11 ǁ You Like Him

Split Images *Hiatus*

11 ǁ You Like Him

 

 

"The winner of this year's female auditions is … … … Kang Miyun!" the co-ordinator announced. "Congratulations Miyun-haksaeng!" There was a few seconds of silence before the class applauded hesitantly, as if they weren't too sure as to whether they were happy with the result or not.

 

But you didn't notice that. As much as you were feeling disappointed, you still congratulated Miyun sincerely from your heart. In fact, you didn't even notice the puzzled look etched upon your Professor's face.

 

She cleared awkwardly before whispering something to the co-ordinator. His eyes widened in surprise when he heard her words.

 

"Ahem… class…" he started, rubbing his hands together. "Sorry, there has been a little mix-up in the names. I apologize to Miyun-haksaeng. I meant to say that Kim Hana-haksaeng is the winner." You straightened in your seat as soon as those words left his mouth. He glanced in your direction to confirm that he was indeed referring to you. Loud murmuring filled the room once again at this revelation. "I apologize for my careless mistake. Hana-haksaeng will be year's female lead whilst Miyun-haksaeng will be offered the understudy position. Congratulations Kim Hana!"

 

The co-ordinator quickly bid your class good day before leaving, saying he had other things to attend to. And so, all the attention was again on you. You felt someone poking you on the back and turned around to face a hyper Youngjae and Daehyun, holding up their thumbs with wide grins stretched across their faces.

 

"You did it Hana!" Daehyun beamed. You couldn't contain your smile and thanked them.

 

"Let's go celebrate with the others tonight!" Youngjae suggested. "How does noraebang sound?"

 

Your eyes glittered at that. "Noraebang? N-ne!"

 

They both nodded. "Then it's settled!"

 

You were feeling really excited about this since you haven't been able to go since that one time you went many years ago. Remembering back to that time, Yongguk had taken you out to karaoke with just the two of you to cheer you up after a horrible day at school. Throwing away whatever tough and manly image he had, he did everything he could to make you laugh again. His silly singing and antics were still vivid in your mind and you found yourself smiling at the memory. Yongguk really has done so much for you. He was the best cousin anybody could ever wish for.

 

 

~~~

 

 

You were leaving your final class for the day when a familiar figure blocked your way. Miyun stood before you with a guilty expression plastered on her face. She played with her fingers and avoided making direct eye-contact with you.

 

"H-hana… can we talk? I need to tell you something… please?" Honestly, you were feeling upset with how she reacted to the incident earlier today, but you felt that it was unfair on your part if you didn't hear her out. So you nodded and let her lead to an empty area behind the building. Taking a seat on a bench, you stared at the ground and waited for her to start talking. Miyun sat down next to you awkwardly.

 

"Hana-yah. I just want to say that I'm really sorry for not believing you and accusing you like that." Hearing this, you lifted your head and faced her. Her expression screamed guilt, repent and distress and you started feeling bad for her. "I know I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions like that. I should've known that you weren't that kind of person. I'm really sorry Hana-yah."

 

And of course being the naïve, kind-hearted girl you were, you had already forgiven her by the time she finished her apology. It was never hard for one to receive your forgiveness because you could never hold a grudge against anyone who had admitted their wrong. That was just the person you were. But others just took advantage of this trait of yours -- just like Miyun was doing now.

 

She faked a hopeful look, which burst out into a tearful smile when you shook your head and said "It's ok Miyun-ah. I forgive you." Miyun reached forward and pulled you into a grateful hug, effectively concealing the smirk that formed on her lips.

 

"Thank you so much Hana-yah!" she beamed. "You know what we should do?"

 

You tilted your head. "What is it?"

 

"We should go noraebang tonight! To celebrate for you!"

 

You froze in your spot, but Miyun continued jumping around excitedly. "Say yes, Hana! Let's go noraebang!"

 

"Miyun-ah, I'm really sorry… but I'm going with my cousin and the others…" you explained a little sullenly. "I'm really sorry…"

 

She immediately lost all her hype and looked crestfallen. "Oh… I see. Well, hope you guys have fun then." Miyun forced a smile. "I'll be going now then." You watched her back figure as she slowly dragged herself away and immediately felt horrible inside.

 

"Miyun, wait!" She turned around sadly and you ran up to her with a great, big smile. "How about you join us then!"

 

Her eyes widened as the bright Miyun was instantly revived. "Really?! That would be daebak! You're the best, Hana!"

 

You just beamed at her innocently, completely clueless to the wheels winding inside her scheming brain at rapid speed.

 

 

