1

Fractured Residuum

 

 

 

The streetlights flicker as you walk slowly on the city's empty streets. The night had already unfolded and the stars shone dimly under the midnight sky.

 

You wrap your arms around yourself, keeping yourself warm from the whistling of the cool evening breeze. The trees around you dance and shuffle along with the swaying of the wind.

You neatly tuck your hair behind your ears as you kept on your steady pace to your midnight escape.

 

Tonight is something you still have to think about. You thought that you were already set on your decision, it was time and he needed to know how you felt. He needed to know that it's not okay and that you were hurting.

 

Hurting from his unbreakable silence; the way he kept quiet about everything. He never spoke a word and never bothered to try when things were getting rough for the two of you. He never talks to you about his day or the work he does. He never tells you when he has problems or when he needs to be with you. He kept on with his silence and all he did was listen or look. You wonder if he ever hears what you really wish him to hear. Does he even feel that you're hurting?

 

It's so unbelievably odd that you're now leading to this road because you know you both love each other, deeply. It wasn't a secret to anyone that you're both in love.

 

When you two started, you thought that actions were enough. That his simple gestures of sweetness are enough for you to know he loves you. It used to feel nice, the way his hands snake around your waist when you wake up in the morning, the way he smiles shyly and bites his lip before he kisses you gently, the way he whispers 'good morning' to your ear. The way it made you smile as he pulls you back to bed; it was nice. Was.

 

But you never heard a lot from him; he doesn't leave notes when he'll be gone even before you wake up, he doesn't text or call during your anniversary, or any special date at that matter. The worst part is, you never heard it come from his own lips, those three words any woman would wish to hear. He was never a man of words; and would only speak when necessary. And even if you knew, it now dawned on you that actions are never enough.

Words; sentences, moments, feelings, Sometimes it’s not enough to simply just know, those important things scream so desperately to be heard too.  The time when a feeling isn't enough to pierce through the soul, words come in. Words that comfort, words that assure, words that make you feel safe, make you feel good, and make you feel loved. You needed that; everybody needed that. He just never got the memo because he kept on his own silent world and you couldn't reach him anymore, and like wise his actions are insufficient to reach you.

 

You start to see the building you're going to; the place he's coping in the long nights when he's not home; his studio. And lately he's always just there. Always not home. Always not calling. Did he hate you already? Was he tired of you? What did you do wrong anyway? How were you lacking? You push back your tears because he doesn't need that. He doesn't need to see you cry, you don't want to be with him because of his guilt. Also those tears would hold you back somehow because you know that once he sees you cry he'd wrap his arms around you, engulfing your sorrow into his comforting warm embrace. And it wasn't fair anymore.  How could he just make you feel like everything's ok with one touch? He doesn't play fair.

 

You step in the building and most of the lights are closed. Taking careful steps as you made your way towards the dimly lit hallway and then to the elevator. You pressed the button and waited patiently for it to arrive on your floor. You leaned yourself against the corner; humming soft tunes to calm yourself slowly but your stomach dropped instantaneously as the elevator door opened. For at the end of the hallway was his studio. Your heart felt like it would beat itself to it's last. Heartbeats that echoed through the whole room made you feel more and more nervous. Were you ready? All the mental pep talk you've done leads to this. Your feet just kept on going forward even when your mind greatly protested.

 

Were you ready to not feel his touch, not see his smile, not feel his warm embrace, not hear his deep voice in the morning.

Were you ready to wake up in the morning to that empty space? Were you ready to stop your morning banters to him? Were you ready to stop spending the time of the day just snuck up next to each other; with no words, just the sound of his breathing with yours? Basically; were you ready to stop loving him?

 

You knock on the door of his studio before you entered. Peeking through the small opening on the door to check inside; and there he was, busy with his works. The huge white headphones covering both his ears, with only the lights from the screen illuminating his face. His fingers busy with the synthesizers and the keyboard of the computer. You always have admired his passion for music, it was remarkable when you watched him work and his eyes glow with excitement. He loved his work, and it hurts right now as the thought engulfs you. That maybe he loved that more than you.

 

You were inside the room now and still you were unnoticed. You heave out a heavy sigh, because it's as expected of him. Maybe that's the push you needed to go on because you couldn't take this one more night. It would kill you to go on for one more night.

 

You approached him and you gently lifted the white headphones off his ear; he cautiously looks back to meet your eyes.

Surprised by your sudden appearance, he was a bit startled as he took your hand and held it lightly; that same touch that keeps making you come back, but not this time. You wished he'd fight more this time.

 

He looked at you as he kissed your hand, then whispering sweet nothings to you but you gently took your hand back and it alarmed him greatly. He tilts his head and he faced you sternly. Standing up from his seat as he watched you fight back your tears. The feelings inside you are so mixed up that you just want to cry to him, but then in one moment your mouth dared to speak even if your mind willed against it. Even before he could lift his hand to comfort you.

 

"Bang.."

 

"What's wrong?"

 

"Let's break up... It already hurts."

 

The moment the words escaped your lips, your insides felt like a thousand daggers stabbed you, making you feel pain slowly in every inch of your body. The only hope you cling on to was that he fights for you. That maybe, he would try to heal you. Revive your wounded body and fight to bring you back. But all he does was look back in silence, like how he always does. He looks at your eyes directly, adding insult to your injuries. His eyes are a puzzle and till the end you couldn't solve it. He parted his shut lips as he threw the last two daggers to your already bleeding heart.

 

"..Ok then."

 

You're shattered. You wanted to disappear from the world right at that very spot. He doesn't even try to fight it, or ask or question. He knows and he gave you up just as easily as he blinks his eyes.

 

"...You're not..even gonna try to..?"

 

"..You were always the sensible one.."

 

You wished you could both be foolish just for once. But it doesn't happen because up until the end, he let you have your way.

 

He took you in his arms one last time, the broken you. With arms that acted as the fortress to keep you intact. You said no words, you just let him take you. Your tears falling like streams and your sobbing unending like rain. You felt his gentle lips touch the crown of your head and finally surprising you with words that you wished you had heard before.

 

"I love you.. but I'm sorry."

 
----------
 
Thank you for reading!:)
A fitting song for this is :"What My Heart Tells Me to Do; BAP"
 
<3 Dani
 
Comments are most welcome!! :D