Prologue

Cross my heart and hope to lie

Cross my heart and hope to lie

 

Prologue

Siwon

 

Choi Siwon, during his career, had learned to appreciate every little thing he got, because it was sure that it wouldn't last. That's why, when his manager had asked him wheter he wanted to go on holiday for three days or to accept the role of the main character in a drama that was supposed to be a great success, he chose the holiday – even if it was for three mere days. Of course, when he found out that he was going to spend that short period of time off on the French Riviera, he couldn't be happier.

Surely, at that time, he didn't know what was about to happen.

 

 

 

April 6th, 2010

Nice, Côte d'Azur – France

 

 

The sand was warm and soft under his feet and the Mediterranean Sea was spreading before his eyes with its transparent water, colored with various shades of blue and reflecting the spherical and silvery moon that was towering over his head. Siwon sighed deeply, inhaling the fresh air that was surrounding him, ignoring the noises coming from the center of Nice, France – far from where he was at the moment. He just wanted to focus on little things: on his calm breath, on the wind that was throwing his hair into disorder and on the teeny-tiny grains of sand between his toes.

It looks like heaven, he thought as he stared at the magnificent view he got by standing on that hidden beach, far from the city and from all those people he didn't want to meet. He closed his eyes and lifted his head, enjoying the sensation of the cool breeze on his skin – thinking he could easily get addicted to it. He was so buried in his thoughts that he didn't notice a person walking towards him – not until that stranger stopped walking and just looked at him with a vaguely amused expression printed all over his face. The two of them spent a few seconds like that, staring at nothing in particular – confused or totally entertained by that awkward situation.

Being unable to bear with that silence, Siwon started talking:

-Uhm... Hi...- he mumbled, still looking at the sea.

-Hi- the other answered, smiling widely at him and getting immediately to the core: -So it's true: Choi Siwon is here on holiday.

The taller froze and only menaged to grumble: -And I thought no one would ever notice my presence here- and then he added, filling his voice with sarcasm: -Lucky me.

-Oh, don't worry- the raven reassured him with another smile: -I won't tell anyone. I can keep a secret.

-I hope so- Siwon sighed, sitting on the sand, and the other man immediately followed him, holding his legs near to his chest and wrapping one of his hands around a bottle neck.

-I'm one of the best out there at keeping secrets. You can trust me- he whispered, before drinking a bit of whatever was contained in that bottle.

The actor glanced, for the first time, at the petite figure next to him, and he immeditaly sank in those black, sharp eyes that were looking back at him. He didn't know for how long he had just stared but as soon as he heard the other one coughing a bit embarassed, he looked away and swallowed before talking:

-You know my name, but I don't know yours.

The stranger seemed even more amused: -Yeah... And so?

-So... What's your name?

-Uhm... Lee Hyukjae.

-Is it really your name?

-Why shouldn't it be my name?

-You didn't seem sure.

-Well, what if it isn't my real name? My name might be Shindong, Jungsoo, Yesung or François, who cares? It's just a name.

-It says who you are.

-Whatever- the smaller snorted, before handing him the bottle: -Do you want a sip?

-What is it?

-I don't know, but it tastes good.

Siwon knew he would regret it sooner or later, but, at the moment, he couldn't care less. He just grabbed the bottle and drank the liquid and transparent fluid. He felt his throat burning as the alcohol made his way through his esophagus, straight to his stomach. His face took on a weird expression that made the nameless man laugh at him:

-You should have seen your face!

The actor glared at him and he swallowed one more time, trying to forget what he had just drunk:

-It tastes funny. I don't like it.

-But it will make you feel better- the raven man whispered near to his face and the taller could easily smell alcohol and mint.

As if he'd been hypnotized, Siwon found himself staring at that guy, studying him as if he was some weird human being he'd just had the occasion to meet. He looked lost and innocent even with a bottle of alcohol in his hands. And, sure, he was a nameless stranger, but certanly he was one of the most fascinating man the young actor had ever met. He knew how to make people do whatever he wanted, that's for sure. And Siwon made it even more obvious as he grabbed the bottle one more time and swallowed almost all the liquid that was contained in the glass. He drank a few more sips and then passed the bottle to the smaller frame, but the boy shooked his head and yawned, stretching his arms.

