Scribble

Something Flutters
Please log in to read the full chapter

10th Grade – Fall Semester

“Luhan!”

 

“Huh?”

 

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes. “Please pay attention during club meetings.”

 

“I was paying attention.”

 

Yixing laughed. “No, you weren't. You were staring out the window.”

 

Luhan crossed his arms and gave Yixing what he hoped was an intimidating glare. “I was not.”

 

“Oh really?” Yixing got up from his seat and walked over to the window. He looked down and asked, “Oh my God! What happened to Sehun? Did he get hurt?”

 

Luhan almost jumped out of his seat to take a look out of the window. “Wha --”

 

Yixing smirked. “Gotcha.”

 

Realizing that he fell right into Yixing's trap, Luhan groaned. “That wasn't cool.”

 

And despite himself, Luhan glanced towards the tennis court. After spotting Sehun playing just fine, he sat back down.

 

Kyungsoo scoffed. “You couldn't be any more obvious.”

 

“What?”

 

Yixing took a seat next to Luhan. “Why are you suddenly so interested in watching the tennis team practice?”

 

“I wasn't watching them practice. I was simply looking out the window every now and then.”

 

“At Sehun.”

 

Luhan spluttered. “Wha – No!”

 

Kyungsoo shook his head and sat down on the desk in front of Luhan. “You wanted to jump out the window when Yixing said he was hurt. Come on, Luhan, we're not dumb.”

 

“Yeah. Don't think that we haven't noticed,” Yixing added. “You've never shown an interest in tennis before, but ever since Sehun made the team, you know everything there is to know about the sport – including the team's match schedules.”

 

Luhan looked down at his hands. He really couldn't argue with that because it was the truth – a truth he wished his best friends didn't know about.

 

“What's wrong with keeping up with our tennis team?” Luhan fired back. “Tennis isn't that bad. It actually looks like fun.”

 

“Because Sehun's playing it?” Yixing asked, eyes staring right through Luhan's soul.

 

“No. Not because he's playing it,” Luhan said, turning away to avoid Yixing's intense gaze.

 

“Right. Like we believe that.”

 

“It's true!”

 

“Something happened between you two,” Kyungsoo said accusingly. “He's not picking on you anymore, and you no longer complain about what a jerk he is.”

 

Luhan gave Kyungsoo a small shrug. “Nothing happened. We just grew out of it. High school can change people.”

 

Yixing smiled. “Or it can make people realize something they've been hiding inside.”

 

“I'm not hiding anything,” Luhan said firmly.

 

“Okay. Fine, you're not hiding it,” Kyungsoo admitted. “You're denying it.”

 

“Denying what?”

 

Yixing and Kyungsoo glanced at one another. “Your feelings,” they said in unison.

 

Luhan's mouth fell open. “My – my feelings?”

 

Kyungsoo and Yixing nodded. “Yes, your feelings.”

 

“What?? What are you two going on about?”

 

Yixing sighed. “We knew this was going to happen.”

 

“Luhan, do us a favor and look out the window,” Kyungsoo said.

 

“What? Why should I?”

 

“Just do it.”

 

Luhan opened his mouth to argue, but Kyungsoo widened his eyes, and frankly, he looked scary with his eyes like that. Luhan huffed and turned his attention to the view outside.

 

“Now what?” he asked.

 

“Tell us what you see.”

 

Against his will, Luhan's eyes wandered to where the tennis team was currently running their drills. The captain was hitting the ball towards the members who were lined up, taking turns to return the ball. Sehun was currently at the back of the line, and Luhan could see that he was extremely focused. His eyes would follow the ball, and whenever someone missed, Sehun would scoff and shake his head. It was interesting seeing Sehun so absorbed in something – so disciplined.

 

Luhan had always known that Sehun was athletic, but he's never really paid him any attention. And now that Luhan had the chance to watch Sehun play a sport he was apparently great at, he had a slight change of heart. He doesn't know what it is, but Sehun seemed different. It probably wasn't because Sehun was now taller and more muscular, nor because his brown hair was cut to perfection, making him look like someone straight out of a magazine. Definitely none of those reasons. It was something else. Luhan was sure of it.

 

But whatever the reason may be, Luhan decided that the new Sehun wasn't all that bad...

 

“What do you see?” Kyungsoo questioned, breaking Luhan out of his reverie.

 

“Uhh. Trees.”

 

“Pfft. Liar.”

 

“You were looking at Sehun.”

 

“I --”

 

“Honestly, Luhan, what's wrong with admitting that you were staring at him?” Kyungsoo asked, sounding a bit exasperated.

 

“We know you can't help it,” Yixing continued. “The first thing you saw was him. Isn't that telling you something?”

 

Luhan groaned and sat back down. “No, it's not.”

 

“Why don't you try finding out?”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Find out why your perception of Sehun changed. What's the reason behind you wanting to see him? What changed?”

 

“Maybe it's because he's not making my life hell,” Luhan replied. “He's different now, and I guess I don't mind that he is. I mean, he's nicer to me now, so maybe that's why I don't hate him as much as before.”

 

“You never hated him to begin with,” Kyungsoo said. “Sure, you didn't like how he was mean to you, and you wanted to hit him a few times, but you definitely never felt hatred towards him.”

