Mud

The Beast's Shadow

 

 

Jongdae wanted to kill Joonmyun. No, Jongdae wanted to rip Joonmyun to shreads. Just killing him wouldn't be enough. He was mentally planning exactly how to inflinct the most pain on Joonmyun, and perhaps this was the reason that he lost track of him. The other boy was acting like a rabid animal.

He wouldn't admit it aloud, but Jongdae was scared down to his bone's. Something was going to go wrong, he could feel it. He may be acting paranoid, but his heart was thudding against his chest.

As Jongdae paused and looked left and right, trying to decide where to go to follow Joonmyun, he cursed himself. Kris would be furious at him and Zitao would give him that look. The look that said, I knew he wasn't the right man for the job. Zitao was always trying to outdo him and look for little ways to debunk Jongdae and his importance.

Jongdae may not know several ways to kick someone or how to milk a cow (Zitao had told him that he'd done an agricultural course and that he could tell the difference between a heifer and a cow - but whatever, Jongdae could tell the difference between a cow and a bull), but Jongdae at least tried to help his friends in the best way possible. Oftentimes, he felt like he'd done a poor job and he'd failed, but it was the effort that counted ... right?

Jongdae let a yell of frustration and ran his hands through his hair, tugging at the roots. He cursed over and over again. When he was younger, his mother used to threaten to wash his mouth out with soap. If she'd heard him, she'd really have done it.

His hand twitched over his pocket. Should he call Kris? Kris would know what to do. He always knew what to do, whereas Jongdae always felt helpless in these situations.

"Joonmyun, I swear to God, when I get my hands on you, you're going to be black and blue for weeks on end," Jongdae growled, though he knew that there was no way that Joonmyun would be able to hear him. If Jongdae was in a calmer mood and wasn't stressed, he might wonder if he threatened people too much, since he even threatened people when he knew that there was no way that they could hear him.

Jongdae bite his lip. His stomach felt funny. He felt as if he was completely empty. Was it fear? Or was it nervousness? Jongdae shook his head. No, he shouldn't be focusing on his emotions, he should be focusing on how to control some wired teenage boy, who could also transform into a wolf.

He didn't want to call anyone else, it'd make him appear weak. Groaning, he tossed his head back and looked up at the sky, hoping for some luck to come his way. He heard another shout, this time a yell.

"He's some mouth on him," Jongdae whispered and took off again, in pursuit of his friend. His second shout was unnerving. Almost as if he had lost all sense and had succumbed to his animalistic side. But Jongdae didn't put too much faith into his thoughts. Firstly because they were his; and secondly, because it should be too much to know from a holler. Surely he shouldn't know that much from the pain?

After about two minutes of running, he gave up. It was pointless. He wouldn't be able to catch Joonmyun, and even if he did, what would he do then? There was no point; besides, if Joonmyun was going to transform, he'd have already done it by now.

He began to walk back, trying to think of a cover story for himself and Joonmyun. Really, the guy was lucky that he'd seen him go into the forest acting like a murderer with a body to hide. If it weren't for that, he wouldn't have someone to cover his in front of Kris and the rest - and heaven knows Kris is going to flip!

 

He covered less ground when he was walking, so by the time he got relatively close to the path, ten minutes or more had passed. He was dejectedly looking at his feet, planning the cover story - which he was proud to say was pretty darn clever and inventive - when he tripped. (Not one of his cleverest moments seeing as he was looking at the ground in the first place.)

Cursing, he lifted his face out of the mud and wiped his face furiously with the sleeve of his hoodie. Although his sleeve was dirty, it suceeded in getting most of the caked brown substance off of him. No one was around, and he looked at what he fell over. Frowning, he picked up the lunch box filled with dirt with a label over it, saying where it was from.

He heard voices and he balked.

"Joonmyun!" he said fearfully. With the lunch box still in hand, he sprinted to the place where the voices were eminating from. It was a boy and a girl. They seemed to be arguing about something they'd lost. He came closer and once he passed around some trees, they came into view. He seen Chanyeol looking confused and as if he were racking his brains. A girl was standing opposite him. In comparision to Chanyeol, she looked like a dwarf.

When they heard the footsteps, the looked around at him. They both seemed slightly surprised and shocked at his presence.

"Jongdae," Chanyeol said, "what are you doing here? Why are you covered in mud?"

The girl from the library (Jongdae had already forgotten her name) looked between them.

"Go ... Joonmyun ... wolf ... deer ..." Jongdae managed to choke out. He was winded from all the running he had done that day.

"Wolf?" repeated the girl in shock. "You seen a wolf?"

Jongdae looked at her and realised she was the wolf hater (and Jongin lover). He mentally kicked himself. Why did he say wolf in front of her?! He shook his head, but turned to Chanyeol and widened his eyes, trying to communicate to him, trying to make him understand the predicament.

