Two

Coincidental Fate

“Beep… beep… beep…”

Two men were in the ward, but none of them spoke. Loud chatters and occasional shouting could be heard outside, and all the two could do was to sigh inwardly. The one on the hard uncomfortable bed leaned his head against the wall, pulling the blanket towards him. He closed his eyes and bit his lower lip.

Xiumin was sent to the hospital for a checkup that night. Reporters being reporters, they tried to get an inside scoop of what had happened to him. Since leaving the hospital was almost impossible, the organizers of the fansign event earlier stepped up and offered to pay the hospital bills to let Xiumin stay for a night. With no other options left, EXO’s manager could only accept the offer.

“Whether or not their schedules will be canceled,” Xiumin could hear his manager speaking. “is not confirmed as of now. Please do be considerate to the patients of the hospital as well as Xiumin. An official statement will be released in the morning, so please do wait and refer to that.”

Xiumin stared into space on his bed, thinking of Haerin. ‘She doesn’t seem to know me or Jongdae… but what was I thinking, climbing onto a random girl’s car and going into her house? What if I caused her trouble? What.’ He grunted in frustration and shut his eyes tighter.

“What are you thinking about?” Luhan asked with a straight face. When Xiumin was ready to get onto the van and go to the hospital, Luhan was inside the van. The room was filled with so much tension that he could not take it, so he hid in the van. Much to his surprise, his manager climbed on and told him that they had to get Xiumin. Since there were fans near the van at the hotel, Luhan had no choice but to tag along to get Xiumin from Haerin's apartment and send him to the hospital.

Xiumin adjusted himself on the bed and Luhan sat on the side of it. “Mind you, I’m still older. And nothing, just tired.”

“I heard from hyung that the house owner was a… girl.” Discomfort could be heard in his voice, since such issues are very sensitive; they make or break their career. In this case, the latter seemed more possible. Xiumin understood and gave a weak but assuring smile.

“Yeah. But she so happened to stand at the sidewalk. Not like I could leave her there to get injured. Plus, the penknife flew past my left arm and she was close to getting injured too. Had she been the one injured, I wouldn’t know what to do.” He explained, though Luhan was still concerned.

“Will she do anything to us? Like blackmail?”

“She doesn’t seem to know us. I can’t believe such things can happen in real life!” Xiumin chuckled, attempting to drive away the tension in the dim room. Luhan’s face however proved that his attempt was a failed one.

“I hope she’ll leave us alone. She even declined any form of reward from hyung.” Luhan leaned closer to Xiumin and said in a hushed whisper.

“You eavesdropped that much?!” Xiumin was surprised Luhan didn’t get caught. Their manager was as sharp as an eagle; he’d notice a leaf fall from 10 meters away if that’s possible.

Luhan rubbed the nape of his neck. “Don’t tell him!” Xiumin nodded and ‘zipped’ his lips with his right hand.

Luhan was unable to leave since reporters were still outside. Xiumin moved and made space on the bed for Luhan to squeeze in. They had been in EXO for slightly more than 3 years, this little bit is nothing.

“Good night Lu. Make some space, I’m the patient here!” Xiumin elbowed Luhan and closed his eyes. A good night’s rest was all he needed after the crazy events during the day.

-

Almost a week has passed since the incident. Xiumin had been attending EXO’s schedules, even though his manager told him not to. He attended their variety shows and only sits out when he needs to be physically active. The members were finally returning to Seoul after staying in Taiwan for a week. At the Taipei airport, many fans held up placards with words ‘Get Well Soon Xiumin!’ and ‘We will pray for you Kim Minseok’ in Chinese, Korean and English. Xiumin could feel himself melting under the fans’ heartwarming cheers and support. He wore his brightest smile and provided as much fanservice as he could without causing his wound to split open.

A month passed by, and Xiumin was finally able to dance again. EXO ended their promotions with 12 of them gathered for their goodbye stages on various music programs.

However, for some reason, Haerin never left Xiumin’s mind. It had been a month; he wondered how she was doing. ‘Was her life affected?’, ‘How is she coping?’, ‘Has she forgotten about me?’, these thoughts never left his head. After their promotions have ended, EXO was given a two week break. They were allowed to return home and do anything they want, as long as they don’t land in a scandal.

The four Chinese members packed up and booked tickets to go back home. The other members also took advantage of this break to catch up with their families, rest and hang out with friends that they have not contacted in almost forever. Within 24 hours of the announcement, EXO’s dorm was cleared.

Xiumin’s mother was surprised at his sudden return home and welcomed him with open arms. She hugged him so tight Xiumin could barely breathe.

“Minseok ah! I’m so glad you’re back! Quick come in, I’m just starting to make dinner!”

Xiumin could not hide his smile when he finally went back into his room. It felt like ages since he last stepped into this house. Before he could lie down on his bed, which was really just a mattress on a wooden bed frame since he came over unannounced, his sister hugged him from behind. The siblings had a short conversation as the younger prepared Xiumin’s bed for him. 

“There you go oppa, I’m sure you want some sleep now, I’ll not disturb!” She said cheerfully and left the room. Xiumin jumped onto his bed and closed his eyes. ‘Home… finally.’

After spending two days at home catching up with his family, Xiumin received a call from his high school friends, informing him of a reunion. Xiumin’s face lit up and agreed to attend. He had to make use of this break to spend time with people he hardly contacted since his debut.

A week later, Xiumin went the restaurant, excited. The long-time friends caught up with one another, and they easily spent hours in the restaurant. Xiumin was more than happy to be with his high school friends again, since they were the ones whom he saw and saw him through the final years of adolescence. The group only left when the restaurant was about to close.

Knowing that he’ll be drinking, he did not drive his car over. He took a cab with his friend and with a reluctant heart; he parted ways when he arrived at the road near his apartment building. As he walked down the dark alleyway – a shortcut to his apartment building – he felt that the air was almost threatening. He could almost swear that his instincts tell him that he was being followed. Xiumin walked faster and turned at a corner. Suddenly, he heard a girl’s voice.

“Help… please.”

Her trembling voice echoed down the alleyway. When she sprinted and turned at the corner, she bumped into Xiumin. They both froze there for as long as time allows them, completely shocked by the sight of one another.

Sensing danger, Xiumin took her by the wrist and dashed down the alleyway with her. His mind was clouded, but he could still lead her to safety (though he was stumbling a bit along the way). They slowed down when they were in front of Xiumin’s apartment building.

"Why are you here?" Xiumin asked in a hushed tone.

"I'm here for a one-week holiday. Aren't you supposed to be in the dorms, you're an idol." She replied in the same tone, even though there wasn’t a need to. The stalker had already left after seeing that there was a guy to protect her.

Xiumin stopped in his tracks and Haerin bumped into him.

"You knew who I was?"


New chapter! ^^

Apologies for such a short chapter, take it as a filler! I might be updating on Sunday if I have time, if not some time next week during the National Day holiday. Tests are coming up, so that is my first priority. Of course, I'll squeeze in time for this. I might be extending this to 6 chapters, I'm not too sure.

Anyways, hope you liked this chapter!

Thanks for reading~