~~~

 

 

Himchan slung his arm around your shoulder as you and the other boys walked towards the entrance of the building. "We're going to sing heaps of duets tonight!" he chirped, but was interrupted by Yongguk pulling you away from him protectively.

 

"Don't touch my cousin," was all he said before walking off with you. Daehyun snickered.

 

Himchan pouted and started complaining to Youngjae, who didn't give a damn about his hyung's incessant ranting. He continued all the way up to the lady at the counter, who was shooting him strange looks.

 

Zelo frowned. "There should be a limit to how embarrassing hyung can get." Jongup nodded frantically in agreement. But as soon as Himchan saw the lady, he switched to his 'manly' mode.

 

"Oh hey there."

 

The others rolled their eyes and pulled him away to their booked room.

 

Youngjae glanced at the time on his phone. "We're expecting another person soon." And as soon as he said that, the door flung open to reveal … Miyun. "Well I was referring to someone else…" he muttered softly.

 

"Miyun!" you called happily. She smiled and waved at you before doing so with each and every one of the guys. Unknown to you, she tried pulling off the sweet but cheerful card. She took a seat next to Daehyun, who shifted away slightly out of discomfort.

 

Not long after a figure came through the door and it was none other than Yoseob. 

 

Yongguk gave him a fist bump and grinned. "Long time no see Yoseob." *They probably knew each other from college* you thought.

 

Youngjae got up to greet him. "Sunbae! Glad you could make it."

 

"Of course! We're celebrating Hana's great achievement, isn't that right?" He looked over to you and you found yourself ducking your head shyly, your face slowly heating up. He made his way over to you. "Congratulations Hana. I knew you would be able to do it."

 

You smiled at him with gratitude. "All thanks to you, Yoseob-sunbae. If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't even have the courage to participate." The two of you continued staring at each other until a very loud cough interrupted you.

 

"Ah, my throat's itchy," was Daehyun's excuse. So you good-naturedly handed him a glass of water from the table which he thanked you for. Unfortunately, a certain someone observed all of this with ill intent.

 

"Hana!" A microphone was shoved in her face. "Duet with me!" Himchan grinned. Yongguk pushed his face away and swiped his mic. "Her favourite cousin gets to go first." So he had no choice but to wait his turn, which never seemed to come because every time there was someone who kept interrupting him.

 

"Stop sulking hyung. It doesn't look good," Youngjae smirked.

 

Himchan glared at him. "You guys are just being mean. No one wants to duet with me!"

 

You felt bad for him so you eventually managed to get him a mic and sung with him when SISTAR's 'Alone' came on. Everyone burst out laughing when he started doing the leg dance and tried getting you to join in. But of course,  you couldn't bring yourself to do so.

 

"Hana-noona, daebak! Your voice can match any song," Zelo complimented when it was over. You shook your head but thanked him before yet another familiar tone started playing. It was the OST song from the popular cable drama 'Reply 1997'. Miyun took a mic and held another in front of Daehyun.

 

"Daehyun-oppa. Could you sing 'All for you' with me?" she asked with puppy-dog eyes. Honestly, he wanted to decline but after you started clapping for them to sing, he just couldn't bring himself to. So he gave Miyun a weak smile and nodded, to her glee.

