Chapter 5- The Wedding

Thorns and Roses

Chapter 5 [Wedding]

Masami, her parents, Jun’s parents and the guest were already waiting at the church. Masami was wearing her white bridal gown, symbolizing her purity. Her hair flowed down to her waist in a wavy motion with a diamond tiara on top, making her look like a royal princess. She was nervous at the same time excited. Finally her dream had arrived of walking down the aisle but she felt lacking for she got a call from her best friend that she can’t go to her wedding. She understood her since Mao and Jun had a past and of course people can’t easily forget relationships specially Mao and Jun’s case.

At that moment Kazuya was persuading the doctors to let him be a donor but he gets the same negative answer from them. “No!’ He then decided to drive up to cool his temper down.

Aiba had been trying to contact Jun, but he just can’t reach him or maybe he didn’t want to be reached. It was just out of reach or he turned it off. All he could do was shrug at Masami or whoever approaches him and asks him about his best friend’s whereabouts. Masami was getting worried.

At the road Jun had purposely turned his phone off. He was actually driving to the church, but he took the route where most trucks pass by. He turned his recorder on and recorded something.

“Gome Nasai, I know how you are excited right now. I know the happiness you feel can’t be compared to anyone’s mirth. A wedding is a girl’s dream but for the second time around I’ve made it a nightmare. Honestly I’ve learned to love you and I am loving you, it may not be as a lover but I really do love you. You will never perish in me. My life had been dedicated for somebody else. Even when we were starting I haven’t move on up until now; while I loved you I loved her silently. I am sorry to have caused this pain to you. If ever destiny will allow me to die, then my heart will be given to her since she needs it. I know this sounds unfair but the love of my life is Inoue Mao, your best friend. With this, Gome Nasai and Sayonara.” The next thing he knows a bright light appeared.

“Where is Jun? Of all the events to be late why this?” Masami worried. She was getting helpless and hysterical. Her heart was nervously beating. Jun’s parents and her parents had always been beside her. She didn’t feel their presence though. She was longing for her groom.

A man was rushed to the hospital due to a car accident that happened at an isolated road.

“Mao what’s happening? What’s wrong? Why?” her nanny worriedly asked as she called the nurses and doctors. Mao was breathless and her heart is at pain again. Her nanny gave her a glass of water and told Mao to inhale and to exhale.

“Asanami-san call oka-san, oto-san. Check on Kazuya-kun and Masami-san or whoever is close to me. I don’t know but I have a feeling some thing is wrong.” Mao said as her tears rolled down. Asanami called everyone she knows but everyone was fine. That eased Mao a bit but she was still worried.

“Masami don’t get shocked. I want you to calm down. Promise me, you’ll not break down into tears.” Aiba informed but he was actually making her feel the tension. “Yakusoko.” Masami vowed. She was intently listening on what Aiba has to say. He then uttered, “Jun… is dead.” It pained him upon seeing Masami’s pain. He looked away from her. She was dazed off, not wanting to believe him what had happened. Aiba then continued, “His car was seen smashed while he was driving his way here. His body was not found there but this was seen at the compartment of his car. I’ve heard what he has recorded in there and I hope it won’t shock you more.” What more can shock her, her wedding day, her dream come true became the worst day of her life.

AS she listened to it privately, the raining turned into a storm. She cried harder. ‘If you had just told me you still love her, I would have let go of you. Not that you die and make the two of us at pain. Jun, it hurts me but I know it will hurt Mao more. Jun why did you do this? You really want to be a hero then, a martyr.’ She sobbed. Masami, the beautiful bride has lost her groom. She was grieving and was left all alone.

After a week of recovery from her operation Mao was as gleeful as before. Thankful to whomever her donor was. As she was making her way to her car to visit Kazuya who had been out of her sight for a week, she saw Aiba and Masami together.

“Masami? Aiba?” Mao was surprised. “I’ apologize for not being able to attend your wedding.” She apologized clueless on what had really happened during the wedding. Masami immediately hugged her and asked, “May we go somewhere? I want to confess something.”

“Okay. For as long as I can go home before dinner comes.” Mao uttered, agreeing. She felt something different though. Aiba was surprisingly silent and though Masami was concealing her remorse with happiness.

“I am so grateful to the person that had given me his or her heart. Without that person I would never have been here with you guys in the first place.” Mao quoted, since she realized that they were just silent and weren’t having any conversation at all. Masami looked away, tears falling down from her eyes. Mao was so innocent, so happy, how would they tell this to her? They parked the car on a cemetery and there was silence for a while.

“Oi! This no good joke! What happened to you and why in hell are we here?” Mao became panic-stricken, worried.

“Mao, relax. Just relax…Inhale, exhale.” Aiba seriously said. Mao did as how he said it. She then concluded, “Hey! Something is wrong, right?”

“Oh Aiba you are worrying her more. Mao just read that letter. Make sure you don’t over react because the writer of that letter is really over reacting at times. I haven’t read that letter but I’ve received letters from that person. I could say he’s such a drama king.” Masami informed her as she gave a white envelope addressed to Mao. She then read it.

August 30, 2007

Dear Mao,

It has been a while that you didn’t receive a letter from me. Well, you won’t receive this I guess.

She knows who this hand writing very much and she agreed to what Masami had said. He over reacts on things. Then she continued her silent reading.

Mao, I hope have forgiven me and will forgive me. Do forgive Kame as well, though I really don’t like him. He told me he would give his heart to you but I know he won’t be allowed to be a donor. If you are reading this, if someone would give this to you, probably I am destined to die for you. I love you Mao; I am still loving you. Honestly I never had stopped loving you and never will. Mao let me be your reason to live because I know if I were alive both you and Masami would get hurt. I don’t what to be the thorn that would mar the golden friendship the two of you has. Live your life happily. Thank you for loving me. My heart will stay with you forever and your heart will stay with me. Aieru and Take Care.

Mao was surprised and tongue-tied. Her tears just flooded and she hugged Masami. She apologized again and again. Masami then said, “It’s Jun’s decision. She had chosen you over him self and me. It’s not really your fault. It is no body’s fault. Mao let’s just be happy for what has been. We both love him, but he can’t love us both.” Masami said with a smile. They went to his graveyard and that was where they started their new journey.

‘Jun… I never stopped loving you.’ Mao thought, lamenting. Masami had also given her some more letters from him. One read like this:

July 5, 2006

Dear Mao,

It has been a month and a day after my heart breaking and cowardly goodbye. So many things have changed, but my love for you never did. At every corner and point of my life you were and are there. My whole life revolved around you up until this very moment. Actually Aiba has been bringing me to blind dates, group dates and double dates, but none of them brighten up my dark and lonely life. It was so different when you were still with me. Your voice eases my disturb mind, your smile starts my whole day. Mao, I still love you. That’s the honest truth, but I have to break up with you because our company is going down. I have to focus on it more. I’m so sorry for the pain I have caused into your untainted heart. Take care my love, my beloved rose.

Jun

Behind her someone had covered her eyes. “Who are you?” She asked. Its fresh mint breath ran to her nostrils. It then teased, “Can you guess who I am.”