now it was more severe with his palms getting sweaty and his mind racing with thoughts of what ifs.

 

Thoughts that only left him feeling depressed whenever Sehun walked away.

 

There were times when Luhan wished he didn't feel this way towards Sehun. Life would be so much easier if he didn't have feelings for someone who didn't return his feelings. Easier and less painful.

 

Kyungsoo and Yixing have been supportive (sometimes too supportive) ever since Luhan revealed to them what had been driving him to the point of insanity. They both knew all along, and insisted that now, with Luhan admitting his feelings, things were going to be better. Countless times, Luhan found himself wondering when exactly things were going to get better.

 

Would it be when he glanced across the cafeteria only to find Sehun chatting and laughing with his friends, no clue in the world that Luhan's stomach was doing somersaults at the mere sight of his smile?

 

Or would it be when they talked about an assignment after class with Sehun standing right next to Luhan's desk, but yet so far from him?

 

He honestly don't know, but regardless, he's thankful for his friends for being there.

 

And he appreciates it when they try their best to help.

 

“You should go,” Yixing said one day during lunch after he and Kyungsoo finished talking about some trendy club Luhan has never heard of.

 

“We're not even legal yet,” Luhan said, already knowing where this conversation was going.

 

“Tae Jin's older brother works there, and apparently, he could get all of us in that night because the owner won't be present,” Yixing explained. “The whole school is going to be there.”

 

“It'll be like an informal school event,” Kyungsoo supplied when Luhan still looked skeptical. “No one will get in trouble. Trust us, Luhan.”

 

“I do trust you, but...”

 

“You're going,” Yixing stated. “It'll be fun. And hey, you might get lucky and meet some Prince Charming.”

 

“Ha ha.”

 

“Aren't you looking for one?” Yixing asked with a mysterious grin.

 

“No,” Luhan said flatly. “I'm not chasing a fairy tale. Why would I look for a prince?” He looked down at his bowl of soup, and frowned when Sehun's face suddenly appeared in the bowl.

 

He took his spoon and swirled Sehun's face away. “Besides, princes don't exist.”

 

“Um. Prince William and Prince Harry?”

 

“You know what I mean!”

 

Yixing laughed. “Yes, yes. I know. But you're still going.”

 

Luhan turned to Kyungsoo. “I'm only going if you go.”

 

“I'm going,” Kyungsoo said, taking Luhan by surprise because honestly, Kyungsoo would be the last person Luhan expects to go clubbing.

 

“Yes!” Yixing cheered and Kyungsoo chuckled.

 

“Kyungsoo...” Luhan started, still stunned.

 

“Come on, Luhan, it'll be worth experiencing. Make sure you wear something nice,” Kyungsoo said, as if everything was fine – as if they weren't planning to enter a club illegally.

 

While Yixing and Kyungsoo babbled on about their planned Friday night, Luhan spaced out. The idea of going to his first club isn't exactly daunting, in fact, he is curious, but he couldn't shake off this feeling that the experience could go unbelievably great or horribly wrong.

 

*******

Meanwhile across the cafeteria.....

 

“Yo, party at Club Nox this weekend,” Jongin announced when he sat down across from Sehun, who doesn't bother to look up from his tray.

 

“Not interested.”

 

“Everybody's going.”

 

“Well, when have I ever cared whether or not everybody's going?”

 

Jongin looked over at Tao who merely shrugged. “Did you not hear me? I said everybody's going. Including people who don't normally go to clubs or even parties for that matter.”

 

Sehun sighed and looked up. “I said I'm not --”

 

“Do you think Luhan's going?” Tao asked Jongin, cutting Sehun off.

 

At the mention of the name, Sehun's eyes wandered over to the opposite side of the cafeteria where Luhan was eating with his friends.

 

It's always been like this. Every time Luhan's name is mentioned in a conversation, Sehun finds himself more alert and suddenly looking for the boy. He doesn't quite know why. It's not like he doesn't know what Luhan looks like. Why does he want to see him?

 

Tao and Jongin, who immediately noticed Sehun staring at Luhan's direction, smirked.

