Lucky Fan

A Fan's Dream Come True

Over the next year, I became a hardcore fan of Exo, especially of Suho. I watched their interviews and performances on Youtube and followed up on updates on their fan sites. Whenever the members teased Suho of having a girlfriend during variety shows or interviews, I would feel a bit jealous like any other fan. When they announced that New York was going to have a SMTown concert, I was super excited. My friends and I went to the concert and decided to go to Exo’s meet-and-greet the next day. After school, my friends and I met up and rushed into the city to wait in line. Because we are all college students, we were able to leave during noon to go line up. When we were allowed into the hall, we were able to be one of the first ones there, so we were able to get a space right up front. When the performance started, everyone went crazy. A few fans started jumping and were rubbing their chests on my back, which I did not enjoy because eventually, one of them put her hands on my shoulders to help her jump higher... Another fan used Tara’s shoulder as an arm rest, which was really rude, in my opinion. I resisted the urge of turning around and glaring at them. After Exo performed a few of their hit songs, some staff members brought out stools for them to sit on while a representative from one of their biggest fan sites interviewed them. After a while, the members were given T-shirts to sign and give to fans. Kris had thrown his T-shirt into the middle of the crowd and I heard girls scream as they fought for the shirt. When it was Suho’s turn, he walked up to the edge of the stage where my friends and I stood and personally handed his T-shirt to me. I stared up at him and smiled like an idiot. He smiled back at me and went back to his seat. The fans around me were either screaming or trying to snatch the shirt from me. The other members had thrown their T-shirts into the crowd rather than handing it to certain people like Suho. During the whole time, I hugged the T-shirt to my chest and refused to let it go. Before the members prepared to perform more of their hit songs, Suho signaled for me to look at the T-shirt. I did as he told me and when I looked at where he marked the T-shirt, I saw a message above his signature. “Will you be my girlfriend?” I felt my jaw drop and I stared up at him with wide eyes. He smiled at me and I returned his smile. I nodded my head and his smile widened. I returned to hugging the T-shirt to my chest and watched the rest of their performances. I watched Suho as they performed and I noticed that Suho would look at me sometimes while he performed and smiled. Eventually, the night came to an end. Because my friends had to use the bathroom, we stayed behind as the other fans rushed out into the night, feeling excited. I had placed the T-shirt in my bag right after their performance ended, and I found myself thinking about Suho. When my friends got out of the bathroom, we were on our way out of the building when I heard my name being called. When I turned around, I saw the Exo members walking out of a room with their manager, stylists, and bodyguards. I smiled when I saw Suho. He allowed everyone else to walk ahead of him and when he came over to me, he smiled brightly. “Will you be my girlfriend?” he asked in English. I smiled widely and replied, “yes, I will.” Suho hugged me and I hugged him back. “I missed you. I think about you all the time” he said in English. “Me too” I replied. He pulled back. “I can’t stay for long. I’m leaving tomorrow to go to LA” he said in Korean. “It’s okay. I’ll go back to Korea to visit” I said in Korean. He smiled at me. “See you soon. I’ll miss you” he said and we hugged again before he left to join his group. My friends were smiling at me when I turned to face them. On our way home, my friends were teasing me.