Chapter 1- Invitation

Thorns and Roses


Chapter 1 [invitation]

It has been a year and Mao was healed from their break up, but roses remained on her hate list. And she still does not love anyone yet. Right now she is staying in an apartment in the busy streets of New York.

As Mao was writing her next article for the ‘Times’ magazine the doorbell rang and it was the mailman. The letters were mostly from readers; only two letters were different. One was from the company and the other was an invitation for the engagement party of Matsumoto Jun and Nagasawa Masami. ‘’Who could have sent this to me?’ Mao thought. It would be impossible for Jun to know where Mao was, but she totally forgot the fact that Masami is her best friend.

She placed the letter on the table along with the other letters. Then she went back to what she was doing.

Masami and Mao met each other in New York. It was one month after her break up with Jun. Meeting a Japanese along one of the sidewalks of the big city, the two clicked right away. It all started with chitchats and coffee. Eventually they became best friends. Not one of their chitchats mentioned about Mao’s relationship with Jun and how they broke up. It was something she wants to forget.

Masami and Mao’s friendship blossomed, however Masami had to say goodbye. Her parents had asked her to go back to Japan. Mao was again left alone, though they still contact each other up until now.

‘CRIIING…’ It rang three times. Mao was surprised with the phone’s ringing. She stood up and got it. “Hello, May I know who this is please?” she answered. “Mao-chan! This is Masami! Have you got the invitation I sent?” It was Masami. She was as always giddy and happy. Mao then said, “Oh! How can I forget? It is you who sent me. Maybe I was too preoccupied. Well, I just got it this morning. I am not sure…” “I won’t take no for an answer. I don’t want my best friend to miss this kind of spectacular event in my life.” Masami said; she was excited. Mao sighed for she knew the more she would say no the more Masami becomes pushy. She then said, “I’ll try.” “Oh come on. I need a YES a big yes. This is just a once in a lifetime experience. Besides, I would like you to meet and judge my fiancé. Tell me whether he is okay to be my husband.” Masami said. Mao hesitated. She then said, “I really do not know. I’m busy and I need to make…” “You can make an article about Jun and me. Two of the richest company owners met cupid. That would be a bang. If you won’t come it would be the end of the world.” Masami persuaded. Mao knew no matter how many important reasons she’d present Masami would persuade her more and more. She then sighed, “Fine. I’ll go.” “That’s a promise. I don’t want to find your present without your presence, like what you did on my birthday.” She reminded her. “Hai. It’s a promise. Expect my present and my presence.” She said. “Good! See you then. Bye.” She giddily uttered.

Mao looked around and realized she did the wrong thing. ‘Would it be okay for me to see him again? Will I be able to handle it? What will he do when we see each other again?’

“What will I do when I see her again? Aiba I am…” Jun exclaimed. He was at the state of confusion. Aiba then said, “Jun, you have said goodbye to her already. She is your past and Masami is your present. If you continue with what you are feeling right now Masami would be hurt. No, not only her, the three of you will.” Aiba is Jun’s best friend. He is a complete playboy and loud-mouthed, but sometimes which includes this moment he can give good and serious advices that he himself needs. Jun pondered on that. It hit him straight at the bull’s eye.