-I should go to sleep- he muttered, trying to stand up. Of course, he failed. Miserably.

Even with all that alcohol in his system, Siwon managed to stand up and hold the latter in his arms.

-Where's your apartment?- he asked the man, but he got no answer – just a few mumbles and a silly laugh. He sighed and started walking towards the lights of the city, carrying an almost-passed-out young man. It took longer than he'd expected to reach the hotel and as soon as he opened the door of his room – one of the most expensive suites – he let the smaller man's body collpase on the couch. Making sure the stranger wouldn't fall on the floor, Siwon headed towards his bedroom and let his body sink in the double-bed materess, hugging the sheets and falling asleep as soon as his head hit the pillow.

He didn't know – of course – but when he started snorring, the strange man was already awake, sober and out of the suite, walking in the corridor and looking for the reason he'd pretended to be smashed.

 

* * * * *

 

The following morning, Siwon woke up with a huge headache, while his stomach was totally upside-down. Trying to ignore the dizziness, he stood up and walked to the living room, which was quiet and empty. Weird, he thought, as he perfectly remembered that, last night, he had come back with a stranger. Since he couldn't think about anything until he had a good coffee, he shrugged and reached the kitchen where, surprisingly, he found a note hung on the refrigerator:

 

Bonjour.~

Thanks for last night, I didn't realize I was that drunk.

I have a flight in two hours so, don't worry,

I won't bother you anymore.

I know today is your birthday, so I made you coffee.

I suppose you like coffee (who doesn't?) and

this is just a way to pay you back.

Happy birthday!~ (or, as they say here,

joyeux anniversaire!).

Enjoy Nice and have fun.

 

 

Without knowing why, Siwon went to the beach and spent there the whole day, hidden from other people's eyes, staring at the sky and holding the note in his hand. As he drank a sip of that tasty and homemade coffee, a shy smile appeared on his lips.

-Happy birthday to me.

 

 

July 20th, 2010

Seoul, South Korea

 

 

Sighing, Siwon leaned on the counter of his favorite coffee shop and closed his eyes, as he waited for his cold latte macchiato. He was shooting for an upcoming drama, in the middle of July, and he was sweating as if he'd just run for a marathon. Summer was unusually hot that year, too hot for his likes. As soon as the barman handed him the cup of coffee, he took it and looked for an empty table to sit down. Noticing two free spots near the window, he walked towards the table but, as soon as he placed his coffee on the wooden surface, another hand – an incredibly tiny hand – entered his visual field, holding a cup of coffee. Dazzled, he looked at the stranger before him and he froze on his spot. He recognized those eyes – those sharp and deep eyes he had long dreamt of.

-Looks like we meet again- the smaller was the one who broke the silence. Siwon snapped out of his fantasies, letting out a small cough and bowing to the man in front of him:

-Sit down, I'll find another table- he said and tried to walk away, but the other stopped him:

-No, stay here- the stranger smiled – an innocent and nice smile, different from those smirks he'd given him three months ago.

Siwon knew he didn't really want to leave the guy, so he sat down and drank a bit of his latte.

-I've never really thanked you for all you've done for me that night- the raven uttered, playing with his cup.

Siwon shrugged:

-You don't have to worry about that. It's not like I'd have left you in the middle of nowhere.

The nameless man before him smiled one more time and the actor could almost feel his bones melting under that wonderful view.

-Well, thank you anyway. You helped me a lot, you've no idea.

Siwon smirked: -I'd like to tell you “you're welcome” but, still, I don't know your name.

The raven beamed: -I bet I gave you the whole names-don't-matter speech.

The twenty-one-year-old man laughed: -Yeah, you did.

-Yeah... Sorry about that, too- the smaller blushed a bit, but the other kept laughing, amused:

-Don't worry. Just, stop apologizing and tell me your name.

A brief silence followed Siwon's words. The stranger studied the actor as if he was an interesting and rare animal, his eyes literally piercing through the taller's skin, analizing him deeply. Then, the-soon-to-be-named man sighed and said:

-Yesung. My name is Kim Yesung.

Siwon's lips melted in a smile – a real one:

-Nice to meet you, Kim Yesung- he said, extending his hand for an handshake.

