Chapter 12

A good heart

VOGUE KOREA

 

Monday, 10 a.m.

[Dara’s Office]

 

 

 

 

Dara finished typing her two-page article.  She gave an approving nod and saved the final version of her work. She entered his email-address and CC-ed a copy to herself.

 

[SEND]

 

“Unnie,” Dara jumped at her seat when Lee Hi called her from the office door.

 

“Sorry to scare you, uhm Gummy-ssi wanted you to be in her office now”

 

“Ok, just a sec” She logged out of her personal email account and went out.

 

 

 

====================================================================================================================

 

 

 

 

 

“Good morning Unnie,” Dara greeted Gummy to get her attention.

 

“Oh Dara, you’re here. Please have a seat.” Gummy was arranging the flowers she received earlier in a vase.

 

“Lovely isn’t it? And I still don’t know who’s sending me these.” She said as she admired the fresh pink tulips.

 

“Yes unnie” Dara kept her answers brief. She didn’t want Gummy to know yet.

 

“I just read your work on the Fashion week. You never fail to surprise me Dara,” Gummy said to her.

 

“I discussed with Bom earlier and we’re using everything” surprisingly Bom and Gummy approved her work and they didn’t need to change a single word she wrote.

 

“I’m just doing my job unnie, please don’t hesitate to change parts of it if you’re not satisfied. As a writer I am always open for your critiques and inputs.”

 

“There’s actually no need for that. I’m satisfied with the way it is.”

 

Dara was touched. She was grateful that the Chief Editor whom she respected praised her. She could only bow and thank her.

 

“Work hard Dara. You have a very big potential.” Gummy said.

 

 

 

 

 

====================================================================================================================

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dara was walking out of the office with a big smile on her face. Nothing could ruin her perfect mood. She was heading towards her office when she heard her colleagues gathering in groups and murmuring to one another.

 

‘Must be one of those juicy office gossips again’

 

She entered her room and was walking to her desk when her phone beeped as she received a message.

 

 

 

From: TY

Dinner 2night 8 my place? I’ll fetch u

 

To: TY

Dinner sounds good 2 me, bt can we head 2 San Rstrant instead?

 

Later it beeped again.

 

From: TY

Ok fine. I’m coming at 7. Don’t be late :)

 

 

 

 

 

She put her phone down and noticed something on her desk that wasn’t there before she left her room. She knew exactly who was the culprit behind this.

 

She held her pink clipboard in front of her and headed towards Minzy’s desk. As usual Minzy was with other colleagues gathering at the corner whispering something in a low voice. She quickly placed the cupcake back into Minzy’s cute cupcake box and closed them.

 

She sneaked towards their direction curious at what they were talking about.

 

 

 

“Mr. Jang replacement will be here today?”

 

“I hope it’s not someone like in the movie Devil wears Prada. Having Gummy ssi is scary enough”

 

“I heard it’s someone from our HQ.”

 

 

 

“Enough, get back to work” A loud voice echoed in the large office. It was Bom who was standing at the middle of the room with both hands on her waist.

 

 

 

Everyone bowed and returned to their seats. One thing Bom disliked was gossiping among co-workers.

 

 

 

“Sorry Bommie I was just passing by” Dara said while walking pass Bom. She glared at her and Dara gave an apologetic look. Although they are considered as sisters, however when they were at work, they kept things professional as Bom could be considered Dara’s superior.

 

“In my office, Dara” she ordered.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

====================================================================================================================

 

 

 

 

 

“What were you thinking? You know how I hated it when they spread nonsense gossips around.”

 

“Sorry Bommie. I was just curious”

 

“You’re forgiven” Bom’s mood suddenly changed after Dara apologized to her.

 

‘Must be her time of the month’ she giggled.

 

 

 

“Dara, I guess they were talking about Mr. Jang’s replacement. It was a sudden announcement as far as I know Mr. Jang still has one week left. So his replacement is not supposed to be here till Friday.”

 

“So I’m meeting them now together with Gummy unnie” Bom informed her, confirming what she heard was true.

 

 

 

“And as your punishment..." 

 

"I’m putting you and Mingkki in charge for Mr. Jang’s farewell party and the new boss’s welcoming party.”

 

 

 

“De,” Dara sighed as she accepted the tasks reluctantly.

 

 

 

====================================================================================================================

 

 

 

“Why’s there an extra piece of cupcake here?” Minzy holding up her cupcake box in the air. Dara was walking towards her room when she overheard Minzy asking the office.

 

She avoided her and quickly walked away but then she remembered something.

 

“Hmm that’s weird” Minzy murmured.

 

 

 

“Mingkki ah. We’re in charge of handling Mr. Jang’s farewell party this Friday night.” Dara said to her excitedly to distract Minzy from her cupcake.