"Oh! I totally forgot!" Chanyeol said and clapped his hands in realisation. "Jimin, I told Jongdae I'd go somewhere with him today. We're supposed to be seeing that new film about wolves in the cinema. I'm afraid we'll have to do this another day."

The girl, Jimin, deliberated for a moment before a moment before she answered, "Oh, no, it's fine, Chanyeol. I'll finish it up for the both of us. We shouldn't have much more to do left, so it'll only take a few seconds."

Jongdae glowered. "Listen, Jimin, I'm sure that Chanyeol would prefer if the two of you could finish it together."

"Sorry, Jongdae, is it?"

Jongdae frowned. Evidentally, she had also forgotten his name. He nodded stiffly, annoyed at her inadequate memory.

"But, I want to get this finished today so I don't have to do it again."

 

Jongdae and Chanyeol looked at each other. Jongdae gave Chanyeol a “control your woman” look, and Chanyeol gave him a “she's not my woman” back.

Chanyeol tried to convince her, but Jimin wouldn't budge. The knot in Jongdae's stomach lurched. On impulse, he reached forward and grabbed her hand and began to pull her in the direction of the town. Jimin stumbled for a few steps, before she grabbed Jongdae's wrist and pulled his hand off of her's.

"What do you think you're doing?" she demanded.

Jongdae reached for her arm again, but she slapped his hand away. Jongdae looked at her in shock. Chanyeol decided more drastic measures were needed, so while Jimin was venting to Jongdae about how he should never do it, how rude it was, how he should never ever do that to her again, Chanyeol went up behind her and picked her up by the waist.

Very awkwardly, he began to walk forwards in the direction that Jongdae had been headed. "Get the stuff, will you?" he requested of the other boy, who nodded and scurried off to find it. Having found it easily, he was back quickly.

Jimin protested and grabbed his arms, scraping him and leaving white marks. She let a string of insults and eventually she kicked her leg back. Her leg hit his shin and Chanyeol clumsily dropped her in surprise. Jimin managed to land on her feet, but she tottered to the side and dropped to the floor. She stood up and looked at Chanyeol with a hardened expression.

Today was not her day, and these two people were both rude and very forward.

"Why did you do that?" Jimin asked. "Do you want me out of the forest so bad?"

"No."

"Yes."

Jimin grimaced at the two conflicting answers. She deliberated for a while, before deciding to just give in. If they didn't want her to finish it alone this badly, she couldn't really object, could she?

"Fine! Fine! I'll go home," she told them and the pair breathed a sigh of relief.

"Thank you," they said in unison, their gratutude colouring their voices.

 

*~*~*~*

 

Jimin trooped past the road barrier that was in place to stop people bring cars into the forest. She heard a voice call her name and she gulped when she seen her dad. The two boys were also slightly shocked.

"Dad," Jimin said.

Chanyeol and Jongdae scanned him, remembering that he was the wolf trainer. He didn't look quite the right build. He was muscular and well-built, but they were expecting someone to fit the ideal of a “man's man”, not an ordinary Joe.

"Jimin, what the hell are you doing here?" her father asked, taken aback.

"W-wh-what?" Jimin stuttered. They still hadn't spoken properly after their row. "I thought you seen my note that I left on the kitchen table and were here to collect me," she confessed.

"Note?" he repeated, baffled.

"Yeah," she said slowly, "the one I left on the table this morning."

Jongdae smiled. This was interesting.

"What are you doing here, anyways?" he demanded, eyeing Chanyeol and Jongdae up and down, paying extra attention to the shorter boy covered in muck. "Who are they?"

"Um, Dad, this is Chanyeol and Jongdae. I was here to do a science project with Chanyeol, but he turned up and I don't know why, to be completely honest with you," she confessed, glaring at them both.

"And just wh-"

Choi Kyuhyun was cut off by a howl - one he knew to be a wolf's. A howl that he recognised as a rallying howl. The wolf was calling to his pack members, telling them to meet up.

Kyuhyun grew giddy, unable to keep the smirk off of his face. "So it's true!" he exclaimed. "I knew it!"

Jimin wanted to hit her father, to scream and shout at him. Chanyeol wanted to dig a hole and bury his head in it. Jongdae wanted to hit Joonmyun, to scream and shout at him - as well as wanting to hit his face in frustration.

Jimin seemed to be the only one to pay any credance to his words, gauging by the other's reactions.

All Choi Kyuhyun wanted to do was stride into the forest and find the wolf, which he did, without hesitation.

 


A/N:

Well, I think I finally sorted out a proper schedule! It should be updated every Sunday from now on because I need to study in the other days of the week.

I noticed that I got a lot more subs in the last update than I've ever gotten. So I'm hoping that there wasn't a glitch with the site and you became randomly subbed (because that'd for the both of us!).

Also, I'm continuing the bad chapter name tradition that I have :)

Thanks for subbing and please comment :)

~* Fighting *~