Chapter 3-Twilight

Thorns and Roses

Chapter 3 Twilight

The night ended like how the day had started the next morning at the Inoue residence. Still sleepy, Mao got up from bed to take her shower and eat breakfast. She had to interview the newly engaged couple and somehow talk about their wedding plans. Mao looked at herself in the mirror and told herself, “Jun and you are long over.” And she took her bath.

The Matsumoto mansion as always is quiet. Jun’s parents had gone out of the country early this morning without saying any word as to when they would be back. It was quiet busy morning for the servants, since he would have guests arriving. Jun looked at his watch and thought good of himself, ‘everything is going accordingly to how I had planned it. Good job, Jun.’ He complimented himself on the mirror and freshened himself up.

‘Ding Dong’, the doorbell rang three times. “I’ll get it!” Masami giddily said as she ran to the door. She knew who it was. She opened the door with her oh so sweet smile. She then greeted, “Ohayou, Mao-Chan! Come on in!” Mao smiled and gave her best friend a kiss at the cheeks. As she came in the house, she felt the way Jun felt when he had went to her mansion. There were too many memories that had been shared with Jun and it isn’t that easy to let go of those. ‘My world revolved around Jun before.’ She thought. Masami was leading her to the living room like she was the rightful owner, but Mao can easily find her way in. Well she had been inside and out here in this mansion. As they sat down in the comfy luxurious 800 million dollar sofa, Mao saw the picture frame she had given Jun on his fifteenth birthday. In it was a picture taken during their school festival. The whole gang was there. They all look crazy, wild and funny.

It was the last day of the school festival an exhausting day and almost everyone in the campus were lying down tired. However Mao, Jun and the rest of the gang were still on high spirits. Third day had always been a special and memorable day but that third day was the most special and memorable third day for Inoue Mao.

Getting the trashes out, Mao and Jun were laughing at what they had been doing. “Mao, Toma sure looks more beautiful than you are with his costume.” Jun teased. “Well, I’d pretend I never heard that.” Mao said looking away from him. She was not looking on where she was heading and she stumbled. “Mao!” Jun called reaching her out.

The next thing they know Jun was on top of Mao the trash bags away from them. Their gazes met slowly their lips neared. It was Mao’s first kiss and the most magical one she can ever remember in her life.

Finally it was closing the booths time and they had to clean up the mess they did during the whole festival, but before everything was back to their normal school life they decided to take pictures. “Say Cheese!” Kazuya said as he clicked the camera and run before it could flash.

As Jun joined Masami and Mao, he noticed Mao was staring at the picture frame. He then asked, “Still remember that?” Mao was startled at his voice. She then asked him back, “Which one? The picture frame or the picture?” “Both.” He briefly answered, sitting beside his fiancée. Mao smiled and nodded, affirming. “Of course. I gave that picture frame on your fifteenth birthday.” “Sugoi! You two sure have shared a lot of memories.” Masami exclaimed, amazed. “Yeah” Mao and Jun chorused. Again an awkward silence dominated the place. Mao kept staring at her hands on her lap. She never looked up afraid of meeting their gazes.

Masami broke the silence, “Mao! Tell me how did you meet Jun? Were you friends since birth?” “No.” Mao simply answered. She looked out the cloud formation and traced how it formed. It was a cat. Mao then said, “We became friend when we were still third graders. I was from England and I was a new student at Jun’s school. I had a hard time making friends since I found everyone unhappy and snobbish specially Jun. It was during dismissal time when he saved my cat from getting smashed up by cars that we became friends.” “Can you tall me more?” Masami demanded, eager for more. Mao then said, “I can’t waste my time. I am here not to recollect and narrate my memories, I am here to interview the both of you.” Masami then said, “Gome Nasai Mao. I forgot.” And they had the interview.

Suddenly Masami’s phone rang and she had to go. “I’ll go already, there had been things I needed to see. Mao you stay. Your interview is not yet over, right?” she hurriedly uttered. Mao then started, “Demo…” “Bye Jun. Bye Mao.” Masami said kissing Mao and Jun at their cheeks. The next thing they know she already left.

