Surprise Visit

Keyseop

Early November, 2012

            Knock, knock, knock.

            Key looked around the dorm from his position on the couch. He saw Onew and Minho eating dinner at the kitchen table. Taemin was nowhere to be seen, but Key could just barely see Jonghyun’s feet from beneath the door of the open refrigerator. The other boys made no noticeable reaction to the knocking, possibly not hearing over the blaring television. The long day of rehearsals had made everyone tired and lazy, and Key doubted that anything would distract the boys from their food.

            Rolling his eyes, Key pushed himself off the couch, tossing his cell phone back onto the cushions behind him as he walked toward the door. He twisted the knob and pulled the door open, wondering who on earth would be knocking at this hour. The door swung open and he found himself staring directly into a thick wool coat. He looked upward into the face of the visitor and suddenly his stomach leapt.

            “Who is it?” came a voice from behind him. Key turned in time to see Taemin walking toward him from the bedrooms. He slammed the door almost completely shut, just enough that his body blocked the opening.

            “N-no one,” Key stuttered. “Dinner’s ready in the kitchen,” he added, hoping to distract the maknae from the visitor. Taemin shrugged and walked sleepily to the kitchen. As soon as he was out of sight, Key took a deep breath, turned, and slipped through the door into the hallway.

            Hyeongseop stood in front of him, smiling hugely.

            “What are you doing here?!” Key whispered, pulling the door shut behind him as softly as he could. His heart was beating somewhere in his throat as he looked into the deep brown eyes that seemed to smile themselves.

            “I wanted to see you,” Hyeongseop whispered back. He leaned down to kiss Key, but Key ducked at the last second, scanning the hallway nervously.

            “You shouldn’t be here,” Key said as he looked around for anyone who might see the pair.

            “Relax, Kibum,” Hyeongseop told him, still smiling his perfect, sweet smile. “I already checked. There’s no one around. Everyone’s asleep.”

            Key began to protest but as soon as he turned back to Hyeongseop, his mouth was met with the taller boy’s lips. Immediately, any worries Key had of being seen disappeared. In fact, he welcomed the thought of being noticed. He relaxed his mouth and Hyeongseop’s tongue parted his lips. He felt a surge of warmth through his body and his arms impulsively lifted to drape themselves over Hyeongseop’s broad shoulders. He pushed himself up on his toes in order to better meet the kiss.

            Hyeongseop placed his hands on Key’s waist, pulling their hips together, and he stepped forward, pushing Key against the door. The door banged loudly, causing Key to break the kiss and press his ear to it to hear if anyone was coming to check on him. But Hyeongseop continued kissing – not missing a beat – making his way down Key’s neck to his shoulders. Key shivered when Hyeongseop’s lips met his collarbones, and he pushed the boy’s chest gently to get him to stop.

            “Why are you here?” Key asked him. “It’s so late. You usually give me warning.”

            Hyeongseop pressed his forehead against Key’s and laughed softly. “I didn’t feel up to the after party, so I skipped it.  I wanted to surprise you,” he whispered, his nose nudging gently at Key’s. “I knew you had a long day and I thought I might be able to make you feel better.”

            Key blinked, and his eyelashes almost brushed Hyeongseop’s eyelashes. Hyeongseop had always loved the after parties, Key thought, the dancing, drinking, and mingling with the other models. The fact that he would leave one just to surprise me, Key felt another rush of warmth through his body. His arms still around Hyeongseop’s shoulders, he smiled.

            “You always make me feel better, Hyeongseop,” he said.

            “Good,” Hyeongseop grinned down at him. Then he pulled away. “Now get your coat, Kibum. I thought we could go for a walk.” He gestured toward the door.

            Key was suddenly no longer tired from the rigorous rehearsals in preparation for their upcoming comeback. He chose not to question Hyeongseop’s motives and opened the door. As he slid through the doorway, he put a finger to his lips in order to silence Hyeongseop, who merely smiled even bigger, and pushed the door shut behind him.