 

“Yeah. I said everybody,” Jongin emphasized, bringing Sehun's attention back to him. “So how about it? Wanna go?”

 

“You're going to force me to go anyways.”

 

Jongin faked a hurt expression. “I would never force you.”

 

Sehun rolled his eyes and continued eating his lunch while Tao laughed at Jongin's idea of emotional acting.

 

“You're in,” Jongin declared when Sehun doesn't say anything else. “Great! This will be fun!”

 

Jongin took out his phone and sent someone a text – someone sitting across the cafeteria.

 

Hey amigo! Mission accomplished! :)

 

His phone vibrated a few seconds later.

 

Stop calling me that! >:(

 

Jongin smiled at the angry text and placed the phone back in his pocket, thoughts of possibly taking Spanish as a language class crossing his mind.

 

*******

It's Friday and Luhan was standing in line behind Yixing and Kyungsoo outside Club Nox. He's been fidgeting for the past ten minutes, nervous about possibly getting caught.

 

“Calm down Luhan,” Kyungsoo said, eyes worried at how Luhan can't seem to stand still.

 

“They're not going to check our IDs so stop worrying,” Yixing stated.

 

“But what if they think I'm in middle school or something?! Tonight they may let in underage high school kids, but I doubt they'll let in a middle schooler!”

 

“Luhan has a point,” Kyungsoo said as he looked at Yixing for guidance. He wasn't that knowledgeable about how the club scene works. “What if Luhan doesn't get in? What are we going to do?”

 

“It's like I'm friends with a bunch of club s,” Yixing complained.

 

“You're one too!” Kyungsoo and Luhan shouted.

 

“Whatever. Just act cool.”

 

Luhan wanted to pull his hair out because he had no idea what Yixing meant by acting cool. And judging from the glow in the dark suspenders Yixing had on, he probably haven't got a clue himself on what's “cool.”

 

The line moved up, and Luhan found himself sweating buckets when they got close to the bouncer – a guy in his mid 20s dressed in all black, and looking far too strict for someone who supposedly enjoys breaking the rules when his boss wasn't present.

 

He looked at Kyungsoo and Yixing, and immediately gave them bracelets and told them to go inside. Once it was Luhan's turn, the guy's eyes widened by a small margin, and he was probably about to ask how old Luhan was when Yixing cut him off.

 

“He's our friend. Same age. Fetus face.”

 

“Oh. Okay. Go ahead.” The guy handed Luhan his bracelet, and before he could say anything else, Luhan ran inside.

 

The moment he entered the club, his eyes were met with darkness. He could hear the loud music up ahead, but it was so pitch black, he couldn't see anything. He was about to grab the first thing his hands could reach, but thought better of it because chances are the things he'll grab won't be Kyungsoo or Yixing.

 

“Guys?” Luhan called out, voice panicky.

 

“Behind you,” Kyungsoo said as he placed his hand on Luhan's left shoulder.

 

“It's dark in here,” Yixing said as he came up behind Luhan.

 

“Really? I didn't notice,” Kyungsoo replied sarcastically.

 

Thankfully, Yixing's neon colored suspenders came in handy because they could sorta figure out which way to go by following the moving silhouettes in front of them. They turned a corner, and were immediately blinded by what seemed to be a thousand neon lights flashing at them. Luhan had to squeeze his eyes shut to avoid possibly damaging his vision.

 

“Whoa. Too many lights,” Yixing shouted over the club music, again stating the obvious.

 

Before Luhan could properly adjust to the lights and the sounds, he felt Yixing's hand on his back. “Well, good luck buddy! Go out and explore!” And then he was gone.

 

“Kyungsoo?”

 

“I think we should stick to the corners.”

 

Luhan nodded and the two of them made their way to the nearest corner, which unfortunately, happens to be the spot where most of the upperclassmen were hanging. They quickly retreated when the seniors gave them a look that basically meant Scram!

 

“HOLA!” A voice shouted from behind them. Kyungsoo and Luhan turned around only to find a gr

Please log in to read the full chapter