Yours

Something Flutters
Please log in to read the full chapter

Present Day

“What about this one?”

 

Luhan puts down the set of holiday plates he was holding and turns to face Baekhyun, who's holding a massive Santa Claus cookie jar.

 

“Don't you already have a snowman one?” he asks. “Why do you want another one?”

 

Baekhyun sighs and puts the cookie jar back on the display counter. “Because it's more festive. It'll make my kitchen more Christmassy..”

 

Luhan raises an eyebrow. “Baek, I don't think you can get any more Christmassy. Trust me,” he says with confidence.

 

He's basing this on the fact that Baekhyun and Chanyeol had completely renovated their house into a winter wonderland of sorts. It had taken the couple a few days and a large sum of money to get the decorations done, but the end result was, as Baekhyun puts it, worth every penny. The entire exterior was covered in Christmas lights that shined so bright at night, Luhan had wondered if the neighbors ever asked the couple to shut it off.

 

Inside, Baekhyun had changed all of the furniture to a pristine white, symbolizing the snow Chanyeol loves so much. And while the furniture was the beautiful backdrop to a winter painting, the red and green decorations that covered the whole house added a nostalgic feeling of memories, festivities, and well, Christmas. There was also a massive 7 foot Christmas tree that had unique (expensive) ornaments Baekhyun had collected over the years. To put it simply, Baekhyun and Chanyeol's house is a beautiful replica of the one you would see in a Christmas card. 

 

Baekhyun bites his bottom lip, eyes glued to the jar. “Yeol's mother has a similar one,” he mumbles.

 

Luhan takes a look at the jar and back at Baekhyun's face. It makes sense now. He should have seen this coming. Luhan makes his way over to where Baekhyun stood. He gives Baekhyun's shoulders a gentle squeeze.

 

“Is this the real reason why you dragged me to the mall during the busiest time of the year?”

 

“It's not the main reason...” Baekhyun half-mumbles as he heads toward the stockings. Luhan follows.

 

“Come on Baek, why are you so nervous whenever Chanyeol's parents are in town? They love you.”

 

“Yeah, but I want them to love me even more this year,” Baekhyun admits as he picks up a stocking, hands feeling the softness of the velvet fabric. “Christmas is their favorite holiday. Like it's huge in the Park household. You should see their house on Christmas day.. I just – I don't want to disappoint.”

 

“You never disappoint,” Luhan states, staring directly into Baekhyun's eyes. “They love everything you do, and whether or not you have a giant Santa jar isn't going to change that.”

 

“When you say things like that, it makes me want to believe you,” Baekhyun says with a hint of a smile.

 

“Then believe me.”

 

Baekhyun looks away. “I-I really want everything to be perfect because you know... they're the only ones visiting us.”

 

Luhan could detect the disappointment and hurt from a mile away.

 

“You called your parents?” he asks carefully, tone soft. Baekhyun's parents were always a touchy subject.

 

“Yeah,” Baekhyun whispers. “They're not coming, and I'm not surprised. It's been years..”

 

Luhan frowns. “Baek...”

 

Baekhyun shakes his head. “I'm fine. Really. I'm too busy to mope about it. I gotta make sure Yeol's parents enjoy their stay.”

 

Luhan knows better than anyone that Baekhyun is just putting up a brave front – a defense mechanism.

 

Not caring that they're in public, Luhan pulls Baekhyun toward him and hugs him. Baekhyun is taken by surprise at first, but eventually he hugs Luhan back.

 

It's tough seeing Baekhyun vulnerable, but Luhan's not entirely worried because Baekhyun wouldn't be Baekhyun if he lets a few obstacles get in his way.

 

And moments like these make Luhan realize that he's incredibly lucky to have his friends and his family. To have supportive parents. To have in-laws that love him. He doesn't take anything for granted.

 

When Luhan releases Baekhyun, there's a small smile on his face. “Your hugs are really one of the best,” says Baekhyun. “Second only to Yeol's.”

 

“Well, just let me know whenever you need a hug. I'll come to you with open arms.”

 

Baekhyun snorts, amusement twinkling in his eyes. “Quoting lyrics, huh?”

 

“You love that song.”

 

“I do.” Baekhyun smiles and turns his attention back to the stockings, deciding on which pair to get for Chanyeol's parents. Luhan wonders if he should get Sehun's parents a pair of stockings as well, to hang over their fireplace.

