Bitter-sweet Feelings

Stories of Us - One Shot Collection

So, how should I say this? I'm not really the best at expressing my feelings towards anyone, but I'm willing to make an attempt, as awkward as I will sound. 

 

I like you. A lot.

 

Ok, maybe it's a bit more complex than that. So I'm going to let out everything in the hope of untangling the knotted threads which are my thoughts:

 

When I met you, we didn't really talk much at first. I was more occupied by other things at the time, but I seen you around and you seemed like someone who was fun to talk to. Later on I realised I was right. When we spoke, you were so welcoming and friendly. So much so, I started to worry about what I was saying. Was it the right things to say? Did I sound stupid or arrogant? I hope it was neither of those. Maybe I spoke to much, or spoke about everything you'd rather avoid. I just wanted to make a good impression on you the same way you did on me. Even though some coversations we had were short, I cherish them like any other. Whenever you had to leave, I always anticipated the next time we would meet. This eventually turned into a weekly routine and it genuinely made me really happy to know we were finally becoming friends.

 

The more we spoke, the more I fell. Without realising it, I had became more attatched to our friendship. Whenever you smiled at me, or laughed at my jokes, I felt a strange feeling wash over me. It was a forgein feeling, but I liked it. It made me feel warm inside, yet sometimes it was so overwhelming I swear it could have made me physically sick. It came to a point when even a little glance from across the room made my day. Spending little moments with you makes me feel like I'm flying. Like nothing else in the world matters. The downside...all of these little things probably mean nothing to you.

 

When my friends found out about my growing feelings for you, they told me that you seem to have the same feelings towards me. The butterflies I felt when they said you mentioned me while I was away...they were more like elephants rather than butterflies. I woud nag my friends for every last drop of information, which made them laugh. As much as I loved the possibility of my feelings being returned by you, I didn't want to build my hopes up. As if they weren't already high enough.

 

Some time passed and we got closer still. More people started to notice. Comments such as "You are both so cute together!" and "You should both go out already," were made. Although I denied everything in front of them, I have to admit, I liked it. Even your friends teased you, causing you to blush bright red before hitting them and telling them to shut up. That blush. Such a rare sight from you. I was somewhat honoured to be the reason behind it. Even though you told them, "we're just good friends." I hope that was a lie, though it is probably highly unlikely. People say we suit each other, but I feel so bashful around your flawless presence. 

 

I've never felt so committed to a feeling towards someone, if that's possible. I go out my way to be with you. I drop everything I'm doing to help you out when you need a favour. You make me so happy, yet you can make me cry for the same reasons. The same silly reasons  that make me fall harder for you each day. The innocent look in your eye, that perfect smile. I would pay anything to know what goes on in that head of yours. The thoughts which make you the caring, funny, intellegent and overwhelmingly beautiful person you are. I feel incredibly lucky to have met you. I cherish the memories we have made and hope that more memories can be made with you in the future.

 

Though, as much as I want and do love you, I'm afraid that's impossible. Whether you feel the same way or not.

 

While I was caught up in my own moments of bliss, I didn't realise that all of this was hurting someone who is very important to me. A treasured friend of mine, who also has these feelings.

 

Yes. I was so blind not to notice that every moment I spent with you, tore her apart. Or maybe deep down I knew, but I was too selfish to think twice about it. Although being with you fills me with joy, I can't ignore her feelings. I can't pretend I'm clueless. The constant arguments late at night ended with both of us getting hurt. We both felt horrible after it and I really never want to make her feel that way again, though she keeps apologising to me about it. If I hadn't let these feelings swallow me whole, then the fighting would never have happened. I wouldn't have been at risk of losing such a precious friend.  Although I would have dropped what I was doing to be with you, I've finally came to my senses. Our friendship is not something I'm willing to lose. 

 

The funny thing is, it sounds like I'm breaking up with you, but you've probaby never seen me as more than a friend anyway. That makes it a little easier to get over you I guess. We can still talk of course, we were friends before I fell for you. Howevever this time, I will distance myself a bit more for the sake of others. It feels bitter-sweet, but I'll live. Knowing that she is no longer hurting because of me is a massive relief, that's the main thing. She seems a lot happier now.  If anything, you've taught me a life lesson that I never knew the answer to until I was actually put in the situation. So thank you for everything.

 

I hope you'll be happy with her.