Mao stood up and prepared to exit but Jun stopped her. Jun then said, “Let’s continue the interview.” “Jun… I mean Matsumoto-san…” Mao tried to say something but she can’t. Jun then said, “Let’s do this for your article and Masami’s sake as well.” “Fine.” Mao gave up. It was a long awkward interview

Until Jun changed the topic, “Let’s have lunch tomorrow with Masami. However don’t tell her. It would be a surprise.” “You never changed. You are still the same old Matsumoto Jun who loves to create scenes. You still have a lot of schemes.” Mao said. Jun smiled and said, “But to tell you the truth I became a little conservative with my schemes.” “I see. Then I’ll continue my interrogation tomorrow.” Mao said standing up, preparing to leave. “I’ll bring you home.” Jun offered. Mao smiled and said, “Thanks but no thanks. I can manage myself.” And Mao went out.

As she was walking out of the house she met Aiba. He was surprised to see her, totally. Mao then greeted, “Konnichi Wa!” He was unable to believe Mao was actually there. He remembered very well how Mao told him, she wouldn’t want to go back to Jun’s mansion or anywhere near the perimeter area ever again.

It was a day before Mao flew to New York. Aiba had visited her, seeing if she was okay. Mao was crying. She then said, “Okay? I am not okay, Aiba! Can’t you see my eyes are sullen? I’ve been crying for days because of your best friend. You just don’t know how much it hurts me. I loved him so much and… And… a week before we were bound up to get married he sends me a letter telling me that we are not meant to be. Do you think I’m okay Aiba? Am I okay?” Mao said nothing at all since he was aware that Mao is right. Jun shouldn’t have broken up in a letter. Mao then continued, “I don’t want to go to his house. Even if that’s the only place left in the universe I would never ever. I would never want to see his face again.”

“Aiba-kun why are you frozen?” Toma called out as he followed behind Aiba. When he traced his gaze he saw his friend Inoue Mao. “Mao-chan! It’s so good to see you! I miss you so much!” he exclaimed hugging Mao. She hugged him back and said, “Toma, I miss you a lot too. However I need to go now and start doing my article.” “Well, Pi-chan told me that you are a columnist in Time’s magazine. So you are doing a column about Jun and Nagasawa-san’s engagement?” Toma uttered. “Well it would be the cover article for the next issue.” She boasted. Toma then asked, “How are you with it? I mean, is this okay with you?” “You can ask Pi-chan, Maki and Kame-kun about that. They’ve asked me that same question yesterday. Anyong Haseo Aiba-san, Toma-kun.” She uttered, kissing Toma’s cheek as she left.

Later that night Jun had called Masami to ask if she would be able for his plans tomorrow. “I’m sorry, hon. I have a meeting and I can’t cancel it. Why?” she informed. Jun had explained what he really wanted since she can’t go anyway. “You better stick to it. Let Mao enjoy her stay here in Japan. She’s leaving on Wednesday.” Masami ordered. Jun thought of Mao and said, “Of course, I will make her enjoy it. Good night.” “Good night.” She sweetly said.

Masami looked out the window. “Inoue Mao, do you still love that name Jun?” she asked, staring out the far horizon. A tear dropped from her eyes.

The next morning when Mao had just waked up the doorbell rang twice, ‘Ding Dong’. It was Mao’s nanny who went and opened the door. She was surprised to see Jun. “Ohayou Gozaimasu, Matsumoto-san. I hope your fiancé knows that you went here. I don’t want Mao-sama in trouble especially if it’s because of the guy who hurt her a year ago, which is you.” She greeted. It was an unpleasant one and Jun had expected it from her. Jun smiled and said, “Ohayou. Well, Masami knows I ma her e and I’m not going to cause any trouble for Mao. Here are flowers for you. He gave a bouquet of pink and yellow carnations. (As Jun remembered was her favorite) “Arigatou.” She articulated as she allowed Jun in.

When Mao went down already dressed she was surprised to see Jun alone, sitting on the couch. “Ohayou.” He greeted her with a smile. “Where is Masami?” Mao asked. “You look so beautiful with your pink dress.” Jun complimented. “Well, thank you but I was asking where Masami is? Is she not coming?” Mao repeated her question. “Iko so?” he didn’t mind answering her question.