 

 

 

“I need you to look for a nice cozy place enough for all 20 of us. Let me know first before you reserve the place, arasso?”

 

 

 

“Right on it unnie” Minzy quickly got into her work. One of the reasons Dara was glad working with Minzy was how quick she tried to finish her given task.

 

 

 

“Ok, I’ll have the invitation done, I’ll be in my office”

 

 

 

“De unnie”

 

 

 

 

 

====================================================================================================================

 

 

 

 

 

30 minutes later, Dara heard a commotion outside.

 

 

 

She ignored it this time, as she was being warned by Bom earlier.

 

 

 

From a glass window  she saw Gummy and Mr. Jang were walking followed by Bom behind them together with another person. She couldn’t see the person well because her line of sight was blocked by Bom.

 

 

 

“Must be the Mr. Jang’s successor” she thought.

 

 

 

She wondered who could be qualified enough to replace Mr. Jang. Before this there was a rumour among them that Gummy would be promoted to his position and Bom will be taking over Gummy’s. However it seemed like the sudden decision was made by the CEO himself.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

===================================================================================================================

 

 

 

 

 

Mr. Jang led the person towards his office. Upon entering he glanced around the room with a bored expression and gave an approving nod. Mr. Jang knew it wasn’t as grand or luxurious like the ones in their headquarters, knowing where he transferred from.

 

 

“I’m sorry I didn’t know you would come in this soon, I will have the office cleared by today” Mr. Jang said.

 

 

“No worries old man. I don’t have much stuff so take your time. I just need my computer. In fact, I don’t mind working at one of those cubicles.” He pointed and glanced outside the room.

 

 

The female workers quickly lowered their head when they saw him turn facing them. Ever since they came in, they couldn’t stop staring at their soon-to-be boss.

 

 

Mr. Jang chuckled. “Don’t be silly. This is your office now”

 

 

 

“Whatever you say” he answered in a playful manner.

 

 

 

“Directly next to you is Gummy ssi” Mr. Jang now led him into Gummy’s office.

 

 

 

 

 

“Gummy ssi, mind doing the round of introduction?” Mr Jang said to Gummy. The person next to him was looking around her office scanning everything. Obviously Gummy’s office was more organized and had a hint of lavender scent.  He smirked when something on her table caught his eyes.

 

 

 

“My pleasure. Right this way” Gummy walked slightly ahead of him leading the way.

 

 

 

They went around the office and everyone introduced themselves. The wide smile plastered on their face immediately changed when they received cold response from him. He would return their handshake but didn’t take a second glance nor talk to them.

 

 

 

“I’m Gong Minzy, junior columnist. Nice to meet you sir.” Minzy bowed. She was the last person in the hall to be introduced. She couldn’t help feeling nervous after noticing how cold he was towards her colleagues.

 

 

 

“Ahh, Miss Gong..  Minzy. ” He finally spoke. “Nice to meet you,” he shook her hands and smiled. The other co-workers heard him speak for the first time and gasped as they couldn’t believe he’s smiling at the nervous girl.

 

 

 

“You made those?” He pointed at a piece of cupcake inside the box on Minzy's table.

 

 

 

Her mind went blank for a minute. Gummy also couldn’t believe her ears.

 

 

 

“D…De. I made them” “I actually made enough for everyone in the office so I don’t know why there was an extra piece left”

 

 

 

“Can I have them?” he asked.

 

 

 

“N..Ne. Sure.” She handed him the box. Now all eyes were on Minzy. She also looked back at her colleagues wondering what just happened.

 

 

 

 

 

“Oh I almost forgot. How could I miss out our most brilliant writer in VOGUE.” Gummy said when the other colleagues were still in a trance.

 

 

 

“Can’t blame me since her office is at the furthest end.” Gummy's now heading towards Dara's office. She knocked on her door and they entered together.

 

 

 

“Dara meet the new boss. Mr Kwon Ji Yong”

 

 

 

Dara quickly stood up.

 

 

 

“I’m Park Sandara. Nice to meet you Mr. Kw…” She had her hands stretched out for a handshake and her eyes widened as if she's seeing a ghost.

 

No it's WORSE. IT'S HIM.

 

 

 

 

 

'I must be dreaming. This is not happening’

 

‘No freaking way'

 

‘No no.. nooooooo’

 

She stifftened and was not able to move even a muscle. She felt her soul left her body. 

 

 

 

 

“I’m glad to finally meet you Sandara-ssi. I heard A LOT about you” he said while returning her handshake.

 

Gummy was surprised. "You do? I believe not many knew about her because Dara-ssi prefers staying below radar."

 

"She and Bom ssi are our main asset. I’m glad to have her as part of my team.” Gummy explained to Ji Yong.

 

 

 

“I'm glad too. But from now, it’s OUR team Gummy-ssi.” He said.