            Key immediately took in his surroundings. The boys were all still in the kitchen. This surprised him at first, but then he realized he had only been gone a maximum a few minutes. He wondered how easily he could sneak out of the dorm.

            He ran as silently as he could to his room, his feet barely making a sound against the hardwood floor. He worried about how he would look: he had not nearly enough time to coordinate a proper outfit. He changed into a simple pair of black pants and pulled a gray sweater over his tank top. He stopped in the bathroom to fix his hair before grabbing his coat.

            Key pulled his cell phone from between the couch cushions and shoved it into his coat pocket. He was almost toward the door and barely had his coat over his shoulders when he heard a voice call from the kitchen. “Where are you going?” Key turned to see Onew holding a plate and leaning in the doorway that separated the kitchen from the living room.

            “I’m just going out for a walk,” Key told him, turning back toward the door. Not entirely a lie, he thought.

            “This late?” Onew asked. Jonghyun peeked his head over Onew’s shoulders, standing on his toes.

            “Was someone at the door?” Jonghyun asked.

            “No one,” Key said exasperatedly. “I’m just going for a walk. I won’t be gone long.”

            “Remember, tomorrow we have to be—”

            “I know!” Key said as cheerfully as he could, shoving his feet into a pair of platform sneakers without undoing the laces, and opening the door.

            “Wait…” Jonghyun started walking toward the door. “Is that—” he started, but Key slammed the door shut before he could finish his sentence.

            Hyeongseop was leaning against the wall when Key entered the hallway. He smiled as Key stomped his feet to fix his shoes. “You got ready quickly,” he chuckled.

            “Well, you didn’t give me very much time to prepare,” Key hissed back. He finished fixing his shoes and pushed Hyeongseop toward the end of the hallway. “Come on,” he whispered, “I don’t want them to catch us.”

            Hyeongseop followed Key’s instruction, but not before grabbing his hand and pulling him along behind him. Key smiled at the almost comical way he had to take extra steps for each step of Hyeongseop’s long legs as they quickly exited the building.

 

---

 

            “You know I don’t mean anything by that, right?” Key asked Hyeongseop.

            “Mean anything by what?” Hyeongseop seemed confused, and Key could see the sincerity in his eyes.

            They had been walking along the dark street for a few minutes now. It was late January, the moon was almost full, and the wind whipped around their ankles. Key had spent most of the walk so far taking in his surroundings while listening to Hyeongseop telling him about that day’s fashion show. Not much had happened during Key’s day apart from dance rehearsals, and he enjoyed listening to Hyeongseop speak far more than himself. There had been a bout of silence before Key asked Hyeongseop that question.

            “Worrying about us being seen together,” Key explained. “It’s not that I don’t want to be seen with you… I just worry about what other people are going to think.” His words were directed out into the street as he avoided looking at Hyeongseop.

            “Other people are always going to think, Kibum,” Hyeongseop said.

            “You know what I mean, Seop,” Key said, turning back to him. Without breaking eye contact, he added, “I really do like being with you. I wouldn’t want anything to get in the way of that.”

            Hyeongseop smiled and grabbed ahold of Key’s hand. “We just have to be careful.”

            Key nodded but avoided Hyeongseop’s gaze again. Ever since he met Hyeongseop that night for the first time in many years, Key worried that things were happening too quickly. They had already gone on several discrete dates since then, and Key had even met Hyeongseop’s friends. But Key was happy when he was with Hyeongseop, and did not mind the pace at which things were moving. He was most worried of what would happen should their relationship be brought into public eye.

            Key gasped lightly as Hyeongseop suddenly pulled him off the street, snapping him out of his thoughts. Key saw he was being pulled toward a small playground in the distance. Hyeongseop swung his legs over the chain across the playground entrance, and steadied himself on the other side in order to help Key over as well. Still not letting go of his hand, Hyeongseop led Key toward a swing set and sat down.

            Key looked down at him skeptically. “A swing set?”

            “Oh come on,” Hyeongseop said, chuckling, “It’s romantic, right? Just sit.”