-It's my pleasure, Choi Siwon- the no longer nameless man also smiled and shook their hands together, holding tightly Siwon's hand, as if his life depended on it.

It wasn't that wrong, after all.

 

 

December 15th, 2011

Seoul, South Korea

 

 

Siwon smiled as he opened the front door of his house, feeling at home, finally. He'd been shooting for a drama in Taiwan and he couldn't wait to get back in order to spend some time with Yesung – alone, just the two of them. They'd been dating for more than a year and Siwon was happier than ever. He felt as if his life was finally complete. He had one more reason to come back at home every night, to wake up in the morning and to buy real food instead of frozen or canned dishes. Or takeaways from the Thai restaurant in the neighbourhood.

Sadly for him, when he stepped into his house, no one ran out of the living room to hug him tightly. He sighed and took off his shoes, then he walked to the parlour, then to the kitchen and their bedroom. Yesung was nowhere, meaning he wasn't back from his work trip yet. He had to leave for China for two weeks and, theorically, he should have come back that afternoon. But he didn't text him anything and it was already late in the evening.

Throwing his body on the couch, Siwon grabbed the phone and dialed the number of the Thai restaurant nearby.

Take-away, one more time.

 

* * * * *

 

Siwon woke up in the middle of the night, the ringtone of his phone taking him away from his dream – where there were no wars and everything was made of chocolate, jam or peanut butter.

He rolled in the bed, trying to get free from the sheets, and he grabbed his phone, answering with his eyes still closed.

-Hello?- he said with a sleepy and hoarse voice.

-Is it Choi Siwon?- the voice on the receiver was deep and totally unfamiliar to him. Confused, he sat on the bed and answered:

-Yes... It's me. Who am I talking to?

-I'm Kim Kangin.

Siwon tried and tried to remember any occasion in which he'd heard that name before, but nothing came to mind. Since thinking was useless at that ungodly hour – and he had no coffee at his fingertips – he gave up and spoke again:

-Yeah... I think a context would be helpful.

-I can't talk on the phone. We have to meet at Namsan Park. Now.

Siwon widened his eyes and snorted:

-We? Have to? Now? Please, I don't even know who you are, so much so that I'm going to hang up right now.

He was already ready to end the call in that way, when the voice spoke one more time and he couldn't do anything but petrify.

-Wait! It's about Yesung.

 

 

December 17th, 2011

Seoul, South Korea

 

 

It's been two days since he met with that unknown man – Kangin – in the middle of the night and in the cold air of December. When he'd gone out of his house, before the meeting, he'd thought that nothing was worst than going out in the middle of the night during such a cold season like winter.

One hour later, he didn't think that way anymore.

He didn't think at all.

Even if two days had passed, he was still in his house, locked in his bedroom, hugging sheets, pillows and crying his heart out as he remembered fragments of his first – and probably last – conversation with Kangin. The elder's words were echoing in his mind, almost driving him crazy.

 

It will take some time to explain everything about Yesung… We think you deserve to know...

Yesung is a spy...

Since he couldn't tell you, he pretended to be a librarian...

You know, he's a good liar. It's his job...

He went to China on a mission...

It was a wild-goose chase, Siwon...

We lost any kind of contact with him three days ago...

Siwon-ssi, I'm sorry...

I have to tell you...

Yesung is probably dead.

 

 

* * * * *

 

 

Notes: First attempt EVER to post an english fanfic online – but, still, I hope you liked this meaningless prologue.

This is just a résumé of past events that will be helpful later, as the story will go on.

As always, I'm writing about spies and stuff like that. I'm just too much into spy-stories thanks to books, movies and tv-series. And to my damn brain that never stops working.

I'm already writing the first chapter and, FYI, I'm writing also a Yewon one-shot and I'm translating a long fic I posted on an Italian site for fanfics this year, but it's a bit long so it will take me some time. It's always about spies.

If you don't like this genre... I'm sorry.

One more thing: english isn't my mother tongue, that's why you'll probably find few mistakes here and there. I always re-read what I write, but I don't always notice all the errors I made.

Sorry about that, too.

Once again, I hope you like this chapter and, please, let me know what you think about it. Okay?~

I'll update during this week, so – if you liked the prologue – stay tuned for the next chapter.

Thanks for reading!

Bye, have a nice day.~