A Chance Meeting

Keyseop

October 22, 2012

            “Will you stop fidgeting?” Key said, slapping Jonghyun’s leg. The older boy hadn’t stopped moving since they sat down.

            “When is it going to start?” Jonghyun whined childishly.

            Almost as if on cue, the lights of the large room dimmed and everyone standing took their seats. The pair was seated in the front row of a fashion show. Key had asked one of his designer friends for access to the show now that SHINee had down time between rehearsals, and he had dragged Jonghyun along for company. Little did he realize what a difficulty Jonghyun would be.

            “Finally,” Jonghyun whispered, finally settling in next to Key as the lights went out completely.

            The lights on the runway rose and music began playing through unseen speakers as the show finally began. Key immediately forgot the surrounding world as he was into the clothes walking down the runway. Each body was fitted with a different outfit that tied into a theme among the collection, and Key was hardly aware of the models within the clothing.

            The show had gone on for a bit when Key finally noticed a person within the clothes. Amongst the other models, nothing in particular stuck out about any of them. They were all good-looking – Key wondered whether or not Jonghyun thought the same – but they were each so good-looking that none stood out. They all blended together. But this one model…

            What first struck Key were the model’s eyes. They were beautiful and cat-like, even from down the runway. But Key soon realized a more striking feature about this man: his ears. Key hadn’t seen ears like that in a very long time.

            From his position toward the beginning of the runway, Key was given only a brief amount of time to take in the model’s appearance before he passed him. This time, unlike with previous models, Key’s gaze followed the man. Though he admittedly enjoyed the view as the model walked away, Key eagerly awaited his turn at the end of the runway.

            Finally the model passed by Key again. Key racked his mind for the reason why the model looked so familiar, and then it hit him: Park Hyeongseop, a boy from his hometown, Daegu! The two had gone to high school together but rarely interacted as they had run in different circles of friends. Key was certain, however, that this was him, as he could not forget those large, but adorable, ears.

            Key waited impatiently for the show to come to a conclusion. The models came out in a large group, walking the runway one last time, followed by the designer of the collection, who waved and thanked the audience before disappearing offstage. The applause died down and Key grabbed Jonghyun by the arm to pull him toward the backstage areas.

            “Where are we going?” Jonghyun asked, confused.

            Key said nothing, he was too intent on catching Hyeongseop before he left the building. He showed his event pass to one of the workers standing by the backstage door, and hurried Jonghyun along behind him.

            Suddenly, Key found himself surrounded by men who towered over him. He looked at Jonghyun behind him, and Jonghyun glared back at him, obviously feeling out of place. Key rolled his eyes and scanned the room for Hyeongseop. When it proved fruitless, he asked the closest person for direction and was pointed toward a corner of the room. Key caught a glimpse of Hyeongseop through the hurried movements of the people through the room and thanked the model who pointed him out.

            Key left Jonghyun behind and made his way over Hyeongseop, who had already changed out of his outfit for the show and into a simple white t-shirt and jeans. “Hyeongseop?” he asked hesitantly, wondering whether he would remember him.

            Hyeongseop finished placing a jacket on a hanger and hooked it onto a nearby rack before turning around. “Yes?” he said, before realizing who had spoken to him. His facial expression changed immediately. “Kibum! Or should I say ‘Key,’” he smiled broadly.

            Key was shocked. “You recognize me?” he laughed, a combination of relieved and confused. He couldn’t help but notice how good Hyeongseop looked when he smiled.

            “Well, SHINee is a pretty big deal,” Hyeongseop said casually as he continued to hang up his clothes. “You’re on TV all the time.” He paused and laughed aloud to himself. “It was actually my mother who pointed you out to me a while ago. SHINee was performing and she said ‘Hyeongseop, you went to school with that boy!’ I probably never would have recognized you had I not know.”

            “A lot has changed since Daegu,” Key nodded. He looked around the room as if he could find something else to talk about to ease the silence, but he found nothing.

            Hyeongseop hung up the last of his clothes and looked at Key. “A few of my friends and I are going out after this, if you want to come. It’d be a good a chance for us to catch up. If you’re free, of course,” he added.

