Worries and Bets

Washed Up

Do you think he’ll be okay Halmoni?” Soomin asked, looking the handsome male over, smoothing his hair away from his face. He was more than just handsome, he was gorgeous. His hair was long, almost down to his shoulder but not quite. His upper lip was thin, while his lower lip was plump. Resisting the urge to reach down and touch his lips, the dark haired girl curled her knees to her chest, staring at the male.

Staring isn’t going to do him any good you know.” The old woman said, scolding her granddaughter. Soomin didn’t really care though. He was too gorgeous not to stare at. She never got to see boys this handsome in the village. Sure, Junsu was attractive, but he was more like a brother to her than anything. He was probably the only person in the village that you could really consider attractive. Well. Other than this gorgeous male now.

It won’t hurt him either Halmoni.” SooMin said, flashing her grandmother a playful smile and then turned back to the male. “Where do you think he came from? Seoul?” She asked, reaching forward now and moving a curly lock of hair away from his face that was being way too stubborn and kept curling into his face. “I’m a healer, not a seer.” Her grandmother responded, causing SooMin to huff a little.

I bet he came from Seoul.” Soomin decided with a nod and then went to take the rag from his forehead to dip it in the cool water at her side. Wringing the water out, Soomin then returned the rag to his forehead and placed her chin on her knees. “Soomin-ah” Halmoni said, causing the young girl to turn and look at the older woman, only to flinch slightly when she saw the woman right at her side with a raised up hand. “Leave him be. He’s going to be like this for a while. Don’t you have chores to do?

Huffing, SooMin’s legs stretched down from the chair and she sulked away. “You’ll at least let me know when he’s waking up, right?” Soomin begged of her grandmother, causing a sigh and a nod from the grey haired woman. “Of course. Now go do your chores and I’ll send DaeDoong to get you once the man is awake.” With those reassuring words, SooMin bounced away happily.

Heading off to do her chores, SooMin hummed a little to herself, staring up at the sky. Thoughts of the mysterious stranger filled her mid as she headed to the small chicken coop that she was in charge of taking care of. Waving to the ahjumma who made the bread in town, Soomin let the older woman know that she’d be by later to pick up some stale bread for the pigs if she had any. Of course the older woman said yes and Soomin continued along the way to the coop where an all too familiar face stood, tossing feed towards the chicken.

What are you doing here, oppa?” SooMin asked, watching as the male turned around with a wide smile. “Soominnie!” He exclaimed, a wide smile appearing on his face as he dropped the rest of the handful, causing the chickens to cluck happily as the bobbed along eating up. “I was hoping to see you but…I guess you were at that stranger’s side?” Junsu asked, rocking a little on his feet. Shrugging, SooMin went to grab the bucket next to the gate of the chicken coop. “Ne. He’s really handsome Junsu-ah.” SooMin said, teasing the older male who frowned some. “I bet…Do you think he’s from the city?

Soomin shrugged a little, walking towards the well to get some water to refresh for the chicken. “I don’t know. Probably? He could be from anywhere though.” Swinging the bucket some, SooMin jumped a little when Junsu took the bucket from her and gave a wide smile. “I bet he’s from the city. Maybe once he wakes up he’ll take us there?” Sighing, SooMin gave the bucket a wary look. “I can carry that myself.” Soomin said with a pout, only for Junsu to hide the bucket behind his back and shake his head. “I’ll help. He hasn’t woken up yet, right?” Junsu was always going on and on about going to the city. He wasn’t built to work here in the village. He had real talent for singing and dancing, but it’s not like you can get anywhere with that talent in a small fishing village.

Well. He did. Just for a little bit though!” Soomin had to add that last bit because Junsu’s face lit up. “He didn’t seem well so Halmoni gave him something to help him sleep and refresh.” Soomin said with a nod, giving a worried look to Junsu. “He’ll be fine though. And once he wakes up Halmoni said she’d send DaeDoong to come get me.” Face lighting up at that, Soomin stopped at the well and watched as Junsu wheeled the bucket at the bottom up and then poured it into the larger bucket they’d brought over. “Can I come too?” Junsu asked, holding the bucket awkwardly so he wouldn’t get water splashed on him from transferring water. “Sure. Though you’ll have to stay back in case he gets jealous.” Soomin said, teasing a little.

Junsu simply raised an eyebrow at her with a confused look. “Gets jealous of what?” SooMin then laughed and shook her head, motioning for Junsu to carry the water back with her. “Jealous of you being with me. You know…he could be my future husband if he stays long enough!” Okay that was really the young schoolgirl in her, but honestly who wouldn’t want to marry a handsome stranger that the sea practically gift wrapped and put on your doorstep?

The rest of the walk to the chicken coop consisted of playful banter between the two about this mysterious stranger and whether he’d actually stick around long enough for SooMin to marry him. Junsu didn’t think he would and promised that he’d go to the city with this stranger before Soomin was able to marry him. There was then a bet of a week’s worth of chores that would go to the loser of who the stranger didn’t choose. Of course, it was all playful and in good spirits. Both of them knew that they’d never actually fulfill the bet unless forced to.

While Soomin was feeding the chickens, Junsu helped to switch the water out so that they were getting fresh water. The two then moved on to a few other chores, enjoying the nice weather after the storm that had happened the night before.