            Key stuck his tongue out jokingly, but sat in the swing next to Hyeongseop anyway. Swinging gently back and forth, he looked around and realized that he would have been uncomfortable being out this late had it not been for Hyeongseop. This was because when he was with Hyeongseop, few worries ever seemed to cross his mind. And even when he was not with Hyeongseop, there was rarely a moment that passed when Key did not think of him.

            “You know,” Key stuttered, “I’ve been thinking a lot lately about us and—”

            “Shh,” Hyeongseop interrupted him, pushing his swing toward Key’s.

            He wrapped his arm around Key’s back to hold their swings closer and kissed him, quickly but deeply. He pulled away slightly and whispered, “Let’s just relax. I know you had a long day. Unless it can’t wait…” he trailed off.

            Key smiled. “It can wait,” he said. He leaned in and kissed him once more. Key laid his head on Hyeongseop’s shoulder and stared at the sky, his head moving slightly with each breath Hyeongseop took. He wanted to never leave his arms again.

            “Kibum,” Hyeongseop shook him gently. “You’re falling asleep, Kibum. We should get you home.”

            Key blinked heavily and rubbed his eyes. He hurriedly pulled out his cell phone and checked the time. It was late; so late that the others would start to get worried if he was out much longer. “I’m sorry,” he said to Hyeongseop. “I shouldn’t be out so late, we have to be up early tomorrow and…”

            “I understand,” Hyeongseop interjected. He knew that Key would ramble on if given time. “You had a big day today and another one tomorrow. I shouldn’t have kept you out so late anyway.”

            Key sensed a bit of disappointment in Hyeongseop’s voice. “You know I can always make time for you,” he said. Hyeongseop’s eyes brightened as he heard the words.

            “I’ll walk you back,” he said, standing and helping Key up.

            “Are you sure?” Key asked. “I don’t want to keep you out any later.”

            “I’m sure. I don’t have to be up early, and I don’t have fellow group members who will be waiting up for me, or a comeback to prepare for,” Hyeongseop said, smiling.

            “Speaking of that comeback,” Key said, shoving his hands into the pockets of his coat as he started in the direction of the dorm. “I’ve been to your fashion shows, so you need to come to one of SHINee’s shows.” Key grinned, already knowing that Hyeongseop intended to be at as many SHINee performances as possible.

            “You know I wouldn’t miss it,” Hyeongseop replied, reaching into Key’s coat pocket and pulling out his hand. His long fingers pushed their way between Key’s and tightened, fitting perfectly.

            The two joined hands for the rest of walk back to the dorm and just as they stepped beneath the overhang above the door, Key noticed small flakes of snow twirling softly toward the ground. Key leaned up to kiss Hyeongseop one last time. Hyeongseop’s lips met his and Key felt his hands grab the back of his head. His heartbeat increased to that familiar rate it always rose to whenever Hyeongseop kissed him, and he suddenly wished to stay out longer, go more places, see more things, anything to stay with Hyeongseop longer.

            Hyeongseop broke away and pulled Key into his arms. “I don’t want to keep you any longer,” he whispered.

            Key thought of all the things he wished he could say. “I wish I could stay with you forever,” he whispered into Hyeongseop’s neck, squeezing him tighter.

            After what seemed like ages, but still not long enough, Key pulled away. “Next time, send me a text before you come over,” he said lightly.

            “Of course,” Hyeongseop smiled. He took a few steps away. “Good luck with rehearsals tomorrow. Work hard for me, okay?”

            Key nodded. His heart was beating so loudly that he wondered if Hyeongseop heard it. The snow was falling faster and in heavier flakes. Hyeongseop started walking away, turning around one last time before he was out of view to wave at Key, who stood, watching him go, on the doorstep.

            Key waved back, smiling to himself, and reached for the doorknob. Now that he knew Hyeongseop would be there for the comeback, he was no longer nervous. He was excited for Hyeongseop to see him at his best, performing on stage. And most of all, Key was not worried about disappointing his fellow members or his managers, now that he knew the person who cared for the most would be by his side the entire time.