            Key hesitated, turning to scan the room for Jonghyun. “Are you sure I wouldn’t be a bother?” he asked Hyeongseop, his eyes still searching the room.

            “Of course not,” Hyeongseop reassured him. “There’s no after party tonight so we’re just going out for coffee. Nothing big. We won’t even be out too late.”

            “Well, in that case,” Key said, turning back to Hyeongseop. “I’d be happy to come. I’ll let everyone know I’m going out and then meet you back here?”

            Hyeongseop nodded and Key set off to find Jonghyun. His heart was racing and he had no idea why. He blamed it on the excitement of meeting someone who was from his hometown. He had been homesick lately, and maybe this would ease some of those feelings. He finally found Jonghyun sneaking food from a table set out for staff.

            “Jonghyun,” Key said. Jonghyun turned around with an apple in his mouth. “I’m going out with Hyeongseop.”

            “Who?” Jonghyun asked, his mouth still full of apple.

            “We grew up together, we’re gonna catch up. I shouldn’t be too late.”

            “Wait is this a date?” Jonghyun teased childishly.

            Key rolled his eyes. “No,” he said. He pushed Jonghyun toward the door. “Just let everyone know where I went, I’ll call when I’m ready to be picked up.”

            “You’re sure it’s not a date?” Jonghyun asked over his shoulder. His tone had changed from joking to a more serious one.

            “Jong,” Key said, looking Jonghyun in the eyes. “I’m sure.” He pointed toward the door. “Now, go.”

            Jonghyun nodded and turned to find his way out of the crowd of people. Key watched him go and sighed. His mind suddenly went back to Hyeongseop. This wasn’t going to be a date, he said to himself. Just old friends catching up. Right?

 

---

 

            Key looked down into his hot chocolate. This is definitely not a date, he said to himself.

            He had ridden with Hyeongseop and three of his friends – two girls and a boy – to a nearby coffee shop, and the five of them had found a table toward the back. Key was sitting on the outside of the group, separated from the others by Hyeongseop. He had mainly been listening to conversation the whole time, only offering his own opinion when asked for it.

            Normally Key would have minded being left out of the conversation, but he soon realized he didn’t mind at all. He was captivated by Hyeongseop. It was something about the way that he was able to interact so well and familiarly with everyone they had come in contact with – from his friends to the employees of the coffee shop – that it seemed to verge on flirtation, but Key was sure it was just Hyeongseop’s natural charisma.

           Hyeongseop had always been popular in school: he had grown into his ears after a few years of teasing, and he grew to his full height before all the other boys, which drew him lots of attention. He never let it go to his head it seemed though, as he was always nice to everyone regardless of his relation to them.

           Key was taking a long sip from his mug, lost in his thoughts, when Hyeongseop’s friends stood up from the table and gathered their belongings, saying goodbye to both Key and Hyeongseop. Key smiled and said goodbye politely, wondering why they were leaving suddenly but Hyeongseop was not.

           “They have things to do tomorrow morning,” Hyeongseop explained when he noticed Key’s confused expression. “And I figured we could stay a little while longer to give us a better chance to catch up.”

           Key set his mug down on the table and smiled. “That sounds perfect,” he said, trying not to sound too excited about having Hyeongseop to himself for once.

           “You’re the first person I’ve seen from home in a while, Kibum,” Hyeongseop said. “And I’m honestly very happy it was you.”

           Key smiled, his stomach flipping over itself, and Hyeongseop slid his chair closer to him, creating even more privacy for the pair at their table toward the back of the already dim coffee shop. They made small talk for a while, talking about the weather and aspects of the fashion show they enjoyed and, much to Key’s delight, reminiscing over memories they shared of school and their hometown. He was happy to have someone to talk to who understood his feelings toward his hometown. Key found comfort in the way Hyeongseop leaned into the conversation and made constant eye contact, making him feel like each word he said was extremely important.

           “So how are you enjoying the life of an idol?” Hyeongseop asked, bringing the subject back to Key himself.

           “It’s very rewarding,” Key said honestly. “Being able to perform for our fans and see their happiness makes it worth all the work. And of course, the clothes,” he added jokingly.