 

“But honestly, I don't think I can pull it off,” says Baekhyun after a while. “We've been so busy at the restaurant and at the shop, I haven't even thought of what I'm going to serve them during their stay!”

 

Luhan chuckles. “Are you forgetting the fact that you have me as your best friend?”

 

Baekhyun blinks at Luhan. “But what about –”

 

“I can handle it. I'll drop by to help you with the preparations and leave before they arrive. It'll be fine, and hey, you can even take credit for the dishes.”

 

Baekhyun smiles. “There's no need. They know I can't cook that well. And they're aware of my close relationship with you.”

 

“Wow. Even with the knowledge that you can't cook, they let you marry their only son. I think that counts for something.”

 

Baekhyun rolls his eyes when Luhan grins. “That's because I'm perfect in every other category.”

 

With a wide smile plastered on his face, Luhan nods. “That's the spirit. This Christmas is going to be great because Byun Baekhyun is going to make sure it is!”

 

“Park Baekhyun,” Baekhyun corrects with a renewed sense of determination in his eyes. “And you're right, Ludeer, I'm going to make sure that this Christmas is going to be the best. I'm going to knock their matching holiday socks off!”

 

Luhan laughs. “Yeah. Now we're talking.”

 

“I'll let his dad put the crystal star on top of the tree!” (That's usually Baekhyun's job)

 

“Uh huh!”

 

“We'll all bake gingerbread cookies on Christmas day!”

 

“Yup!”

 

“I'll serenade them with carols to wake them up!”

 

“Ye – Okay, maybe not that.”

 

“Why not? I have a great voice.”

 

Luhan leans over and gives Baekhyun's left cheek a slight pinch. “Yes, but not when it's early in the morning. No one wants to wake up to someone belting Christmas songs.”

 

“Yeol does,” Baekhyun argues.

 

“That's because he gets to see you afterwards.”

 

Baekhyun gasps. “How did you –”

 

“You called me and told me about the mind blowing you had after you sang 'Joy to the World.' It's a phone call that's hard to forget,” says Luhan as he turns his attention to the set of giant red stockings he has in his hands, warmth slowly spreading across his face.

 

He tries hard not to recall Chanyeol whistling the holiday tune in the background as Baekhyun described their morning . He ends up failing miserably.

 

“It was disturbing.” Luhan shudders.

 

Baekhyun, noticing the faint blush on Luhan's cheeks, snickers. “Right, like you don't ever have wonderful, multiple ic morning with Sehun.”

 

Another shopper passes by them, and upon catching some of the words coming out of Baekhyun's mouth, the lady widens her eyes, expression scandalous.

 

“I don't call you right after,” Luhan hisses, tugging Baekhyun away from the lady, who now knows his husband's name and a little bit about their love life. He wishes she could unhear what she heard, and she probably does too. 

 

“Seriously, Baek,” Luhan whines when they're far away.

 

Baekhyun continues to laugh, taking pleasure in seeing Luhan red in the face, completely embarrassed in the middle of a department store.

 

When Baekhyun doesn't stop, Luhan glares at him.

 

Baekhyun stops immediately and clears his throat. He could handle anybody glaring at him, it doesn't faze him at all, but Luhan is a special exception. Baekhyun makes a lot of exceptions for Luhan actually.

 

“Sorry, but that was funny,” Baekhyun says. “She looked at you like you were a devout Christian with a secret.”

 

Luhan rubs his face. “Baaeekkk.”

 

“My bad. Sehun's the one.”

 

Luhan groans when Baekhyun looks at him with a playful smile. The rest of their time in the department store consists of Luhan trying to convince Baekhyun that Sehun wasn't as as he believed, and Baekhyun trying to get Luhan to admit that he married a beast in the sack. Neither of them were really successful.

 

Eventually, they left the store with big bags in their hands. They bought the same things – Christmas stockings, towels, and new comforters for the guest bedroom, all of which were for their in-laws.

 

They were about to head toward the food court, but Baekhyun had wanted to stop by a men's clothing store to “shop for our matching sweaters,” he said.

 

Last year Luhan and Baekhyun had decided to show up at SC Law's Christmas party in matching Christmas sweaters, ones that had a reindeer tail in the back you can squeeze to hear Jingle Bells playing. Although Luhan thought the sweaters were a cute idea, the other people at the party didn't seem to think th

Please log in to read the full chapter