6 ǁ Her True Self

Split Images *Hiatus*

6 ǁ Her True Self

 

You were walking along an endless path lined with full-body mirrors. With each step you took, you saw yourself in a different mirror. In every mirror, you saw the same reflection. Your own reflection gazing back at yourself.

 

*Where am I?*

 

All of a sudden, everything spiralled away into nothingness as you were left alone in the dark. Frantically looking around, you started to panic.

 

*W-what's going on?*

 

"Hana…" a voice called out. It sounded strangely familiar.

 

Turning around sharply, you came face to face with a person, eyes widening when you realized who it was. It was none other than yourself. This 'other you' had your very same face, yet she looked very much different. It was the way she held herself. Her cool demeanour which differed to your timid self. She was someone you wished you could be more like, someone who would be able to stand up for herself.

 

"Y… you're me?" you gasped.

 

The 'other you' let out a laugh. "Weeell, yes and no." She smiled at you as you tilted your head, not quite understanding her words.

 

"What do you mean?"

 

She put a hand on your shoulder. "Be expecting me more often."

 

With that, her image slowly faded away like disrupted water until it disappeared altogether---

 

Feeling something shaking your body awake, your eyes flickered open to the blinding light of the morning. You winced and covered them with your arm, waiting until they finally adjusted to the new lighting. The first thing you saw was a pair of beautiful eyes attached to a handsome face.

 

"Wakey wakey Hana," he chuckled.

 

You jolted up to a sitting position and kept the blanket wrapped around your body. "Daehyun! W-why are you here?"

 

"Waking you up," he said with a 'duh' expression. It wasn't until he pointed to the clock beside your bed did you realize how late it was already.

 

"10.33?! Oh no I'm gonna be late! I have a class at 11!" Jumping out of bed and scurrying to your cupboards and drawers, you pulled out your clothes for today before sprinting towards your en suite bathroom.

 

"Daehyun you can leave first! I don't want you to be late!" you called before slamming the door close and locking it.

 

Daehyun shook his head in amusement before walking out of your room. The two of you had mended your relationship and were at the point where you no longer addressed each other formally, but you still spoke to him very shyly and politely. So seeing you like this was something different for him.

 

Practically flying down the stairs and into the kitchen, you wolfed down the piece of toast prepared for you along with a glass of milk. You heard someone guffawing and finally noticed Daehyun leaning against the counter with his backpack.

 

"Never knew you could eat like that. Reminds me of Yongguk-hyung, actually."

 

Feeling embarrassed that someone saw you like that, you looked down at the ground. "I was in a hurry…" Realizing you still had a class to get to, you your heels and sprinted out the front door. "I'm still in a hurry!"

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

Zooming past the entrance of your building, you spared a second to check the time on your phone. "10.55." You breathed a sigh of relief. "Made it…"

 

Opening the door to your classroom, you made your way to your seat next to Miyun, where the other two were clustered around.

 

"Good morning!" you waved.

 

They smiled at you. "Morning Hana."

 

"Why so late today?" Miyun asked. "You're usually here earlier."

 

"I slept through my alarm…" you answered glumly. "Luckily Daehyun woke me up."

 

"D-daehyun… woke you up?" You thought you saw Miyun's expression change a bit, but then she brightened up right away. "Aww, now why can't I be in your place!"

 

Your teacher then walked into the room, so Hyesu and Eunmi went back to their seats.

 

"Alright second-year. For this year's annual function, the performing arts coordinator has decided to give the opportunity for second-year students to audition for the leading role of the play. I believe many of you in here have got the potential to take on this role, so I hope you will take this chance to show everyone what you've got!"

 

A buzz of excitement filled the room.

 

"Hana,  are you going to do it?" Miyun asked.

 

You shook your head defiantly. "Aniyo…"

 

She raised her eyebrows and leaned towards you, obviously interested. "Why not? You can sing, right?"

 

"Well…" You lowered your gaze. "I'm scared of big crowds… I have stage fright."

 

"Oh." Miyun nodded her head. "Well then, I'm going for it!"

 

"Really?!" you exclaimed, widening your eyes. "You'll do great! I'm cheering you on!"

 

 

 

The auditions were to be held two days later. On your way to the auditorium, you bumped into a figure.

 

"Oof!"

 

"Hana?"

 

You looked up at the person and saw two others behind him. "Oh Daehyun, sorry I wasn't looking."

 

"Clumsy as always," he snickered. You looked down sadly, just to get your hair ruffled. "I'm kidding."

 

"Noona, are you here to see the auditions?" Jongup asked.

 

You nodded. "Yep! I'm cheering on Miyun who's auditioning."

 

Youngjae furrowed his eyebrows. "You're not auditioning? I heard from Yongguk-hyung that you loved plays."

 

"I've got s-stage fright…" you stammered. "I c-can't perform in front of b-big crowds."

 

"Aw that's a shame," Youngjae frowned. "Oh well, let's head in and get a good spot."