           Hyeongseop laughed, and Key felt his stomach drop at the sound. He was happy Hyeongseop found his jokes funny. “You always had your own style,” Hyeongseop said. “I was never very good at putting things together. I just wear what they tell me to wear.”

           “It’s not that hard,” Key chuckled, picking up his mug of hot chocolate. “We’ll go shopping sometime and I’ll show you how it’s done.” Upon finishing the sentence, he immediately regretted saying it. He had just proposed that he and Hyeongseop see each other again. What if Hyeongseop didn’t want to see him again, and was only catching up as a formality so he didn’t appear rude? Key took a deep drink from his drink, hoping to somehow disappear into it.

           “Of course!” Hyeongseop said. “I know lots of stores and designers and you know how to put everything together. We’d do perfectly shopping as a pair.”

           Key felt the color return to his face as he was flooded with relief of knowing Hyeongseop genuinely enjoyed his company.

           “How do you enjoy your life outside of idol duties?” Hyeongseop continued. “Do you get much free time, like to spend with friends?”

           “We’ve had more free time recently,” Key began. “But I’m sure I’ll have less and less as we get closer to our next comeback. For now I’m happy to relax with my fellow members and spend time with friends.”

           “No girlfriend?” Hyeongseop asked.

           Key blushed. “You sound like my family.” He took a sudden interest in the contents of his mug, swirling them around intently. “No, no girlfriend,” he said finally.

           “Good.”

           Key looked up just in time to see Hyeongseop leaning in quickly. Before he had time to react, Hyeongseop’s lips were on his. Key’s eyes closed and he felt himself push naturally into the kiss. Hyeongseop moved his hand up Key’s thigh and Key clung desperately to his mug of hot chocolate to keep from dropping it.

           Hyeongseop pulled away slowly, smiling, but his hand didn’t move from Key’s thigh. Key blinked slowly and processed what had just happened. The kiss seemed to stop the world around them, but in reality it had only lasted a few seconds. He set his mug down on the table again before looking up into Hyeongseop’s deep brown eyes.

           Hyeongseop’s expression immediately changed to one of concern when Key’s eyes met his. “I’m sorry, was that – that was stupid of me – I really don’t know why I did that – I’m really sor –”

           Key cut him off by returning the kiss quickly. It didn’t last as long as the previous one, but Key felt more confident in himself and followed his impulses. He didn’t know any other way to ease Hyeongseop’s worries.

           “It’s okay,” Key said, and chuckled.

           Hyeongseop his lips and smiled. “You should get home before it’s too late.”

           Key didn’t want to leave at all, but nodded reluctantly. “I’ll give my driver a call. Are you okay to get home?”

           “I can call a cab,” Hyeongseop said. He dug his phone out of his pocket and handed it to Key with a smile. “But first,” he said.

           Key took the phone, and it wasn’t until he went to create a new contact with his name and number that he realized his hands were shaking. He was barely processing what was happening, half questioning if it were even happening at all. He handed Hyeongseop’s phone back. Key handed his phone to Hyeongseop, and Hyeongseop showed him an app called KakaoTalk that he used to talk to all of his friends. He installed the app for Key and handed the phone back after adding his information into it.

           Key called for his driver to meet him outside the coffee shop, and Hyeongseop called for a cab.

           “Will I be able to see you again soon?” Hyeongseop said after hanging up his phone.

           “Absolutely,” Key smiled. “I’ll let you know exactly when I’m free.”

           The pair sat in happy silence until Key’s driver arrived.

           “It was really great seeing you, Seop,” Key said as he pulled on his coat.

           “You too, Kibum,” Hyeongseop said, walking him toward the door.

           Just outside the door of the coffee shop, Hyeongseop hugged Key tightly. Key smiled and waved as he got into the back of the car.

           Key settled into the backseat and felt as if he might melt into the fabric of the seats. He could hardly believe what had happened. The car had barely driven a block down the street before Key heard his phone chime. A new message from Hyeongseop. Key smiled and pressed the phone to his chest. He breathed deeply, and worked up the courage to open and read the message.

           Goodnight, Kibum. Sweet dreams.