They drove to a road familiar to Mao’s memories. Jun had brought his black car. Jun with his eyes on the road then said, “So far are you relaxing?” “Honestly no, I’ve been doing work. I have no time for that.” Mao honestly confessed. Jun as always had been so care free that Mao could say almost anything to him without any hesitation. “You should relax and have fun a bit. We are still young and we can still enjoy life. Work may be one of our priorities but ourselves are our priorities as well. You know Mao I never imagined you to be like this. I didn’t mean something is wrong with you but you had been the one who taught me to take things slowly. You told me to give a little time for myself and not to overdo work.” Jun uttered. Jun is right, she’d been the one reminding him to slow down things before. But maybe, this is just a proof that nothing is permanent in this world except change. “Where is Masami?” she asked. Jun with eyes on the road then said, “You’ll know when we get to the restaurant.” Mao knew where the road was going and the nearest restaurant on this path was a restaurant she thought she would never dare visit again. It felt uncomfortable again. It was a silent 15-minute drive before they got to the restaurant.

Finally they came to their destination. It was a special one. It was the restaurant Mao and Jun had always gone to a year ago. This place had witnessed a lot of memories such as valentine dates, white days, their birthdays and many more special occasions in their life. All the memories that were buried deep down in their hearts and minds rushed again like flowing waters from the waterfalls to the streams. Mao had looked for Mao in any of the tables, but she was nowhere to be found.

“Are you sure it is okay to let them be alone together?” Toda Erika asked. Masami was signing papers at that time. She placed the ball pen down and said, “Well, they are friends. Best Friends nothing would go wrong.” “Well if you forgot they were ex-couples and it was just one year ago.” Erika reminded. Masami smiled and said, “Nothing would go wrong. Jun loves me and we’re getting married soon. I trust them.” “Come on Nagasawa-san! Mao and Jun were the sweetest and most perfect lovers ever. They’ve gone through so many things as lovers and as best friends. So you still aren’t threatened?” she informed. Masami leaden on her chair and reminded her, “Not at all. Jun broke up with Mao remember? Jun loves me and he chose to let go of her.” “By the way you speak I am quiet doubtful if you really are her best friend.” Erika scrutinized her expression. Masami grinned and challenged, “What do you think?”

They situated themselves in a not so crowded place and a place where they can see the beautiful view of the bistro’s garden. A lad came with a bouquet of red roses that were beautifully taken cared of.

“Here, this is for you. Gome Nasai that’s all that was available.” Jun handed the bouquet of roses to her hesitating.

“Arigatou. It is a gift anyway. I have no right to complain since it is a gift. So where’s Masami?” Mao uttered. “Well she’s not coming she has an important meeting. I didn’t tell you right away I know if I told you wouldn’t be coming with me.” Jun uttered. Mao then asked, “Does she know about this?” “Pretty much. She wants you to enjoy your stay. Actually we got a couple of things to do.” He uttered. Mao then protested, “Jun I have loads of things to do.” Jun then said, “Mao, enjoy your life. Life is long but at the same time short that is why we need to make each day spectacular”. Mao sighed and looked at him. She then said, “Jun, we are already adults. We are kids no more. We are already the adults that who were our future before. We have lots of responsibilities and each of it needs to be attended and done.” “Mao your work is in New York and you are miles away New York. Let me remind you Inoue Mao you are here in Japan, the island, the country you were born and had grown.” Jun argued. Mao then said, “But I am still working.” “Fine. You work but you need to come with me. You’ll work while enjoying. No more protests, requests and arguments. That’s it, let’s eat.” Jun said. Mao had been defeated and they ordered their food. In the outside it looked like a lunch date but it was not like that to them. For Mao it was merely business as for Jun it was a lunch reunion, after all they were good friends in the past they tried to burry. After the meal they headed to another place.

“Where are we going?” Mao asked. With his eyes on the road he said, “You’ll know when we get there.” “I have the right to where you are going to bring me!” Mao protested. “Mao, of all the things in you that changed, why did it not have to be the Ms. Complaining you? It should have but well it’s okay. At least now I know you are still the loud mouthed Inoue Mao that I knew.” Jun teased. Mao sighed and pouted. Jun then said, “What happened? Fine. We are going to your favorite place.”

“What is this?! Horses! Jun explain!” Mao exclaimed in horror upon arriving at the equestrian team’s clubhouse. This was actually where Mao first and last went horseback ridding. This the worst place she had ever went to in her life. “Well, I told you we are going to your favorite place and here we are now.” Jun grinned widely. Mao sighed, ‘This is going to be my death be.’

The interior design of the clubhouse didn’t change that much since the last time Mao saw it. “Mao-chan!” Maki exclaimed. “Jun where’s Masami?” Yamapi asked. “I am here with her best friend. I was tasked to make her enjoy her last day here and I’m going to make it a full Blast.” Jun explained. “Is this a date?” Maki asked.

