Chapter 30

Ice Cream Love

Thanks to ninjakona and ByungByung_Wuv for the comments and Ayoitsnazilla and animedork2012 for the up-votes. Also, a big thanks to all those who subscribed.


L.Joe hummed to himself as he fixed his tie. It was a bright and beautiful Monday and L.Joe was getting ready to go to school. He flipped his blonde hair and smirked cockily at himself in the mirror.

It was probably the first time the blonde was excited to go to school. Mainly because school meant he could see Soomi again. Just the thought of the brunette brought a smile to L.Joe’s face.

A smile that soon dissipated as he heard a car pulling into his driveway. L.Joe walked over to his window and peered down to where a sleek black car had arrived. The front door opened and the driver hurried to open the back door.

L.Joe frowned distastefully as a woman of about forty got out of the car. She was dressed in a designer red dress and wore big black sunglasses. L.Joe’s good mood had gone down the drain.

He quickly grabbed his bag and keys and made his way downstairs. If he hurried, he figured he wouldn’t have to meet the wretched woman outside.

Alas, luck didn’t seem to be on his side that day. The blonde’s hand had barely reached the front door’s knob that he heard the shrill and fake voice of his stepmother.

“Byunghun-ah,” she called in that cheery voice she always put on. “Aren’t you going to greet your mother?”

L.Joe frowned deeply. “You’re not my mother.”

The woman waved a dismissive hand. “Come and sit, let’s talk for a while. It’s been so long,” she sat gracefully on one of the couch seats and gestured L.Joe to another.

Suspiciously, L.Joe returned to the living room and took a seat. “What do you want?” he spoke bluntly.

A small frown appeared on the woman’s face but she managed a smile again. “Well, Paris was just lovely. It’s the most beautiful place and everything about it is just so delightful. The food, the people and the clothes. Oh, we should definitely go there again.”

L.Joe muttered, “Glad you had fun spending my father’s money.”

The woman cleared awkwardly. “Well were you off to school?”

L.Joe nodded stiffly. He wished to make as little conversation with his stepmother as possible.

“Are you still going to that no-name school? I told you I would get you into the most prestigious high school in the country but you declined my offer…”

I don’t want your help. I’m perfectly happy at T.O.P High with my friends,’ L.Joe thought to himself.

“I heard something interesting today…” L.Joe’s stepmom continued.

L.Joe was becoming tired of this. ‘When will she stop yapping?’

“I hear you’ve found yourself an actual girlfriend.”

L.Joe was startled. ‘How did she-?!’

“I think it’s great. You should bring her home sometime, I’d like to meet –”

“Why don’t you mind your own business? What I do with my life is none of your concern. Just go back to your world of parties and shopping.” L.Joe’s words were harsh and rude but he felt no remorse.

He hated this woman more than he’d hated anyone else. Just the sight of her caused him to flare up.

L.Joe’s stepmother seemed genuinely hurt. “Byunghun-ah –”

“I have to go,” L.Joe mumbled and walked away.

 

 

 

“What’s wrong with you?” Soomi looked up at L.Joe who was unusually silent.

It was lunch break and the two were in the school garden. L.Joe was sat leaning against a tree and Soomi was leaning against his chest, her legs drawn close to her chest to cradle the book she was reading.

L.Joe seemed to awake from a trance and shot Soomi a confused look.

“Why do you look so distracted? You would have tried to initiate a make-out session by now,” she teased but when L.Joe didn’t smile, she became worried.

“L.Joe, what’s the matter? Is something bothering you?” Soomi closed her book and gave her full attention to her blonde boyfriend.

“It’s nothing, don’t worry about it,” he replied.

Soomi gave him a doubtful look, she knew it wasn’t just nothing but she decided to wait until he was ready to tell her rather than her prying into his private matters.

She placed a soft kiss on his cheek. “I’m here if you need anything. Just remember that, okay?”

L.Joe smiled gratefully. He was still riled up because of his unpleasant conversation with his stepmom that morning. But Soomi’s words made him calm down slightly.

That’s right; I have you and Teen Top, and that’s all I need.’ L.Joe placed a kiss on Soomi’s forehead and smiled reassuringly at her.

                                               

 

Soomi made her way out of T.O.P High all alone. Teen Top had left as soon as lunch break was over, something about ‘gang business’ and Hoya had made a rather lousy excuse and vanished right before the final bell of the day.

Soomi counted the money in her pocket and smiled, she had just enough for a Popsicle. She could beat the summer heat with a cool treat.

But before she had even taken two steps off the school grounds, a man in a neat uniform, much like those worn by chauffeurs, stopped her.

“Park Soomi-ssi?”

Soomi frowned, “Yes?”

“This way please,” the man walked towards a posh car and opened the back door.

A beautiful woman leaned out and smiled at the brunette. “Right this way, dear.”

Soomi looked at her suspiciously; did she really think she’d get into a car with strangers?

“Excuse me, but who are you?”

The woman laughed lightly. “Oh, where are my manners?” She lifted her sunglasses and gave Soomi a dazzling smile. “My name is Lee Joohee. I’m Byunghun’s mother.”