 

Luhan doesn't say anything.

 

Yixing gave him a pat on the back. “I think you should just try talking to him.”

 

“About what?”

 

Yixing shrugged. “Anything. Whatever it is that would give you the answer to why you're paying so much attention to him.”

 

“That's not hard at all,” Luhan said sarcastically before placing his head down on the table. “I really don't know guys,” he mumbled.

 

He wanted to add that he doesn't want to know why he's feeling this way, but thought better of it.

 

Suddenly, he felt a warm hand patting his head. “It won't hurt to find out, Luhan,” Kyungsoo said, and Luhan wanted to believe him.

 

He sighed and sat back up. “I'm guessing you won't let this go, so tell me – what are you suggesting I do?”

 

“Go to one of his matches.”

 

“Now that we think about it, you've never actually gone to a game. Why is that?”

 

“I don't know,” Luhan answered truthfully.

 

“Well, that is going to change!” Yixing exclaimed. “When's their next game?”

 

“This Friday,” Luhan replied automatically, earning smiles from both Yixing and Kyungsoo.

 

“Great! We'll go to the game, you can cheer him on, and then afterwards, you can talk to him.”

 

“Why? I don't think I want to.”

 

“You don't have a choice,” Kyungsoo said confidently. “We're going.”

 

“Yeah!” Yixing added.

 

Before Luhan could say anything else on the matter, Yixing and Kyungsoo grabbed their bags and walked out of the classroom with mysterious smiles on their faces.

 

Luhan had a terrible feeling that they were planning something – something that would most probably involve Sehun.

 

He's afraid (petrified really), but a small part of him felt excited at the prospect of actually finding out why his feelings towards Sehun has changed.

 

He just hoped he won't regret it...

 

And before he knew it, Friday arrived, and he was walking towards the tennis court with Kyungsoo and Yixing. His friends were wearing matching beanies in support of the school's team, and though Luhan had refused in the beginning, he ended up wearing a shirt that said,“GO Gyeongsin!”

 

He followed Kyungsoo and Yixing to their seats in the stands where parents and students have gathered to watch. The team was currently huddled together, probably discussing plans.

 

Luhan immediately spotted Sehun's hair from the tight knit circle of heads. Sehun was wearing a headband to keep his fringe from his eyes. And Luhan doesn't want to admit it, but Sehun actually looked good in his tennis uniform.

 

The team shouted a loud “Fighting!” and dispersed. Each player going about their business. Some did a little stretching, others conversed with their partners. Sehun sat down on the bench to tie his shoelaces.

 

Luhan's heart nearly popped out of his chest when Sehun suddenly looked up, his eyes meeting Luhan's.

 

“Um. I think he's looking at you,” Yixing whispered from next to him. “Wave or something.”

 

As awkwardly as he possibly could, Luhan gave Sehun a small wave.

 

Sehun's eyes lingered on Luhan a little longer, his expression unreadable, before he turned away.

 

And for the rest of the night, Sehun avoided looking up at the stands.

 

Even when Luhan cheered for him when he scored his points, Sehun doesn't look up.

 

Even when Luhan jumped out of his seat in celebration over Sehun winning his match, Sehun doesn't look up.

 

The matches ended around 10 at night with Gyeongsin winning overall. The crowd was cheering as the team started celebrating on the court, giving each other high-fives and hugs.

 

Luhan's phone vibrated, and he looked at the screen.

 

From Kyungsoo:  Sorry we had to leave first.

 

Luhan's eyes widened and he whipped his head around only to find himself alone. He had no idea that his friends left.

 

He quickly sent his friend an urgent reply.

 

How am I going to get home!?

 

He received two other texts.

 

From Kyungsoo:  Try asking Sehun to take you home. :)

 

From Yixing:  This is your chance to talk to Sehun. Go for it! FIGHTING!!

 

“So this is their plan,” Luhan mumbled, expression dumbfounded as he continued to stare at his phone screen.

 

What was he going to do now? His parents weren't going to be home till much later, and he really doesn't like the idea of walking home alone.

 

He sent his friends one final text before he stood up and walked towards the court where the players were still celebrating.

 

I hate you so much.

 

Just when he set foot on the court, his phone buzzed.

 

From Kyungsoo: Heyyyy, we're doing you a favor.

 

From Yixing: You'll thank us later.

 

Luhan's not so sure about that because as soon as he got close to where Sehun was standing, his heart started racing, and his palms started sweating for some reason. Why was he feeling so nervous? It's just Sehun. 

 

“Breathe,” he muttered to himself.

 

After inhaling and exhaling a few times, Luhan worked up the courage to tap Sehun on the shoulder.

 

The other boy turned around, and when his eyes landed on Luhan, he gave him a blank expression. “Yeah?”

 

Luhan was taken aback by Sehun's harsh tone, but nonetheless, he flashed Sehun a smile. “Congratulations on winning. You did great.”

 

“Thanks,” Sehun said, expression not grateful at all. In fact, Sehun looked agitated, and Luhan couldn't figure out why. He did win the match right? Why did he look upset?

 

“Are you feeling okay?” Luhan asked, concern all over his face and in his voice.

 

“Yeah,” Sehun said curtly. “Is that it?” he asked, giving Luhan the horrible feel

Please log in to read the full chapter