Paper Cut

Stories of Us - One Shot Collection

You're like a paper cut. I don't know how we properly met, but you're a part of my life now whether I like it or not.

I don't know how long you'll stick around either. Whenever I feel like you're drifting from me, something happens and we're suddenly closer again. Even if I stop thinking about you for a moment, something always appears and makes me think of you. Like accidentally trailing my fingers over the wound. It stings sometimes, and other times it just feels numb.

The stinging, isn't necessarily because of you, but because of things that have happened. I can't help but bubble inside whenever girls throw themselves at you. Maybe I'm just overly jealous and paranoid, but what if they do like you as much as I think they do? What if you like them more than me?

Other times, I can't help but feel that you go out of your way to make an effort. The fact that you greet me outside of class sometimes makes me so happy; simply because I know that I've crossed your mind for a split moment to say “hey.” Even when you wave, my heart flutters. You tell me so many different stories, and you listen to mine. You actually sound like you want to talk to me.

As if you were my own wound, I try to heal you whenever you're sick. If someone tries to hurt you, I raise my voice, I get agitated. I get worked up over something that has nothing to do with me. When you have a sore throat, I go out of my way to give you whatever I have that could help you. Whether it be my own water or medication. The fact that you trust me enough to take medicine from me is an achievement in itself.

Like a deep paper cut, you've seeped into my life more than I ever thought you would.  I have no idea if this means anything though. Maybe it was accidental, like pretty much every paper cut. Maybe you're just being the nice, genuine, caring, charming guy you are and I'm just one of the ones who have fallen.

I don't know where I stand with you. As much as I want to know the answer to this, I'm afraid of the answer you would give. I'm afraid that you would fade away until we were strangers again.   However, I really hope that you aren't completely like a paper cut. All paper cuts disappear eventually. I'm terrified that you'll do the same.

Please stay.