 

You've been told countless times by others how amazing Daehyun's voice was, but you've never had the chance to hear it for yourself. You had no idea he possessed such a unique singing voice, so when you heard it for the first time it blew you off your feet. He was also singing one of your favourite songs, so you enjoyed it even more when he absolutely nailed it. You found yourself swaying to the music and clapping with the beat.

 

"Noona seems to have really liked that," Jongup said. You nodded.

 

"Yep! I really love that song and Daehyun and Miyun sung it really well," you said with no sense of exaggeration. "Their voices match really well!"

 

Miyun heard this and beamed. "Really?!" She turned to Daehyun with a huge grin. "Hana said we match really well!"

 

*No, she just said our voices matched well. And I beg to differ anyway. She was just being nice* Daehyun thought while laughing awkwardly and sitting on the other side of you, away from Miyun. She furrowed her eyebrows and grabbed the remote, entering a song. "I've chosen the next song for Hana to sing," she announced. The song title flashed on the screen. It read: 'What I want to do when I have a lover, by G.NA and Rain'.

 

You smiled. "I know that song."

 

"That's a duet. Who's going to sing with her?" Yongguk asked. Daehyun's ears perked at that and he opened his mouth to volunteer. But someone beat him to it.

 

"I know who will be perfect for this song," Miyun simpered. She turned to her sunbae. "Yoseob-oppa!"

 

All eyes flickered to the guy who was sitting quietly at the end of the couch. He just looked at you with that gentle smile of his and said, "Ok. Let's sing it Hana."

 

Strangely enough, those five simple words of his made you feel giddy inside. The melody started and it was your part, singing of all these things you would want to do when you have a boyfriend. It was light-hearted and sweet and made you feel happy just by singing it. All this while, 7 pairs of eyes were glued to your cheerful expression as you sang flawlessly.

 

The end of the first chorus came and it was now Yoseob's part. You watched him as he sang and clapped lightly with the melody. Like your part, he sang of what he would want to do when he has a girlfriend. But different to you, he stared at you while he effortlessly sang. Your heart beat turned erratic as your entirety became flustered under his gaze, but you found yourself staring back at him. Even when it came to the two of you harmonising through to the end of the song, your eye contact never ceased. Yoseob never failed to make you feel as if he was singing directly to you with that kind smile of his.

 

You finally looked away first when the others cheered. Smiling sheepishly, you excused yourself to the bathroom. After you turned a few corners, you heard Miyun calling after you so you spun around.

 

"Eo, Miyun-ah. You need to go to the bathroom too?"

 

She just smiled at you wryly and nudged you playfully. "Why did you run away from your Prince Charming?"

 

Immediately, you flushed red but you tried to hide it. "W-what are you talking about!"

 

Miyun clucked her tongue. "I saw everything back there with you and Yoseob-oppa. All the staring into each other's eyes and stuff. You two lovebirds are so cheesy!"

 

Frantically waving your hands, you shook your head and denied it. "I-it's not like that Miyun! It's not, really!"

 

There were a few moments of silence as the two of you just stood there. You thought maybe she would've dropped the subject, but you were clearly mistaken when she said, as clear as day, "You like Yoseob-oppa."

 

Your eyes widened in shock. "M-miyun! W-what…" You couldn't form any words after that, to which she just smirked then laughed.

 

"Oh you are so clueless Hana. Not even denying it, I see. So you really do like him. Don't you?" she asked again. Feeling helpless and at a loss for words, you ended up nodding shyly.

 

"Maybe a little…" you finally mumbled.

 

Miyun jumped up and muffled a squeal. "Oh my god you really do Hana! I'm sure he likes you too!" You just shook your head and continued on your way, Miyun hot on your heels.

 

Meanwhile, a figure was just around the corner when they heard the two of you talking. Their eyes popped open in shock when they heard your little confession. *H…hana?*

 

 

===

 

Sorry for not updating sooner. And sorry if this chapter was a little boring, but I needed to get this out before the story could progress a bit. Welcome new subscribers and thank you for reading! It would be great if you guys could comment more but then it's all up to you so I won't press on it :) See you all the next chapter ^^