 

As you were walking in, Daehyun stared at your back. *That is a shame, for someone with such an amazing voice.*

 

 

Time passed, as you saw many second-year students perform.

 

"Second-year, Kang Miyun!" the coordinator announced.

 

You started clapping like an excited seal as soon as Miyun stepped out onto stage. As soon as the first few notes left , you were surprised. You've never heard her sing before, so you never knew she could sing so well. *She's got this!* You pumped your fists in support and beamed at her performance.

 

As soon as she was finished, the whole auditorium cheered for her.

 

You quickly ran to meet her backstage. "Miyun, you were amazing!"

 

"Thanks!" She was obviously delighted with the response from the crowd. "Do you think I'll get the lead role?"

 

"Definitely! You'll definitely get it! You were the best!"

 

Miyun just smiled happily to herself.

 

"And next, the final audition for the day," you heard the voice say through the speakers. "Second-year… Kim Hana!"

 

You felt your heart drop as soon as heard your name. *What?*

 

"Hana-noona's auditioning?" Jongup asked from the audience.

 

"That girl totally trolled us before!" Youngjae laughed.

 

But Daehyun was silent. He sensed something was wrong. *Hana wouldn't lie about something like this… something's not right.*

 

"Kim Hana?" the coordinator said. "It's your turn."

 

"But I'm not auditioning!" you frantically explained to Miyun. She just smiled at you before shoving you onto stage.

 

"M-miyun!" you called out, expecting her to help you out of this situation. But she just turned her back on you and walked away. *Mi… yun?*

 

Finally letting your eyes land on the crowd of students waiting for you to perform, you felt your whole body freeze up. Having to perform in front of so many people was frightening.

 

"What are you waiting for?!" you heard someone from the crowd yell. Soon, the whole auditorium started murmuring about why you were just standing there, some insults being thrown through the air.

 

You felt tears start to well up in your eyes. Everything was just too overwhelming. You wanted to run away but your feet were rooted to the ground, your body frozen. Observing all this, Daehyun wanted to go up there and pull you away, but a voice interrupted him.

 

"I'll perform with her."

 

Gasps were heard as heads turned towards the figure walking onto stage.

 

You stared at him with wide eyes. "Y-yoseob sun… bae?" you managed to say.

 

Yoseob handed you a mic, holding one of his own. "Let's do this, yeah? Show everyone what you've got." He flashed you a reassuring smile before grabbing your free hand and giving it a light squeeze.

 

Before you knew it, you were smiling back at him when you recognized the tune being played through the speakers. It was the song you two sang together the first time you met.

 

Feeling a rush of confidence go through you, you sang your first few lines.

 

I'm very curious, I'm curious about everything

Why can't I go to sleep and can only see your face?

 

Instantly, the auditorium fell silent as all ears focused on your singing. There was no doubt everyone in the room was surprised at the voice which came from you.

 

Your eyes fell on Yoseob who was singing with you. He was smiling back at you.

 

No I love you, you

Now I will tell you everything of my heart

Will you believe in me (I'll believe in you)

In my love (in this love)

Let's walk together side by side

The two of us

 

Instantly, the whole auditorium stood up to give the two of you a standing ovation. You just stared out at the big crowd in shock.

 

"Great job Hana. I knew you could do it."

 

You turned to smile at Yoseob gratefully. "Thank you. If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't be able to do it."

 

As soon as the cheers died down, the coordinator decided to wrap it up. "The auditions have now concluded. Thank you all for the amazing performances today. The decisions will be posted up on the bulletin in a few days time. Thank you."

 

Walking offstage, you met the boys.

 

"Yongguk-hyung would be so proud of you. You did great Hana," Youngjae praised.

 

"That was amazing Noona!" Jongup smiled. "You'll get the lead role for sure!"

 

"But I… I didn't even want to audition… I don't know how my name got mixed up into the list," you said in confusion. Then, the image of Miyun shoving you on stage with a blank expression flashed in your mind. *Did… Miyun do this?*

 

A hand on your shoulder broke you out of your thoughts. "You were the best out there today."

 

"Thank you Daehyun." He ruffled your hair while chuckling.

 

"No…" You tried fixing your hair just for Daehyun to mess it up again. "Daehyun!"

 

"Alright, alright. But you look so funny when you're angry."

 

You pouted and stalked off.

 

"Wait up Noona!" Jongup called before going after you. Youngjae and Daehyun followed, but not before the latter was given a slap in the head for bullying you.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

Three girls watched your interaction with the boys, one in particular feeling particularly irritated with how close you seemed to be with Daehyun.

 

"I thought she had stage fright!" Hyesu frowned.

 

Miyun glared after you. "She got lucky this time. But this is just the beginning."

 

Eunmi nodded her head in agreement. "You'll win in the end Miyun."

 

A frightening aura clouded her as her eyes glazed over.

 

"I always win."

 

 

=============================

 

@Adelene: You were right! Miyun's evil D:

And thanks to all my subscribers, hope you liked this chapter ^^