Mao was able to get a flight on a Saturday morning and it was the day of Masami’s engagement. When she came out of the airport, she saw Masami giddily waving. She waved back to her with a smile. She then ran to her best friend. They kissed each other’s cheeks. She then asked, “Are you alone?” “No.” Masami gleefully said. “Who’s with you? Mao interrogated, fearing it would be the guy she didn’t want to see. Suddenly when all hopes were draining, Jun approached Masami. ‘Oh my god!’ Mao whispered under her breath, frustrated. Jun kissed Masami’s cheeks and said, “Sorry for letting you wait. We were stuck on traffic…” “Mao-chan! Long time no see! How are you?” Aiba greeted from his silver Volvo car. Mao weakly smiled and said, “Aiba-san, it is nice seeing you again. You didn’t change that much, physically. Are you still the same old Mr. Playboy?” Aiba slyly smiled and shrugged. Masami was clinging on Jun’s arms. She then asked in astonishment, “Do you know each other?” “No.” Mao and Aiba chorused. Mao pressed her lips and Aiba continued, “It’s not us. Actually Jun and Mao are good friends. Do you remember it Mao-san?” “Honto Ni?! Jun you didn’t tell me. Mao, You too. Both of you Kirai desu. I hate you all.” Masami whined pouting. Mao then acted surprised, “Oh? I never imagined it would be Matsumoto Jun-san. You were actually getting married with Matsumoto Jun? I never knew that not until now.” She then turned to Jun, “So how’s life Jun-san?” She was disgusted with herself lying to her best friend. Masami then said, “Mao where on Earth were you when you read my invitation? It was written there.” “Preoccupied. That’s the simplest reason I can give you.” Mao said. Jun then said, “It’s nice seeing you again” Mao smiled at him fraudly. Together they awkwardly bowed down to each other. “Jun why did you not tell me?” Masami demanded again. “Didn’t I tell you? If I remember it right I had told you all about her when you showed me one of her pictures.” He lied. Masami sighed and said, “Never mind. You two got loads of things to tell me but before that let’s go and feed our stomach first.” “Uhmm… Masami, if it would be fine with you I’d like to invite you over at my house.” Mao invited, unsure if that was the right thing to do. “Are we invited too?” Aiba asked. Mao weakly smiled and half-heartedly nodded. It would be rude if she won’t. “I’m not sure…” Jun started, but to his surprise Mao said, “Daijobu. As what Masami had told me over the phone, she wanted me to meet her soon to be fiancé. It might only be the available time a busy person like you can give, am I right, Jun?” “Well if you insist.” Jun uttered.

After putting Mao’s luggage at the trunk, they hovered to the Inoue mansion. Masami and Mao were seated at the back seat and the two boys sat beside each other at the front seat with Aiba driving the car. ‘Tokyo didn’t change that much. Silly me! I was just away for one year, of course it won’t change that much. Demo… I wonder why I feel like I’ve never been to this place.’ She thought as she passed by different buildings, streets, houses, stores and a lot more.

Arriving at Mao’s place they were welcomed by the servants. And Mao’s parents were not around. The servants who were there were new to Jun and even to Mao. She only recognized one and that was her nanny ever since. Mao hugged her and joyfully said, “I miss you so much. A year away from you is like forever.”

What Mao had said to her nanny ringed in Jun’s head again and again. Mao before has already said that line. It was when Jun had to go abroad for one week. Having reunited in the airport, Mao ran to Jun and hugged him tightly. “A week away from you is like forever.” Mao whispered sweetly unto his ears.

Her nanny had recognized JUN but Mao had called earlier and told her never to talk about her past relationship with him. She had explained the whole situation to her. She then introduced, “Asami-san this is Masami my best friend and she’s going to get engaged with Jun-san. Remember him right? And Aiba as well.” Her nanny wore a smile and said, “Oh yes. I remember them very much, especially Matsumoto-san. Congratulations then.” Jun and Masami bowed down together as a thank you. Asami then said, “I’ll leave you now. I still need to bring your things up to your room. If ever you would like to eat, we had prepared the lunch at the garden.” “Arigatou Asami-san.” Mao said as Asami went up along with two servants bringing Mao’s luggage.

Then they went to the garden. Jun found it easy to go about any corners of the mansion, but Masami was a bit afraid of getting lost or she might enter the wrong room. Jun remembered a lot of things. At each corner they take there were imprinted memories from the very least to the greatest.

Reaching the wide glass door connecting the main house to the garden, the scenery changed. They slid it open and they found themselves under the bright gleaming sun. Jun and Mao had shared so many memories in this very place. They looked at each other and away. Jun knew Mao loves roses and there were roses planted there but he was surprised to have not seen one. Curios he asked, “You love roses right? If I remember it right at that potion of this garden we used to plant rose and wait for them to bloom beautifully. How come I see not one there?” “Honto ni?! Mao told me she hates roses. In fact she hates it more than any other flower. You have a poor memory Jun.” Masami contradicted, but Jun was sure of what he was saying. Actually both of them stand uncorrected. Mao then explained, “Masami, Jun is right. We used to plant roses before but still you stand uncorrected. Somewhere in the month of June I started hating it. There was a certain event that triggered me to hate it. And I am not planning to talk about that.” She knew if she hadn’t said that Masami would be forcing her to spit the story out of her. “Yeah. I agree to what she said.” Aiba rumbled.

While they were eating Mao and Jun would take quick secret glances. Being at that garden reminded them of what they were before. It was remorseful, painful, yet eating like that with Jun again it just made her feel like what she felt for him in the blurry buried past. Love.