Premonition

Premonition

"Good morning." Woohyun said cheerfully while taking the bread from the toaster.  Hoya just muttering a weak "morning" before sitting across of Woohyun and taking a cup of coffee.

"Wooow...panda eyes. You really can't get any sleep last night?" Woohyun said while pour a cup of coffee.

"I slept almost dawn."

"Are you okay? You want me to drive you to school?"

"Aniyo...I'll take the bus." Hoya said while giving a weak smile.

"Really? Then call me after you finished school. It's my pay day. You said you want new sneakers , right?" Woohyun said while looking at some articles in the morning newspaper. Hoya smiles. His brother care about him a lot. He doesn't even remember about the new sneakers, but Woohyun does. He took a note to buy Hoya the new sneakers on this month pay day.

"Hyung, do you believe in premonition?"

"No. Why?" Woohyun still has his eyes fixed on the newspaper.

"Nothing it's just....it feels like one." Hoya said hesistately. Woohyun looks at him.

"Hoya, is it that bad? The nightmare." He asked. The younger just looks down and nodded. Woohyun sighs.

"What was it all about? What happened to you in that dream?"

"It's not about me, Hyung. That's why it feels so bad."

"Then about who?"

"You." Hoya said while looking at his brother face.

"Me? What happened to me?"

"You're drowning. Sinking underwater. Slowly disappear. And I can't help you." He said with a very slow voice. But a few second he hear the older chuckles instead.

"Don't worry. It won't happen. It's just a dream, Hoya."

"Why?"

"There's no way, I will drown. I'm a good swimmer." Woohyun smiles while looking back to his newspaper.

 

But the same nightmare keeps happening. Night after that...and after that...and after that. Hoya wakes up to the same nightmare. It scares him a lot. Not just because it's keep happening, but also because Woohyun keeps saying that it's just a stupid random dream. Then why the random dreams keep happening on repeat?

Hoya took two pills of aspirin and swallows it. He gulps the water and grin at the bitter tastes that stick in his tongue. He didn't get any sleep last night. Because every time he closes his eyes, he keep getting the same dream. He feels like suffocating. That's why he decide to stay up all night. And that's why he got this stupid headache in the morning.

"I don't think you should go to school today. I'll call your teacher." Woohyun said while take the glass from Hoya's hand after the younger drink all the water.

"I have a test today. I should go."

"Hoya, you look like a mess. You're not going anywhere before you get proper sleep."

"I don't wanna sleep." 

"Hoya...you..."

"I'm scared, hyung. It keeps happening. Every time I close my eyes, it appears. Don't you see it? It's a bad premonition. Something will happen to you." Woohyun can hear the trembling voice of his brother. He put his hand on Hoya's shoulder and pats it carefully.

"Let's go to hospital. I think there's something wrong with your health."

 

Hoya manages to sleep after he took sleeping pills he got from hospital. Woohyun pulls the blanket over his brother body. He's sure it's just a stress. Hoya is a senior in high school. He got a lot of pressure on the things like grades, graduation, and college entrance. Woohyun can understand why his brother act this way. He turns off the light, before finally walk out from Hoya's room.

He gets a little bit better the next day. He still got the dark circle below his eyes, but at least the headache is gone. Maybe it because Hoya finally got a proper sleep...without any dream.

"I think your grade is good enough to enter Seouldae. Just try it. It still has the best Engineering department." Woohyun said while his eyes fixed on his laptop. He's reviewing the auditor's report from some companies.

"I'm not too confindece. Still it's not easy to enter national research university. Should I apply to the private university instead? I think Sogang is good too." Hoya said while practicing at some college entrance pre-test question.

"It's up to you. You're a good student anyway. You'll be good no matter where you study."

 

The day after that Hoya becomes too busy with his college application. He need to prepare a lot for entrance exam and sometimes it's killing him. Woohyun knows that his little brother is an overthinker. Everybody knows, Hoya is good at studying, but still he has low self-confidence.

A few day before the entrance exam day, Hoya wakes up again in the middle of the night. Heavily breathing and sweating a lot. It scares him so much. Hoya feels his lung is suffocating and his vision is blurry. He's shivering in cold even though it's a summer night.

"Hyung..." Hoya called his brother with a trembling voice. No answer. Maybe Woohyun is already asleep. 