“Hai, a friendly date.” Jun uttered confidently not asking for Mao’s opinion. Mao then contradicted, “Iie. We are not on a date and we are not friends, we are enemies. I am just doing this for my job.” “As what you say.” Jun grinned. “Hmph…” Mao snubbed.

Now everything was set. Mao didn’t really learn equestrian even she had been coming here with Jun and the rest before. She really hates horses, but now she was ridding on one. The horse galloped fast and she was really panicking. At her back was Jun; he was the one controlling the horse, its speed and direction. “I’m going to die! I’m dying! I’m dying!” Mao shouted, panicking more and more. At the end of the ride Jun was laughing hard. “That was what you also said on your first horseback ridding experience. If you can just see your own face.” Jun . “Hey I didn’t! It wasn’t funny!” Mao argued but Jun continued on laughing and teasing her.

‘This two sure looks like what they were before. Is this really going to end like this?” Maki thought as they went for soda. After a little chitchat they proceeded to their next pit stop, the theme park in Hosho.

“Why there? Isn’t it a bit far from here?” Mao asked as they were driving away. “I have my shortcuts. Besides Hosho theme park was our favorite, remember? You wouldn’t want to go to any other theme park since you just wanted that one. Why was that so? I never figured that out.” Jun reminded her.

It was a special day for the Inoue family since Mao had received her first medal on that day. Mao had just graduated from her elementary. She was so proud of it that she claims she needs to be given a prize, but her parents didn’t pay much attention to that. Well, for them a medal is a must have and it needs not to be given a reward. Well, Mao was stubborn and she didn’t really like the idea of not getting a reward for being the most intelligent student of their batch.

While playing on the swing at the park, Jun came and had listened to what she felt. Jun then said, “Then as a reward I’ll bring you to a theme park, the best theme park ever. I’ll bring you to Hosho.” Jun over exaggerated. “Hosho?” Mao asked.

“You’ll never know why.” Mao said, teasing. ‘Because you are the only reason why I want to be there.’ Mao seriously continued in her thoughts. “Fine.” Jun surrendered as he parked the car. The theme park was huge and gigantic., very colorful, attractive and most of all it has a special part in her life. Jun then said, “Let’s go?” Mao smiled and nodded. The theme park was filled with a lot of happy people specifically couples and the two looked like one too. They rode on the different rides and felt the same excitement as what they felt before. They felt like they were back to the past when they were still 18 years old. It was the first theme park they’ve ever gone as a couple. Well, it was the only theme park they always visit. They were so exhausted and not to mention very hungry.

“So where do you want to eat?” Jun asked as they were driving back to Tokyo. Mao then suggested, “I’ll call home and let Asanami-san prepare dinner. Better yet we call Masami to come over and join us.” “She can’t go. She told me she’d be busy until late night.” Jun responded. He can’t understand why he said that but he just did. He told her those things without thinking. “That’s too bad. But would you like to come over?” she invited like the way she used to invite Jun when they were still in high school and they were good friends at that time. The long drive home was a bit noisy. Let’s just say they’ve forgotten about the broken relationship between them. They felt like they were what they were before.

Arriving at the mansion, dinner was ready. It was scrumptious. The glass table at the dinning hall was well prepared. It added a tinge of romance. It was no dinner in candlelight though, since the luxurious 10 billion chandelier brightly illuminated the dinning area specially made for them from Paris. They ate while they talked, laughed about what they had shared before.

As they came to the end of their dinner they realized it was already twilight. Mao then said, “You better take care of Masami.” It hurts a lot to say that because it meant she was really letting go of him and putting an end to whatever bond they have. It really was the end of the road for them. She felt the mirth of the day was fading had was replaced by extreme remorse. “I will. Promise me then that you will take care of yourself.” Jun said. His heart was pierced. He felt guilty on the events happening now. The places they’ve went to today had brought back memories along with the past emotions they have tried to burry. “Thank you for today.” Mao said and that was her goodbye.

She ran to her room crying as soon as she knew the car of Jun had hovered away. She looked out at the sky and said, “This is twilight. It has finally come to an end…”

“… It has come to a sad ending. The love story we have cherished has found a remorseful ending. Is this really sayonara, my love?” Jun thought as he drove.

These two people broke into tears thinking about each other, their broken hearts and their paths that would not intersect again. They thought this was the end. Early morning the next day Mao had left Japan again. She went back to her busy life in New York but before she left she had asked her nanny to plant new roses in their garden.