"Woohyun hyung..." Hoya called louder. almost like screaming, while his body stiff on the bed. He keeps panting and shivering. A few second later Woohyun appear on his door. Shocked expression to hear Hoya calling out for his name. But he got more shocked to find the younger boy trembling on his bed with cold sweat and pale face.

"Hoya! What's wrong?" He rushed on the side of his brother. The younger is trembling. Woohyun rubbing his back trying to calm him down.

"It comes back. It's happening again."

"The nightmare?"

Hoya nodded. Woohyun see his brother start to tearing up. 

"I'm scared."

"Hoya it's okay...It's just a dream. Is it the same? About me drowning?"

"No. It's different."

"What?"

"Now, I'm the one who's drowning. Underwater. Suffocating. And no one saves me."

 

Woohyun stops his car in front of the school building. Hoya put off his seatbelt and was about to get out from the car. But the older man stops him.

"Hey, Hoya..."

"Mmm..."

"Good luck, okay. Do well. I know you can." Woohyun said with smiles.

"Arasso. Thank you hyung."

"Call me when you're done. I'll pick you up."

"You don't need to. It will tak a long time. I can take the bus. Beside, don't you have work?"

"Nope. It's a day off. That's why I'm planning to visit a friend in Uijeongbu." Woohyun said, but suddenly the expression of the younger man changed. Hoya look at his older brother intensely.

"You're going to Uijeongbu after this?"

"Yeah, why?"

"Don't go hyung." Hoya said suddenly. The younger gives a serious expression. Woohyun got surprised. He doesn't understand why Hoya suddenly act this way.

"Mwo?"

"I don't have a good feeling about it. It's been bothering me a lot. You know that, right? Don't go to Uijeongbu, hyung. It's so far. Something will happen to you. Please don't go" Hoya said almost in the pleading tone.

"Hoya, calm down. Nothing will happen, okay. Besides it's just an hour drive." Woohyun smiles, try to reassures his brother.

"Hyung, road is dangerous. Don't go please. I'm pretty sure something will happen. I've been got this feeling."

"Hey...look at me. Nothing will happen.Take a deep breathe. Calm down. Look at me. You see? I'm your brother. You know how reliable I am. I can swim really well. I'm also a good driver. Plus, I'm such a careful person. So you have nothing to worry. The dream is just a dream. Okay?"

Hoya nodded. He finally takes a deep breathe and calm down.

"Now, go inside. Do your best on the exam. Okay?"

 

6 hours later Woohyun finds himself driving through the highway like a crazy person. He's sure driving over the speed limit. But he doesn't care. He need to drives faster. He needs to arrive faster. 20 minutes later Woohyun find himself running through the hallway. The sounds of his footsteps is echoing through the hallway. Woohyun keeps running. 

"Where is he? Where is my brother?"

"You're relatives of Lee Howon-ssi?"

"Yeah, I'm his older brother."

"I'm so sorry..."

Later Woohyun finds himself staring at the lifeless figure in front of him. He stares blankly. As lifeless as the figure in front of him. Untill finally he's breaking down. He carresed the innocence face of his brother. His fingers running through those closed eyes. Woohyun cries his heart out. This is really happen. The premonition happen. The dream becomes reality.

 

At 13:22 PM. A city bus caught in an accident with a 1 ton truck. The bus was driving through the Jamsil Bridge. The bus driver lost control, crash the bridge barrier and fell on the river. the bus drown underwater. It was carrying 13 passenger. Including Lee Howon. 18 years old. A high school student who just took a college entrance exam.

 

Woohyun still crying while hugging the limp figure in front of him. He can't believe this is actually happening. Hoya was right. About the nightmare. The premonition. He was right. But Woohyun was ignored it. 

Woohyun feeling suffocated. His logical mind can't accept it. What's the used of the premonition, if you still can't change the reality? What's the use to know about the thing that will be happen, if you still have no power to change it?

 

Premonition is a natural part of lives. It's the way how universe giving you a sign about what will happen in the future. Sometimes people notices it, sometimes just ignore it. But either, sometimes people still has no power to avoid that.

 

[Quite long one-shot. I just got the feeling like I want to write it. And i just did. So, here it is.]